Megaman X Collection - Extras Removed for PSP Versions

62t

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
So recently, the Mega Man X Collection was unleashed upon the unsuspecting public, or so we might like to pretend. And going to the EBGames where I was to surrender $34.07 in exchange for the game, I knew that the title wouldn't have the extras and unlockables we were promised when this website got to take suggestions for what we wanted to see in the compilation. I didn't have it, but reading all the reviews, keeping up with news, etc, I knew it wouldn't have the extra stuff.

But I bought it anyway. You see, I bought it because I knew that all six games were on one DVD, plus a game that - though I had played it before - hadn't ever been released in the US. I bought it because at the heart of the matter is the fact that it's still a compilation of games from my favorite Mega Man series, and that's enough for me. Besides, it adds that nostalgia factor, getting to play the games in (mostly) their original form. I also admit that the inclusion of the PlayStation X3 was a factor in my purchase. Now, many have chided Capcom, myself included a little bit, for promising these extras and not delivering. Some suggested showing our disappointment by not buying it - though this was unrealistic at best. But now at least we have some answers from Capcom on why the Collection is, as one reviewer put, "bare bones".

It's not that Capcom didn't put any effort into it - far from it. In fact, the information we've been given shows just the opposite of that assumption. We've been told that all the extras promised were, in fact, completed. X1 and X2's music was remixed. X4 had the voices redubbed, and X6 had the script revised, retranslated, and was dubbed in English. So why, then, if this stuff was done, did it not make it into the Collection?

The answer is pretty simple. Keiji Inafune and Irregular Hunter X.

But how could one man and one game affect the outcome of an entire Collection? It's rather easy, especially if said man is the mastermind behind the entire X series, and in a high-up position at Capcom. Back in early November, we heard that there were problems with the MMXC - Inafune was "concerned" that the Collection's extra content for X1 would interfere with what he wanted for Irregular (Maverick) Hunter X (it was inferred that the XC would use the same remixed music that appears in IHX). When we spoke with representatives from the X Collection production team, they were able to shed a lot more light on things, and after hearing it all, I have to say I'm a little less disappointed with the MMXC than I was, and a bit excited for what might come as well.

What we've been told is that Inafune wants to retool the X series up to Mega Man X6. Irregular Hunter X2 is already on the books, we're told, and Rockman Rockman 2 is in the pre-planning stages (incidentally, we were told that if the Powered Up ports are successful, they might be remade all the way up to Mega Man 8). As for the work we did for the X Collection, the suggestions we took were examined and reviewed by the CoJ staffers, and they have been set aside to be used in consideration as each X series remake is done. The extra features that were done - remixes, dubs and script revisions - will be used for the North American versions, provided circumstances don't force revisions of the revisions already done (such is the case for X4, which, if IHX1 is any indication, will probably get a new script). CPS1 was pretty much told to keep the X Collection as close to the originals as possible, and that's why we received what we did.

But that's not all of the grubby information we got. We got a few explanations on why certain elements of the X Collection remained as they were, or got changed, what-have-you. Below we've compiled the list of applicable changes we asked about.

Mega Man X:
- Script revised to include "Damn!" in the intro stage. This was done while X1 was being retrofitted, and left in there after the remixes were pulled.

Mega Man X2:
- Music was remixed, but then pulled for use in IHX2.

Mega Man X4:
- Original voices were reinserted after the redubs were removed (this lends to the slightly different sound quality of the in-game voices).

Mega Man X5:
- We got no word on whether the names of the Mavericks were at any point actually changed, but our Capcom representative expressed disappointment at the fact that they remained the Guns'n'Roses names. When the time rolls around for IHX, we're told, they will be changed.

Mega Man X6:
- Oh, the horror of the Sentsuizan. There's actually an interesting story behind this one. The move, originally mapped to Up+Attack while in the air, HAD been fixed, as evidenced by the "Got weapon" screen telling you to press Down+Attack in the air. This was changed for an unknown reason in post-production when one of the programmers mistakenly remapped it to the original button combo. *sigh*
- We're told that pulling the voices from X6 was an executive decision made by Robert Johnson. He reasoned that if the voices were left in, people would complain. If he took them out, people would complain, so he went with the choice to minimize the Japanese and removed them.

So there you have it. information straight from Capcom on what went wrong with the Mega Man X Collection, and why it came packaged without all the cool stuff we anticipated. To be honest, my personal feelings are mixed on the matter. I've said that I can live without the special features that were promised by Capcom USA (and nixed by Capcom of Japan). The fact that these features will be used in remakes of the X series is heartening, but it would've been nice if CoJ had been able to overlook the fact that they wanted the remakes as spiffy as possible. Mega Man fans are a loyal bunch, and in my opinion, putting all one's stock in remakes for an expensive handheld when more people own PlayStation 2s, GameCubes, and XBoxes is a bit unwise in terms of marketing. But it's Capcom's decision, and there's nothing we can do. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's best to be happy that Capcom even did the X Collection, and be thankful for what we got.

http://megaman.retrofaction.com/index.php?main=articles/editorials/editorial019

the worst effect of double dipping.

The fact that anyone would willingly purchase 6 remakes for the extra content that was supposed to be given for MMX Collection is extremely stupid.

However, Capcom of America actually listened to its fans and did the content. The one to blame is Keiji Inafune, for pulling the content.

shieet....Capcom's been double dipping right into gamers wallets through their ass for over a decade. Why would you expect less?

Is anyone really that upset that you don't get these extras? You still get 7 games on one disc for $20.

It's Capcom people. What do you expect? We had to have Super Duper Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Mega Digitized ChopSocky Anime Van Damme Edition (that included only one three frame animation different from the previous title, Super Kapooper Street Fighter 2 Championship Ninja Extended Special Limited Edition Turbo). These guys Double Dip like a redneck with a three can a day chewing habit.

I'm curious what "double dipping" is supposed to mean. THe only thing I know of is dipping food into a sauce twice. THere were a bunch of sexual terms on Urban Dictionary, but I'm assuming you're not refering to capcom eating you out.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']I'm curious what "double dipping" is supposed to mean.[/QUOTE]

It's not too terribly hard to figure out. It refers to a company releasing a game, then releasing an updated "Special Edition" later on down the line, forcing early adopters to pay twice for content that could've been just as easily included in the original version. And no companies are more guilty of this practice than Capcom and Nintendo.

[quote name='Ledhed']It's not too terribly hard to figure out. It refers to a company releasing a game, then releasing an updated "Special Edition" later on down the line, forcing early adopters to pay twice for content that could've been just as easily included in the original version. And no companies are more guilty of this practice than Capcom and Nintendo.[/QUOTE]
Sounds more like Milking a franchise than double dipping.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Sounds more like Milking a franchise than double dipping.[/QUOTE]

Why argue the semantics of it? They're one in the same.

[quote name='Ledhed']Why argue the semantics of it? They're one in the same.[/QUOTE]
Because, they're aren't the same.

capitalist_mao,

Though you may be somewhat correct in your assessment, double dipping is a term used for this on gaming websites. To be honest, they are very close. Milking the franchise is closer to what Eidos did with Tomb Raider. The material was different in each game, but it always felt like the same game. Also, lots of Madden's feel that way. I think these are closer to milking the franchise.

But, releasing a game, then releasing special edition 6 mionths later with some extra content that should have been included immediatiely, this is double-dipping. I also think Konami does this with the Metal Gear series. MGS2 Substance really should have been the original game. That made me mad enough to swear off paying more than $20 for a Konami game

[quote name='lordxixor101']capitalist_mao,

Though you may be somewhat correct in your assessment, double dipping is a term used for this on gaming websites. To be honest, they are very close. Milking the franchise is closer to what Eidos did with Tomb Raider. The material was different in each game, but it always felt like the same game. Also, lots of Madden's feel that way. I think these are closer to milking the franchise.

But, releasing a game, then releasing special edition 6 mionths later with some extra content that should have been included immediatiely, this is double-dipping. I also think Konami does this with the Metal Gear series. MGS2 Substance really should have been the original game. That made me mad enough to swear off paying more than $20 for a Konami game[/QUOTE]

I think double-dipping is allowed for a small price and cool stuff.

Case: Devil May Cry 3... the new one has tons of new features and its only $20 bucks.

Double-dipping for a game thats over 10 years old and lacking features on a console that can easily emulate almost all of them and the price is average game price?

[quote name='Mookyjooky'] Double-dipping for a game thats over 10 years old and lacking features on a console that can easily emulate almost all of them and the price is average game price?[/QUOTE]

There are 7 games on the disc. Not all of them are over 10 years old. All of those games for $30 isn't too bad.

Not to mention X1-X3 go (went) for a pretty penny on Ebay.

[quote name='Trakan']There are 7 games on the disc. Not all of them are over 10 years old. All of those games for $30 isn't too bad.

Not to mention X1-X3 go (went) for a pretty penny on Ebay.[/QUOTE]
Thats true, if they would have just been lazy and not added anything new, you really couldn't complain.

But the fact that they made all these cool changes, but then took them out in favor of releasing a new "special edition" later down the road, is the shitty part.

that's why i'm staying away from this collection for now, even thought it can be had for $20... besides, i mainly just want the SNES games and not the PSOne X games.

i wish they would have at least included the SNES version of mega man x3 and not the bastardsized PSOne version... or at least give the option of which one you want.

At least Capcom fixed the whole fiasco from MM Anniversary Collection with the reversed buttons!

Nintendo? Capcom likes to do it ON Nintendo consoles, but aside from the GBA Classic series, I dont think they've done ALL THAT MUCH themselves.

They like to re-use characters in different circumstances, but Mario Baseball and Mario Strikers is NOT double dipping.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Nintendo? Capcom likes to do it ON Nintendo consoles, but aside from the GBA Classic series, I dont think they've done ALL THAT MUCH themselves.

They like to re-use characters in different circumstances, but Mario Baseball and Mario Strikers is NOT double dipping.[/QUOTE]

Then what do you call this?

Super Mario Bros - NES
Super Mario Bros - Gameboy Color
Super Mario Bros - Gameboy Advance Classic Series
Super Mario Bros - Revolution Download

Donkey Kong - NES game
Donkey Kong - NES classics 3 in 1 cart
Donkey Kong - Gameboy
Donkey Kong - E- reader card
Donkey Kong - Gameboy Advance Classic Series
Donkey Kong - Revolution Download

These are just a couple of examples. Need I go on? Nintendo is a double dipper in every sense of the word.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Then what do you call this?

Super Mario Bros - NES
Super Mario Bros - Gameboy Color
Super Mario Bros - Gameboy Advance Classic Series
Super Mario Bros - Revolution Download

Donkey Kong - NES game
Donkey Kong - NES classics 3 in 1 cart
Donkey Kong - Gameboy
Donkey Kong - E- reader card
Donkey Kong - Gameboy Advance Classic Series
Donkey Kong - Revolution Download

These are just a couple of examples. Need I go on? Nintendo is a double dipper in every sense of the word.[/QUOTE]

Super Mario Bros. for the NES, GBA and upcoming Rev are all the same game. That's not double dipping. Super Mario Bros. GBC had some extra stuff added but if followed the original by MANY years. I'm not to familiar with the DK example you've given but if they are anything like the Mario example you've given then they aren't double dipping. I'll agree Nintendo tends to double dip on hardware. But on software? Aside from Mario Party and Pokemon (which is more milking than double dipping though that could be semantics) I'm really having a hard time coming up with examples of Nintendo double dipping. They do it but I don't think you can say they are notorious for it. Rememebr it takes more that two examples to accuse a particular company of habitual double dipping. Provide more examples. You may be right but the examples you've given don't make your case.

[quote name='Ledhed']It's not too terribly hard to figure out. It refers to a company releasing a game, then releasing an updated "Special Edition" later on down the line, forcing early adopters to pay twice for content that could've been just as easily included in the original version. And no companies are more guilty of this practice than Capcom and Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything except the force part.

I can understand why some people would feel upset, but there are examples of this in which there has been little anger because the changes were for the better (SF2: Turbo, VF4 Evolution and Ninja Gaiden Black come to mind).

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I agree with everything except the force part.

I can understand why some people would feel upset, but there are examples of this in which there has been little anger because the changes were for the better (SF2: Turbo, VF4 Evolution and Ninja Gaiden Black come to mind).[/QUOTE]

If the changes are for the better than there is no reason to complain, you get a better product later. If the changes are not for the better than there is also no reason to complain, don't buy the new product.

[quote name='Crocodile']Super Mario Bros. for the NES, GBA and upcoming Rev are all the same game. That's not double dipping. Super Mario Bros. GBC had some extra stuff added but if followed the original by MANY years. I'm not to familiar with the DK example you've given but if they are anything like the Mario example you've given then they aren't double dipping. I'll agree Nintendo tends to double dip on hardware. But on software? Aside from Mario Party and Pokemon (which is more milking than double dipping though that could be semantics) I'm really having a hard time coming up with examples of Nintendo double dipping. They do it but I don't think you can say they are notorious for it. Rememebr it takes more that two examples to accuse a particular company of habitual double dipping. Provide more examples. You may be right but the examples you've given don't make your case.[/QUOTE]

Basically the entire E-reader set, then the NES classic series, the Mario Advance series, and the upcoming Revolution downloads are all the same games over and over again that they expect us to buy again. What do you think double dipping is? I call it selling the same game again later at full price and not part of a collection.

Wow, I am getting screwed as a fan of Megaman X.

I purchased every title except X3 for SNES and 7 and 8 because they suck.

The collection just has the same games I already own and one that I don't for 30 dollars?

I can't believe they are remaking the whole series for the PSP.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Basically the entire E-reader set, then the NES classic series, the Mario Advance series, and the upcoming Revolution downloads are all the same games over and over again that they expect us to buy again. What do you think double dipping is? I call it selling the same game again later at full price and not part of a collection.[/QUOTE]
But you do realize that a large percentage of the GBA-carrying population has never played an NES, right? The system has been dead for over ten years.

[quote name='botticus']But you do realize that a large percentage of the GBA-carrying population has never played an NES, right? The system has been dead for over ten years.[/QUOTE]

True. It's not really double dipping unless the same game is being released for the same system IMO.

I forgot to mention Super Mario Al-Stars as a GREAT example of who to re-release old games again with great improvements.

Yes but then instead of bringing Mario Allstars to GBA they brought each game from that series seperately. Instead of spending $30 to play those games you have to spend $90. Total ripoff. And charging $20 for some Gameboy Advance remakes? Total ripoff. Would you pay $30 to buy Pong? But it hasn't been released this generation. See the logic?

[quote name='Purkeynator']Yes but then instead of bringing Mario Allstars to GBA they brought each game from that series seperately. Instead of spending $30 to play those games you have to spend $90. Total ripoff. And charging $20 for some Gameboy Advance remakes? Total ripoff. Would you pay $30 to buy Pong? But it hasn't been released this generation. See the logic?[/QUOTE]
I didn't buy them. Well, I did get the Advance series, not the NES Classics. Those I wouldn't pay for. And no, I wouldn't pay $30 for Pong, I can play it on my 10-year old graphic calculator. But I would pay $15-$20 for Mario remakes since the only other place I can play them is on my 20-year old NES.

There's no ripoff involved unless you pay for something you don't think is worth it.

Anyway, I hadn't even read the rest of this topic, I just had to respond to the last few posts. Maybe I should scroll back.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Basically the entire E-reader set, then the NES classic series, the Mario Advance series, and the upcoming Revolution downloads are all the same games over and over again that they expect us to buy again. What do you think double dipping is? I call it selling the same game again later at full price and not part of a collection.[/QUOTE]

You're not supposed to buy them again and again. They are released multiple times but you only buy stuff once. Double Dipping would be like the DMC3: SE or MGS3:S or Ninja Gaiden Black. You buy a game only to find out 9-15 months later, a superior version of the same game is avaliable. None of the things you've described at double dips because:

A) The amount of time between the first version of the game and this one are 1 to 2 videogame generations or even more.

B) Most of the examples you've given have seen little to no upgrades. If you have the original versions of the games, there is little reason for you to pick these up. Hence little reason to "double dip".

I mean I agree that Super Mario All-Stars should have been released as a whole rather than spilt up. (Could early GBA carts even fit everything in Mario All-Stars collection?) Would have made for an awesome GCN collection. Though if you already have the original Mario All-Stars game, there isn't that much reason to gets the Advance series and MANY years seprated the versions. You would have more than gotten your money's worth in gametime on the original game by then. Hence it's not a double dip. Just a rerelease.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Nintendo? Capcom likes to do it ON Nintendo consoles, but aside from the GBA Classic series, I dont think they've done ALL THAT MUCH themselves.

They like to re-use characters in different circumstances, but Mario Baseball and Mario Strikers is NOT double dipping.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, cause all this time I thought I was playing the same old Zelda game with better graphics.

Princess kidnapped, must retrieve her, but you must frequent dungeon to dungeon as well as some rainy forest parts to find the master sword and freeze ganon with silver arrows to defeat him with the master sword.

Yeah, I havent done that more than once.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Wow, I am getting screwed as a fan of Megaman X.

I purchased every title except X3 for SNES and 7 and 8 because they suck.

The collection just has the same games I already own and one that I don't for 30 dollars?

I can't believe they are remaking the whole series for the PSP.[/QUOTE]

owned.png

[quote name='Crocodile']

I mean I agree that Super Mario All-Stars should have been released as a whole rather than spilt up. (Could early GBA carts even fit everything in Mario All-Stars collection?) [/QUOTE]

From what I remember IGN stated that a GBA cart could hold almost the same amount as a N64 cart. I'll try to find a link to Verify. But some good evidence is how Mario Cart Advanced has every track from the SNES version included plus the new tracks.

Also remember that the SNES had the pack in single cart that not only had Super mario all stars but also included Super mario world. If nintendo could pull that off on a SNES cart there is no doubt they could pull off something similar on a GBA cart.

I have hopes that they will release a xbox version that has more extras so I'm holding off on X collection.

Ok picture this: A plumber and his brother have their girl friend captured by a large reptile and must save her by climbing up pipes and jumping across platforms.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Ok picture this: A plumber and his brother have their girl friend captured by a large reptile and must save her by climbing up pipes and jumping across platforms.[/QUOTE]

I'll do you one better!

Ok, there's this space bounty hunter, and this person in a mechinized suit answers a distress signal... only, when the armored person gets there, they end up losing all their powers! And the have to scavage the underground catacombs looking for their powers back. And here's the kicker... SPOILER! The Armored person is a she!!! Whoa!!!

:drool:

Formulaic rehashing and double dipping are not the same.

Rereleasing the same game on the same console with added features at full price is double dipping. I.E. MGS Substance, FF X International (Japan).

At least, that's what I thought, could someone give me some better examples?

I'm not sure about cross-platform business. I would prefer having a choice of systems. I guess Genma Onimusha was double dipping.

Well, I'm a purist. I pretty much hate remakes unless it's something completely new like the Shaft movie with Samuel Jackson. I could not care less about the "changes" they were going to do. The only meaningful one would be fixing Zero's move in X6. Though quite frankly, it would take a lot more than that to make X6 more than the crap that it was. My REAL complaint about MMX Collection is the horrible new soundtrack. I wish they had included the S-NES version. I don't care about the stupid new cutscenes. The music actually affects the gameplay experience. It's more important than the stupid new cutscenes.

I think re-making the MMX games on the PSP is idiotic. Critics have criticized the Megaman games for having too many rehashed sequels and now Capcom is going back and re-doing them all. Yeah, brilliant Capcom. Sigh. This is typical. Every now and then Capcom gives us brilliance(Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 3), then they go back to being lame(putting out this crappy collection, pissing off Gamecube fans with the PS 2 version of RE 4, etc.)

About the soundtrack, I was referring to MMX 3, which was the only reason I had any interest in this collection since the S-NES game is impossible to find.

bread's done
Back