Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle PS3 in Stock at Sears.Com W. $2.99 shipping

This is the one with the software BC? I thought the software BC has problems with some games, so why not just buy an 80gb without BC, and a slim PS2? That way you'll get full PS2 support and pay the same price as this..

PAIN coupon will probably be expired. Mine ended on 12/31/2008.

Software BC is good. I noticed some glitches like the sky flickering in TT, but overall very good.

[quote name='sunghost']This is the one with the software BC? I thought the software BC has problems with some games, so why not just buy an 80gb without BC, and a slim PS2? That way you'll get full PS2 support and pay the same price as this..[/QUOTE]

It's partial HW/partial SW BC. And while there are some games that don't work perfectly, every PS2 game I've played has been great, except for the small amount of input lag in Frequency & Amplitude.

For me it was worth it to get upscaling, and have only one console hooked up to my monitor. It may not be worth it to other people.

Isnt a fully backwards compatible model coming out in May for the same price (sans mgs4) but with a 250gb hard drive.

this is the one to get. i also wanted BC but heard it works with some games. i decided to pull the trigger when it first came out and it has worked with all my ps2 games except the recently ported kingdom hearts re:chain of memories. anyhow, theres a workaround that problem anyways. i highly suggest this bundle. its frikin awesome.

bah

In the market for a PS3 but was set on just waiting for another Dell coupon deal on the standard 80g

Not sure if BC is really worth the $100. To me, at least.

edit: Good, I don't have to stress about making a decision - it seems to be sold out.

We are sorry, the following item(s) and/or quantity are no longer available for delivery. See more information below.

This item is no longer available for delivery. It has been removed from your cart. You can see similar items.
Only 0 of these are available for delivery. You can update the quantity or select store pick up (if available) in the shopping cart below, remove the item or see similar items.
This item is no longer available for delivery. It has been removed from your cart. You can see similar items.
This item is no longer available for delivery. You can select store pick up (if available) in the shopping cart below, remove the item or see similar items.
PLAYSTATION®3 Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle
Sears Item # 05896004000 Mfr.model # PS3/MGS4 Bundle
Tax + $8 shipping would have killed it for me anyways. I'm spoiled by no tax / no shipping thanks to Amazon.

It's bee4n there for a while (definitely saw it a few weeks back). No discount and they bundle it with an extra DS3. But if you want BC, this is as good as it's going to get, esp considering this one can be returned as normal under Sears' return policy (in case you change your mind)...

EDIT: Nevermind, they changed it back to the bundle alone. When I checked a few weeks back it was $550 and came with a second DS3...

Too little too late in my opinion ... especially since I got my non-bc 80 gb for $250 with Little Big Planet , and Iron Man + Indiana Jones on blu-ray last November

(yes, had to open a sony card and wait for rebate, but everything went through and amazon is tax free + fsss biatch!)

Software BC works for the vast majority of PS2 games but all it takes is one not working to ruin it for you. Tales of the Abyss has a game ending glitch a couple hours in with the software BC models.

So is this model backwards compatible or not? The Sears description doesn't mention it and one of the customer reviews says it is not.

I was about to suggest that this is possibly a newer, non-BC 80GB unit with a copy of MGS4. But the description mentions PAIN, and I don't think the 80GB comes with that.

[quote name='JunkyardGod']Isnt a fully backwards compatible model coming out in May for the same price (sans mgs4) but with a 250gb hard drive.[/quote]
That sounded like CheapyD's April Fool's joke. :D

[quote name='JunkyardGod']Isnt a fully backwards compatible model coming out in May for the same price (sans mgs4) but with a 250gb hard drive.[/quote]

I've not heard anything even remotely like that. Source?

[quote name='$CASH$']Software BC works for the vast majority of PS2 games but all it takes is one not working to ruin it for you. Tales of the Abyss has a game ending glitch a couple hours in with the software BC models.[/quote]

QFT. Jak and Daxter (the first one) also has real bad lag issues. But overall it works well.

The reason you get this over a non-BC and a PS2 is three things (for me). First no switching between consoles or controllers. Two less wires/one less TV input taken up. Three is it upscales PS2 games to look better on HDTVs.

[quote name='LegolasFett']Three is it upscales PS2 games to look better on HDTVs.[/quote]

But its all about the widescreen for me. Im fine with my games not being 480p etc. but stretching the image drives me crazy. I dont think BC PS3's have a fix for that (as in, putting black bars on the left and right instead of stretching). Thats what I was told anyways. So, I just bought an 80 GB non-BC from Dell and now the PS2's price has dropped so yay.

[quote name='optimusprime8062']But its all about the widescreen for me. Im fine with my games not being 480p etc. but stretching the image drives me crazy. I dont think BC PS3's have a fix for that (as in, putting black bars on the left and right instead of stretching). Thats what I was told anyways. So, I just bought an 80 GB non-BC from Dell and now the PS2's price has dropped so yay.[/quote]

It does stretch the image out, but you can turn upscaling off which I normally do. I used the wrong term. It also offers smoothing which makes the image look much cleaner and crisper and less pixelated.

[quote name='LegolasFett']It does stretch the image out, but you can turn upscaling off which I normally do. [/quote]

Ah, so if you turn upscaling off it doesnt stretch the image?

[quote name='optimusprime8062']Ah, so if you turn upscaling off it doesnt stretch the image?[/quote]

Correct. It leaves it the aspect ratio tjat the game chooses, whether it be 4:3 or 16:9. Smoothing is what I use most.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I've not heard anything even remotely like that. Source?[/quote]

I'm guessing this:

[quote name='CheapyD']Two new PS3 SKUs were revealed, both containing full hardware based backwards compatibility with price and hard drive size being the only differences between. The 250 GB unit will be priced at $499.99 and the 500 GB model will return the PS3 back to its earlier $599.99 price point. When contacted for comment, SCEA's VP of Marketing, Jack DeVaney confirmed the new SKUs and prices:

"Increasing storage capacity helps us better communicate the value inherent in the PS3. Combined with built in Blu-ray, Wi-Fi, and full backwards compatibility, no other system can match our value proposition. One of the great things about the PS3 is that if you buy it today you can be confident it's going to be the centerpiece of your entertainment for the next 10 years. Economically, that's a great value."

The new PS3s will be available May 5th.[/quote]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219785

I am 99% sure that's a joke. Sony just released, well not just, a 160GB model that had no bc for $500. I doubt they would release a model that trumps it in such a way. Even if it's $700, which Sony wouldn't do considering the $600 model didn't sell very well when it came out and times are even harder.

EDIT: Just read the above poster and as the original post states, it's an April Fool's joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LegolasFett']Correct. It leaves it the aspect ratio tjat the game chooses, whether it be 4:3 or 16:9. Smoothing is what I use most.[/quote]

Ah man :( Ive been complaining about my PS2 games being stretched out and basically unplayable on my HDTV for a long time now. I had no clue the PS3 remedied that. Awesome, I might just go for a 60GB now.

EDIT: Also, I hear the fail rate is really high (on the 60GB). What do I do if it stops working? Send it to Sony (Pricey? And get it back in 6-8 weeks...) or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if it breaks outside of a year I believe it's $90 or $100 to fix it.

My 80GB stopped reading BRD but I blame myself for that. I had my PS3 in a TV unit with closable doors at a family members house and every time I left the room for more than 5 min with the PS3 on the maid would close the doors causing it to overheat in there. I would come in and hear the fans blazing and open the doors and a big puff of hot air would hit me in the face. I figure that couldn't have helped it and more than likely factored into the problem. Sony fixed it for me and it took...maybe 3 weeks from start to finish to get it back if not less.

I have this bundle, it plays God of War I and II perfect.

And regarding the other post about it being 4:3 or 16:9, thats not true. You can change the settings on the XMB for ps2 games, switch to full screen and the game will play...in full-screen, on a widescreen tv.

In terms of value, the 80GB (non PS2 BC) PS3 + a regular PS2 might be a better value for some:

+ 80GB PS3 is destined to drop in price, if you are not in a rush to get a PS3 since you still haven't bought one yet. The combination might be cheaper

+ PS2 slim has the added ability of being a separate system i.e. you can take a smaller lighter system with you on the go. The PS3 weighs a ton

+ PS2 slim is 99% compatible (few games that require hard drive doesn't work), the software BC PS3 only has about 70% compatibility or so. As someone mentioned you might run into game killing glitches i.e. not able to continue.

- As far as I know, the PS3 has a separate laser for DVDs, but having a separate unit for PS2 means there is an extra laser for you to wear out. Disc read errors are pretty common.

- you will have to deal with extra system connected to your TV, corded controller and might have to buy a memory card for the PS2

- you will not get a PS3 now and will have to wait

Thread title needs to be edited (NOT in stock) and/or stop the BC vs no-BC argument. BC is dead, get over it. If your selling point for a PS3 is if it has BC, you're buying a PS3 for all the wrong reasons. If playing PS2 games is so important to you, yet you don't already have a PS2, something is up.

It's just an error by Sears I think, I kind of doubt it was ever "in stock." As soon as you try to get to checkout it says the error.

^ i'm having problems hooking up my PS2 to my PC monitors. Apparently, i need some sort of VGA box, pain in the ass... I do like the PS2 rather than a PS3 with BC, it's slimmer (and i do intend to use it for PS2 games).

bread's done
Back