Metal Gear - Remake or no?

terborx

CAGiversary!
So I've never played any of the Metal Gear games except for the beginning of MGS2. If I want to get started should I get Twin Snakes for Gamecube or the old PS1 Metal Gear Solid? Does it really matter?

Twin Snakes has cool cutscenes from the director of Versus, if you've heard of that. They put in some play mechanics from MGS2 that make the game easier, which is good or bad depending on your point of view.

I'd say get Twin Snakes 'cause its prettier.

They're both different enough that it depends on how you want to view the series. The original MGS was more conservative with the "off the wall" antics of its successors, and The Twin Snakes fixed that. In addition, TTS is made incredibly easy due to the addition of a first person aiming mode.. Overall though, I prefer MGS:TTS due to the graphical enhancements, new scenes, and cut dialogue (most of which was boring anyway, especially that long-ass President Baker sequence). I'd say get the GC version, skip MGS2, and wait for MGS3: Substance (Subsistanance?).

Twin snakes is a fantasy version of the original MGS. There's one seen where snake jumps on top of a missile and does the mc hammer dance. It's also over the top matrix influenced. Stick with the original on ps1.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']Twin snakes is a fantasy version of the original MGS. There's one seen where snake jumps on top of a missile and does the mc hammer dance. It's also over the top matrix influenced. Stick with the original on ps1.[/QUOTE]

Which makes it fit with MGS2 and MGS3.

Just one problem with Twin Snake is that they chnaged the voice acting and music, and the orginal is just better. You also get some VR mission with the orignial.

IMO, just get the GC version. cleaner graphics, cooler re-done cinemas and also some gameplay improvements lifted from MGS2. all the new cinemas were directed by the guy that wrote/directed that japanese movie, Versus(among others). it's also dirt cheap nowadays. ~$20 used, i think.

edit: oh yeah, some of the voice acting was redone too. some for the better(Ninja), while some for the worse(Mei Ling).

If you end up liking Metal Gear Solid or Twin Snakes, keep an eye out for the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. It will have Metal Gear 1, and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on the disc(s)... those are the true beginning of the series.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']There's one seen where snake jumps on top of a missile and does the mc hammer dance.[/QUOTE]

You just made me LOL for real.

You guys do realize you are answering a question a guy asked in his first post that hasn't responded since he posted the thread right?

[quote name='smalien1']You guys do realize you are answering a question a guy asked in his first post that hasn't responded since he posted the thread right?[/QUOTE]
Yes. Anyway, back on topic, I'm surprised so many of you say Twin Snakes is better. I thought it was disappointing, and I'd stick to the original. They play completely differently.

[quote name='jetfire76']IMO, just get the GC version. cleaner graphics, cooler re-done cinemas and also some gameplay improvements lifted from MGS2. all the new cinemas were directed by the guy that wrote/directed that japanese movie, Versus(among others). it's also dirt cheap nowadays. ~$20 used, i think.

edit: oh yeah, some of the voice acting was redone too. some for the better(Ninja), while some for the worse(Mei Ling).[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's $20 new as a Player's Choice title. I just picked it up at TRU the other day.

I'm dying to finally play a game in the series, but I have other games which Imust finish off before opening my new ones.

I say play the original. You are wanting to play the 1st one so play the original. I own twin snakes however I still like the 1st one better.

Apparently I offended somebody by not responding to the posts (busy weekend) -- looks like I'll be getting the GC version. Thanks for the opinions.

Booo-urns, the PS1 version has the better voice acting and music while the gamecube one has better graphics. Sound vs graphiccssssssssssssssss!1

bread's done
Back