Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

Has anyone heard if next months MGS4 80gb bundle will be the same previous chipset?

Any chance it will be the 65nm (cooler and quieter) chipset found in the 40gb model?
I'd like some backward compatibility, but find the noise from previous 80gb models distracting during movie watching.

Thanks for any info.

I am curious, have any of the special deals for POs been mention? Talking BB,CC,GC,GS,ect.

I thought about the GS LE, but they're gonna hoard those out like the FXII tins.

[quote name='Dhuk']I am curious, have any of the special deals for POs been mention? Talking BB,CC,GC,GS,ect.

I thought about the GS LE, but they're gonna hoard those out like the FXII tins.[/quote]

::lalalalalalala:: I'm not hearing you, what?

Don't remind me of that, I hope this isn't the case, as I'm more of a MGS fan than FF, I didn't care as much but this time I would hope it's limited, and not just a collector's edition that GS will drop in price three months later.

I took one for the team and skimmed through(literally, I was afraid of spoilers myself) and didn't spot anything that we didn't know. But if you're super hardcore about this, then I'd stay away in case.

That limited edition box art should be the standard cover too. The cover shown all over looks like a picture of grandpa on the top of the bookshelf.

Was looking through GameCrazy's website and found this out. If you pre-order MGS4, not only do you get the Saga 2.0 DVD (which you probably already have) but also an exclusive Bandana. The best part is that its approved by HIDEO KOJIMA!!!!

No pictures though. But if you want to check it out, just go to their homepage and it'll be on the slide. The page # its on will always be different, so you'll have to look through it manually.

Sorry if this has been asked a lot but is there an official release date for the 80GB MGS4 bundle? Just had a few people ask me and wasn't able to find anything online besides Amazon saying it won't ship till June 30th. I was assuming these would be available the same day MGS4 hit stores. Or does the lack of release date imply these bundles will start rolling into stores randomly in mid-to-late June after the game comes out?

[quote name='V878']Sorry if this has been asked a lot but is there an official release date for the 80GB MGS4 bundle? Just had a few people ask me and wasn't able to find anything online besides Amazon saying it won't ship till June 30th. I was assuming these would be available the same day MGS4 hit stores. Or does the lack of release date imply these bundles will start rolling into stores randomly in mid-to-late June after the game comes out?[/QUOTE]

It was kinda worded weird in the announcement but its there in the PlayStation Blog

In case you have not heard, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots hits stores June 12th, 2008 and is rated “M” by the ESRB. This is for all the different configurations of the product, detailed below, which includes: the “Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots” Standard Edition, the “Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots” Limited Edition, the “Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots” PLAYSTATION 3 Hardware Bundle, and the “Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots” Limited Edition PLAYSTATION 3 Hardware Bundle. We’ll get to details on each of these below.

So, 6.12.08. Same day as the game.

Was looking through GameCrazy's website and found this out. If you pre-order MGS4, not only do you get the Saga 2.0 DVD (which you probably already have) but also an exclusive Bandana. The best part is that its approved by HIDEO KOJIMA!!!!

No pictures though. But if you want to check it out, just go to their homepage and it'll be on the slide. The page # its on will always be different, so you'll have to look through it manually.

I really, really hope this is true and this is applicable to Gamestop's preorders.

[quote name='DrunknDragun']It was kinda worded weird in the announcement but its there in the PlayStation Blog

So, 6.12.08. Same day as the game.[/quote]

Thanks. That'll certainly make some of my friends happy.

[quote name='darthbudge']!!!

A Bandana! Do you get that when you pick up the game, or whenever you preorder it?

I might move my GS pre-order over to Gamecrazy.[/quote]
I was thinking it was an in game item for MGO... a real bandanna would be cool though.

Looks like you also get a free game rental as well if you preorder at GameCrazy, according to their website.

I might switch my GS preorder since, well, I tend to like free stuff. Of course, GS may have a midnight release and the free rental might just be a game vault rental.

Has anybody ever had any problems preordering at GC?

[quote name='primetime']Looks like you also get a free game rental as well if you preorder at GameCrazy, according to their website.

I might switch my GS preorder since, well, I tend to like free stuff. Of course, GS may have a midnight release and the free rental might just be a game vault rental.

Has anybody ever had any problems preordering at GC?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing, free rental plus the bandana. Would be sweet if its the one that Snake wears or Infinte Ammo one.

At my Hollywood, I'm able to rent any game even new releases (though the coupon says not to). As for having problems with preordering at GC, I've had one.

What happened with me was that I called to see if I could pick up my pre-ordered Zelda:TP. He looked up my name and the guy said it was ok. I ended up going about 5 hours later since my sister borrowed my car and I had to wait. So now I go down there around closing time and the guy (its a different one) tells me I need to wait for the next shipment (in a week or two) and said that the other employee was wrong for telling me that. Apparently I was like #25 on the list and they only received about 15 or so copies. What pissed me off was when he took out the pre-order list to check, it was rubberband to 8 copies of the game. The list had a couple of names above and below mine crossed out too. If only I had left when I called.

A few months ago I went to a different GC and GameStop and asked how there pre-ordering works and they say its 1st come 1st serve. So I guess it really varies with the employees or the situation. Some don't care and others go by the book. Though you'll probably get top priority if your #1 or paid in full.

Regarding the LE MGS4 Bundle...

So, can anyone confirm a time this will go up? So far we have one claim at 2PM PST, anyone else hear about this?

[quote name='Thongsy']::lalalalalalala:: I'm not hearing you, what?

Don't remind me of that, I hope this isn't the case, as I'm more of a MGS fan than FF, I didn't care as much but this time I would hope it's limited, and not just a collector's edition that GS will drop in price three months later.[/quote]

I e-mailed them, and they gave me the same run around as when I asked about the FXII tin case. So there will probably be many, due to the hype. So i am going to wait it out, I'll be damned if I pay that price and could have saved 40% 3 months later.

If you're in it for your MGS collection, or rarity, then it's best to go with the "gun Metal" PS3 bundle. That should be very rare, but very pricey.

I'm curious about the LE MGS4 pack ($84.99). Is it a tin or ala GTAIV, a box with the regular box and a SE box. I hate tins, refuse to buy them, and the only one I have is Gears of War only because I bought it through eBay, and I didn't know I was getting the tin.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm curious about the LE MGS4 pack ($84.99). Is it a tin or ala GTAIV, a box with the regular box and a SE box. I hate tins, refuse to buy them, and the only one I have is Gears of War only because I bought it through eBay, and I didn't know I was getting the tin.[/quote]

They just have it listed as a "metal box"
Not worth it, either way, IMO

[quote name='darthbudge']Oh an In-Game bandanna? I will stick with my LE MGS4 and exclusive Art Book then.[/QUOTE]

Though there isn't much info. I'm pretty sure its a real life one and not in game. Would seem really odd and bad on Kojima's part to have Snake wearing a bandanna with the GameCrazy logo :shame:

As a fan of MGS, I'm sticking with the L.E. Probably search eBay for that bandanna if its really awesome. Its probably one of the better places to go if your just getting the regular edition though, considering how GS isn't giving anything extra besides the SAGA DVD (L.E however is also getting the Artbook)

[quote name='DrunknDragun']Though there isn't much info. I'm pretty sure its a real life one and not in game. Would seem really odd and bad on Kojima's part to have Snake wearing a bandanna with the GameCrazy logo :shame:

As a fan of MGS, I'm sticking with the L.E. Probably search eBay for that bandanna if its really awesome. Its probably one of the better places to go if your just getting the regular edition though, considering how GS isn't giving anything extra besides the SAGA DVD (L.E however is also getting the Artbook)[/quote]

It has the GC logo on it?
I must have missed that info... All I saw was exclusive bandanna...

[quote name='mguiddy']It has the GC logo on it?
I must have missed that info... All I saw was exclusive bandanna...[/QUOTE]

Well probably, but what I meant was IF it was an in-game bandanna and had the logo.

[quote name='DrunknDragun']Well probably, but what I meant was IF it was an in-game bandanna and had the logo.[/quote]

It's probably a bandanna you can wear in real life, so you can look like a tool while playing the game.

[quote name='espy605']It's probably a bandanna you can wear in real life, so you can look like a tool while playing the game.[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean while walking around town?

:whistle2:k "What should I wear today, the Metal Gear bandanna or Naruto Leaf Village Headband?"

No offense to anyone. But seriously , I'd wear the MGS bandanna if it was REALLY nice looking and not tacky. It would look great with my Asian mullet.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to workout wearing the bandanna, proudly. Or sneak around a little at night.

I was watching a user-edited video of MGS4 and there was a scene with Snake at a gravesite, can someone provide a link to that video?

I haven't had much luck finding it on my own.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I was watching a user-edited video of MGS4 and there was a scene with Snake at a gravesite, can someone provide a link to that video?

I haven't had much luck finding it on my own.[/QUOTE]

Talking about the newer one? Well, heres the Japanese story trailer with English sub. The grave part is at 0:22 and 2:29
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9vbEjsUOHKQ&fmt=18

I don't know if this is old news, but apparantly there will be more Metal Gear (sans Solid) games in the future. Link http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=141313

Considering that Solid Snake wasn't the protagonist in the last 2 (out of the 3) Metal Gear Solid games, ending his story won't really be that drastic a change. My guess is that the next Metal Gear game will have you playing as Liquid, Ocelot, or The Boss as a prequel ala MGS3.

It is old news. They've never said that the series is over with MGS4, just that it's Kojima's exit from the director's chair and the end of Snake's tale.

It's funny that there are actual news articles saying there may be a Metal Gear Solid 5. :lol:

The more I think about it the stupider I think the MGS games are. I mean the main villain in the first game is not only your boss, but also your (surprise) father. And then the big reveal in MGS1 was that you're a clone of Big Boss and your new arch nemesis is your (surprise) twin brother! And then in MGS2 the main villain is (surprise) your other twin brother that nobody knew about until now. And then in MGS4 they're bringing back one of your twin brothers from the dead with Ocelot's arm and nickname. MGS3 had a pretty consistant self-contained narrative, but otherwise the story just seems to get exponentially more silly and cliched. I still like the games from a gameplay perspective, but can someone offer me a counterpoint as to why these games' stories aren't really dumb?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']The more I think about it the stupider I think the MGS games are. I mean the main villain in the first game is not only your boss, but also your (surprise) father. And then the big reveal in MGS1 was that you're a clone of Big Boss and your new arch nemesis is your (surprise) twin brother! And then in MGS2 the main villain is (surprise) your other twin brother that nobody knew about until now. And then in MGS4 they're bringing back one of your twin brothers from the dead with Ocelot's arm and nickname. MGS3 had a pretty consistant self-contained narrative, but otherwise the story just seems to get exponentially more silly and cliched. I still like the games from a gameplay perspective, but can someone offer me a counterpoint as to why these games' stories aren't really dumb?[/quote]

No, logically, the stories are stupid. But it's a game and Snake is a badass and it's fun and the story at least holds together in the Metal Gear universe. Most video games and movies have really stupid storylines, it's the gameplay that keeps me coming back.

The plot is stupid but the storytelling is strong.

Most games have nonexistent stories, and the ones that do are often cliche or complete nonsense (Ninja Gaiden on Xbox for example, don't get me wrong, I love NG) with no effort thrown into storytelling.

While Metal Gear has an admittedly goofy plot, the storytelling is exceptional for the medium. And occasionally, there are real evocative moments despite all the cliches (my favorite being Snake's inability to kill Frank at the end of MGS1, "It's no good, I can't do it!").

And while the plot is often cliche, there is occasionally serious thoughts on serious topics, such as what kind of world we are creating for posterity, whether or not genes or society play the biggest role in shaping us into who we are, how people all with the same genes and upbringing can still carve out unique destinies and motivation, how loyalty and patriotism can be two different things, and how someone can totally gross you out when you find out he hooked up with his step-mom and his dad killed himself because of it.

Most games use these themes as a basis for an entire plot, Metal Gear uses the plot as a basis to explore these themes. Except maybe that last one.

Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

[quote name='espy605']The plot is stupid but the storytelling is strong.

Most games have nonexistent stories, and the ones that do are often cliche or complete nonsense (Ninja Gaiden on Xbox for example, don't get me wrong, I love NG) with no effort thrown into storytelling.

While Metal Gear has an admittedly goofy plot, the storytelling is exceptional for the medium. And occasionally, there are real evocative moments despite all the cliches (my favorite being Snake's inability to kill Frank at the end of MGS1, "It's no good, I can't do it!").

And while the plot is often cliche, there is occasionally serious thoughts on serious topics, such as what kind of world we are creating for posterity, whether or not genes or society play the biggest role in shaping us into who we are, how people all with the same genes and upbringing can still carve out unique destinies and motivation, how loyalty and patriotism can be two different things, and how someone can totally gross you out when you find out he hooked up with his step-mom and his dad killed himself because of it.

Most games use these themes as a basis for an entire plot, Metal Gear uses the plot as a basis to explore these themes. Except maybe that last one.

Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake![/QUOTE]

Well said. My favorite evocative moment; Ocelot's exchange with Naked Snake at the end of MGS3 where they reveal their real names. Powerful stuff. I wish more of the series had that kind of understated drama without the need for such goofy plot twists or over-the-top melodrama.

MGS3 had the greatest story-telling out of everything MGS related IMO.

If Kojima had weeded out the weird stuff, the plot would probably be stronger, but heck, it's all good enough for me. I want a game I can be interested in, and for that to happen, it's gotta have some great play mechanics ;)

[quote name='Inf^Shini']MGS3 had the greatest story-telling out of everything MGS related IMO.[/QUOTE]

I think it beats out any other game in story-telling, not just the MGS series.

I still think MGS was the pinnacle. MGS2 was the greatest in complex depth storytelling (until Killer 7 came along), and MGS3 basically went back to what MGS did in a different setting.

MGS's story is dumb, but maybe the themes contained in those silly stories is what keeps us interested. I don't know about other people, but issues about genetics and nuclear proliferation in MGS1 is what got me hooked. Also, the cinematic gameplay in MGS was just amazing back in 98.

bread's done
Back