Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

[quote name='Chitown021']
Damn, I'm having trouble beating Vamp b/c I suck at the CQC portion of the game. I can't seem to grab him. I just keep performing combos that knock him down. I have hardly used CQC during the game so I suck at it.
[/quote]

You are trying to stick him with the syringe right?

Just shoot him until he falls down, then run behind him and position yourself as he takes him time to get up. Then as soon as he standing, grab him and stick him with the syringe.

[quote name='darthbudge']
You are trying to stick him with the syringe right?

Just shoot him until he falls down, then run behind him and position yourself as he takes him time to get up. Then as soon as he standing, grab him and stick him with the syringe.
[/quote]

Yep. My problem is that instead of grabbing and holding him so I can stick him with the syringe I keep performing CQC combo moves.

[quote name='Chitown021']
Yep. My problem is that instead of grabbing and holding him so I can stick him with the syringe I keep performing CQC combo moves.
[/quote]

I had read about it online, and they said to hit r1 well I did that and it don't work. So I though what if I hold it afterwards which worked. I'm on act 5 now :bouncy:

[quote name='jman619']I had read about it online, and they said to hit r1 well I did that and it don't work. So I though what if I hold it afterwards which worked. I'm on act 5 now :bouncy:[/quote]

Umm, you always have to hold R1 to execute a CQC Hold. Whoever said otherwise was a total moron who never played the game.

[quote name='jman619']Finally beat it today.
Why does snake kill himself?
[/QUOTE]

That's like saying you never beat the game nor listened to the story. Not intended to sound mean or anything.

[/quote]
That's what you get for:

1. Not paying attention to the story. The reason why he has to kill himself is explained like ten times.
2. Not sitting through credits.

[quote name='suko_32']That's like saying you never beat the game nor listened to the story. Not intended to sound mean or anything.[/quote]

Haha yeah I see why now I was watching the last cutsences when I was typing this. I should have paid more attention to the story that is a part of it I missed. Yeah I sit though the credits, and now it is the part after that.

[/quote]

Because you did't stay and watch till the end of the credits. Unless this was a typo play through again and this time wait for it.

[quote name='Rodimus']
Because you did't stay and watch till the end of the credits. Unless this was a typo play through again and this time wait for it.
[/quote]

I typed that as I was watching it. I saw the rest after the credits.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ Gotcha, you must've been excited to share :)[/quote]

Yeah it is a bad habit I have. I tend to mention something way to early instead of waiting. Sad I know. :D

[quote name='darthbudge']Umm, you always have to hold R1 to execute a CQC Hold. Whoever said otherwise was a total moron who never played the game.[/quote]

Man I am stupid. :dunce:The reason I couldn't pull off the CQC hold is because I still had my rifle equipped.

I might be lttp on this one, but really early on...
during the first egg cooking scene before you really start playing, the number song Sunny sings I believe is the MGS2 main theme.

[quote name='KingBroly']I might be lttp on this one, but really early on...
during the first egg cooking scene before you really start playing, the number song Sunny sings I believe is the MGS2 main theme.
[/QUOTE]

it's the atomic numbers on the scientific chart

[quote name='KingBroly']I might be lttp on this one, but really early on...
[/quote]

I was frantically searching for a piece of paper the first time I heard her singing thinking it would be a secret codec number.

So I just attempted to play mgo for the second time... is it just not very good or am I missing something? It seems like the best way to play is to just hide in selected spots with either a sniper rifle or some close range weapon (depending on the spot) and wait for someone stupid to come to you. The controls aren't good enough to run into a fight against someone who is prepared, and you lose points for each death.

Am I missing something that can be fixed with more knowledge or practice, or should I stick to cod4 (which seems to be the same playing style but faster) and warhawk

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
it's the atomic numbers on the scientific chart
[/quote]

Well...
I didn't know that. I'm just saying it sounds similar to the MGS2 theme.

[quote name='happy']
I was frantically searching for a piece of paper the first time I heard her singing thinking it would be a secret codec number.
[/quote]

LOL, I did the same thing. I thought this would be a code that could be entered at some point later in the game.

So, I picked up my copy of MGS4 today. Yippy. And, I'm already doing horrible. Can't even get past Act 1, when you are going to me the Marc II or whatever (The only other MGS game I've owned is MGS3:Snake Eater, and that game wasn't very good, didn't play it much. Haven't touched it in years). I died so much, I quit out, and am now DLing the update for MGO. Since I'm guessing it's now under PSNs system, I'll have to rejoin the CAG clan, correct?

Just finished act 3 and I am so happy with this game. I am not a hardcore mgs fan having barely played 2 and 3 but this one is stellar. Its not only a game but an experience akin to an interactive story. I have to say ACT 3 wasn't nearly as fun as ACT 2 but I have heard that ACT 4 is good.

I am still thinking about picking up a ps2 to play the essentials collection but I am not sure if I can go back to last gen right now

Currently doing a run for the Big Boss emblem...it doesn't seem as impossible as I had thought. It's mostly difficult because you are spotted extremely easily...all the guards have the eyes of a hawk on The Boss difficulty.

i made it through act 1 with no kills /alerts on big boss mode. 1 hr 7 mins. is that a bit slow? ive never done a no kills/alerts on any MGS before.

[quote name='Furashu']i made it through act 1 with no kills /alerts on big boss mode. 1 hr 7 mins. is that a bit slow? ive never done a no kills/alerts on any MGS before.[/QUOTE]

If you're going for the FOXHOUND emblem, it's a little slow. You want about 55-60 minutes per act to make sure you don't go over the time limit.

I had 47 minutes for Act 1...I thought that I was taking way too long for the battle with the Frogs too.

BTW, does the install time between acts count? When I started Act 2, I noticed that I was about 8-10 minutes after beating the previous act, which can't be, unless the game idiotically counts the HD install period as well.

Wouldn't surprise me, since the long ass credits that you can't skip at the end count towards your score too.

[quote name='Khondor']Can someone tell me how to add friends MGO ID's to my friends list?

Thanks[/quote]

There are a number of ways. You can add players you are playing with during a game. You can also check your match history and add people you played earlier. Also, you can use the player search to find people and then add them.

I was having fun taking pictures in-game today and ended up with this:
*Act 4 Spoiler*
shadowmoses_panorama.jpg

Maybe someone who's better with photoshop could touch it up where the seams are. It's a shame that the in-game photos are pretty low-res. Then there's that watermark...

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']I sent a request to join the clan, if you guys would accept it would be awesome.[/quote]

Frisky Tanuki's been MIA for a bit, but we generally accept everyone.

Just beat
Crying Wolf in Act 4
and had a lot of fun. Again great game and I will be sad when its over but I am sure I will replay it with different strategies and objectives in mind.

Mind you, I want to play the Essentials collection as i have never played a substantial part of MGS1-3 but
doing the dream sequence in Act 4
made me realize that I can't go back to last last gen or even last gen.

I'm currently playing again on Solid Normal doing my SUPER EMBLEM RUN trying to get 15 emblems. Nearing 3 hours on Act 1...

I've used 3 continues, used around 10-12 recovery items, done the requirements for Scarab and Frog, am currently working on Tortoise, and gotten 1 Combat High. I've killed a bunch of soldiers too, and gotten around 8 alerts. I'm going to try to get around 400 kills in Act 1 before moving on. Oh, and 32 hours to go.

[quote name='ivanctorres']
Mind you, I want to play the Essentials collection as i have never played a substantial part of MGS1-3 but
doing the dream sequence in Act 4
made me realize that I can't go back to last last gen or even last gen.[/quote]

Actually, MGS4 is the first MGS game I played since the original when it came out on PC years after the PS1 launch. But after beating MGS4 I cracked open the MGS Essentials collection and started 1. Yeah, it looks like garbage, but it's still just as fun. And after an hour of that, I popped in MGS2 and played that to completion. I gotta say, the graphics on both PS2 versions still totally stand up. The gameplay is SO MUCH harder than MGS4, though. If you're caught, you're screwed.

And I just started MGS3, and graphically it's better than MGS2, so it stands up, and the gameplay is much better. (minor MGS4 spoilage)
It's actually JUST like Act 2 of MGS4, actually

So yeah, go grab that essentials collection while it's still available.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm currently playing again on Solid Normal doing my SUPER EMBLEM RUN trying to get 15 emblems. Nearing 3 hours on Act 1...

I've used 3 continues, used around 10-12 recovery items, done the requirements for Scarab and Frog, am currently working on Tortoise, and gotten 1 Combat High. I've killed a bunch of soldiers too, and gotten around 8 alerts. I'm going to try to get around 400 kills in Act 1 before moving on. Oh, and 32 hours to go.
[/quote]
The way it was meant to be played! :p

I feel the limiting of resources is definitely going to hurt me, especially on the recovery item front.

Also
I got that iPod song for giving an item to a soldier. I hope the heart above a soldier's head means they admire me. If it isn't, I don't know how to get a soldier to admire me.

Just beat Liquid Easy with No Continues, No Alerts, No Kills, and No Recovery Items. Just started a Big Boss emblem run and I'm at the FROGS battle at 22 minutes in. Wish me luck!

Oh, I'll do some more panoramas and try to make them look better.

I was thinking...
If I went and gave items to friendly soldiers, then killed myself, my recovery items would respawn. Would me giving the items to the friendlies still count? It could definitely save me some items so I could use them for the Chicken emblem. Oh, and does crouching against a wall count as being against a wall and crouching at the same time? Same question but instead of against a wall, being in a drum can.

[quote name='KingBroly']I feel the limiting of resources is definitely going to hurt me, especially on the recovery item front.

Also
I got that iPod song for giving an item to a soldier. I hope the heart above a soldier's head means they admire me. If it isn't, I don't know how to get a soldier to admire me.
[/quote]

to get them to admire you go for headshots on the enemy. I hear a ton of "nice one!" and "you saved my ass!" comments for those.

I have a thread about this in the Old-School section but I though I'd share with you guys as well. I just beat Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and near the end I found out some pretty odd things. There are spoilers for both MGS4 & MG2 so be careful.

I don't see how Big Boss could've survived what Snake did to him. He pretty much set him on fire and Big Boss burnt to a crisp then exploded. And during the last boss fight one of your codec contacts (Keslar) informs you that after your first encounter with Big Boss he was found with no arms, no legs, missing an ear and an eye. He continues to say because of his missing limbs he's pretty much half robot :shock: This is something that was never mentioned in the Solid games. Plus Big Boss lost his eye in Snake Eater. It just didn't connect smoothly

I highly recommend this game to any fan, simply for a Metal Gear history lesson. The only flaw is the back tracking. So I recommend a faqs to minimize needless wondering.

[quote name='Rodimus']I have a thread about this in the Old-School section but I though I'd share with you guys as well. I just beat Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and near the end I found out some pretty odd things. There are spoilers for both MGS4 & MG2 so be careful.

I don't see how Big Boss could've survived what Snake did to him. He pretty much set him on fire and Big Boss burnt to a crisp then exploded. And during the last boss fight one of your codec contacts (Keslar) informs you that after your first encounter with Big Boss he was found with no arms, no legs, missing an ear and an eye. He continues to say because of his missing limbs he's pretty much half robot :shock: This is something that was never mentioned in the Solid games. Plus Big Boss lost his eye in Snake Eater. It just didn't connect smoothly

I highly recommend this game to any fan, simply for a Metal Gear history lesson. The only flaw is the back tracking. So I recommend a faqs to minimize needless wondering.[/QUOTE]

It's becasue
I think it's Big Boss that says it at the end of 4, but body parts of Liquid and Solidus were used to heal him. It explains why Solidus had no legs when you see him (when Eva shows him to you thinking it's Big Boss)

I'm going for the Blue Bird Emblem here, and I have a question. If I give friendly soldiers items, then die and continue, since I get my items back, does it still count that I gave those friendly soldiers the items or not?

bread's done
Back