Media Play's Closing: 70-80% off LAST FEW DAYS

[quote name='rywateska']Is there a press release for this? Online article? I can't find anything. Are all the stores closing or are just some? A list? So many questions...

Hopefully my Replay points can still be used at Sam Goody. I signed up for the program in November, any idea how long it takes to send the first gift coupon for doing that?[/QUOTE]

Musicland Group is closing down the entire Media Play chain, all stores.

[quote name='kjauburn']At this point I will make a trip when they hit 40% off. With a quick shutdown I would expect another drop before christmas...[/QUOTE]

You can count on it. Which couple of stores are you closest to? Mine are Kennesaw and either North Point or Johnsons Ferry.

[quote name='neocisco']That's partially correct. BB actually bought the entire Musicland Group which includes Sam Goody, Media Play, Suncoast and On Cue. They realized what a $ pit it is and basically sold them back their independence. MG closed most of the Suncoast stores a couple of years ago and is now shutting down the entire MP chain. On Cue is basically a smaller version of MP for smaller markets but I don't know if any of those are still open.

Mediaplay.com will probably stay up for a while to burn off any left over merchandise that's not liquidated and can't be sold at Sam Goody. My local MP said they will close at the end of January or whenever they sell everything, whichever happens first. I have about $100 in store credit that I'll need to use.

BTW, my local store also confirmed that all sales are final as of Sunday, 12/11 so make sure you want to keep what you're buying.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Best Buy didn't sell them back, they just gave it away. It was an easy out for them because then they weren't stuck with Musicland's debt.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Actually, Best Buy didn't sell them back, they just gave it away. It was an easy out for them because then they weren't stuck with Musicland's debt.[/QUOTE]

tomato, tomahto.;)

[quote name='neocisco']tomato, tomahto.;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just think its worth noting because it emphasizes just how bad of an investment musicland was for best buy.

i just bought 3 nintendogs bundles there last week, i made sure to ask the lady what the return policy was, she told me 30 days. looks like a return and rebuy might be in my near future...

[quote name='strowe']Went to a Media Play today outside of Buffalo, NY. Huge signs up saying "Everything 20-40% Off", except for games which are only 10%. But everything is a rip-off now. Besides the 20-40% (by the way, did not see one thing that was higher than 20% off), there are no more sale prices. So they went to their original prices on everything, which were extremely high to begin with.

I'll give you an example: The latest Family Guy DVD set has a sticker price of 36.99 there and is 20% off, so that's 29.59 before tax. However, before sunday it was on sale for 25.99 before tax. So if you went into the store Saturday, you actually got a better deal than with their closing sale on Sunday. All the signs say take the % off of the lowest sticker price, but the only price on everything is the original outrageous price.

Plus, they won't let you use your replay card on your purchase, despite the cashier telling me that it is still valid at Sam Goody, Suncoast and Mediaplay.com (which for some reason is not closing). I wanted to argue the point, but knew I wouldn't get anywhere with it.

The videogame clearance is a joke. Wow, 10% off of a 19.99 game is 17.99. Yes, it is a cheaper price, but I probably spent more in gas to get there. I say wait until higher markdowns come; right now it's a waste of time.[/QUOTE]

And when you consider the 9% sales tax, you barely save anything :razz:

I did Manage to score some TNA Wrestling DVDs that were decently priced even before discounts.

I will miss Media Play, they were the source of my anime, and to a lesser extent, Wrestling DVDs.

For any musicians out there, the 40% off applies to music books - I got a big fat AC/DC book for $17. They have tablature and standard notation. Best part of the deal so far.

got shot down trying to do my return/rebuy, the guy said i could return it but he wouldnt sell it back to me (wtf is that)? he said he wasnt gonna get in trouble by letting me return and rebuy it. I was thinking about arguing and telling him he is out of a job anyway in a month, but i figured since i can get $200 on ebay anyway it wasnt worth it...

Video Games = 10%
DVDs = 20%
Anime toys = 20%-30%
Wallscrolls and character standups (Homer Simpson, Darth Vader, ect.) = 40%

I went to the media play in my town earlier tonight and they were flippin' packed! This store normally has about 5-10 cars in the parking lot at its most busy times. Looks like I'm gonna have a heck of a time finding anything decent by the time the percentages increase.

I just signed up for their fucking replay rewards program. Anyone know how long it takes to get the first coupon? knowing my luck, my Media Play will close down before I get the coupon, haha!

[quote name='Sulmona']the replay certificates wont be valid as the guy told me "media play no longer owns this merchandise"[/QUOTE]
They should still be redeemable for now, as they had no problem accepting mine. They no longer give replay points for any purchases though.

Also if you don't get them in the mail before they close, they are also valid at Sam Goody and Suncoast (I know of 1 SG by me, and it sucks). Same goes for gift cards/gift certificates, I got my x-mas present from a co-worker early, but she asked and they are valid at the other stores as well as online, since the website will be open longer than the store.

You should be able to chuck those nintendogs bundles on ebay for around 200$ each, at least thats what i heard the going rate is for them! There was an extremely limited production run of these and they sold out very fast, so they are difficult to find!

Dont be decieved by the number of cars in the lot, we noticed that when we went into media play, there were tons of cars in the lot and like no people in line at the store. People were looking around and stuff but not buying anything, at least thats what i saw.

The store I went to today didn't have any remarkable deals, but there were some good prices on Xbox 360 accessories. (All video game accessories are 20% off).

It may be a good idea to make this thread a sticky since all Media Play stores are closing and this sale will be going on until they shut down.

I'm not surprised to see this happen. I remember when Media Play had a store right a few doors down from the CC that I work at now and it was ALWAYS dead in there since between the prices being high and the over saturation of other media stores in the area it was pretty obvious that Media Play wouldn't last.

The building that Media Play used to be in is now a JoAnn Fabrics store. :lol:

I'm waiting till they at least hit 40% off on Anime before I buy anything, some stuff I won't touch till it's at least 60%

[quote name='Drahken']I'm waiting till they at least hit 40% off on Anime before I buy anything, some stuff I won't touch till it's at least 60%[/QUOTE]

Yeah unfortunately unless it's something that never goes on sale else where, it's gonna be a while before alot of stuff can actually be considered a deal. I'm hoping to make a killing in the CD and DVD sections once things near the 50 or 60 percent off mark.

[quote name='Rihan']Video Games = 10%
DVDs = 20%
Anime toys = 20%-30%
Wallscrolls and character standups (Homer Simpson, Darth Vader, ect.) = 40%[/QUOTE]

Lame. Super lame. I was going to swing by today, but 10% off isn't worth the time.

Yeah, it sucks cause we went there last Friday, and forgot to get our triple rewards points coupon scanned.

Called them back on Saturday and was told by the cashier that they weren't doing those anymore and that if I'd hold she'd get a manager.

I waited for 15 minutes, and gave up. Then I heard the news this morning..

Ah well.. great selection of stuff, but ridiculous prices. Shame to hear about the rewards points not being honored/given out anymore. Maybe the manager has some substitution or something?

I just stopped today....nothing really that great. DVD's for 20% off are nice, but they are pretty much MSRP, so it''s not great, but ok....probably cheaper online for most.

Video Games for 10% off...I passed

20% off VIDEO GAME ACCESSORIES is nice....you can get some 360 stuff for 20% off. My store had controllers, P&C Kit and the wireless adaptor.

The t-shirts are a good deal at 30% off (i just went today), most of the shirts are shirts that other stores sell for around 18-20$ and since the shirt i bought cost 16.99 originally it came to under 12$

The accessories for 20% off is a nice deal. The 10$ best buy coupon and the other coupons availible surpass the 10% off games though. You can probably find dvd's for cheaper elsewhere.

The 20% off used dvd's isnt bad, and my media play had tons of used anime (god too many series ive never even heard of!).

[quote name='ndrake']The Media Play at the Ross Park Mall in Pittsburgh is having this sale. Scored a PSOne LCD for $3.80.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you didn't kill the store and that there's stuff left?

[quote name='ndrake']The Media Play at the Ross Park Mall in Pittsburgh is having this sale. Scored a PSOne LCD for $3.80.[/QUOTE]

DAMN, that's the best find I've ever heard about there save for years ago when they had a copy of Rez, new, for $30.

Too bad that section of the mall is going to end up dead with that much empty retail space on the first floor, although that candy store is fairly tempting. How are the overall deals there, still, since my friends will probably want to run over there for some movie shopping before the holidays and all.

Man, I used to love that store for its stock...

Ive always had terrific luck finding games there. I bought my HALO edition XBOX there when they were sold out everywhere. Thats A memory Ill hold on to. :( Im going tomorrow after work. I just re-newed my Card too. MAN, im gonna miss them.

[quote name='Kapwanil']DAMN, that's the best find I've ever heard about there save for years ago when they had a copy of Rez, new, for $30.

Too bad that section of the mall is going to end up dead with that much empty retail space on the first floor, although that candy store is fairly tempting. How are the overall deals there, still, since my friends will probably want to run over there for some movie shopping before the holidays and all.

Man, I used to love that store for its stock...[/QUOTE]

Nothing good as of this past weekend and I doubt they would get new stock in. Apparently I just missed the sale but I'm assuming that anything that would have been a good deal has already been picked over (see above posts) and according to what others have said, it's worth a wait. Maybe when the clearancing really hits home will I stop by, until then, it's just not worth it.

[quote name='rywateska']Nothing good as of this past weekend and I doubt they would get new stock in. Apparently I just missed the sale but I'm assuming that anything that would have been a good deal has already been picked over (see above posts) and according to what others have said, it's worth a wait. Maybe when the clearancing really hits home will I stop by, until then, it's just not worth it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was in Media Play again today (my parents were in town and wanted to look around) and they actually had all of this week's cd/dvd releases in. I ended up picking up The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe soundtrack score for 20% and then an additional 20% off that price (not sure why I got the double discount but I wasn't complaining). The one caveat seems to be that they are putting their new releases out at MSRP so The 40 Year Old Virgin was still $24 with the clearance discount.

yeah, Dukes of Hazzard was like $22 AFTER the 20% off. i can't believe how shitty media play is, and always has been... in my area at least. I only dropped by to see if they had the psone screens, but to no avail. they had JUST the system, but even that was 50$ (and i really only want a screen).

[quote name='varsitygamer']yeah, Dukes of Hazzard was like $22 AFTER the 20% off. i can't believe how shitty media play is, and always has been... in my area at least. I only dropped by to see if they had the psone screens, but to no avail. they had JUST the system, but even that was 50$ (and i really only want a screen).[/QUOTE]
Mine has one screen/system combo still in stock but even if it was in the 20% for accessories category, it wouldn't be worth it.

This does suck. While the prices were never great, they would sometimes have a decent price on some books or music I wanted. The worst part was that it was one place where everything I like was under one roof, and in decent quantities, so it was perfect for browsing on boring days. Also, after my local game and hobby shop closed, it was the only place I could really go and browse role playing books. Now I'll have to drive an hour each way to get to the next nearest place.

My fondest Media Play memory will remain the pricing error where they sold Steel Battalion for only $100 - and seeing the look on the face of the salesperson when he saw it on the price scanner just before he literally ran to snag the last one.

[quote name='judge-z']My fondest Media Play memory will remain the pricing error where they sold Steel Battalion for only $100 - and seeing the look on the face of the salesperson when he saw it on the price scanner just before he literally ran to snag the last one.[/QUOTE]

I hit that up too. I got the two of them and sold one on ebay to recoup the cost of the one I kept.

MY MP has several PS1 screens in stock. The problem? They marked them up to original MSRP, $130, then discounted the 10%. Gee, Billy, I wonder why MP is going out of business? :imwithst:

[quote name='judge-z']My fondest Media Play memory will remain the pricing error where they sold Steel Battalion for only $100 - and seeing the look on the face of the salesperson when he saw it on the price scanner just before he literally ran to snag the last one.[/QUOTE]

I remember buying 4 or 5 of these at the time and then giving them to friends and family as presents for various occasions. I did end up selling one on eBay though. The helpful Media Play clerk even offered to special order me more copies of the game if I wanted more.

[quote name='shipwreck']I remember buying 4 or 5 of these at the time and then giving them to friends and family as presents for various occasions. I did end up selling one on eBay though. The helpful Media Play clerk even offered to special order me more copies of the game if I wanted more.[/QUOTE]

One time deal or was this a final drop for all MP stores?

[quote name='rywateska']One time deal or was this a final drop for all MP stores?[/QUOTE]

It was a one-time thing. Lasted a week or two at most. Almost everyone seems to think it was a pricing error rather than a sale, as the price went back up with no warning and there were no signs denoting a special price.

So is Suncoast closing as well ?

They are doing the 50% extra on clearance items, I spent 140$ just last week on a bunch of figures, and stuff.

They also have PSP games, but only behind the counter and up on this 10ft high shelf. Who the hell can browse that.

I went to the the MP in Toledo Ohio today and it was pretty much the same thing there as all you guys have posted. The DVDs and music discounts were a joke so I didnt go anywhere near them but I loaded up on some books and got Silent Hill 3 (PC) and Soldier of Fortune Platinum for $7.99 each. Also got Rogue Ops for PS2 for $4.99 but I think its been that price on like ebgames.com for the longest time anyway.

Well, I just got back from MediaPlay in Sterling Heights MI. The store was packed with people and the store was well stocked with banners and such. I hit the figures first 10% off. Blah..I then hit the used games 10% there if you want Copies of Project Eden for Ps2...Then The normal game Isle.

10% off all regular games and the area. No further promotions. that was all $8.99 1-2 weeks earlier is now back to $19.99-$29.99 with 10% :censored:smacked on it. I asked the girls when The final closing will be and they said mid to late January, They arent telling employees and the Prices will DROP big time (quoting her) after Christmas. SO your better off waiting. Im still gonna hit it every weekend. Its nice there is no refunds so Thats less of a crowd there after X-mas.

(systems were behind the counter but had 10% off those which is pretty good)

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Well, I just got back from MediaPlay in Sterling Heights MI. The store was packed with people and the store was well stocked with banners and such. I hit the figures first 10% off. Blah..I then hit the used games 10% there if you want Copies of Project Eden for Ps2...Then The normal game Isle.

10% off all regular games and the area. No further promotions. that was all $8.99 1-2 weeks earlier is now back to $19.99-$29.99 with 10% :censored:smacked on it. I asked the girls when The final closing will be and they said mid to late January, They arent telling employees and the Prices will DROP big time (quoting her) after Christmas. SO your better off waiting. Im still gonna hit it every weekend. Its nice there is no refunds so Thats less of a crowd there after X-mas.

(systems were behind the counter but had 10% off those which is pretty good)[/QUOTE]

How much are the music books and instruments???

[quote name='TehTriggerman']The Instruments were also 10% off. A row of Guitars and a Medium sized black drum kit had a 10% off sign on it. Im 97% sure the Sheet music was as well.[/QUOTE]

Thx!!!.....um 2 Q's.....

1. when will the prices drop down lower and lower???

2. Did the store in sterlingheights have a lot of stuff in stock???

bread's done
Back