Megaman Legends 3 Cancelled

What the fuck? They couldn't figure out how they were gonna keep rereleasing it or what? Super Mega Man Legends 3: 3rd Strike of coure

Well, at least they've saved me from having to buy a 3DS.

Since Mega Man Universe got cancelled, is there any Mega Man game Capcom's actually still making?

This sucks, I thought there was a lot of hype for this. My buddy is going to be even more upset since he submitted a couple things. Spent a good amount of time on them.

No Edgeworth 2, I'm guessing Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton is dead, and now this.

Outside of fighting games, Capcom is actively destroying their storied franchises. I think I'm going to call it a day on them.

[quote name='Strell']Outside of fighting games, Capcom is actively destroying their storied franchises.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with this statement. The only thing that comes from them that I care about anymore is fighters.

Kind of surprising considering how much hype and fan feedback they built up. Wonder what's going on? Too costly to make? Not enough interest to justify it's development?

It sucks, but I dunno if heckling Capcom is the right way to go. I can't imagine they keep letting the fans down for laughs... if these games made money I'm sure they would have no problem releasing them but with the hit the eastern gaming scene has taken I don't think they necessarily have the means to "be cool" and release games that lean on the niche/sales risk side.

Upon reading the news of Mega Man Legends 3 being cancelled (http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1182468p1.html) I can honestly say I am not disappointed. I am finding more and more publishers are churning out portable sequels to popular video game series. Valkyria Chronicles 2, Dragon Quest IX and up until recently Mega Man Legends 3. I feel this is not doing justice to series' that found success on home consoles.

Now for those of you who enjoy portable gaming that is fine. However, I cannot gain an immersive gaming experience from a 4" screen. I realize portable gaming is a profitable market and development costs are much less. However, a console series should stay on consoles. Having a game with up to date graphics, more controller options etc... only to make the sequel on a less powerful system seems like a demotion. Would you want the next Call of Duty to be exclusively on Wii?

I do hope Capcom revisists the development of Mega Man Legends 3 someday. However, I hope they place on consoles where the series deserves to be.

okay, but maybe this could've just stayed in the other thread?

I don't really know if I agree with you here, it sounds like your logic is "if I can't enjoy it than no one else should." I'm not very interested in portable gaming either, but I don't necessarily want everyone to miss out on something I choose to pass on.

[quote name='iamsmart']It sucks, but I dunno if heckling Capcom is the right way to go. I can't imagine they keep letting the fans down for laughs... if these games made money I'm sure they would have no problem releasing them but with the hit the eastern gaming scene has taken I don't think they necessarily have the means to "be cool" and release games that lean on the niche/sales risk side.[/QUOTE]

so Mega Man will be handed to a western developer and become a FPS?

[quote name='62t']so Mega Man will be handed to a western developer and become a FPS?[/QUOTE]

Worked pretty damn well for Metroid

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Third parties on Nintendo consoles are so hilarious in that pathetic "Wah! We can't compete so why bother" kind of way.[/QUOTE]
Huh? Capcom just did RE:Mercs and has another RE on the way. And wasn't SFIV the top-selling launch game?

[quote name='Rodimus']Worked pretty damn well for Metroid[/QUOTE]

Take this line of thought a step further:

Sell the Megaman license, Capcom. Let someone who wants it buy it. Like Nintendo. Nintendo, give it to Retro, and let the Blue Bomber drop some FPA glory.

While we're at it:

Konami, sell Castlevania.
Capcom, sell Breath of Fire and Ghosts and Goblins.
Namco, sell Katamari Damacy.

[quote name='Strell']Take this line of thought a step further:

Sell the Megaman license, Capcom. Let someone who wants it buy it. Like Nintendo. Nintendo, give it to Retro, and let the Blue Bomber drop some FPA glory.

While we're at it:

Konami, sell Castlevania.
Capcom, sell Breath of Fire and Ghosts and Goblins.
Namco, sell Katamari Damacy.[/QUOTE]

And have Nintendo give the rights to all of the games in the EarthBound series + future creations to someone that will release them here.

[quote name='pete5883']Huh? Capcom just did RE:Mercs and has another RE on the way. And wasn't SFIV the top-selling launch game?[/QUOTE]

One is a savelocked game that should be included with Revelations, and the other is a late port. Great effort by Capcom.

Between this and the apparent gaul Capcom has to charge $40 for what should be DLC for Marvel vs Capcom 3 and forcing you to buy it as a separate game, I'm done with them.

[quote name='themaster20000']And this is another reason why I don't even bother with Capcom anymore[/QUOTE]

This. Personally, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 sort of did it for me.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Kind of surprising considering how much hype and fan feedback they built up. Wonder what's going on? Too costly to make? Not enough interest to justify it's development?[/QUOTE]

As I understood it, the game's development has been rocky since its inception. The Prototype Version was supposed to be the thing to convince the Capcom higher-ups to finally greenlight the entire project. Given that the prototype version was supposed to be released with the launch of the 3DS e-shop and it has yet to materialize....says to me the delay generated a lack of faith from Capcom higher-ups

[quote name='Salamando3000']As I understood it, the game's development has been rocky since its inception. The Prototype Version was supposed to be the thing to convince the Capcom higher-ups to finally greenlight the entire project. Given that the prototype version was supposed to be released with the launch of the 3DS e-shop and it has yet to materialize....says to me the delay generated a lack of faith from Capcom higher-ups[/QUOTE]
infaune quit is what happened, universe scrapped and the rag team left behind tried its best to pump out legends but capcom didn't like what it saw apparently and would rather remake street fighter 15 times

[quote name='SuperPhillip']One is a savelocked game that should be included with Revelations, and the other is a late port. Great effort by Capcom.[/QUOTE]

Early port if you count the fact that Arcade Edition wasn't included.

But uh...yeah, Capcom hates their fans. The slide began earlier this generation and now it's finally complete.

[quote name='62t']so Mega Man will be handed to a western developer and become a FPS?[/QUOTE]

this was like my first thought when hearing about this.

i mean, they could do it.

[quote name='confoosious']Wait a sec.... no Phoenix vs Layton?![/QUOTE]

Search your heart, you know it to be trooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You say that now, but when we get "Feenicks Write" as a character with dredlocks, orange shorts, and a gigantic flashlight, you'll see. You'll all see.

On the plus side, this means I won't be wasting any money on a 3DS..

Oh who am I kidding, there is no plus side. I never thought I could be this pissed off about a game being cancelled.

Lets be honest, megaman is irrelevant in todays gaming world, and outside of a handful of hardcore megaman fans, this game was going to bomb spectacularly. Combine that with how putrid the 3DS is doing in sales worldwide in not only hardware, but software, then all the delays like assassins creed 3DS being canceled completely, saints row 3DS being canceled completely, mega man legends 3 being canceled completely and more to come im sure, should not be surprises. Smart companies are jumping ship before they lose millions.

Here's the problem with Mega Man: It never made a proper jump into 3D. Legends was cool, but it wasn't a proper Mega Man game.

This is disappointing. I really wanted Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and MegaMan Legends 3. Figured there would be a port of MML 1 and 2 at some point before the release of MML 3.

Portables in Japan are much more popular than consoles. Your opinion also sucks and yeah, no need for a separate thread. Especially in the sub-forum that is specifically for handheld gaming.
Legends 3 will never be made, portable or otherwise.

This might have gotten me to buy a 3DS. But, the announcement did drum up interest in finally playing MML 1-2, so at least that's good.

[quote name='Salamando3000']As I understood it, the game's development has been rocky since its inception. The Prototype Version was supposed to be the thing to convince the Capcom higher-ups to finally greenlight the entire project. Given that the prototype version was supposed to be released with the launch of the 3DS e-shop and it has yet to materialize....says to me the delay generated a lack of faith from Capcom higher-ups[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Capcom has a really strange project approval system. Basically there is a board of higher-ups who have been with the company for ages. Virtually none of them play games let alone have actually developed them. They're all suits.

Teams come up with concepts and submit them to the board and then, if they get approved, they go ahead and make the game. However, many teams are so passionate about their ideas that they will stay and work on prototypes on their own time. This is exactly what happened with both Dead Rising and Lost Planet.

[quote name='GUNNM']infaune quit is what happened, universe scrapped and the rag team left behind tried its best to pump out legends but capcom didn't like what it saw apparently and would rather remake street fighter 15 times[/QUOTE]

Inafune's departure was only part of the problem. Remember, he didn't create Megaman his mentor did. After Mikami left the Resident Evil series went on. After Kamiya left Devil May Cry went on. Capcom brass is happy enough to see their former designers shit up their own futures. They have no interest in letting their own IP sit idle and losing money.

This project never had a chance from it's inception.

I personally prefer gaming on a handheld much more than I do consoles now, and I grew up playing on consoles. Considering MML3 was one of the main reasons I purchased a 3DS, it looks like I may be trading my system in...

bread's done
Back