Memory Card Question

jshorr

CAGiversary!
I just got my XBOX a few months ago and see a need for a memory card....but now we're going to be getting 2 Xbox's at work for late nights and team building stuff. I might like to take some saves to work, including Full Spectrum Warrior.

I haven't searched hard for the info or anything but I figure a lot of you guys will know. Can you easily transfer games from your hard drive to your memory card....and is it true that the memory card isn't big enough to hold saves on some games? Thanks.

Jake

I work in the IT field. And obviously I don't play during regular work hours (save for some occasional quick GBA action if things are dead). But we are planning to do an occasional gamer night paid for the company (pizza, beer, and the xboxs are being bought by the company) as a team building thing. Also a lot of times the job requires you to do work in the evening where you have to sit around and wait until 9, 10pm for example when everyone has left....I can definately get some gaming in then....

Any idea about Full Spectrum Warrior, and whether you can transfer from HD to card? That sucks about KOTOR, surprising that Microsoft or a 3rd party wouldn't release a much larger card...

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Yes it's true, on some games a single save file is bigger than a memory card. KOTOR for one I know is.[/quote]

I heard if you get a action replay it will work or datel just came out with a thumb stick similar to I think the old dex drive for the ps1. It was in the new gamepro.

[quote name='jshorr']I work in the IT field. And obviously I don't play during regular work hours (save for some occasional quick GBA action if things are dead). But we are planning to do an occasional gamer night paid for the company (pizza, beer, and the xboxs are being bought by the company) as a team building thing. Also a lot of times the job requires you to do work in the evening where you have to sit around and wait until 9, 10pm for example when everyone has left....I can definately get some gaming in then....[/quote]

That's a cool idea. It must be fun.

Talk to BigNick. I recall him posting about rigging a USB thumbdrive to work as an Xbox memory card.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6216/Datel-Launches-Max-Drive-for-Xbox

They have a 16mb it looks like and just announced or released 32 and 64...only thing is it takes up a controller slot but that's not a big deal....I wonder if these work on USA xbox's and where you can get one...

[quote name='scdoanintendo']I heard if you get a action replay it will work or datel just came out with a thumb stick similar to I think the old dex drive for the ps1. It was in the new gamepro.[/quote]

A lot of the bigger save files actually have the "Copy" function blocked, so that even if your memory card can hold large amounts of data, you won't be able to copy them. An Action Replay may help in that case, though.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']I heard if you get a action replay it will work or datel just came out with a thumb stick similar to I think the old dex drive for the ps1. It was in the new gamepro.[/quote]

Actually I remember reading about these now, it's probably your best bet. It's basically a USB flash drive already set up for Xbox saves. If I remember correctly, the Xbox version should be out within a month.

Ebgames has the PS2 version if you're curious what they are..

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243921.asp

You can buy the xbox version of Max Drive at the codejunkies webstore. I think the Ps2 version has different size upgrade to a 32 mb, but I dunno if the xbox version does.

Let me back up here for a second....are there a lot of games that can't be copied to a memory card regardless of size? A friend of mine has to double check but he said he wasn't able to copy Full Spectrum Warrior Saves to the memory card....even though they seem to be very small.....

I've seen a madcatz save manager for xbox software also, I wonder if that would get around the problem?

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/238161.asp

Nevermind, the save manager thing looks like it's the same as an action replay except that you supply your own memory card.....the software is not for the xbox....

Yeah some you can't copy for one reason or another regardless of size. I don't know all them off the top of my head, but Tecmo seems to block the ability to copy saves in their games alot. I'll see if I can find a list some place

That sucks about the full spectrum warrior saves...i really wanted to bring those into work...

you can download the action replay software and hack it to use any kind of memory card, even 3rd party. download a free microsoft application called USBVIEW (google it) and then hook your USB to memory card adapter (with the memory card already attached) into your computer (gameshark or action replay will work)
xboxarhack4.jpg.jpg

xboxarhack5.jpg.jpg

Then open the usbview app and look for your memory card (it may be named something like "USB mass storage device" or along the lines).
xboxarhack1.jpg.JPG

xboxarhack2.jpg.JPG

As you can see, i've already changed my 3rd party mad catz memory so it will work with action replay. What you do next is click on the xbox memory card device on the left side of the screen and look at the right side of the screen. copy the "idVendor" and the "idProduct" codes WITHOUT THE 0x (meaning you would copy just the (0E4C and the 044B) then close USBVIEW. Next go to your "drivers" folder inside the action replay software folder on your computer (here's the most used path
C/program files/Datel/ActionReplay Xbox/drivers)

and then open up the xbreader file in notepad and you'll see the following information:
xboxarhack3.jpg.JPG

just copy a line that starts with %S_Device... and paste it at the bottom of the same list. then take the 2 codes you copied from USBVIEW and paste them in the VID_ and PID_ areas (you can see from my pic that i pasted the 0E4C and 044B in the 2nd to the last line. save the text document and then open up action replay. if everything was done correctly your memory card will appear and you can then back up anything!!!

NOTE: this is the same method you would use to make a USB thumbdrive work with your xbox. but you have to make sure you use a thumbdrive that is compatible with the xbox, or the xbox (and action replay) won't see it. Just order a USB to memory card adapter from microsoft (go to xbox.com and search "PSO Keyboard".
xboxarhack6.jpg.jpg

You will be able to order an adapter for free (+6 bucks shipping) and then you hook the thumbdrive into one end and the memory card end to the action replay or gameshark adapter and repeat the above instructions! (the PNY thumbdrive pictures DOES NOT work with the xbox. i heard sandisk thumbdrives work well using this method and people have used any size from 16mb to 512mb) good luck!
xboxarhack7.jpg.jpg

Sorry this took so long to post, i'm on 56k and uploadint the pictures was a bitch!

jshorr: that gameshark device is what i used to hook my 3rd party memory cards to my computer, then used action replay and the above hack to get the whole system to work. i'm in the process of figuring out how to use the "Mega X Key" software to format my USB thumbdrive so it will work with the xbox.

for me this whole thing started when my xbox crapped out on me. i can turn it on and get to the dashboard, but after about 15 minutes of the xbox turned on, the screen goes to the "your xbox needs service" and my light blinks red and green. and i'll be damned if i'm gonna lose all of my game saves, so i've been transfering them to my computer until i get a new xbox.

^ great post, I still have to get one of those free thumb drive adaptors. I think they will only offer them till the end of 04.

bread's done
Back