Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

[quote name='darthbudge']If I create a JPN PSN account, could I then download and play MGS1 on my 80GB US PS3?[/quote]

For that money why not just buy the Metal Gear Solid Essential collection?

[quote name='espy605']For that money why not just buy the Metal Gear Solid Essential collection?[/QUOTE]

The only advantage would be being able to play it on your PSP, but it would be in Japanese.

[quote name='zewone']The only advantage would be being able to play it on your PSP, but it would be in Japanese.[/quote]

Well, play it anywhere on your PSP without worry'n about wifi. It'll be on a PS1 disc in the collection so I think you can play it via remote play if it is in the PS3.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Well, play it anywhere on your PSP without worry'n about wifi. It'll be on a PS1 disc in the collection so I think you can play it via remote play if it is in the PS3.[/quote]
It's not that good with all of the lag that remote play has.

[quote name='espy605']For that money why not just buy the Metal Gear Solid Essential collection?[/quote]

Well, I wasn't really thinking about that. I already have 2 and 3. But still That collection is a good deal.

[quote name='darthbudge']If I create a JPN PSN account, could I then download and play MGS1 on my 80GB US PS3?[/QUOTE]

Yes, JPN PSX games (downloaded, not discs :cry:) work on US PS3s irrespective of model. The only variation is in PS2 BC.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4082938&postcount=2587

Rolento posted a video showing how to add credits to your JPN account. MGS will be 600 Yen, or approximately $6 US (though with inflation, who the hell knows, man?).

Alternately, you can order a 3000 Yen PSN card from www.ncsx.com and they'll email you a code almost immediately. There are around 200 PSX games in the JPN store right now, so there's lots to choose from. Spyro the Dragon just showed up - they also have a lot of the SNK fighters available, and more Mahjong than you can shake a stick at.

[quote name='mykevermin']Yes, JPN PSX games (downloaded, not discs :cry:) work on US PS3s irrespective of model. The only variation is in PS2 BC.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4082938&postcount=2587

Rolento posted a video showing how to add credits to your JPN account. MGS will be 600 Yen, or approximately $6 US (though with inflation, who the hell knows, man?).

Alternately, you can order a 3000 Yen PSN card from www.ncsx.com and they'll email you a code almost immediately. There are around 200 PSX games in the JPN store right now, so there's lots to choose from. Spyro the Dragon just showed up - they also have a lot of the SNK fighters available, and more Mahjong than you can shake a stick at.[/quote]

Do alot of those PS1 games have any english options at all?

[quote name='darthbudge']Do alot of those PS1 games have any english options at all?[/quote]

Most Japanese PS1 games have no English option, it depends on the developer. Even so, a lot of action games don't really require Japanese knowledge.

They're supposedly dropping more info on the MGS4 bundle on Friday right? I can't wait. :D I hope they include the the steel color and release it as a LE. I'll be even more hyped for this if they do.

That MGS4 PS3 is breathtaking. I wonder if I can justify it to the fiancee on the grounds that, "It'll let me play all my japanese PS2 games in upscaled glory!" Probably not... Man, I need to start scheming.

EDIT - Wait, nevermind. Isn't it just going to be a 40gb model sans BC? I can stop hyperventilating now.

[quote name='Halo05']That MGS4 PS3 is breathtaking. I wonder if I can justify it to the fiancee on the grounds that, "It'll let me play all my japanese PS2 games in upscaled glory!" Probably not... Man, I need to start scheming.

EDIT - Wait, nevermind. Isn't it just going to be a 40gb model sans BC? I can stop hyperventilating now.[/quote]

No its the 80gb.

[quote name='Halo05']That MGS4 PS3 is breathtaking. I wonder if I can justify it to the fiancee on the grounds that, "It'll let me play all my japanese PS2 games in upscaled glory!" Probably not... Man, I need to start scheming.

EDIT - Wait, nevermind. Isn't it just going to be a 40gb model sans BC? I can stop hyperventilating now.[/QUOTE]

It'll be an 80GB in the US. Dunno about Japan.

Oh man, that MGS4 PS3 is sexier than I had thought.

I really hope we get it.

steel1.jpg

steel2.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']It'll be an 80GB in the US. Dunno about Japan.[/QUOTE]

It's only been confirmed in Japan I thought?

[quote name='mykevermin']Zew: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...le-kratos-psp-and-dualshock3-release-date-by/

$500 80GB PS3 (w/ the same PS2 BC as the current 80GB), DualShock 3, and MGS4 on June 12. No word on if the console will be that handsome, or if it will be boring ol' US black n' chrome.[/QUOTE]

Right, I thought maybe they had confirmed the Steel PS3 and I had missed it.

This boxart doesn't make me feel good about the situation:

mgs4_ps3_bundle_box.jpg

No doubt.

I don't expect all regions to have the same console varieties, to be sure, but it's treated so fuckin' flippantly in the US. The Nintendo handhelds did a good job with it historically, and the PSP looks to be moving in that direction (that God of War PSP looks quite nice).

But the PSX never changed color, only style. And by the time the PS2 changed colors, it was after the PS3 launch (I know there is silver, and I think the Singstar bundle is white).

Sony dipped their toes in the water with the silly-ass "black trim" on the 20GB console, and that's it.

Yuck.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I don't think that steel PS3 looks that good at all o_O It's just boring gray.[/quote]

I agree. As someone that is looking to get into PS3 gaming with this MGS bundle, I REALLY hope it's not that steel color, as I think it looks awful in the screenshot IGN has.

Well colors in the PS line are handled by the regional leaders. And currently I don't think in the US, new colors are really seen as a way to help sells like they seem to do in Japan. So I doubt we'll see anything but the same old black here for a long while.

EDIT - Wait, nevermind. Isn't it just going to be a 40gb model sans BC? I can stop hyperventilating now.[/quote]

Do what I did get your groomsmen to get it for you. Heck, my fiancee gave it her blessing as she knows the power of Hideo Kojima and MGS. :)

Beta starts on the 16th, where the heck are these?!

Konami have started to send out Metal Gear Solid 4 Promo DVDs to those who have pre-ordered Metal Gear Solid 4 already.

I discovered this while looking around eBay for any MGS4 merch for myself and noticed a listing for it going at an amazing £85. I then stumbled across a user on GameTrailer's named Deathseeker who also had been send the disc from their pre-order. No word on what's actually on the disc from the eBay selling or Deathseeker, but ill update as soon as we hear.

mgs4_promo_disc.jpg

I want.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Beta starts on the 16th, where the heck are these?![/QUOTE]

It's the DVD with the Metal Gear Saga stuff on it, similar to what came with MGS3:S.

[quote name='zewone']It's the DVD with the Metal Gear Saga stuff on it, similar to what came with MGS3:S.[/quote]

Which, in the US, should come in a packet that also holds the beta keys...

[quote name='NamPaehc']Which, in the US, should come in a packet that also holds the beta keys...[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, these DVDs also come with the game when you purchase it at GS.com, but you get them when the game ships. Beta keys wouldn't do you any good at that point.

[quote name='mykevermin']Sony dipped their toes in the water with the silly-ass "black trim" on the 20GB console, and that's it.

Yuck.[/quote]What?!
My all black PS3 beauty beats any of the chrome pretenders. :nottalking:

[quote name='zewone']Not necessarily, these DVDs also come with the game when you purchase it at GS.com, but you get them when the game ships. Beta keys wouldn't do you any good at that point.[/quote]

Q: Is there any special process that consumers must go through to verify their participation in the beta?

A: When the pre-order program begins in April 2008, consumers who pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will receive the Metal Gear Saga 2.0 DVD, containing a Prologue that recaps the Metal Gear franchise, a 20th Anniversary retrospective, character bios for Big Boss, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and Solid Snake, plus a collection of international trailers of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. This pre-order package also contains an insert with a download code and special instructions for accessing the Metal Gear Online beta test when it goes live in late April.

That picture is from someone in the UK I believe, so he got it early as it seems they won't be showing up here until April.

[quote name='dallow']What?!
My all black PS3 beauty beats any of the chrome pretenders. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

Word, but I'd still rather have steel or white now.

[quote name='NamPaehc']That picture is from someone in the UK I believe, so he got it early as it seems they won't be showing up here until April.[/QUOTE]

Right, the beta key and the DVD are two separate entities.

I'm not sure what this "preorder package" looks like, but I doubt it's just a loose disc.

[quote name='zewone']Right, the beta key and the DVD are two separate entities.

I'm not sure what this "preorder package" looks like, but I doubt it's just a loose disc.[/quote]

The way I am reading it is that yes, they are two different things that come in the same package. So you'll get some sort of DVD packaging that houses the DVD, and inside also there will be a paper slip with the beta code on it.

Not sure what you're talking about... loose disc? Where'd that come from?

[quote name='NamPaehc']The way I am reading it is that yes, they are two different things that come in the same package. So you'll get some sort of DVD packaging that houses the DVD, and inside also there will be a paper slip with the beta code on it.

Not sure what you're talking about... loose disc? Where'd that come from?[/QUOTE]

From the picture you posted of a loose disc...

[quote name='zewone']From the picture you posted of a loose disc...[/quote]

Okay lol... That is just- someone in the UK got a hold of one early and is selling it on ebay UK. No details on where he got it or what is up with the picture, but I posted only to show what the disc will look like.

If it is the actual pre-order disc or not, I can't tell now. I was going by what the poster said, but when I looked at the actual auction it doesn't make anything any clearer.

Description of item

Not for sale, it was handed to only video game stores for promotion at Japan.
Factory Sealed, Brand New.
This is not video game software.

5a8e_1.JPG

Wasn't the first MG Saga in a tin case or some kind of special packaging? It was mentioned on the KP Report that the second MG Saga will be in similar packaging, if I'm remembering it correctly.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Wasn't the first MG Saga in a tin case or some kind of special packaging? It was mentioned on the KP Report that the second MG Saga will be in similar packaging, if I'm remembering it correctly.[/quote]

Regular, transparent DVD case if I recall.

[quote name='mykevermin']Zew: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...le-kratos-psp-and-dualshock3-release-date-by/

$500 80GB PS3 (w/ the same PS2 BC as the current 80GB), DualShock 3, and MGS4 on June 12. No word on if the console will be that handsome, or if it will be boring ol' US black n' chrome.[/quote]

Someone needs to tell the guys at the two Gamestop's today who both told me that it would have NO BC. :lol:

Well I doubt it was their fault, but I'm happy they were wrong now time to get the essentials and Yakuza :)

[quote name='dallow']I pre-ordered the game last night.
Limited edition is 84.99.

They didn't have the bonus DVD yet.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit!

If this is like MGS3 LE (will be worth a lot as soon as it's out) then I may get it, otherwise almost $100 for a game? No thanks. The extras would have to be amazing.

Well, according to Mojimbo, the limited comes with:

The limited edition will retail for $84.99 and include the following:

A Blu-ray containing
2 making of documentaries, and interview with Kojima
4 chapters of the graphic novel
Metal Gear Import Soundtrack CD

Reserves for the limited edition will also get an exlusive Metal Gear Solid 4 artbook at time of purchase.
Also the DVD+beta you get from GS if you get it from there.

Nice you get a Blu-Ray and not a stinky DVD like the NGSigma limted edition.

[quote name='gfanikf']Someone needs to tell the guys at the two Gamestop's today who both told me that it would have NO BC. :lol:

Well I doubt it was their fault, but I'm happy they were wrong now time to get the essentials and Yakuza :)[/quote]

Well I just got the PS2 anyway lol.

[quote name='dallow']Well, according to Mojimbo, the limited comes with:

Also the DVD+beta you get from GS if you get it from there.

Nice you get a Blu-Ray and not a stinky DVD like the NGSigma limted edition.[/QUOTE]

Is it actually going to be in high definition?

The LE's contents don't seem to be worth the extra money.

I know in Japan, the MGS4 PS3 bundle comes with the LE, it'd be nice if we got the same treatment in America, but I doubt it.

So when are we going to start taking bets about how much of a clusterfuck this is going to turn into?

By my estimation there are two major issues here...

First, the beta keys + DVD are supposed to go out to preorders. I have my doubts about GS actually starting with their earliest preorders and calling people to come in and pick up their beta key + DVD come April. My local GS looked at me like another head was growing from my shoulders when I asked about the beta today. I'm planning on pestering them a couple times a week.

Second, there's the artbook through GS. I'm hoping that each GS receives enough books to cover preorders with instructions not to give them to employees, leave them out on the counter, etc. Again, depending on the employees this could range from simple and painless to MGS Saga vol 1 levels of mayhem.

Here's hoping GS has learned something in the past couple years and no one gets the shaft.

[quote name='Halo05']So when are we going to start taking bets about how much of a clusterfuck this is going to turn into?

By my estimation there are two major issues here...

First, the beta keys + DVD are supposed to go out to preorders. I have my doubts about GS actually starting with their earliest preorders and calling people to come in and pick up their beta key + DVD come April. My local GS looked at me like another head was growing from my shoulders when I asked about the beta today. I'm planning on pestering them a couple times a week.

Second, there's the artbook through GS. I'm hoping that each GS receives enough books to cover preorders with instructions not to give them to employees, leave them out on the counter, etc. Again, depending on the employees this could range from simple and painless to MGS Saga vol 1 levels of mayhem.

Here's hoping GS has learned something in the past couple years and no one gets the shaft.[/quote]

I got a super weird look from the guy too. All I am thinking is "This is one of the biggest launches of the year and you have heard NOTHING about it!!?!?!" I just have a feeling in the bottom of my stomach that I am going to get shafted on the pre-order and have like 1 or 2 days in the beta, if that..

I think I will be waiting tilll it is actually confirmed that the bonuses DVDs are in. I will then call my local GS to confirm. Like, Halo05, pointed out GS seems to likely to just give the discs to those who come in to preorder. That LE is to expensive for me, I tend not to watch the documentary's so unless something else is on it, I won't be picking it up.

Do you only get the beta key + DVD if you get the LE?

bread's done
Back