Mega Millions: do you have your tickets???

jeffreyjrose

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Did a few searches for it, and didn't find anything.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/06/megamillions.ap/index.html

Lottery machines cranked out tickets at a dizzying rate Tuesday as the multistate Mega Millions game drew bettors with a jackpot estimated at a record $370 million.Because of the huge prize and publicity, the 12 participating states agreed to move Tuesday night's drawing from the game's usual home in Atlanta to New York's Times Square.
Two winners split a $363 million jackpot in 2000 when Mega Millions was known as the seven-state Big Game. (Travel, mansions, education -- how people would spend jackpot)
The competing Powerball game -- available in 29 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands -- has the record for the largest single winner with $314.9 million, on Christmas Day.
The odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot are about 1 in 176 million.
At the small Fountain News convenience store in downtown Cincinnati, manager Vinay Patel expected to sell 2,500 to 3,000 tickets by the end of the day.
"Some people have bought as many as 200 tickets at a time," Patel said Tuesday morning.
Ron Thomas, who owns a nearby restaurant, stopped in for two tickets, saying: "You can always hope."
"I've never won a big one, but there's always a chance," he said. "I'm like everybody else. I want a new house and a new car, but the first thing I would do if I won is take the day off."
Mega Millions tickets are sold in California, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, Virginia and Washington state.
http://www.megamillions.com/

I bought a few tickets. I never play the lottery, and even though my chances are even lower with such a big jackpot and so many people playing, I figured why not?

Didn't realize it was a record jackpot...

Only time I ever played was when I worked for 7-11 three years ago. Of course, me and whatever co worker would buy a ticket or two about 30 mins before the drawing...then after the drawing just scan them to see if they were worth anything.

Bought $5 worth. My rule is to only buy a lottery ticket when it's above $100 million.

As well, a fun fact for the day, if you were to take $370 million all in one lump sum, you would only actually recieve $100 million. First they would only give you half, and then tax it.

Yep, my household is definitely in. If any of you won, would you still check CAG to buy your games? I'd like to say yes, but 370 million dollars could definitely change spending habits.

[quote name='FFMooglestar']Yep, my household is definitely in. If any of you won, would you still check CAG to buy your games? I'd like to say yes, but 370 million dollars could definitely change spending habits.[/quote]

I would also, only because of the community aspect of CAG. Though if I did hit it, I wouldn't be posting from the US though lol. I keep debating with myself whether I'd buy property in either Ireland or Scotland. If its not too damn much, probably both lol

I was ask to run the office pool and my parents also ask me to buy them tix. So yeah, everyone seems to have caught lotto fever, thankfully there's a store that sells them right next door

It'd be tempting to get one ticket tonight, but me and my partner are literally broke. I only have 6 bucks on my credit card, but you can't use credit for lotto. Even if I did have the money, I'd get a 6pack of Steel...

Yep, bought $5 worth, which is $5 more than I usually buy!

[quote name='moiety']I bought a few tickets. I never play the lottery, and even though my chances are even lower with such a big jackpot and so many people playing, I figured why not?

[/QUOTE]
Huh? Your odds don't change depending on how many people are playing; the same numbers are picked. The only thing that changes is the possibility of having to split the winnings with someone.

[quote name='ryanbph']i wonder what the jackpot will go up to if no one wins tonight[/quote]

Current estimates are $470 million.

*Damn, 10 sets of numbers and only 3 matches in different sets... $10 down the drain.*

[quote name='keithp']Yep, bought $5 worth, which is $5 more than I usually buy!

Huh? Your odds don't change depending on how many people are playing; the same numbers are picked. The only thing that changes is the possibility of having to split the winnings with someone.[/quote]
Yeah that's what I meant. I never said my odds change. Guess I wasn't clear.

Across my 5 tickets, I got 1 number on each. Guess I have to work today. :lol:

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']Current estimates are $470 million.

*Damn, 10 sets of numbers and only 3 matches in different sets... $10 down the drain.*[/QUOTE]

wait so its def that someone didnt win?

i dont see why millionaires dont just go buy millions of tickets... i mean you spend a million dollars, u would have good chances of winning 300,000,000.

[quote name='dopa345']Historically, lottery winners go into bankruptcy within 5 years or something like that so by not winning the lottery you saved yourself from financial ruin :).[/quote]
There was just something on E! about this recently. "Curse of the Lottery". But if you look at the people who won these jackpots, they all had some issues to begin with, and just did some stupid things. One guy would carry around 25K-100K in a suitcase and leave it in his car. He got robbed several times.

People just can't adjust to such an enormous change in their life, understandably, and they end up squandering it away. I understand that people want to live better, we all do, but no one seems to thinks of their future. Maybe easier said than done, but I just could not see myself wasting it on ridiculously huge houses and 100 sports cars.

But chances are, I won't ever have to worry about that. :lol:

[quote name='Wombat']http://www.wnbc.com/money/11191479/detail.html?dl=mainclick

2 people won, I hate them :([/QUOTE]

Just because the sun refuses to shine down on YOU, just because you live in perpetual "darkness", that's no reason to be angry or upset.

Approx. every two months this lottery mania happens. Fear not, it will probably happen in May, one in July, probably a big one in early October.

Maybe the sun will shine down on you then, who knows.

But only a fool will rely on a lottery ticket to bring them happiness or "sunshine" in their lives.

[quote name='lockarm']
But only a fool will rely on a lottery ticket to bring them happiness or "sunshine" in their lives.[/quote]
Makes me remember my customer service days. I'd cash people's welfare checks, then watch them spend 2/3 of it (sometimes all, no joke) on lottery and scratch tickets, while their kids ran around their feet complaining that they were hungry. Those were definitely people "relying" on the lottery. Sad stuff.

[quote name='moiety']There was just something on E! about this recently. "Curse of the Lottery". But if you look at the people who won these jackpots, they all had some issues to begin with, and just did some stupid things. One guy would carry around 25K-100K in a suitcase and leave it in his car. He got robbed several times.

People just can't adjust to such an enormous change in their life, understandably, and they end up squandering it away. I understand that people want to live better, we all do, but no one seems to thinks of their future. Maybe easier said than done, but I just could not see myself wasting it on ridiculously huge houses and 100 sports cars.

But chances are, I won't ever have to worry about that. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Most people who buy lottery tickets are the type that squander money and aren't financially responsible to begin with. It's no surprise to me that they end up bankrupt after a few years. I've always thought of the lottery as a hidden tax on the stupid and the ignorent.

[quote name='Cracka']i dont see why millionaires dont just go buy millions of tickets... i mean you spend a million dollars, u would have good chances of winning 300,000,000.[/QUOTE]
And that's exactly why you'll never be a millionaire.

[quote name='dopa345']Historically, lottery winners go into bankruptcy within 5 years or something like that so by not winning the lottery you saved yourself from financial ruin :).[/QUOTE]

I think your missing one thing. The people who are going into financial ruin after winning were usually terrible with money anyway. So, having more money didn't fix their problems, they just had to spend more to get to financial ruin.

My guess is that cheapassgamer probably brings slightly more responsible people (with money), so they are more likely to invest and live a great life for the next 90+ years never worrying about money (though, probably still surfing the site for cheap vids).

bread's done
Back