Men Over 30

[quote name='2DMention']For some reason, I'm finding myself being real tired during the day, they only sleeping like 5-6 hours at night. Example: I went to bed at 9pm, got up at 2am, and can't get back to sleep. Anybody else have this problem?[/QUOTE]
Frequently. I blame stress.

Yeah, when that happens to me it's stress related. Tired from being stressed, then have problems sleeping cause the stress has my mind racing at night.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, when that happens to me it's stress related. Tired from being stressed, then have problems sleeping cause the stress has my mind racing at night.[/QUOTE]

Try popping a 400mg tablet of magnesium, about 45 minutes before you go to bed. If should help.

If it doesn't, you'll wake up a little healthier. No loss and can stop taking them when done.

Poppy seed extract in tea can help, too.

Haven't tried magnesium, but melatonin usually helps when I'm having trouble sleeping.

Haven't had many issues lately thankfully.

Great thread guys. Good to know I'm not alone on some of this stuff.

35 years here. I've had about three rough years financially - although I'd consider myself very lucky compared to most.

Now I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Come March I'll be pretty damn close to debt free and I'm getting pretty damn excited about it.

Without spilling a bunch of needless details about myself and my situation here's the basics - I'm not married, I live rent free and I have a throwaway retail job making 15k a year.

I'd like to hear what you guys would do if you found yourselves debt free in my shoes.

hookers, lots of hookers.

Just broke it off with a gal because "I'm a child" despite having a couple of degrees, a very solid job, pay all my bills, keep my pups healthy etc... I think she couldn't deal with a guy with a pair of pinball machines in the house that spends 10-20 hours per week playing video games or guitar. I mean really, what the hell am I supposed to do with my free time? Cumb Dunt.

I'm getting to the point where I think being a hermit is really the way to go. Or if you've ever heard that Neil Young song "A Man Needs A Maid", I think that might really be my ideal situation.

[quote name='nasum']hookers, lots of hookers.

Just broke it off with a gal because "I'm a child" despite having a couple of degrees, a very solid job, pay all my bills, keep my pups healthy etc... I think she couldn't deal with a guy with a pair of pinball machines in the house that spends 10-20 hours per week playing video games or guitar. I mean really, what the hell am I supposed to do with my free time? Cumb Dunt.

I'm getting to the point where I think being a hermit is really the way to go. Or if you've ever heard that Neil Young song "A Man Needs A Maid", I think that might really be my ideal situation.[/QUOTE]
You're supposed to be spending that time catering to HER needs, you dumb asshole!:lol:

edit: Btw, that edit could be interpreted another way too...:rofl:

I am turning 30 in 2 months

And having a tent for 24/7 is killing me too because I am turning 30 years old

Turned 30 last month. Something I never did before my daughter was born is taking a nap. I get around 6 hours of sleep at night and take a 1 or 2 hour nap with my daughter during the day, and by god to I look forward to that nap.

I don't have problems getting to sleep but I do have some trouble jumping out of bed and having energy for the first part of my day. Once I get to work I'm good, but that first 6 hours is a drag. Anything besides caffine I can take that will give me more energy? I'd like to work out but I spend the first part of my day taking care of my daughter.

[quote name='dohdough']You're supposed to be spending that time catering to HER needs, you dumb asshole!:lol:

edit: Btw, that edit could be interpreted another way too...:rofl:[/QUOTE]

edit? I made no edit.

[quote name='nasum']
I'm getting to the point where I think being a hermit is really the way to go. [/QUOTE]

This is where I am. Women aren't even a consideration at this point.

I don't buy into that "get married, buy a house, have some kids, work until you die thing". That's what so many people do with their lives. It's become a yardstick to measure how successful or well adjusted a person is. Frankly, that's bullshit.

I recommend everyone entering adult life read Tom Hodgkinson's "The Freedom Manifesto". It will make you question social programming like "I have to get married. I have to buy a house. I have to have a career".

Also, I figured out what I'm going to do once I'm debt free. It doesn't involve hookers but thanks for the suggestion, lol.

[quote name='Broseph']This is where I am. Women aren't even a consideration at this point.

I don't buy into that "get married, buy a house, have some kids, work until you die thing". That's what so many people do with their lives. It's become a yardstick to measure how successful or well adjusted a person is. Frankly, that's bullshit.

I recommend everyone entering adult life read Tom Hodgkinson's "The Freedom Manifesto". It will make you question social programming like "I have to get married. I have to buy a house. I have to have a career".

Also, I figured out what I'm going to do once I'm debt free. It doesn't involve hookers but thanks for the suggestion, lol.[/QUOTE]

I have a plan to impregnate women from at least 100 different countries and to have them perform the 50th Anniversary of "We Are The World".

do tell

My problem with completely shunning society is that I do require some interaction, just not much and in small doses. The downside of misanthropy I suppose.

[quote name='Broseph']This is where I am. Women aren't even a consideration at this point.

Also, I figured out what I'm going to do once I'm debt free. It doesn't involve hookers but thanks for the suggestion, lol.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has different needs. Wanting a family or living like a hermit, it's your choice. No right or wrong way. But I agree, we shouldn't all subscribe to the same ideals. With that said I find that the people who say "I don't want marriage, kids, family, etc" tend to be the lonely & bitter type.

[quote name='Rodimus']Everyone has different needs. Wanting a family or living like a hermit, it's your choice. No right or wrong way. But I agree, we shouldn't all subscribe to the same ideals. With that said I find that the people who say "I don't want marriage, kids, family, etc" tend to be the lonely & bitter type.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. I find it admirable that people can raise families in the face of all of the adversity and obstacles we have today. Takes all kinds. Glad no one flew off the handle, haha. I know there are a lot of parents posting here.

Anyhow, the term loner has such a negative stigma attached to it. There's plenty of well adjusted guys and girls that choose not to marry and whatnot. I just know, sometimes the loner lifestyle is judged unfairly because we didnt choose the family lifestyle.

There's a book called "Party of One" that deals with all those topIcs.

I'm middle of the road, leaning towards hermit, I guess? I keep a close circle of friends but that's good enough for me. I'm an ace with people and I'm not imposing so sadly, I'll never give off the scary loner vibe, haha.

You'll notice I said "at this point" in regards to women. I'm not actively looking but I could change my mind, haha. Don't know how well I could keep up with a kid at my age though, haha.

I never followed the get married have kids deal. Single life was always pretty good to me. I did not get married until I was 40 and my wife who is 7 years younger than I, have no kids. We’re both pretty young at heart and enjoy life as it is. I’ve been blessed to have her in my life.

For me, probably the most challenging thing to being over 40 so far is the gradual adjustment to having parents that are in their 70's. I've seen them both noticeably age the last few years and I've been able to accept/handle it better than I would have when I was 30. They only live a few miles away so I make the weekly visits and keep in touch much more. Hell, they still help me out as much as I help them.

Getting old isn’t bad. You watch what you eat a bit more and take the occasional nap. Is that so hard?

[quote name='dmlopr']For me, probably the most challenging thing to being over 40 so far is the gradual adjustment to having parents that are in their 70's. I've seen them both noticeably age the last few years and I've been able to accept/handle it better than I would have when I was 30.[/QUOTE]
That's something I'm definitely not looking forward to. I'm experiencing it now with my grandparents (father's side) who are entering their 80s. When I was a kid they seemed invincible. Watching them slowly deteriorate (grandma can barely walk anymore) is tough.

Yeah, wanting a family or career etc. or not is just an individual preference thing.

I've never had a desire to have kids. I don't necessarily care about marriage, but definitely want to have someone to settle down with. I've pretty much always been in one long-term relationship or another from high school on.

Job wise I'm very career driven. I enjoy most of my work so that makes it easier to be focused on advancing your career than if you have some job you hate.

As for parents, mine are in their 60s--or close, mom is 59 for another couple months. My dad is still in pretty good health. My mom has always been in pretty poor health from being a chain smoker since her teen years and still won't quit.

[quote name='Rodimus']Everyone has different needs. Wanting a family or living like a hermit, it's your choice. No right or wrong way. But I agree, we shouldn't all subscribe to the same ideals. With that said I find that the people who say "I don't want marriage, kids, family, etc" tend to be the lonely & bitter type.[/QUOTE]Many men who get married end up living like hermits just to get away from their horrible wives and kids. A common contingency plan is to buy a house with a basement or extra room. Or they simply start working late for no other reason than to avoid the family.

You can be not married and childless and still have fun and still engage in relationships. And when you refrain from marriage, you don't have to give half of your wealth away to some bitch just because you got tired of her, or she of you.

Remember, married types with children want you to be married and have children as well, so you can be as miserable as they are.

[quote name='Broseph']
I recommend everyone entering adult life read Tom Hodgkinson's "The Freedom Manifesto". It will make you question social programming like "I have to get married. I have to buy a house. I have to have a career". [/QUOTE]
Ditch and marriage, kids and house if you feel that way, but don't fall into the loser mentality trap by neglecting your career. Your career is what's mostly likely to pay off dividends if you work hard at it.

[quote name='Spokker']Many men who get married end up living like hermits just to get away from their horrible wives and kids. A common contingency plan is to buy a house with a basement or extra room. Or they simply start working late for no other reason than to avoid the family.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like it's not their fault. They have a horrible wife and kids because they're a horrible person who makes horrible mistakes. Don't marry a bitch, raise your kids better, stop being a boy and be a man. I have no sympathy for deadbeats who neglect a family they created.

[quote name='Spokker']Remember, married types with children want you to be married and have children as well, so you can be as miserable as they are.[/QUOTE]

This goes both ways. Single guys could tell me how awesome it is to be a bachelor just to make me envious of their "freedom" when in truth they're lonely & miserable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marriage rate is on the decline in both Britain and the US. Here are the stats for the US.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2010...-to-decline/UPI-77271285810979/#ixzz1hwQT1Awk

The rate of married U.S. adults ages 25-34 dropped by 10 percent in the last 10 years, a non-profit organization calculated using U.S. Census data.

Mark Mather and Diana Lavery of the Population Reference Bureau in Washington say more young couples are delaying marriage or forgetting marriage altogether -- most likely a result of the economic downturn and decline in the housing market.

However, the trend to forgo marriage has been a long-term trend. For all U.S. adults, 57 percent were married in 2000, but that dropped to 52 percent in 2009 -- the lowest percentage recorded since information on marital status was first collected by the U.S. Census Bureau about 100 years ago, the analysis says.
So maybe would-be grooms and brides are listening to the bachelors.

[quote name='Rodimus']You make it sound like it's not their fault. They have a horrible wife and kids because they're a horrible person who makes horrible mistakes. Don't marry a bitch, raise your kids better, stop being a boy and be a man. I have no sympathy for deadbeats who neglect a family they created.
[/QUOTE]

Agree on the kids. But in terms of spouses, people change.

I've not been married, but I've been in a couple very long term relationships (one 8 years, one 7 and counting) and people just change. The first girl just turned into a bitch, developed some mental problems etc.

So it's not always the fault of making a bad decision and marrying the wrong person. Some times people just completely change as years go by.

Like I said, I'm not anti-marriage and definitely want to settle down. Maybe even with the current g/f. But I don't think that every marriage that fails is the result of making bad decisions etc. Sometimes people just change and aren't good together anymore.

Kids I'll likely never want (that's one of two sticking points in my current relationship) as I just don't like the little bastards and thus don't want to invest all the time and money in them. I just don't have the patience for kids. I want to focus on my career and enjoying my free time, and being around kids isn't something I enjoy at all. I want to come home and relax and enjoy my hobbies, not have to babysit.

From an early age I always wanted a wife, 2 sons, house in the burbs, and a dog. Now that I am 30+ I want a GF, no kids (maybe a daughter if she already had one that was at least 5, so I don't have to deal with the toddler type stuff), and a dog.

I wish I could have a dog now, but it would be unfair to keep an animal in an apartment.

All of the older people I know (60s, 70s) who are unmarried and have no kids are very lonely. It's probably a lot easier to enjoy your "freedom" and hang out with friends and such while you're younger (20s, 30s). You can always get married at any age, of course. But if you get past your 30s and then realize you wish you had had kids, you basically missed your chance.

[quote name='Rodimus']People change but sometimes you aid that change.[/QUOTE]

For sure.

But whatever the cause, the end result is the same. People sometimes grow apart through no real fault of their own. It's not always just making bad decisions on who to marry etc. Sometimes one person (or both people) change and it just doesn't work anymore.

In any case, I think many here (on both sides) are being to judgmental. Plenty of people are happy as hell with their family lives, and plenty of others are happy being single as their self-content types. Others are married and miserable, or single and lonely and miserable.

Everyone is different in what they want in life vs. what they have, the level of social interaction they need and so on.

I'm kind of in the middle myself I guess. I like having someone, but I also value freedom and being able to come home from work and do whatever the hell I feel like.

That's the biggest reason I don't want kids, as that disappears. My current g/f would be ideal if she decides she doesn't want kids as she's even more of a workaholic than I am so I have plenty of time for movies, games etc. while she's still working on evenings and weekends.

We need a little levity in here.

Guys, dating after 30 is tough. There's usually a reason they're still single. Or several reasons. For example... About five years after I graduated, I ran into this girl I used to have a thing for in college. Total happenstance - we had both moved to the same town, hundreds of miles from our alma mater. It was so random, I found it exciting. I mean, what are the odds?

We started seeing each other. There were some red flags but I kept going out with her once or twice a week. Turns out her husband had cheated on her a few years before and she was carrying all that baggage. Unfortunate? Yes. I tried to be mindful of it and show some sympathy if it came up but it was clear she had insane trust issues. She yelled at me for being late to a date on the day I was signing a new lease. Sorry I need a place to live? That was near the end of our very brief series of dates - or whatever the hell they were.

Her basement apartment was like something you'd see on Hoarders and to top it off she believed in ghosts and all sorts of whacky shit. I mean, a person can have one scary ghost story that's fine - but this was too much.

Also, she had this hairless dog with some kind of skin disease. Hard to cozy up on the couch when a walking contagion is at your feet. This was back before I liked animals so that was a double strike. The best part was that it was her ex husbands dog and she was keeping it out of some kind of misguided responsibility.

Needless to say that didn't last long. Eight or ten weeks maybe?

That's when the emails started.

Luckily, I only ran into her once in the next couple of years while I lived in that town. It was at a concert - so it was a quick "Hi! Oops! There's my friends!" and done. I think the music drowned out the groan that escaped my mouth when I saw her ...but probably not.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
As for parents, mine are in their 60s--or close, mom is 59 for another couple months. My dad is still in pretty good health. My mom has always been in pretty poor health from being a chain smoker since her teen years and still won't quit.[/QUOTE]

Anyhow on the parents thing - my parents are a little older than yours but my mom is the same way. Frequent coughing fits, various inhalers and pills, a rough bout of pneumonia two years back - and she still goes outside once an hour to suck down cigs. Doesn't matter if it's 20 or 100 degrees outside.

Then again, I'm a raging Dr Pepper addict so who am I to talk?

[quote name='Backlash']All of the older people I know (mostly relatives) who are unmarried and have no kids are very lonely. It's probably a lot easier to enjoy your "freedom" and hang out with friends and such while you're younger (20s, 30s). You can always get married at any age, of course. But if you get past your 30s and then realize you wish you had had kids, you basically missed your chance.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely true. The older you get the more lonely you get if single as your friends marry off, have kids etc. and don't have time to hangout much anymore.

Kids though, I've not seen many people change their mind on wanting kids after their 30s though. If you don't want them by then you probably never will. I've seen a lot of people who said they didn't want kids in their 20s who later changed their mind. But none of my friends or family my age (33) or older have changed their minds on it yet.

If I ever had kids it would be for the wrong reasons (g/f, wife insisted and I gave in etc.). I just don't enjoy them. Have no patience for diapers, kids throwing fits etc. I'd be one of those absentee fathers who just works a lot and doesn't pay a lot of attention to the kids until they're old enough for sports, video games etc. And that's a pretty shitty father, so better off sticking to my guns and not having kids.

[quote name='Broseph']
Guys, dating after 30 is tough. There's usually a reason they're still single. Or several reasons.
[/QUOTE]

That's one thing that's starting to change for the better though as more people put off marriage longer.

A lot of people are going to grad school, focusing on their career and not really putting much effort into finding a spouse until their 30s.

Works out for me as I'm only interested in well-educated women who are as, or more, career focused than I am, and those are the type most likely to be later 20s to mid 30s and never married (and not crazy!).

Some people really enjoy the baby/toddler age. I dont, though, and my wife doesn't either, really. I mean, they're super cute, but you definitely are taking care of them and just entertaining them. But that only lasts a few years, which isn't a lot in the overall scheme of things.

I have a 4.5 year-old and he's already pretty fun to hang out with. The older he gets, the better it is. Playing sports, video games, board games, going to movies, etc are all in the future once he's a little older. Personally, I'm looking forward to the days when my kids are old enough that I don't have to hold back on the competition (or worry about the voilence level in games and movies).

Also, you're never really ready for kids. But if you think you want to have them, one day you just gotta take the plunge. Some people just don't want them, and that's fine, too. My sister, for example, isn't ever going to have kids (by choice, not health reasons).

Yeah, I definitely would loathe the toddler years.

The only possible way I could see myself capitulating is if my g/f decided to adopt, and we went no younger that 4 or 5 years old. Then they're out of diapers, at/near school age so no crazy expensive day care (since we both work long hours) etc. And they're at/near the age where you can start to have some fun with them rather than just constantly supervising them, dealing with crying, changing diapers and all that bullshit.

As for a few years not being a lot in the grand scheme, I have to disagree there. Life is damn short. If you're have 2 or 3 kids you're looking at 5-10 years of dealing with toddlers depending on how afar apart they are. Even with just 1, 5 years is a good chunk of time to be stuck with something you don't enjoy. Life is too short for that for me anyway.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's definitely true. The older you get the more lonely you get if single as your friends marry off, have kids etc. and don't have time to hangout much anymore.

Kids though, I've not seen many people change their mind on wanting kids after their 30s though. If you don't want them by then you probably never will. I've seen a lot of people who said they didn't want kids in their 20s who later changed their mind. But none of my friends or family my age (33) or older have changed their minds on it yet.

If I ever had kids it would be for the wrong reasons (g/f, wife insisted and I gave in etc.). I just don't enjoy them. Have no patience for diapers, kids throwing fits etc. I'd be one of those absentee fathers who just works a lot and doesn't pay a lot of attention to the kids until they're old enough for sports, video games etc. And that's a pretty shitty father, so better off sticking to my guns and not having kids.[/QUOTE]

Better use birth control then.

15 years ago in my early 20s I was interested in having kids either. Just hanging out, having fun. A year later, getting married. Still dont want kids.

Then being told that you probably can't have kids, changes things I guess. Now we've got three.

I enjoy them and love them to death, even if they are a bit crazy and can be a drag sometimes.

I miss having my own personal time and space, but I enjoy spending time and doing things with them more.

To each their own.

Lulz to those with no kids that think 4-5 years old is magically an easy age :p My 5 year old, and nearly 3 year old would disagree with you on that. My oldest is definitely waaaay active, ringleader at school, gets kids to follow him and do disruptive things. He's a walking injury, but too stubborn to admit when he really gets hurt. My daughter can refuse to communicate at times, just screaming. Then other times she won't stop babbling. It's not unusual during the course of the week to have one or both wake up at 1am just flat out pissy and crying.

A couple nights ago, things were looking good, wife and I were going to have familiar relations, we wander in to the bedroom, and apparently earlier in the evening my 5 year old had decided to come down from his room and sleep in our bed, then started throwing a fit when I told him I would carry him upstairs to his room. He stayed, and no nookie for me. The wife is 5.5 months pregnant with number 3, so we're getting close to diaper time and all night feedings again.

The kicker-I wouldn't change a single one of those things, sincerely, for any amount of money. If someone offered me billions to magically be 20 and single instead of 30+ and married with 2.5 (heh, almost literally) kids, I'd turn them down before the sentence was finished. Kids can push you to insanity, and save you from it, all in the same day. For those who haven't experienced it, having your baby fall asleep on you for the first time, melts any heart. Looking at their faces, and seeing them grow, and learn...it's invigorating because the creativity, innocence, and curiosity are all traits that we lose as we get older.

It's not for everyone, and there are certainly horrible parents who should have never had kids, but for me, I can't imagine life without them, and wouldn't want to.

Yeah, that sums up my feelings a little bit more eloquently.

I spent almost 5 minutes arguing with my just-turned 4 year old over what color cup she should drink from today. (Not-a pink cup!! No!!. What about, yellow cup?)

But still wouldnt have it any other way. (Probably. How many billions?)

Oh, I don't think 5 year olds are easy by any means having had to deal with nieces/nephews in that age range recently. Just less hassle than the constant supervision, diaper changing etc. of infants and toddlers, and old enough to be in school for free go to summer camps etc. to get them out of your hair. :D

But yeah, it's just a to each, their own thing. I just don't enjoy kids, and in general I'm pretty self interested/selfish and just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it. So kids will probably never be for me, and relationship wise I really only work with women who are career focused and self-oriented and also need a lot of personal time.

I've never been much of a people person nor needed a huge amount of social contact. I like having a constant girlfriend (as long as she's not clingy) and getting together with friends a couple nights a month and spending the rest of my time on work on hobbies.

Interesting thread. I'm almost 30, 28 and I've been married and out of school for almost 4 years, I own a house, and my wife and I both work. I do enjoy my man cave and some video games. My wife and I have talked about kids. It seems she is ready, but I'm not certain if I ever will. We have two nieces 1 that is 2 and the other is a newborn. The older one is entertaining and I can tell she's going to talk my ear of later on in life.

The funny thing is when I was 22-23 I thought having a kid would be a lot of fun. Now I'm not so certain it doesn't help that I often work 10-12 hrs days and I'm pretty tried by the time I get home.

From talking with my friends who had kids at their mid 20s its a lot of sacrifices sometimes, and their priorities change. Most of them wouldn't change it for the world.

My girl is 1 and a half years old. I have little experience with older kids but this is a fun age. She's starting to talk more & more, she's easy to play with, and it's hilarious to see her mimic everything we do.

Anyone else teaching their children 2 languages? When they're alone my wife talks to my daughter in Japanese. She also has a bunch of Japanese and English books. I try to speak a little Japanese but we still want English to be her main language.

[quote name='Rodimus']My girl is 1 and a half years old. I have little experience with older kids but this is a fun age. She's starting to talk more & more, she's easy to play with, and it's hilarious to see her mimic everything we do.

Anyone else teaching their children 2 languages? When they're alone my wife talks to my daughter in Japanese. She also has a bunch of Japanese and English books. I try to speak a little Japanese but we still want English to be her main language.[/QUOTE]

Yah, we do a bit of Arabic. More a teaching of the alphabet, numbers, some basic words, and the unique sounds the letters make. I don't speak it well enough to teach grammar or sentence structure.

[quote name='Rodimus']My girl is 1 and a half years old. I have little experience with older kids but this is a fun age. She's starting to talk more & more, she's easy to play with, and it's hilarious to see her mimic everything we do.

Anyone else teaching their children 2 languages? When they're alone my wife talks to my daughter in Japanese. She also has a bunch of Japanese and English books. I try to speak a little Japanese but we still want English to be her main language.[/QUOTE]

If you have the ability to teach children another language or 2 or 3, I would do it. Especially a "tough" one like Japanese. Chinese has become common in schools. My cousin was taught it like we were taught Spanish or French in grade school/jr high. Spanish obviously has applications in the US.

I would also encourage a musical instrument like Piano.

what is it called when you're stuck in a slow lane, change over to a faster lane, only to have the previous lane start picking up pace? It's someone's name and Law. It's almost like the application of irony. I can't for the life of me remember it right now...

[quote name='berzirk']Lulz to those with no kids that think 4-5 years old is magically an easy age :p My 5 year old, and nearly 3 year old would disagree with you on that. My oldest is definitely waaaay active, ringleader at school, gets kids to follow him and do disruptive things. He's a walking injury, but too stubborn to admit when he really gets hurt. My daughter can refuse to communicate at times, just screaming. Then other times she won't stop babbling. It's not unusual during the course of the week to have one or both wake up at 1am just flat out pissy and crying.

A couple nights ago, things were looking good, wife and I were going to have familiar relations, we wander in to the bedroom, and apparently earlier in the evening my 5 year old had decided to come down from his room and sleep in our bed, then started throwing a fit when I told him I would carry him upstairs to his room. He stayed, and no nookie for me. The wife is 5.5 months pregnant with number 3, so we're getting close to diaper time and all night feedings again.

The kicker-I wouldn't change a single one of those things, sincerely, for any amount of money. If someone offered me billions to magically be 20 and single instead of 30+ and married with 2.5 (heh, almost literally) kids, I'd turn them down before the sentence was finished. Kids can push you to insanity, and save you from it, all in the same day. For those who haven't experienced it, having your baby fall asleep on you for the first time, melts any heart. Looking at their faces, and seeing them grow, and learn...it's invigorating because the creativity, innocence, and curiosity are all traits that we lose as we get older.

It's not for everyone, and there are certainly horrible parents who should have never had kids, but for me, I can't imagine life without them, and wouldn't want to.[/QUOTE]

So awesome... Thank you for this. We're 28 weeks pregnant with (fraternal) twin boys. Unlike some in here, I never had reservations. I always knew I wanted kids (I don't understand how someone who wants kids gets married to someone who doesn't. Didn't it come up beforehand? Seems like a pretty big oversight.)

You should never have kids because someone else wants you to, to save a relationship, because it "seems like fun" or for any other reason than because you fundamentally want to have kids and love them to the best of your ability. I know a huge chunk of parenthood is going to suck, and it's going to make my life much harder in many ways. But the rewards are easily worth it to me.

A lot of you know my story. Tried for well over a year to have kids with no success and learned that I had testicular cancer and was told I would never father children. Fought the cancer, beat it, and almost five years after we first tried to conceive, through the miracle of modern science and the grace of God, we beat the infertility too (in spades). I count my blessings every day.

That said, yeah, of course the idea of surrendering so much (all?) of your personal time/space/sanity and fundamentally having your life changed is scary. But in my experience, that change generally not only makes life more interesting, it can also make you a better person and allow you to experience things that you never even knew you were missing. You give up some things, sure, but you gain so much more.

Hell, when my wife and I first moved in together, I'd wanted a dog for years, but was afraid to get one for fear I wasn't responsible enough, my apartment wasn't big enough, I'd have to walk him and pay all this money for the vet and food, and what if he pees on stuff, blah blah blah. Then one day she said, "Hey, let's get a dog." And we did. And it was awesome. Even when he did pee on stuff (like in the middle of our bed, with us both standing right in front of him -- which we still laugh about 10 years on). And it was the same thing when it came time to get a house. And then moving out of state. And then moving back. And getting a second dog. And so on. Each time there's this trepidation, even knowing that what's over the horizon is almost certainly going to be better. And having kids is pretty much the ultimate instance of that. I'm ready for it....I think.

[quote name='nasum']what is it called when you're stuck in a slow lane, change over to a faster lane, only to have the previous lane start picking up pace? It's someone's name and Law. It's almost like the application of irony. I can't for the life of me remember it right now...[/QUOTE]

Whoa, dude. Lay off the peyote.

Tybee, you are more prepared for parenthood than I ever was - and I'm pretty damn good at it.

My wife is 24 weeks along with #3 - I can't wait to do it all over again!

[quote name='Javery']Tybee, you are more prepared for parenthood than I ever was - and I'm pretty damn good at it.

My wife is 24 weeks along with #3 - I can't wait to do it all over again![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I should say, one of the prayers floating in the back of my head during all of this is, "Just let me get to play Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 before shit gets real." ;)

Congrats to you as well! In some ways, I think doing two at once will be easier than three consecutively. When we're repeating things like diaper changes in rapid succession, it probably will start to blend together. These being our first kids, we won't have a singleton as a frame of reference, so we'll at least be ignorant of how much easier it could be. :roll:

You can count me among those that was completely postive I was never going to have kids earlier in life. I was all about financial gain and personal success.

Thank God I changed my mind and started a family. I now have a 20 month old son and we are planning to start trying for a second later this year. Having a child really puts things in perspective and completely changes the way you look at life.....at least for me it did.

The way I view it, I didn't give anything up when having a child but I gained a lot. I changed for the better.

Having my son really showed me how pointless and downright stupid some of my previous "life goals" were.

[quote name='Tybee']Thanks for the vote of confidence! I should say, one of the prayers floating in the back of my head during all of this is, "Just let me get to play Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 before shit gets real." ;)[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Playing Skyrim? Good one Tybee. Mass Effect 3 I could see if you spread it out over 3 or 4 months but you will be lucky to find an hour a day. I promise you won't care though - you probably won't even think about it.

[quote name='Tybee']Congrats to you as well! In some ways, I think doing two at once will be easier than three consecutively. When we're repeating things like diaper changes in rapid succession, it probably will start to blend together. These being our first kids, we won't have a singleton as a frame of reference, so we'll at least be ignorant of how much easier it could be. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Thanks! We are excited. A buddy of mine had twins but about 15 months after his first daughter - he almost didn't make it because he knew how much work one kid was and the twins were killing him. You are doing it right - twins first is the way to go because you won't know the difference.

[quote name='BillyBob29']You can count me among those that was completely postive I was never going to have kids earlier in life. I was all about financial gain and personal success.

Thank God I changed my mind and started a family. I now have a 20 month old son and we are planning to start trying for a second later this year. Having a child really puts things in perspective and completely changes the way you look at life.....at least for me it did.

The way I view it, I didn't give anything up when having a child but I gained a lot. I changed for the better.

Having my son really showed me how pointless and downright stupid some of my previous "life goals" were.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. You can't explain it to people that don't have kids - you just can't. It's something you have to experience yourself to truly understand. My life is so much better now and the best years are yet to come.

bread's done
Back