Memorial Day Sale Buy 5 HD-DVDs get 5 HD-DVDs free, Amazon (Traderbora) $0.99 ea & up

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmysegadc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(All thanks to espionagelfe on FW)

ATTENTION MODS: Feel free to merge this with any other thread if necessary.

UPDATE #1: I sent an email to Traderbora inquiring on the lack of FSSS now. IF/When I get an answer, I will post it.
UPDATE #2, 5/21/09: Reply from Traderbora:
"The reason that they are not eligible for amazon prime is that we are not
using their warehouse to ship the items and instead we must use our own,
therefore we have to cover the shipping costs on our own as well. We
apologize for the inconvenience. Best regards".

UPDATE #3, 5/22/09: Sale maybe over already. Almost all titles are back to about $4 ea and up, but with FSSS! Since this was suppose to be a Memorial Day weekend sale, maybe things will change once more. I'll keep you posted.
UPDATE #4, 5/27/09: Holiday weekend has long since ended. But plenty of titles are now back with FSSS.

Traderbora over at Amazon is having a Memorial Day Week sale. Buy 5 HD-DVDs and get 5 HD-DVDs free. Some start as low as $0.99. Unless it says it's eligible for FSSS, shipping is $2.98. Although shipping kind of kills the deal, on a per title basis, each disk could be under $4.00 (Thanks for the reminder, 62t). For example, if you get 10 $1.99 HD-DVDs, total cost is $39.75, making each disk about $3.98.

Link to Traderbora

Please visit von551's original thread here
: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212214

I pretty much have everything I want that was released in the U.S. (outside of Royal Space Force:cry:) and may still go for some of the European releases later, but you can't beat this for high def on the cheap!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='luvmysegadc']I pretty much have everything I want that was released in the U.S. (outside of Royal Space Force:cry:) and may still go for some of the European releases later, but you can't beat this for high def on the cheap![/QUOTE]

How would you like a copy of Royal Space Force? I've got an extra copy from the Border's sale, still sealed, and I would be happy to let you have it for Cost + Shipping. Just PM me.

Hmm...they pretty much inflated the prices making them almost the same as before the buy 5 get 5 promotion...
They are making a fortune off shipping.

I ended up ordering Heroes season 1 and army of darkness. There were some more that I wanted, but I couldn't justify it with that shipping cost.

Even with the shipping, this is still a good deal. Unfortunately, there really aren't that many movies I'd want. For a buck or two, yeah, I'd just go for it, but at $4 or $5 a piece, I think I'll pass.

I just filled my cart with 10 titles, got all the way to the end and then saw this line:
Promotion Applied: -$7.95

It doesn't seem worth it to spend $40 to only save $8. Shipping is $30 (on only $10 worth of movies), and you know the seller is going to ship them all in a small box that will cost him at most $10 in REAL shipping costs. He's going to make a fortune on this sale.
And all so we can save $8. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I know that when FSSS is an option, it's Amazon who's doing the shipment fulfillment. If traderbora isn't offering FSSS/Prime-capable shipping, then they may no longer have Amazon do the shipment and they're doing it on their own.

That's my guess at least from past history with Amazon and shipping.

While shipping doesn't exactly kill the deal, it's hard to justify an order when you see the items cost $4.95 and the shipping cost $30.

[quote name='manthing']While shipping doesn't exactly kill the deal, it's hard to justify an order when you see the items cost $4.95 and the shipping cost $30.[/QUOTE]

exactly. Free shipping offers from inetvideo makes dropping tons of bread on shipping costs with traderbora feel awkward. I think I spent $51 with inet, and scored 13 HD-DVDs. Thats $3.92 ea, and it included some pricey titles like V for Vendetta, a couple Harry Potter movies and a couple of mildly hard to find movies. Strangely, $3.92 for the selection I got from inet seems waaay better than $4/move with traderbora because of the perception of insane shipping prices and how it makes me value the whole order.

Dunno..consumer behavior I guess. I never really thought about how much "free shipping" deals reel me in.

I never let high shipping costs bother me. I look at the total price. $4 or $5 a title is quite good, but like I said, I only want a couple of movies. I'm more than willing to spend $10 or $20 for 10 titles, even if I only want three or four of them. But I'm less inclined to spend $40 for the same package.

[quote name='berzirk']exactly. Free shipping offers from inetvideo makes dropping tons of bread on shipping costs with traderbora feel awkward. I think I spent $51 with inet, and scored 13 HD-DVDs. Thats $3.92 ea, and it included some pricey titles like V for Vendetta, a couple Harry Potter movies and a couple of mildly hard to find movies. Strangely, $3.92 for the selection I got from inet seems waaay better than $4/move with traderbora because of the perception of insane shipping prices and how it makes me value the whole order.

Dunno..consumer behavior I guess. I never really thought about how much "free shipping" deals reel me in.[/QUOTE]

That is odd logic. ;) The bottom line for me is how much per-title you pay for total.

This is an OK deal but it's really no different than what traderbora's been charging usually ($4/$5 per-title, with FREE shipping), so it's not quite as outstanding as it sounds.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I never let high shipping costs bother me. I look at the total price. $4 or $5 a title is quite good, but like I said, I only want a couple of movies. I'm more than willing to spend $10 or $20 for 10 titles, even if I only want three or four of them. But I'm less inclined to spend $40 for the same package.[/QUOTE]

Same here for me. The bottom line for me is always total price per movie. I purchased 8 titles from traderbora this weekend for $31.xx. I put the same titles in my cart yesterday & it came out to around the same price.

Seems like the seller is trying to get pppl to buy more per order rather than those with prime buying a cpl at a time. For the most part, it works out to be the same as the previous prices. It just doesn't allow ppl to use amazon prime.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']That is odd logic. ;) The bottom line for me is how much per-title you pay for total.

This is an OK deal but it's really no different than what traderbora's been charging usually ($4/$5 per-title, with FREE shipping), so it's not quite as outstanding as it sounds.[/QUOTE]

Guess we think alike. I was typing up what I put in the post above but had to walk away from my labtop for a few minutes.

[quote name='techstar25']]you know the seller is going to ship them all in a small box that will cost him at most $10 in REAL shipping costs. He's going to make a fortune on this sale.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, he dropped all the prices BECAUSE he's charging shipping. Ordinarily these titles are $4/$5 each and have free shipping. This really isn't anything different than what he's usually doing -- it just "sounds better" and might get more traffic because of it.

I spent the last hour getting together a list of things I might want, and yes, after shipping it was about $4 a title. A great price, but a lot of the titles I don't really want, they're just filler to get the 5/5 promo. I'll have to wait and just pick up a few titles with f/s sometime. Although I suppose my total is just $15 more than the $25 I'd have to spend anyway... will have to think about this some more.

[quote name='darkdaze73']Guess we think alike. I was typing up what I put in the post above but had to walk away from my labtop for a few minutes.[/QUOTE]

OK...I think I finally figured out the part that rubs me the wrong way. I buy 5 movies, get 5 free, cool. Shipping is $2.99/disc, but in my mind I hear 5 free movies, and I'm not thinking about the shipping on free movies, I'm thinking it's free as in no cost associated. Dropping $15 shipping on 10 movies seems palatable. But it's actually $30 shipping that you'd be charged, and that makes my anus wince.

I posted this on another board regarding this sale....

Good deal, although some of these titles can still be found for cheaper, for around $3.50 each at Movietronix as an Amazon fullfillment.

For some reason most of Traderbora's movies went from fulfillment to marketplace, maybe they sold out of their fullfillment stock. I actually ordered a bunch of these movies from Traderbora a few days ago as a fulfillment order for $3.49 each.

I'd compare prices at both sites before making a purchase.

[quote name='fronk777']I posted this on another board regarding this sale....

Good deal, although some of these titles can still be found for cheaper, for around $3.50 each at Movietronix as an Amazon fullfillment.

For some reason most of Traderbora's movies went from fulfillment to marketplace, maybe they sold out of their fullfillment stock. I actually ordered a bunch of these movies from Traderbora a few days ago as a fulfillment order for $3.49 each.

I'd compare prices at both sites before making a purchase.[/QUOTE]
Movietronix doesn't seem to be doing fulfillment through amazon; at least none of the movies I looked at qualified. I see closeoutmovies fulfills through amazon right now, but each movie is $4.17. Probably better to use traderbora.

...and I'm a hypocritical asshole.

Subtotal of Items: $16.72
Shipping & Handling: $29.80
Promotion Applied: -$6.34
------ Total for this Order: $40.18

This made me go back and look at the 46 (yes, 46) HD-DVDs that I've purchased over the last 2 months and realize that I've spent $228.93 on HD-DVDs, shipped, or $4.98 per disc (includes things like bundles, a few higher priced ones like V for Vendetta and The Departed). Since you can rent a movie for about $3 these days, I figured owning them now, before they do become completely unavailable, isn't a bad idea...just a really bad habit ;)

Still have 22 more I'd like to find for really cheap, so I guess the quest (addiction) continues.

This promo really isn't much of a promo since the whatever savings you get on the movies goes to the shipping. With that being said if you can get titles you are wanting this isn't too bad. Its just not really any different than buying from Traderbora prior to this week in the grand scheme of things.

Is this sale over? Free shipping is back on most items, but I couldn't seem to get any discount to register. Not much of a Memorial Day sale if it ends on Friday before. Hah.

[quote name='Mjolnir']Is this sale over? Free shipping is back on most items, but I couldn't seem to get any discount to register. Not much of a Memorial Day sale if it ends on Friday before. Hah.[/QUOTE]

yeah looks like the sale is over already, i was gonna place my order today too i had 31 dvds in my cart which came out to about $120 which is like $4 each. now it said everything is out of stock then when i checked the site its back for free shipping but no more deal. missed it by a day : /

Am I the only one seeing movies that are 15-75 bucks from them? BSG season one they want 75 bucks for. Things we lost in the fire 24 bucks. Unless I'm looking at the wrong things most of this stuff you can get cheaper or could get cheaper at some other time. I saw some for less then 2 bucks but don't really think it is worth it. I'm glad because I need to get the credit card paid off.

[quote name='sendme']Am I the only one seeing movies that are 15-75 bucks from them? BSG season one they want 75 bucks for. Things we lost in the fire 24 bucks. Unless I'm looking at the wrong things most of this stuff you can get cheaper or could get cheaper at some other time. I saw some for less then 2 bucks but don't really think it is worth it. I'm glad because I need to get the credit card paid off.[/QUOTE]

if you go to the links for tradebora it should only be $8.49, and other movies around $4 most of the other sellers are around the same price. you might be looking at the ones sold by amazon.

Did this sale end already or am I missing something?

I have 10 movies in my cart from Traderbora and the total is 48.xx, all of them qualify for free shipping and most of them are $3.49-4.14

Check this out. I just put the same movies back in my cart. All 10 movies, but this time of course they are eligible for SSS. Look what I found:

The 10 movies before:
5 movies at $1.99.
5 movies Free.
Total for movies: $9.95.
10 shipped at $2.98 each: $29.80
--------------------------------------
Grand total during buy 5 get 5 special: $39.75

The same 10 movies today:
8 at $3.49
1 at $4.24
1 at $4.14
Shipping: Free
-------------------------
Grand total today: $36.75

That's what I was about to post... I ended up getting my movies for less than I would with the sale... Since they now have the SSS on them

Dude was just trying to find a way around paying sellers fees. If you are gonna sell a movie for 4 with free ship, or $1 with $3 shipping, guess which one costs you less in fees?

Dave

just placed an order for 32 hd dvds for $133 came out to about $4.15 each not bad. i just started buying hd dvd and only have about 30 so this is a nice jump.

considering i bought like 4 blu rays for about $80 in the past 2 weeks.

Yeah too bad most of these I can definitely live without, I might order like 4-6 movies from them real soon, I really just want Hustle & Flow lol.

I priced out the difference too with free ship as opposed to the buy 5, get 5. Doing the "special memorial day sale" cost me $.30 more, but the crappy part is that now I'm at traderbora's mercy for shipping. Since it could be as late as June 15th before they arrive. I might still have free prime, so I could've gotten these Tuesday.

I bad mouth the deal, then cave in and buy the movies, then get mildly screwed. Shoulda gone with my gut. Would've gotten them quicker, and saved $.30. Oh well. I think I've purchased all I want from traderbora. inetvideo still has about 10 I want. Next free shipping promo, I'll have to score those...then once again tell myself I'm done buying HD-DVDs!

[quote name='berzirk']I priced out the difference too with free ship as opposed to the buy 5, get 5. Doing the "special memorial day sale" cost me $.30 more, but the crappy part is that now I'm at traderbora's mercy for shipping. Since it could be as late as June 15th before they arrive. I might still have free prime, so I could've gotten these Tuesday.

I bad mouth the deal, then cave in and buy the movies, then get mildly screwed. Shoulda gone with my gut. Would've gotten them quicker, and saved $.30. Oh well. I think I've purchased all I want from traderbora. inetvideo still has about 10 I want. Next free shipping promo, I'll have to score those...then once again tell myself I'm done buying HD-DVDs![/QUOTE]
I've learned the hard way NOT to hesitate when I see a deal on something I want. Sometimes it pays off to wait, but usually it back fires on me. I wavered on picking up Torchwood on hd last year when it was just over $30. It was gone in less than a few hours & I have yet to find it anywhere near that price again(plus the fact its hard to find to begin with). Same goes for Star Trek TOS on hd. Luckily I got it for $32-34 on ebay before christmas after CBL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back