Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

[quote name='Foo228']I'm still iffy on purchasing it, no extras on subsistence is why...I've yet to really get into a MGS game though

For anyone who's yet to use GCO, it's offered on this collection for $20 on buy.com with gco here[/quote]

That GCO doesn't work. I just tried it with two different emails. The $10 never shows up.

this deal was good thanks to the GS coupon it rounded under 30 including the pre-order i did and frys deal isnt too shabby

[quote name='RESmonkey']That GCO doesn't work. I just tried it with two different emails. The $10 never shows up.[/quote]

When did you try sign up? Before or during the checkout? I think you need to sign up when offered during the checkout or something? I remember the last time I tried it, I set up the account beforehand and wasn't getting the offer. Then, I went back and signed up when offered, and I got the $10 discount.

[quote name='sevendead']
100_1288.jpg

I almost feal like I waisted my money, almost. Also I don't think this will be too rare. Most Gamestop's tend to order new product on the low end, their business and profits come from used product and the profit margin on new is usually less than $5.[/quote]

No Ac!d games or Digital Graphic Novel? Phail!

I bought it but will most likely keep it sealed. I've got the other games and there's no real reason to open this copy.

I feel a bit cheated. It's great that all three games are in one place, but why no extras?

Now that my Buy.com order has gotten through, I'm thinking of switching the new MGS3 cover art with the old and using those games and case.

[quote name='yukine']No Ac!d games or Digital Graphic Novel? Phail![/quote]

ya thats what i was thinking. so he basically bought the same 3 games over and over and over for no reason but to collect

[quote name='Jedah Doma']I bought it but will most likely keep it sealed. I've got the other games and there's no real reason to open this copy.

I feel a bit cheated. It's great that all three games are in one place, but why no extras?[/QUOTE]

What are the extras?

[quote name='MarkMan']At least you can play MGS1 discs on it :)[/quote]
very true, but i really wanted to play MGS2 also, 3 i dont mind, i played that recently, but i havent played 1 and 2 in forever, damn u 40 gig, damn u

[quote name='b3b0p']What are the extras?[/quote]

Well, some people were hoping for stuff like the second disc of Subsistence, which included Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. At least, we get the Substance version of MGS2, though.

Mine just arrived in the mail a few moments ago (I apparently live real close to one of Amazons shipping centers so even with free shipping I rarely have to wait more then a day or two). Now to run off to the local CD/Game Exchange to pick up a PSOne memory card.

I find this all hilarious considering I went on an online man hunt for all three of these games since I had parted with them the beginning of last fall. Now they are for sale for about half the price i ended up paying for used copies. I still am debating on getting this but if i see it in store I doubt I will be able to pass it up just even to keep since I have all the games opened already.

If you feel cheated, why don't you just return it? Especially if you already own all three games (I'm assuming you've got the substance/subsistence versions)?

I mean I would love it if they'd included the MG3 bonus materials, but as someone who didn't own any of these previously games, $30 for all three seems like a very fair price.

[quote name='Jedah Doma']I bought it but will most likely keep it sealed. I've got the other games and there's no real reason to open this copy.

I feel a bit cheated. It's great that all three games are in one place, but why no extras?[/quote]

[quote name='grumpier']I find this all hilarious considering I went on an online man hunt for all three of these games since I had parted with them the beginning of last fall. Now they are for sale for about half the price i ended up paying for used copies. I still am debating on getting this but if i see it in store I doubt I will be able to pass it up just even to keep since I have all the games opened already.[/QUOTE]

Despite never owning or playing any metal gear games before, this package seems like a good deal, sure it's lacking disc 2 of mgs3, but it has all of the main games and the directors cuts of 2 and 3 (or so I've been led to believe). Too bad it didn't have a converted version of mgs1 though, I found the last PSOne memory card at my local used game store.

And for those of you who have a CD/Game exchange near you, this might be a YMMV but they have a 10% off deal until the end of march.

If you have never played any games in the series and like action/stealth games this is the best $30 bucks you can spend on gaming i would say

I've noticed people breaking these up and selling some of the games individually. Could drive the price of opened copies of Substance down slightly. Might be a good time to add one to the collection, if you are so inclined.

[quote name='dfo']If you feel cheated, why don't you just return it? Especially if you already own all three games (I'm assuming you've got the substance/subsistence versions)?

I mean I would love it if they'd included the MG3 bonus materials, but as someone who didn't own any of these previously games, $30 for all three seems like a very fair price.[/quote]

Well I'm not going to return it. I'm a huge Metal Gear junkie, so I'll keep it as a collectible if nothing else.

My issue is that they really didn't do anything different. In fact they took stuff out of the original Substance and Subsistence. Besides new artwork and a new package, you get the same games. I'm all for having all three games in a package for those who've never played them, but as an MGS vet, it all feels a bit lackluster.

I was hoping that maybe we would get an upgraded version of MGS1 (ala Twin Snakes), but we got the same PS1 discs. I guess I'll just have to wait for MGS2 for my new fix.

[quote name='Jedah Doma']
My issue is that they really didn't do anything different. In fact they took stuff out of the original Substance and Subsistence.
I was hoping that maybe we would get an upgraded version of MGS1 (ala Twin Snakes), but we got the same PS1 discs. I guess I'll just have to wait for MGS2 for my new fix.[/quote]
Wait, I though the entire Substance (MGS2) was included? There's no online in MGS2, so why take anything out?

Yeah, nothing was removed from Substance, as far as I know. No need to. And stuff wasn't exactly taken out of Subsistence...they just didn't include the second disc. Can't blame them. They would have had to rework it to remove the online play. You know people would have complained if it was on there, because they would try to sign up and realize it was closed down.

Yeah, they really didn't put any effort in to it, but for $30, this is still a damn good deal.

[quote name='J7.']Ya sometimes I get a little upset when people act lik MGS was the first game. The original Metal Gear is still the best out of all of them imo.[/quote]

Am I the only one who liked Snake's Revenge? :cry:

Finally shipped yesterday from Amazon. Should be here on monday...now I just gotta wait for Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 which is having confirmation errors right now

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Am I the only one who liked Snake's Revenge? :cry:[/quote]

I think I read once that Kojima actually liked it...even though it isn't part of the canon.

Saw copies at two gamestops I went into today. Glad to see it's widely available - this collection should be in every gamers hands, IMO.

Bought one.

Side Note, Has anyone tried Substance on the 360??? Wanna get it through Goozex but don't want to get it if it doesn't work. I looked on Xbox.com but would rather take the word of someone who has actually attempted playing it.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Bought one.

Side Note, Has anyone tried Substance on the 360??? Wanna get it through Goozex but don't want to get it if it doesn't work. I looked on Xbox.com but would rather take the word of someone who has actually attempted playing it.[/quote]

Considering games that are listed sometimes don't work properly I highly doubt that games that aren't listed work at all, haha.

I haven't tried it though, just giving you crap. ;P

[quote name='Fuzi0n']My order finally got shipped and I sold my sealed copy of MGS3 Subsistence on ebay for $40. I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

but without the mg1and 2 on the second disc I'm sure subsistence will skyrocket in price now.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Side Note, Has anyone tried Substance on the 360??? Wanna get it through Goozex but don't want to get it if it doesn't work. I looked on Xbox.com but would rather take the word of someone who has actually attempted playing it.[/quote]
I've tried Substance on the 360. The 360 will recognize it as "MGS2 Substance" but it doesn't play.

2 questions:

1) Is MGS Essentials' MGS2 the same as MGS2 Substance on PS2?

2) Did anyone's MGS Essentials box get strapped by two 1/2 inch plastic straps? I bought it from Fry's, and they strapped it so tightly that many parts of the box is torn.

And just making sure, Essentials' MGS3 is the Subsistence version (minus disc 2), right?

The lack of wording on the case's spine is confusing me. I haven't opened the box yet, because it is torn in like 10 places because of plastic straps.

My Amazon order arrived Friday, but it appears the original shrinkwrap never covered the entire package. It seems like it covered all but the open end of the outer box where the game cases fit into the box. I didn't see any tears or signs of abuse, more like the shrinkwrap was cut off prematurely. Odd. Oh well.

Same here (also from Amazon). Couldn't care less since I'm not a collector and planned on opening it, but something to keep in mind for those looking to maintain a sealed set.

[quote name='Caliburn']My Amazon order arrived Friday, but it appears the original shrinkwrap never covered the entire package. It seems like it covered all but the open end of the outer box where the game cases fit into the box. I didn't see any tears or signs of abuse, more like the shrinkwrap was cut off prematurely. Odd. Oh well.[/quote]

[quote name='yukine']No Ac!d games or Digital Graphic Novel? Phail![/quote]

Ive had both Ac!d games but Im not a fan, they're also non-canonical - the one reason Ghost Babel for the GBC isn't a priority for me, although I want it.

I've passed on the Digital Graphic Novel so many times. I'm just not a big fan of the books to begin with. I'll get it eventually since my local Fry's has many copies.

And yes I bought the same 3 games multiple times, but I've never payed any where close to full price for any of them except the original MGS (second copy I just got a few weeks ago for $1.99), Subsistence LE, and the Essentials collection. I don't think I've actually payed more than $9 for any of the other MGS games in my collection.

[quote name='trunks982']are the games shrinkwrapped individually or is it just the outside box shrinkwrapped?[/quote]

Just the main outside case is sealed, the games inside are not

bread's done
Back