message notification and powering off the wii

whataboutbob?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
got a quick question.....it seems that i never got the notification from nintendo that the weather channel was now activated. could it be because i completely power down my system instead of just pressing the power button on the remote? (reason i do this is because after being put in sleep mode for a few hours i felt the system and it was hot to the touch).

is this going to be the case for every message i receive (or dont receive)? do i need to leave it in sleep mode and let it possibly run hot, or can i completely power it down?

you have to have wiiconnect24 turned to always on or something on in the options menu. Otherwise when you power it off, it no longer is connected to the internet.

yea, ive got it turned on and ive got the light set to bright when notification of a message is received but still no good :(

i now have received the message about the weather channel update from nintendo, but once again did not have a glowing blue light notifying me

If you completely power off the system (you have a red light on the button), then your system is completely OFF, and WiiConnect24 (which keeps it connected to the internet) is also OFF. If you want to receive messages and things, your Wii has to be on standby (yellow light), and it is normal for it to get warm.

what's the downside of having the wii on standby compared to totally turned off?

i'm guessing more power usage + heat issues, anything else?

according to what i read on kotaku supposedly the wii only uses about 10 watts on standby and 17 while running a game. compared to about 160 watts for an xbox 360, so more power usage isn't a huge downside.

I have sort of the opposite problem. It seems like my Wii only updates when I put it in standby mode. I don't think I've ever gotten a new message while I was actually in the channels or in a game. Seems kind of silly that I have to essentially turn it off to get it to check the server.

[quote name='evilmax17']If you completely power off the system (you have a red light on the button), then your system is completely OFF, and WiiConnect24 (which keeps it connected to the internet) is also OFF. If you want to receive messages and things, your Wii has to be on standby (yellow light), and it is normal for it to get warm.[/quote]
Red is also standby, just with WiiC24 off.

[quote name='White-Wolf']silly question, how do I put the wii into standby?[/quote]
Turn it off. In the settings menu you can choose to have WC24 always running. I always leave the Wii in standby with Wii Connect24 running and my system never heats up so i don't know where the OP problem lies. I really enjoy coming home to the blue light even if it does only mean that a new message has arrived.

bread's done
Back