Mega Man 10 - Bass, Special Stage 1 on April 5th

[quote name='willardhaven']X4 is good too (it's the last game before the sharp decline), but there's just something about the originals.[/QUOTE]

X8 was pretty good.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Could be the first steps of that , but until Zero gets involved it won't be the real deal. But we know that Capcom is saving that for last since , well , they can't really do anything else with the original series after that (well they could but it would be kinda strange).[/QUOTE]

True, but Zero presumably would be a villain at first and perhaps retire MM.

[quote name='KingBroly']I put most Castlevania games' difficulty levels in the same category as Ghosts n' Goblins. Hard because of the horribly crippled controls.[/QUOTE]

The Belmonts are a bunch of stiff mofos aren't they? I agree wholeheartedly. I've only loved the GBA/DS ones, where the controls aren't crippled. I only feel safe saying this in the Mega Man thread.

[quote name='KingBroly']I put most Castlevania games' difficulty levels in the same category as Ghosts n' Goblins. Hard because of the horribly crippled controls.[/QUOTE]

I put this comment in the same category as "YOU WERE TALKING AND IT MESSED ME UP!"

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I hope the game isn't as difficult as 9 was.
That was just cheap difficult.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I would like you introduce you to 75% of the NES library.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I hope the game isn't as difficult as 9 was.
That was just cheap difficult.[/QUOTE]
My avatar and I say get the fuck out.

[quote name='The Crotch']My avatar and I say get the fuck out.[/QUOTE]
IWBTG! ... I never did get around to downloading that.

Megaman 9 made players think and adapt. it's a very smart kind of hard.

the older games can be conquered by brute force.

the design of MM9 is patterned in such a way that the player can play the whole game without ever getting hit.

the older games arent. there's so much cheap shots in that game, so it's more of an issue of survival which makes the game seem hard. As long as you can stay alive longer than your enemies then you're good.

[quote name='JEKKI']Megaman 9 made players think and adapt. it's a very smart kind of hard.

the older games can be conquered by brute force.

the design of MM9 is patterned in such a way that the player can play the whole game without ever getting hit.

the older games arent. there's so much cheap shots in that game, so it's more of an issue of survival which makes the game seem hard. As long as you can stay alive longer than your enemies then you're good.[/QUOTE]

So the kind of game you have to memorize to avoid cheap shots is the smart kind of hard, and the game with variable enemy patterns and actual challenge isn't?

I'll concede that some people prefer rote memorization, but to claim its superiority is just bonkers.

[quote name='willardhaven']So the kind of game you have to memorize to avoid cheap shots is the smart kind of hard[/quote]

Wtf. Isn't this why everyone is championing Demon's Souls? I hear nothing but praise for that game, primarily because it is "take one step too many = you dead" difficulty. Which apparently everyone deems as super peachy, and which further tells me that if a game with retro graphics does it, it's suddenly not ok.

and the game with variable enemy patterns and actual challenge isn't?

I think Jekki was more saying that older games had bizarre coding because it was more infantile an industry back then, and the solution to AI was either to go fuckin' bonkers OR go the memory-rote route. We have the option today much more so than 20 years ago, where you had truly monstrous AI in certain games meant primarily to frustrate gamers since fully fledged and fleshed out storied games weren't the norm, and instead relied more on arcade-like repetition.

I'll concede that some people prefer rote memorization, but to claim its superiority is just bonkers.

Again, I think Jekki was talking more toward broken code than anything. He can clarify this if he wants.

I haven't played Demon's Souls, I just don't think Mega Man 9 is anywhere near as good as 2 or 3. They have to be good for me to deal with the collection's crappy interface. I don't hate 9, it's better than a lot of the HD games I've played.

I tried the demo of MM9 on xbox live and now I know I won't be buying MM10. MM9 is too old school for me, and I like old school generally speaking, particularly 2D. Playing a level, getting near the end and dying and then having to go back to the start... that's not fun for me. I don't think it ever was, but especially now that I'm an old foggy. :)

Mega Man 9 was more difficult than 2 & 3. Maybe cause I played the originals so much. I can complete MM2 in an hour.

I wonder if they'll give back Mega Man's charge shot or slide? But honestly I didn't miss them in MM9.

[quote name='crunchewy']I tried the demo of MM9 on xbox live and now I know I won't be buying MM10. MM9 is too old school for me, and I like old school generally speaking, particularly 2D. Playing a level, getting near the end and dying and then having to go back to the start... that's not fun for me. I don't think it ever was, but especially now that I'm an old foggy. :)[/QUOTE]

Mega Man 10 has easy mode, so if you like Mega Man but think it's too hard for you now, you can still play it.

I'm going to say it again:

Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention

Mega Man 10 isn't hard, you just suck

I'd say in terms of difficulty (from hardest to easiest) for the original Mega Man series, it'd go like this:

Mega Man 7 (mainly because it's terrible)
Mega Man 1
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 8
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6

I'll put 2 ahead of 9 simply because that some bosses are only weak to 1 weapon which isn't the Metal Blade.

I generally agree with that list, give or take a couple positions. However I don't remember Mega Man 7 being that hard. I only beat it once several years ago. Was it really that much of a pain in the ass?

Well, the Wily stages are just mind-boggling, especially Wily. I think the difficulty is mainly due to the fact that it tries to put you to sleep 80% of the time while bosses are bullet sponges.

I really can't put the games into a list. I would put the original MM at the top just because of the first time I faced Yellow Devil. MM4 would get another top position because of facing Pharaoh Man without using his weapon weakness. Those two are the only memorable bosses to me from the original.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm going to say it again:

Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention

Mega Man 10 isn't hard, you just suck[/QUOTE]

Agreed. MM9 had it's challenges but it wasn't impossible. People just don't know how to play games that make you sweat anymore.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'd say in terms of difficulty (from hardest to easiest) for the original Mega Man series, it'd go like this:

Mega Man 1
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 8
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6

I'll put 2 ahead of 9 simply because that some bosses are only weak to 1 weapon which isn't the Metal Blade.[/QUOTE]

I agree, with the exception that I've never finished MM7 or MM8. #1 is hard mostly for flaws in the design and a lack of planning on some of the harder moments. When you have to fight all 8 bosses over again, the game is really unforgiving on giving you health between fights, and definitely feels hard in a cheap way.

Those extra stages past the 8 bosses but before Wiley's Castle in MM3 make me want to rip my hair out.

4-6 are kind of on par with their difficulty, but 6 is definitely the easiest. I remember the 1st time I played it (probably 10 years ago) I beat it in one sitting in about 2 hours and couldn't believe it!

9 is definitely harder than 2, only change I think I'd make.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, the Wily stages are just mind-boggling, especially Wily. I think the difficulty is mainly due to the fact that it tries to put you to sleep 80% of the time while bosses are bullet sponges.[/QUOTE]

I've heard terrible things about the Wily stages, but I manged to have a blast beating all 8 of MM7's boss back in the day. If you discount the Wily levels it's not that hard, is it?

The original only had 6 robot masters. Fighting 4 right before Wily is a real dick move, too. Fighting Cut Man and Elec Man on level 2 of the castle makes sense, and that's what X1 did (btw, I like the idea of spreading the bosses out over the course of the Fortress stages). 7's difficulty also comes from the fact that all the bosses are basically bullet sponges. Most Mega Man games takes you about 7-8 hits with their weakness to kill. In 7, it's about 12-15.

2 has some things that are pretty hard, like the platforming on Wily 1 before and including the boss (not hard, but tricky). Wily 3's boss is a complete BS because if you run out of Crash bombs you're screwed, same thing with the final boss, but with Bubble Lead. Also, let's not forget the lasers of death in Quick Man's stage.

I gotta go back and play MM7 and refresh myself with it. But I do recall MM7 being my least favorite in the orginal series. I didn't like Mega Man's sprite being so big, I would've liked a more scaled back veiwpoint so I could see more of the level.

Mega Man 8 is probably my second favorite is the series. I would've loved a Protoman mode.

Here's the best known secret about Mega Man games: If you beat one boss, you've basically beaten the first part of the game because it becomes really easy until then.

^ That's why X8 was so freakin' hard. Like all X games you start off with half a health bar, which makes it even more difficult.

[quote name='Rodimus']I gotta go back and play MM7 and refresh myself with it. But I do recall MM7 being my least favorite in the orginal series. I didn't like Mega Man's sprite being so big, I would've liked a more scaled back veiwpoint so I could see more of the level.

Mega Man 8 is probably my second favorite is the series. I would've loved a Protoman mode.[/QUOTE]

I know it's been posted before but your comment concerning MM7 makes it necessary, just in case someone hasn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkdvYThT_Y&feature=related

Makes me laugh everytime.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'd say in terms of difficulty (from hardest to easiest) for the original Mega Man series, it'd go like this:

Mega Man 1
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 8
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6

I'll put 2 ahead of 9 simply because that some bosses are only weak to 1 weapon which isn't the Metal Blade.[/QUOTE]

Meant to reply to this before , but based on what do you rank 8 as the 4th hardest game? Maybe my memory is foggy but I remember 8 being one of the easier (easiest?) classic game aside from the stupid snowboarding stages. Also I'd rank 5 higher since I remember Protoman's stages being really hard.

8 has some tricky platforming sections. Clown Man and Jump Jump Slide Slide come to mind. Wily 1 is probably the worst Mega Man level ever.

lol the intro says year 200X, so last year. I dont remember seeing any kill robots from last 10 years.
Dont know where i read it, probably from the manga, or X series; the correct year would be 20XX

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall, it was 200X for the original series, and 20XX for the X series.

So obviously, someone here was dressed up as a blue robot and ran around tearin' shit up last year.

My vote is Rodimus. Shifty motherfucker.

Just for the record: I do suck at MM9. :) The MM9 demo on the 360, anyway. Still, I've got 7500 points just sitting there on the Wii, and everybody seems to love these games, so I might finally toss some away on MM10 since it's going to have an easy mode and that's a plus for me.

[quote name='The Crotch']My vote is Rodimus. Shifty motherfucker.[/QUOTE]

megaman.jpg

Since we're still in the Mega sharing mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpP_BKPa5Oc

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back