Metal Gear Acid to be card-based strategic Game

Ericnmel99

CAGiversary!
From Gamespot:
Teaser site for Konami's anticipated PSP release ready for gamers, but it contains little new information.
TOKYO--This past weekend, Konami's teaser Web site for Metal Gear Acid went live. The site currently features both English and Japanese sections, but the information on display is limited. In fact, the site currently only features the game's logo, a few screenshots, and the 3-month-old E3 trailer, as well as a comments submission form.

As revealed at E3, Metal Gear Acid will feature graphics similar to the PS2 game, but in the context of card-based strategic battles. You'll move hero Solid Snake around small cell-based maps, selecting cards that do such things as open fire on the enemy or allow you to hide inside a cardboard box.

Many of the available cards that have been revealed so far are based on items and characters from previous Metal Gear Solid games. For example, the Colonel Roy Campbell card lets you bomb a 5x5 area, and the Metal Gear Ray card lets you attack the five cells in front of Snake for 100 points of damage.

Cards fall into five categories: Action cards, such as the Best Shot card, allows you to kill an opponent with one hit; Item cards, such as body armor that can decrease damage; Support cards, such as Elude; Weapon cards, such as a SOCOM gun card that can do 10 points of damage without making a sound; and Character cards as mentioned above.

Metal Gear Acid takes place a while after Snake's retirement, suggesting that its setting is after the Metal Gear solid series. There is at least one new character that you'll be able to control: a girl with short blonde hair. While it's unknown if Metal Gear Acid will have voices, an illustration of the character that's speaking will be displayed on the screen whenever the game goes into event scenes.

Do they really think this is a good idea?
Sounds really stupid to me.
At this rate the PSP is going to be one big joke.
MGA is their killer app and its a card game.....

Why couldn't they just make another MGS game?

Thats what i thougth. They are going to seriously hurt the sales if one of their main franchise games is just a card game.

It has been known since E3 that MGAc!d would be a card based game. That said, this new information is making it look dumber than ever. You just know the box for the game is going to be very ambiguous on what kind of game it is.

i still think it sounds sweet. too bad so many of you have such poor attitude toward something new and diffrent...

I think it could work and all...if anything Konami suprises me with the twists in their games..but mixing Metal Gear with Yugi-oh just seems wrong...

Shouldn't it be either
Metal Gear Plasma
or
Metal Gear Gas?

'Acid' isn't really a state of matter; maybe they're leading into the next sequel, Metal Gear Base. You know, where the bad guy takes over our military bases? In the climactic battle scene, he taunts Snake .....'All your base are belong to us!'

I'm sorry, I made it through the resurgence of that phrase without ever saying it, and here I am saying it now. At least it's not cool anymore, so my uncool reputation is intact :)

I just can't see any good coming form this.
Its just to much of a bad mix.
All I keep thinking is that it will wind up as bad (or worst) as PSO3.
I thought PSO3 was a neat idea, boy was I wrong.

Another problem I see is that card game fans are a small group if your trying to apeal to a large group you don't make your killer app a card game.
Its like if MS made Halo a tune based card game and launched with that.

[quote name='punqsux']i still think it sounds sweet. too bad so many of you have such poor attitude toward something new and diffrent...[/quote]

I've said before that I'm 90% sure it will be an excellent game. But, taking into consideration the fact that Sony needs to sell a TON of PSPs quickly to stand a chance against the GBA and DS, I don't think something new and different was the best strategy. You'd be hard pressed to find an average video game consumer who is willing to shell out a large portion of their paycheck for something that just "looks interesting". I think it's pretty safe to say that a lot more Gamecubes would have been sold at launch if there had Mario game people could count on to be good.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Am I the only one who thinks this could work? It's making a tactical game with a twist.[/quote]

This has already been done - It's called Culdcept! (and it rules) :D

[quote name='daikaiju'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Am I the only one who thinks this could work? It's making a tactical game with a twist.[/quote]

This has already been done - It's called Culdcept! (and it rules) :D[/quote]

Thatit does. Now imagine Culdcept with Metal Gear characters and ideas, and full 3D graphics.

If the game is even remotely addictive as Culdcept is ... and I do realize that it will be somewhat different ... Konami has a potential killer title. If you don't think a card game translated to video game can't work - just play a few rounds of Culdcept. Just imagine being able to trade those cards via bluetooth etc :D ...potential w00t!

[quote name='Ericnmel99']From Gamespot:
There is at least one new character that you'll be able to control: a girl with short blonde hair.[/quote]

I now open discussion for all Raiden jokes.

Wow, I am so sick of all of these games becoming card games. Why do the Japanese love it so much? First Kingdom Hearts, now Metal Gear. When will the madness end?!

[quote name='Death2Sanity']Something different...I like the sound of it.

waaaah, card game, I'm scared mommy!

Grrr.[/quote]

lol exactly my feelings.

yes its diffrent, but its made by konami and i have alot of faith in them to make it a good fun game...while i havent played it and it may very well suck, i dont think it will.

i dont see why people care that its metal gear related. is that a BAD thing?

"ill go play pokemon" yeah, lets shun konami for trying to make a card game appealing to an older audience.

while we're at it lets shun all new ideas and just play remakes of mgs on every next gen system until the world explodes

We've already had a card game for older audiences. Remember Magic: The Gathering, the one that started it all? I watched normally responsible adults turned into cardwhore zombies and become enslaved to the pursuit of hunks of cardboard.

I once met the two guys who created Magic. I said it was finest nickel & dime scam I'd ever seen and wish I'd thought of it. One of them said "Bingo!" and they laughed and laughed.

I had my fill of the card metaphors with Arcana on the SNES. It was oool for one game. As a genre it is a blight upon the universe.

I hate Metal Gear games but I have to clarify things a little.

It is a card BASED game, like the new Metal Slug.

It is NOT a card game.

Its going to be an action game, but you have special abilities in the form of cards that you can use.

If they made a Culdcept for the PSP, it might push me over the edge.

On second thought, I'm imagining Culdcept for the DS, with the bottom screen showing my hand... Drool...

bread's done
Back