Metal Gear Solid 4 gets trophy support?

Organization_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/11/03/new-metal-gear-solid-4-box-lists-trophy-support/

"Thus far, the most significant release on the PlayStation 3, has been none other than Metal Gear Solid 4. The title released just before trophies were brought to the console, and fans have been begging for a trophy patch ever since. The new “Greatest Hits” packaging for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is currently hitting retailers everywhere, and the rear of the game case offers much hope for trophies finally being enabled for the PS3 exclusive.

While this isn’t a confirmation, and we have seen some mistakes on game cases in the past, it certainly offers a glimmer of hope for a MGS4 trophy patch.
On the rear of the new MGS4 Greatest Hits edition case reveals — as seen on all PS3 games — a short list of PlayStation Network features available in the title. The list shows it as having online multiplayer, voice chat and… trophies!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I was cautiously optimistic when I first read the news, but today I read somewhere that Konami had said that it was a misprint, and that a patch was not coming at this time... :(

If it's true it's about damn time. I just hope they release a patch for MGS4 itself and not just for that edition. I would love dust off my copy and give it a spin again.

Way too late for me to care at this point honestly. My copy of MGS4 is long gone, along with any desire to play through it again.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I was cautiously optimistic when I first read the news, but today I read somewhere that Konami had said that it was a misprint, and that a patch was not coming at this time... :([/QUOTE]

Well... so much for that.

Not that surprising I guess since they've already sold like 5 million copies already.

Derp. Rumors continue to persist and I continue to wait. I'm pretty sure I'll like the game, maybe love it, but I have a problem...

The game is not getting trophies. If I remember correction, Playstation Lifestyle was a banned site on GAF for a period of time for mis-information:
http://originalgamster.com/blog1/2010/11/04/konami-says-mgs4-trophies-are-not-coming/
Yesterday, rumors of trophies coming to Metal Gear Solid 4 were running rampant on the internet after a photo showing trophies as a feature on the MGS4 greatest hits edition surfaced. After de-shatting my pants, I fired off an e-mail to Konami to get the low down on the situation, and here was their reply… sorry folks…

“Dear Zach,

Thank you for reporting this issue. The listing of Trophies in the Greatest Hits edition of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a printing error that we are aware off. We are working with Sony to correct this error.

Unfortunately, at this time there are no plans to patch trophy support into this game.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have cause and we hope you will continue to enjoy the experience that Metal Gear Solid 4 has to offer.

Best regards,

Konami Customer Support”

Konami says they are not coming. If they were coming, we would have gotten them long ago. Kojima Productions already worked on MGS Peace Walker, while their other team is working on MGS Rising.

Damn, I've been sitting on it for years now waiting for the stupid trophy patch. Apparently it will never come so I might as well just give up hope and play the thing already

Movie Gear Solid 4=best non game that tried to masquerade as a game

Trophies don't mean crap as long as it's a game or series you like and it's a good game.

[quote name='trq']Way too late for me to care at this point honestly. My copy of MGS4 is long gone, along with any desire to play through it again.[/QUOTE]

what he said times ten. theres nothing about that game worth playing again. now give trophies to the first ps3 ratchet and clank game then well talk.

When I first saw this I was like "WTF?" Unless an updated version was released with more content (similar to the Substance versions in the past) I couldn't see why they'd suddenly update a game over two years old.

To my memory...beating it through extreme was a b****; especially so when you weren't trying to kill anyone. I still ended up not getting that stupid 'Big Boss' medallion, but I would do it all over again.

OP should read the articles he posts first:

"While this isn’t a confirmation"

"Metal Gear Solid 4 gets trophy support"

MGS4 rumors are false until proven truthful.

Wait, someone tagged this thread as "lies!!!!!!"? I just posted a link, and someone got that upset. Relax dude (whoever you are).

Note the first sentence of the second paragraph:

"While this isn’t a confirmation, and we have seen some mistakes on game cases in the past, it certainly offers a glimmer of hope for a MGS4 trophy patch."

This is very upsetting. Been pushing MGS4 to the back of my unplayed stack in hopes it would someday get trophies. Give the people what they want and patch the dam game already Konami!!

And while you're at it, why don't you release a MGS Collection for PS3 that includes MGS2 and MGS3...also with trophies...

Konami realizes that not all people need trophies to play a good/great game. It doesn't make a game unplayable if there's no virtual 'reward' for doing this or that in a game. It lets me focus on completing the game. Then again I'm not the person trophies are geared towards, since I largely don't give a shit about them.

I just find it so humorous that so many people will refuse to play some of the top rated games because they 'omg don't give me my Pavlovian stimuli that I've been trained to expect'.

That little ding/ping when a trophy message pops up is like your little switch to get your cheese for completing a hard section of a maze(game). You know the reward is coming for doing this, that or the other thing, so you don't want it you NEED it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I just find it so humorous that so many people will refuse to play some of the top rated games because they 'omg don't give me my Pavlovian stimuli that I've been trained to expect'.

[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I always find it nutty when some people on here are like "Oh, I'd play [extremely awesome earlier PS3 title] if only it had trophy support" yet they'll waste their time on shitty games for the sake of easy trophies.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Konami realizes that not all people need trophies to play a good/great game. It doesn't make a game unplayable if there's no virtual 'reward' for doing this or that in a game. It lets me focus on completing the game. Then again I'm not the person trophies are geared towards, since I largely don't give a shit about them.

That little ding/ping when a trophy message pops up is like your little switch to get your cheese for completing a hard section of a maze(game). You know the reward is coming for doing this, that or the other thing, so you don't want it you NEED it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how they realized that when they released this game before trophies existed.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I'm not sure how they realized that when they released this game before trophies existed.[/QUOTE]

I think this game was released in a span where Sony required games to be trophy ready for when trophy support was added. GTAIV and Fallout 3 both added trophies later on via patch.

Somehow, Konami got away with it.

[quote name='Vinny']I think this game was released in a span where Sony required games to be trophy ready for when trophy support was added. GTAIV and Fallout 3 both added trophies later on via patch.

Somehow, Konami got away with it.[/QUOTE]

Many other games released during or after this time period in 2008 never got trophy patches (such as Eternal Sonata, Condemned 2, and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.) I've never heard of a trophy requirement from Sony for earlier games that got certified before 2009.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Konami realizes that not all people need trophies to play a good/great game. It doesn't make a game unplayable if there's no virtual 'reward' for doing this or that in a game. It lets me focus on completing the game. Then again I'm not the person trophies are geared towards, since I largely don't give a shit about them.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it's just nice to have the game listed under your profile to show you've played it (and how far you got thru). For some, they may enjoy seeing what games people have in common. Also nice to know who has multiplayer games you do if you want to meet up online. Not always necessarily a trophy thing...

[quote name='Vinny']I think this game was released in a span where Sony required games to be trophy ready for when trophy support was added. GTAIV and Fallout 3 both added trophies later on via patch.

Somehow, Konami got away with it.[/QUOTE]

Sony said in November 2009 that all games submitted for certification beginning in January 2009 had to have trophies, which is why some games released in the first two months of 2009 did not (Shellshock, 50 Cent, Afro Samurai). However, this game was released in June 2008. Trophies didn't exist until the next month, which would have been way after development was done on MGS and before Sony made them mandatory.

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']Sometimes it's just nice to have the game listed under your profile to show you've played it (and how far you got thru). For some, they may enjoy seeing what games people have in common. Also nice to know who has multiplayer games you do if you want to meet up online. Not always necessarily a trophy thing...[/QUOTE]
That's what PM's are for.:razz: Although I know that aside from Little Big Planet and a couple years ago GTA IV the folks I used to play most of my multiplayer with had very few games that I did. They tend to go towards shooters with maybe a few RPG's tossed in there, while I go for sandbox titles and that's about it most times.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']Wait, someone tagged this thread as "lies!!!!!!"? I just posted a link, and someone got that upset. Relax dude (whoever you are).

Note the first sentence of the second paragraph:

"While this isn’t a confirmation, and we have seen some mistakes on game cases in the past, it certainly offers a glimmer of hope for a MGS4 trophy patch."[/QUOTE]

Agreed....some people can't read. :roll:

[quote name='madbst']OP, you should add "Rumor" to the title. It's very, very misleading.[/QUOTE]

Huh....???

The link he has shows "proof" with a picture of what Konami fuck'ed up. So I don't see how this is a rumor, and not more of a screw up on Konami's part in the printing process for the new GH release printing of the game. So I don't see a fault of the OP for posting this, or Playstation Lifestyle for originally posting this news based on the valid evidence they had at hand.

:lol:

mgs4guncopy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='uncle5555']Huh....???

The link he has shows "proof" with a picture of what Konami fuck'ed up. So I don't see how this is a rumor, and not more of a screw up on Konami's part in the printing process for the new GH release printing of the game. So I don't see a fault of the OP for posting this, or Playstation Lifestyle for originally posting this news based on the valid evidence they had at hand.[/QUOTE]
"While this isn’t a confirmation," says it's not proof of anything. If it's not officially confirming anything, then it's a rumor until it's confirmed or denied. If the OP noticed that and still used the definitive title he did, then it's his fault for misleading people.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']"While this isn’t a confirmation," says it's not proof of anything. If it's not officially confirming anything, then it's a rumor until it's confirmed or denied. If the OP noticed that and still used the definitive title he did, then it's his fault for misleading people.[/QUOTE]

Dunno why were arguing semantics Frisky...?

Rumor = Hearsay

Proof = Evidence

Proof...

mgs4trophies.jpg

Based on this evidence I can see why they posted that information on their site.

The only thing OP is guilty of is taking Playstation Lifestyle at their word, and while we're taking things out of context...

"While this isn’t a confirmation, and we have seen some mistakes on game cases in the past, it certainly offers a glimmer of hope for a MGS4 trophy patch."

IS the entirety of the sentence from their site. So they neither confirm or deny it, just putting the information out there for others to see. (Which was denied by a Konami rep, when they responded to another sites request for comment)

So if anything he should add "possibly", "refuted", "Konami screws us again" or some other word(s) to the title of the thread, instead of trying to defend himself from people whining about what news was reported and as to it's validity based on a box shot, that the publisher screwed up on and did not (at press time of that article) respond back to them to clarify any errors.

Again, why are we arguing this...:lol:

Oh yeah...semantics. ;)

[quote name='uncle5555']Dunno why were arguing semantics Frisky...?

Rumor = Hearsay

Proof = Evidence

Proof...

Based on this evidence I can see why they posted that information on their site.

The only thing OP is guilty of is taking Playstation Lifestyle at their word, and while we're taking things out of context...

IS the entirety of the sentence from their site. So they neither confirm or deny it, just putting the information out there for others to see. (Which was denied by a Konami rep, when they responded to another sites request for comment)

So if anything he should add "possibly", "refuted", "Konami screws us again" or some other word(s) to the title of the thread, instead of trying to defend himself from people whining about what news was reported and as to it's validity based on a box shot, that the publisher screwed up on and did not (at press time of that article) respond back to them to clarify any errors.

Again, why are we arguing this...:lol:

Oh yeah...semantics. ;)[/QUOTE]
Rumor = Unconfirmed news
Proof = Absolute Evidence of Existence

Considering that Konami was quick to shoot down the rumor, that isn't proof by a long mile and just one of millions of dead MGS4 rumors.

"Metal Gear Solid 4 gets trophy support" is absolute confirmation and the actual news is far from it. Even the title of the original article (whose link goes to a Game Informer instead for some reason) isn't confirming anything but stating that the box art mentions trophies, nothing more than that.

"Could Konami be planning a stealth trophy update for Solid Snake and crew? We’ve fired off an email to Konami but we’ve yet to hear anything back at this time. We’ll be sure to update you if there is any official confirmation or outright denial."

One of the commenters mentions that all new box art has trophies listed on the back regardless of whether the game even has them and mentions the Saint's Row 2 GH version as proof, which seems to be true according to GS's scan (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/PopBackofbox.aspx?Product_ID=73904).

I'm not arguing anything, just discussing a simple issue between the title of the thread and the OP.

Someone posting a picture of a box insert that lists "Trophies" as a feature is not real proof. It's certainly a very good (and legitimate) clue, but as we see here in this case, printing errors can happen and that's something a levelheaded person ought to consider. Better proof would have been confirmation from a Konami rep, or better yet, actually playing the game and gaining a trophy. Of course, we're not getting either of those things now. :cry:

[quote name='uncle5555']
Huh....???

The link he has shows "proof" with a picture of what Konami fuck'ed up. So I don't see how this is a rumor, and not more of a screw up on Konami's part in the printing process for the new GH release printing of the game. So I don't see a fault of the OP for posting this, or Playstation Lifestyle for originally posting this news based on the valid evidence they had at hand.
[/QUOTE]

The way the title is stated, I thought MGS4 already got a trophy patch or has a trophy patch coming. It's like putting a title that says "New MSRP for new releases is $40" and then putting a link in with the "proof" being a picture of Gamestop's upcoming inventory with the new prices or something like that. Like I said, misleading.

[quote name='whoknows']I can't believe there are people who won't play a game because it doesn't have trophies.[/QUOTE]

Yeah seriously... the game's only 10-12 hours long and if they do add trophy support, you can just skip all the cutscenes and beat the game in ~6 hours if they ever add trophies.

[quote name='madbst']The way the title is stated, I thought MGS4 already got a trophy patch or has a trophy patch coming. It's like putting a title that says "New MSRP for new releases is $40" and then putting a link in with the "proof" being a picture of Gamestop's upcoming inventory with the new prices or something like that. Like I said, misleading.[/QUOTE]

Me too... I got excited for nothing. Oh well, at least it was shot down quickly.

I would be fine if everyone at Konami would just say MGS4 trophies will never come to pass but they keep teasing or denying and I usually don't play single-player games more than once so I'm stuck in limbo.

[quote name='uncle5555']Agreed....some people can't read. :roll:

Huh....???

:lol:

mgs4guncopy.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks

[quote name='Thomas96']i'm not going through those install times again... unless they give you a trophy for being patient.[/QUOTE]
I'll just take a 25 gig install and call it a day.

I wasn't sure if the images that popped up online were photoshopped before, but I just saw a copy of the GH version of the game with "Trophies" listed on the case. I know that there are still no trophies in the game, but does anyone think the misprinted insert would be worth money at some point?

[quote name='Organization_XIII']I wasn't sure if the images that popped up online were photoshopped before, but I just saw a copy of the GH version of the game with "Trophies" listed on the case. I know that there are still no trophies in the game, but does anyone think the misprinted insert would be worth money at some point?[/QUOTE]

Why on earth would it be worth money? There will be many, many copies of the Greatest Hits edition printed and even if it was a limited release why would anyone want it? Am I missing something?

The thread title also gave me false hope.

bread's done
Back