Media Play Trade-in Ending (YMMV?)

damack

CAGiversary!
Yes, yet another Media Play Trade-In topic.

I called my local Media Play and asked them about the deal (have to do this every Tuesday since the person at the register often dictates how lenient they are) and they told me that today is the last day that they are doing the offer.

Just a heads-up.

I finally did the trade in deal last week for Donkey Konga, but they didn't have it in stock (they did when I got there, go figure). The employee didn't even know about it till I told him to look at the ad.

The 4 for 1 deal is temporary, as it normally was 5 for 1. I believe it was part of the grand reopening special they were doing.

This has been weeks in the making. They stopped advertising the trade in specials about 3 weeks ago. Today my media play told me that they weren't doing the 4 for 1 or 5 for 1 at all any more. Doesn't suprise me when people try to abuse the system and ruin a good thing.

I just called a Media Play to find out about this. I called the Antioch, TN location. They said that they are still running the deal but that they are more selective than they used to be. He said they are not taking any sports titles that aren't the current generation, they will not take demos (they were taking them before?!), bundle packs (like the Wal-Mart 3 packs), or budget titles.

I asked him what was considered a budget title and he said that he couldn't specifically name a game and that it was all in their system. He did say "If you can find a game in the clearance bin at EB for $3, we're not going to take it."

I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I've got SSX, The Thing, Wallace and Grommit, and I've got to buy one more cheap title for my 4th. My selection sounds kind of sketchy at best. We'll see how it goes.

I bet you slip right through, lebowsky. Unless they copy EB's exclusion list word for word, it's going to be a while before they build up a good list of titles to say no to.

[quote name='lebowsky']I just called a Media Play to find out about this. I called the Antioch, TN location. They said that they are still running the deal but that they are more selective than they used to be. He said they are not taking any sports titles that aren't the current generation, they will not take demos (they were taking them before?!), bundle packs (like the Wal-Mart 3 packs), or budget titles.

I asked him what was considered a budget title and he said that he couldn't specifically name a game and that it was all in their system. He did say "If you can find a game in the clearance bin at EB for $3, we're not going to take it."

I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I've got SSX, The Thing, Wallace and Grommit, and I've got to buy one more cheap title for my 4th. My selection sounds kind of sketchy at best. We'll see how it goes.[/quote]

I was there (Antioch location) last week, and they denied many sports games (I didn't have any, but the guys in front of me did), and one of my racing games from the Walmart 3-pack (luckily I had other games in my car). On the plus side, they allowed me to get a $60 game by just paying $10 in addition to my trade. What time will you be there? Maybe I will run into you (I may not make it out there tonight, I might have to help out a friend).

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='lebowsky']I just called a Media Play to find out about this. I called the Antioch, TN location. They said that they are still running the deal but that they are more selective than they used to be. He said they are not taking any sports titles that aren't the current generation, they will not take demos (they were taking them before?!), bundle packs (like the Wal-Mart 3 packs), or budget titles.

I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I've got SSX, The Thing, Wallace and Grommit, and I've got to buy one more cheap title for my 4th. My selection sounds kind of sketchy at best. We'll see how it goes.[/quote]

I was there (Antioch location) last week, and they denied many sports games (I didn't have any, but the guys in front of me did), and one of my racing games from the Walmart 3-pack (luckily I had other games in my car). On the plus side, they allowed me to get a $60 game by just paying $10 in addition to my trade. What time will you be there? Maybe I will run into you (I may not make it out there tonight, I might have to help out a friend).[/quote]

I'll probably be there between 5:30 and 6:00. I've got a couple things to do after work (buying another game for trade is one of them) and then I'm going to give it a try.

BTW, were the games you traded in about the same caliber as the stuff I have?

I can't believe it took this long. Every Media Play I've been to has unreasonable amounts of overpriced used games that will never sell, and they just keep taking in more. Obviously, this was a bad move for them, and I'm sure they've lost a ton of money with this promotion.

Confirmed this today at the media play in Henrietta, NY. This is the last day! Also, they refused 2 out of the 3 walmart bundle games. I came up short, so I won't be getting any MP6 lovin this week :whistle2:( I'll have to pay full price somewhere now.

[quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='guessed'][quote name='lebowsky']I just called a Media Play to find out about this. I called the Antioch, TN location. They said that they are still running the deal but that they are more selective than they used to be. He said they are not taking any sports titles that aren't the current generation, they will not take demos (they were taking them before?!), bundle packs (like the Wal-Mart 3 packs), or budget titles.

I was there (Antioch location) last week, and they denied many sports games (I didn't have any, but the guys in front of me did), and one of my racing games from the Walmart 3-pack (luckily I had other games in my car). On the plus side, they allowed me to get a $60 game by just paying $10 in addition to my trade. What time will you be there? Maybe I will run into you (I may not make it out there tonight, I might have to help out a friend).[/quote]

I'll probably be there between 5:30 and 6:00. I've got a couple things to do after work (buying another game for trade is one of them) and then I'm going to give it a try.

BTW, were the games you traded in about the same caliber as the stuff I have?[/quote]

I don't imagine you'd have a problem with those, except possibly SSX, but even that will probably go through. If they don't go through at Antioch, 100 Oaks isn't that far away, and might be worth trying. There is no chance I'll be there that early though. Good luck.

This always happens when people abuse the system. Deals will disappear after so much abuse. It is also the company's fault for not excluding alot of the titles that they were losing money on.

-rant-
Now I wish that they would do this with welfare and government assistance. I hate seeing my tax dollars going to professional parasites.
-end rant-

I don't necesarily think it was because of people abusing the system. I think this was just an extra-long promotion to get in stock for their used games section. They give crap in trade, so they had to do something to get some stock in. Now that they have some stock, they don't need to lose more money on this trade in thing.

[quote name='JohnnyA']I don't necesarily think it was because of people abusing the system. I think this was just an extra-long promotion to get in stock for their used games section. They give crap in trade, so they had to do something to get some stock in. Now that they have some stock, they don't need to lose more money on this trade in thing.[/quote]

If they give crap in trade value, why would they expect not to get crap in return?

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='guessed'][quote name='lebowsky']I just called a Media Play to find out about this. I called the Antioch, TN location. They said that they are still running the deal but that they are more selective than they used to be. He said they are not taking any sports titles that aren't the current generation, they will not take demos (they were taking them before?!), bundle packs (like the Wal-Mart 3 packs), or budget titles.

BTW, were the games you traded in about the same caliber as the stuff I have?[/quote]

I don't imagine you'd have a problem with those, except possibly SSX, but even that will probably go through. If they don't go through at Antioch, 100 Oaks isn't that far away, and might be worth trying. There is no chance I'll be there that early though. Good luck.[/quote]

Well I went last night. I was wrong about SSX, I actually had Tony Hawk 3 (lol, which is worse?). I went to CD Warehouse and picked up Downhill Domination for about $12 and then headed over.

They gave me absolutely no problems. My total credit for the 4 games was $17. Walked out with Paper Mario 2.

I think I'll make sure I plan all of my trips to Nashville around new game releases!

Thanks for the details on this deal everyone.

[quote name='dwsscs']Wasn't this trade in on Tuesdays only?[/quote]

Yes, yesterday was Tuesday.

I went last night and pulled a few off of the rack to have them check (old sports titles, X Squad, other cheapo games). The computer refused each and every one, saying that they were not acceptable for trade in. The worker at the desk thought that it was based on the number of copies of the game currently in stock but I suspect it may be more likely a blacklist.

I don't know if others can confirm that this deal is ending but my friend went to Media Play (Antioch, TN location) on Tuesday (12/14) and they said they were no longer participating in the 4 for 1 deal.

I got in on it the week before with no problems. Maybe this isn't a YMMV, maybe it's all Media Play locations.

bread's done
Back