Media Play stores closing

Doylerulez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
A chain of music and entertainment stores is closing down early next year. Media Play, which has several locations in Western New York will announce a liquidation sale at all stores starting today. The company cites declining sales.

According to CBS News, the sale could end and the stores would shut down by the end of January.
I caught this on the news this morning, not sure what kind of liquidation sales have started yet, but it may be worth keeping an eye out for, I know stores near me still have stacks of things like Steel Battalion that were at $200.

I have no doubt that the one in Antioch, TN will be closed.

The reason they're having "declining sales" is because everything is grossly overpriced.. or someone doesn't update the tags. Need For Speed Underground (1) is $19.99 new, $39.99 used there. Yeah. Not kidding.

Most of the Media Plays closed around here in Atlanta last year. I think there are 1 or 2 left.

I was a pretty good customer to them...they had some good DVD sales at times, but you are right, their video games were usually overpriced. I liked thier frequent-shopper Replay Rewards program, and was always earning a lot of gift certificates. Especially when they had Replay days, and you earned double or tripple points.

I remember I bought my Gamecube from them on a tripple-point day (way back when the console was $150 and you got a choice of free game of Starfox Adv, Res Evil 0, Luigi's Mansion, or Mario Party 4) plus I preordered Zelda Windwaker (and got the Ocarina of Time promo disc free) that day. The free game and the preordered game was added into the points total somehow, and I wound up getting a $45 gift certificate. Plus, when I went a couple weeks later to pick up my Windwaker, their computer showed me as having prepaid the entire cost of the game, when actually I had only put down $10. Needless to say, I didn't argue with them.

I will miss Media Play.

[quote name='gizmogc']Is Media Play owned by Suncoast/Sam Goody? We don't have one out here in CA[/QUOTE]

I believe they are... the $9 clearance games at Media Play were also at Sam Goody, but I can't remember if I ever saw anyone say they found any at Suncoast.

Hopefully this means a bunch of newer games will be uber cheap. :D

[quote name='gizmogc']Is Media Play owned by Suncoast/Sam Goody? We don't have one out here in CA[/QUOTE]
we do have media play in califorina.

Yes, they are all owned by the same company.

Seems to me like they might be consolidating their entertainment divisions and focusing on DVDs and music CDs. I always liked shopping at Media Play because they had such of huge selection...books, CDs, DVDs, video games, magazines, all kinds of stuff under one roof. They always had a huge selection of computer games too.

But, they were never very busy (at least one ones here in Atlanta). They had some good sales every now and then, but mostly everything was at the standard MSRP. I remember always checking out their clearance bin and never finding anything but crap.

At one time, they dealt in used games too, but they did away with that part of their business awhile ago (and a shame, too...I found some good deals there...I remember I got Lunar 1 (ps1) for $20 used).

They have some media plays in malls in california. I believe there's a rather large one in the Great mall in milpitas. Either way it's no real suprise. I doubt the sale will be that good since it will be much like the good guys liquidation where they have already found a company to buy remaining stock.

[quote name='Doylerulez']I caught this on the news this morning, not sure what kind of liquidation sales have started yet, but it may be worth keeping an eye out for, I know stores near me still have stacks of things like Steel Battalion that were at $200.[/QUOTE]

Oh man they just (relatively) built that Media Play on Transit/Youngs. Hopefully that one doesnt close. If it does, I'm sure another pizza joint will fill it... somehow

[quote name='MadChedar0']Oh man they just (relatively) built that Media Play on Transit/Youngs. Hopefully that one doesnt close. If it does, I'm sure another pizza joint will fill it... somehow[/QUOTE]

im pretty sure all stores are closing

Man, the location here in Utica(? Maybe Sterling Heights?), MI doesn't seem to get much business at all. I never thought it was in a very good spot though. Kind of sitting back behind a Mercedes dealership and near a Home Depot. Not a great spot. The place I used to live at (about 30 minutes from the Middletown, NY location) didn't afford me the time to visit often enough to guage the activity there. I like Media Play and hope that they don't all close.

It's really too bad that they went downhill. Years ago the Kennesaw, GA store used to be a great place to get PC games. Huge selection and really good prices. If I remember correctly they had a really nice selection of Dreamcast games for a while too. Since then it's been a slow decline. The store doesnt seem very well kept now, the software selection is average at best and the PC game selection is abysmal. Not only that but it's tucked away in an odd corner of the store.

As others have mentioned the prices have gotten out of control too. It's the only store I know that sells DVDs at the $25-30 MSRP when they're released.

Interesting side note, last time I was there the store had a TON of the GBA eReader bundles. Of course there's no reason to buy one when they are asking $80 but if they were to clearance those out....

I checked Media Play in Milpitas, CA (it's inside the great mall). They had big signs that mentioned their store closing sale. Didn't see any kind of sale or signage in their video games section, most of it was still left, lots of good stuff. Not sure when the sales on that stuff will be.

bread's done
Back