Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

And as noted above, be warned that the shrinkwrapping may not be complete (mine and someone else's here ordered from Amazon had a "hole" in the shrinkwrap on the front and back of the package, as if they used too little material to actually wrap then entire box).

This may be a rare occurrence but if it's important to you to have the box shrinkwrapped you should probably buy at a B&M so you can see it first.

[quote name='trunks982']are the games shrinkwrapped individually or is it just the outside box shrinkwrapped?[/quote]

hey my meijers had it for 20.00 too. I figured it was marked wrong and was gonna go back today and pick it up for 15.00.

It scanned for 20 though?

[quote name='Burchamj']hey my meijers had it for 20.00 too. I figured it was marked wrong and was gonna go back today and pick it up for 15.00.

It scanned for 20 though?[/quote]

Why would it be $15 today?

It scanned for $20, but there was also a 15% off coupon only good yesterday, so it became $17.

[quote name='slowdive21']Meijer $19.99 regular price (YMMV??). Plus 15% off coupon today only (until 11:59PM) = $16.99 + tax. I bought the 2 they had in stock.[/quote]

I know you said the coupon was only good yesterday, but can I ask where you got said coupon from? Meijer rocks.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']I know you said the coupon was only good yesterday, but can I ask where you got said coupon from? Meijer rocks.[/quote]

They sent it in an email. I think it was sent out last week...I must have deleted it. It had an easter bunny on it and it said "give me my discount right now" on the button. It then linked to a coupon page that was printable.

in michigan they have the scanner law saying that if they charged me 30 but was marked 20 i would get the difrence of the prices plus 5.00 back. making a 30.00 game marked at 20 end up costing 15.00

[quote name='Caliburn']My Amazon order arrived Friday, but it appears the original shrinkwrap never covered the entire package. It seems like it covered all but the open end of the outer box where the game cases fit into the box. I didn't see any tears or signs of abuse, more like the shrinkwrap was cut off prematurely. Odd. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Mine arrived in the same condition. I think the machine that Amazon uses to seal the plastic wrap around an order actually melted the plastic at the open end of the outer box. Definitely not cool, I just ordered the set for collecting, I already own all three games. >_<

eh well. I actually love the cover art on the three games, so maybe it's for the best. If MGS3 included all the goodies from the second disc of the original release, I'd probably give my copies of Substance and Subsistence to a friend or something.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure it's Amazon's screwup why our box sets came unsealed.

Same thing as noted here by other Amazon customers, the shrinkwrap was torn away it seems by the shipping packaging. I received mine a couple days back, but just assumed I was unlucky with sloppy shipping. Apparently not.

This is completely moot to anyone planning on actually playing the games, as the package otherwise was not scratched or anything...but if someone was perhaps buying this as a gift or the like it might be an issue having half the shrinkwrap ripped away.

Exactly what I expected, a cheap piece of crap packaging. You would think Konami would release a better collectors edition since MGS 3 sold better in the US than Japan.

They should have at least bothered to reprint the documents since most people did not get those.

And yeah my package was bumped around too, that's just UPS though.
Amazon could have shipped it in a box instead of bubblewrap though.

oh well, I have 30 days to decide whether to return it or not. I have a feeling it'll probably go back.

[quote name='Furashu']gonna order this online for 10% off, dont care for the wait :D[/quote]
Where & how can you get 10% off?

My Essentials pack arrived from Amazon also, although the plastic wrap from the factory was in perfect shape.

Bit of a shame though, since it came right off! I'm not much of a collector (even though I own the other three games), I wanted to oggle at the new box art of the games. Plus a scratch-free copy of the PS1 version. Awesome! :D

[Edit: You know, I'm actually kind of glad I own the other copies of Substance and Subsistence - there's nothing but white lettering on a black background for all the disks - kind of boring. Boxart is sweet, however.]

I got my copy today too (well yesterday but I haven't slept yet) from Buy.com but the bottom of the box was creased. I'm not sure if it's worth complaining about however. I still don't know if I'll open it up or keep it to trade later though.

Traded in some old stuff at GS for it Saturday and forgot how surprisingly difficult Metal Gear was. Too many FPS's weened me away from the need for quality stealth.

Picked my copy up for $27.99 at Fry's yesterday. I believe that price is good there through today, the 25th, but after that it's gone.

They didn't have any on the shelf, but I asked if they had any more in the back or something, and the guy went over to a locked glass cabinet in the music CD section and they had a huge stack of them left.

Anyone else's have little specks of paper or something on the discs? Mine was sealed and from Amazon so I think Konami is to blame. I also kind of don't want it anymore, I wonder if it would be ethical to get a refund...

Maybe I'll just sell it.

[quote name='Monroeski']Picked my copy up for $27.99 at Fry's yesterday. I believe that price is good there through today, the 25th, but after that it's gone.

They didn't have any on the shelf, but I asked if they had any more in the back or something, and the guy went over to a locked glass cabinet in the music CD section and they had a huge stack of them left.[/quote]
I bought mine from Fry's too.

Was your box strapped w/ two white straps? Mine was, and about 6 parts of the box is torn.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']I bought mine from Fry's too.

Was your box strapped w/ two white straps? Mine was, and about 6 parts of the box is torn.[/quote]
Those freakin' spider wire security devices? I refuse to buy any box sets that got those things on. 99.99% of the time those things actually cause damage to the box.

[quote name='Monroeski']Picked my copy up for $27.99 at Fry's yesterday. I believe that price is good there through today, the 25th, but after that it's gone.

They didn't have any on the shelf, but I asked if they had any more in the back or something, and the guy went over to a locked glass cabinet in the music CD section and they had a huge stack of them left.[/quote]

I went to Fry's in Wilsonville and they had squat. No MGS. No Crisis Core. Asked the video game associate and he said they hadn't gotten any in. He even looked them up in the computer.

I just got mine from amazing... and from the looks of it, it seems like either a cheaply done collection or a resealed one.:whistle2:?

Are the individual games supposed to sealed, like they were for the DMC collection? Because mine aren't... there was just the shrinkwrap on the outside box.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']I bought mine from Fry's too.

Was your box strapped w/ two white straps? Mine was, and about 6 parts of the box is torn.[/quote]
No problems with mine at all.

[quote name='Hostile']I got my copy today too (well yesterday but I haven't slept yet) from Buy.com but the bottom of the box was creased. I'm not sure if it's worth complaining about however. I still don't know if I'll open it up or keep it to trade later though.[/quote]

got mine today
mine was creased too but on the side not the bottom
i even got it from the same place

I originally posted it in the PS2 forum. I think it got moved here after Amazon opened up preorders at $29.99 versus my initially noted price of 34.90 at Play-asia.

Ordered mine from CC because I assumed it won't have damage from being wired up with a security device or being jammed in a wire shelf like I always see. If there is damage or loose discs, I'll just have to take it to the store and exchange it.

I would have went to the store in the first place so I could inspect everything but I didn't know I could print up that coupon and bring it in :(

Dammit, I wish MGS1 was on a PS2 DVD, like the rumor said it would be. It's like every PS1 memory card in town disappeared overnight and now I have to wait on ebay for one.

Is MGS1 better with a controller w/analog sticks? I have an old school PS1 controller without any and was planning on using that.

The analog sticks are non-functional (at least on the PS3, which is where I'm playing it), which is annoying as hell. I guess that's a good reason to use an older controller, so you won't be tempted to reach for the analog sticks!

There's good rumble though, so make sure you use a controller with rumble.

[quote name='Doomed']Is MGS1 better with a controller w/analog sticks? I have an old school PS1 controller without any and was planning on using that.[/quote]

[quote name='dfo']The analog sticks are non-functional (at least on the PS3, which is where I'm playing it), which is annoying as hell. I guess that's a good reason to use an older controller, so you won't be tempted to reach for the analog sticks!

There's good rumble though, so make sure you use a controller with rumble.[/quote]
Didn't know they made PS1 controllers with rumble and w/o sticks. Just gonna roll without rumble since I'm a cheapass.

[quote name='dfo']The analog sticks are non-functional (at least on the PS3, which is where I'm playing it), which is annoying as hell. I guess that's a good reason to use an older controller, so you won't be tempted to reach for the analog sticks!

There's good rumble though, so make sure you use a controller with rumble.[/quote]

You can activate the analog sticks for MGS1 by hitting the home button during the game, going into controller settings, and changing digital to analog.

You can also switch controller ports this way (for a certain boss ;))

You could create another virtual PS1 memory card and virtually put it in the second slot. If I ever get around to playing MGS1 again, I have SotN and Suikoden saves I could put on there.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Too bad that boss won't be able to comment on the lack of game saves on our PS3 systems![/quote]

There's no problem saving PS1 games on a PS3 (you just create a virtual memory card on the hard drive). It's PS2 users that are SOL unless they can track down a PS1 memory card.

edit: erm....nevermind. I think I misunderstood your post.

he commented on my game

i had castlevania on my ps1 virtual memory card on the ps3, and he was able to identify it before the boss battle

Mine arrived from CC with intact shrinkwrap; packaging looks pristine.

EDIT: Was questioning if SUBSTANCE and SUBSISTENCE are really included (because the packaging doesn't indicate that) but shrike4242 helped jog my memory that this has already been confirmed. I guess Konami's marketing people figure that MGS sells itself, so they don't have to bother being explicit about what you are getting.

[quote name='gantt']Mine arrived from CC with intact shrinkwrap; packaging looks pristine.

Can anybody who's opened theirs confirm that it really does have the SUBSTANCE and SUBSISTENCE versions? (Sorry if it's been addressed, haven't the time to read 500 posts).

Reason I ask is because neither the back panel of the box nor the case spines (nor the case fronts, if the photo on the front of the box is accuracte) indicate that these are anything other than garden-variety versions; they just say "Metal Gear Solid 2" and "Metal Gear Solid 3." I looked up the "official" product description here:
http://www.konami.com/Konami/ctl3810/cp20110/si3163071/cl1/metal_gear_solid_the_essential_collection
...it does say it includes the "director's cut" of MGS2 (same as Substance?) but nothing special about MGS3.[/quote]Director's cut of MGS2 should be Substance.

For what's been said by previous posters, it's Subsistence for MGS3, w/o Disc #2.

It has Substance and Subsistence, minus the second disc for Subsistence that had Metal Gear Online and Metal Gear 1/2 MSX versions.

Okay, so which place / site is having the best deal on this game? Because I just got my credit card paid off (I only charged $30 to it for the whole month, I'm so proud of myself) and I'm getting a paycheck tomorrow. The Price Grabber says New Egg wins with $27.99 shipped (I don't have a Meijer anywhere near where I live). Is anyone going to contest that?

get it from buy.com using the 10 dollars off from google checkout. basically just go to buy.com, make an account, and add the item to your cart. then checkout with google checkout. you have to make a new account on google checkout to get the discount. make sure you make the google checkout account through buy.com otherwise it doesn't seem to work.

bread's done
Back