Metal Gear Solid 4 - $18.00 + FS at Newegg

It is definitely not the greatest game ever, and its not even the greatest metal gear solid game, but it is a very good game, and is easily worth the $18 if you're a fan of the metal gear solid games.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']How much would I like this game if I care little about the Metal Gear Mythos?[/QUOTE]

At $18 it's a solid game even if you didn't grow up playing the first 3. Graphics are amazing and it's still the best current gen stealth action game available. Shooting mechanics and controls are greatly improved over the earlier MGS games. The only knock on it is that it's fairly short if you skip the cut scenes.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']How much would I like this game if I care little about the Metal Gear Mythos?[/QUOTE]

probably not so much. cutscenes go on for hours with characters just talking and talking and the only thing they talk about is the vague plot thats been constructed up to that point. But at that price you may want to get it and skip all the cutscenes

I couldn't get into this game at all. I've tried hearing all these good things, but just couldn't stand the controls. Waiting on a GS promo to get rid of my copy.

[quote name='the_punisher']Best game ever made.

Don't you dare question it![/QUOTE]

questioned!! :).

to topic: nice price for MGS4, interesting though - I thought that this could be easily had for $20 shipped. (But, i'm assuming that would be for used versions).

In my top 5 games of all time.

I absolutely love all the MGS games; and this is the best of the bunch! (Trailed closely by 2. Don't argue... You know I'm right :p )

good deal!

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']How much would I like this game if I care little about the Metal Gear Mythos?[/QUOTE]I'm going to be honest with you, I've played each previous MGS game at least twice (MGS3 about 4-5 times) and even some of the stuff in MGS4 went over my head. It's a good game, no doubt, especially at that price, but if you go in for anything other than it's gameplay, you might be disappointed.

[quote name='mattcube64']I absolutely love all the MGS games; and this is the best of the bunch! (Trailed closely by 2. Don't argue... You know I'm right :p )[/QUOTE]It seems you haven't played 3 yet. You should do that one of these days then. :)

[quote name='ryushe']I'm going to be honest with you, I've played each previous MGS game at least twice (MGS3 about 4-5 times) and even some of the stuff in MGS4 went over my head. It's a good game, no doubt, especially at that price, but if you go in for anything other than it's gameplay, you might be disappointed.

It seems you haven't played 3 yet. You should do that one of these days then. :)[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree. I found MGS4 to be an okay game, at best.

MGS3 Subsistence was superior. As far as console releases, this is what I think: MGS1/MGS:TS > MGS3:Sub > MGS4 > MGS2

I sold mine off and I'm not tempted at all at picking this up again. IMHO, it never lived up to the hype.

When it comes to the end of such a powerful story, a lot of people are going to have strong feeling about the game regardless of flaws. Which is fine, it was indeed an epic finish. But if you aren't into the characters/narratives, I can't see how you'd find the gameplay anywhere above average.

[quote name='Brownjohn']It is definitely not the greatest game ever, and its not even the greatest metal gear solid game, but it is a very good game, and is easily worth the $18 if you're a fan of the metal gear solid games.[/QUOTE]
This man speaks the truth. I was disappointed immensely, and I liked a good portion of MGS2.

MGS4 was more of a fanfic, pandering to fans with the Shadow Moses stage, the lackluster fight with Vamp, the bosses with no relevance (and repeating backstories), no central location and conflict, Ocelot's ridiculous explanation, Raiden becoming a Frozener-ninja only to be reassembled as a human, Big Boss surviving with no burns on his face, and Snake not dying as promised. That's all off the top of my head.

Fans waited nearly a decade for this story to wrap up, and what they got was half-hearted at best. Even the gameplay was slow and tedious. (One of the six hours is devoted to following some guy. How is that fun?)

Discuss. Oh yeah, and that's an "OK" price for the game.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']
MGS4 was more of a fanfic, pandering to fans with the Shadow Moses stage, the lackluster fight with Vamp, the bosses with no relevance (and repeating backstories), no central location and conflict, Ocelot's ridiculous explanation, Raiden becoming a Frozener-ninja only to be reassembled as a human, Big Boss surviving with no burns on his face, and Snake not dying as promised. That's all off the top of my head.
[/QUOTE]Finally! Someone who gets it. Pretty much every instance in MGS4 just felt like a huge fanfic where everything it did was for the fanservice to the fans. Some were great (The last fight was amazing), but others not so much. Did I enjoyed the game? Yes, but I'm a Metal Gear fanboy anyway, so that's kinda a moot point. Was the story the rightful close to the series? Not by a long shot.

If it would had stuck to it guns (no pun intended) and was unsypathetic with everything it did, it would have been stuff of legends, but as it stands, it felt like a Disneyfied direct to DVD sequel version to the series.

People can say what they want but i loved this game. I came into MGS4 only playing MGS3 and not knowing a thing about the story. It was entertaining from start to finish and well worth the price when it was first released 2 years ago.

[quote name='ryushe']Finally! Someone who gets it. Pretty much every instance in MGS4 just felt like a huge fanfic where everything it did was for the fanservice to the fans. Some were great (The last fight was amazing), but others not so much. Did I enjoyed the game? Yes, but I'm a Metal Gear fanboy anyway, so that's kinda a moot point. Was the story the rightful close to the series? Not by a long shot.

If it would had stuck to it guns (no pun intended) and was unsypathetic with everything it did, it would have been stuff of legends, but as it stands, it felt like a Disneyfied direct to DVD sequel version to the series.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad there are other people that understand my issues with the game. I'm a huge fan, and I understand Kojima didn't even want to do Snake Eater let alone a fourth and final game. Still, it's no excuse for what became of Guns of the Patriots.

Thanks to those who tolerate the hijacking of this thread. :lol:

I purchased my PS3 when they released the MGS4/DualShock 80GB bundle. MGS4 was fun; easily worth it at that price.

I finished MGS on the PS1 long ago, but never could get into MGS2 or MGS3.

Love the MGS series but for some reason I keep going back to playing MGS1. Played it from start to finish in all formats - PS, PC, PSP, and even the GC twinsnakes ver. It might just be nostalgia but it was so groundbreaking during its time that I think it's still the best of the series.

This is a good deal even just to play MGS Online if ur not a fan of the series.

bread's done
Back