Metal Gear Solid HD Collection PS3/Vita Best Buy Reward Zone $20

walkonshadows

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
If you are a Reward Zone member, go check the "Gamer's Club Offers" section on the reward zone website, they have a $10 off Metal gear Solid HD Collection printable coupon tied to your account (member number) that expires on the 24th. That makes it $20. It can be used on both the PS3 version or the Vita version, however note that the Vita version does not include PeaceWalker). Coupon says in store only and not valid on the website.

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS Vita)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ashtaar']This doesn't come with Metal Gear Solid part 1? smh[/QUOTE]

You can't really make a PS1 game "HD" xD
Still a shame they couldn't include a download voucher for it though. You can buy it though off PSN and play on ur vita/ps3

Yeah I guess but I've only played MGS2 so it would have been nice to play one of the most acclaimed games ever but I've been denied

[quote name='Ashtaar']Yeah I guess but I've only played MGS2 so it would have been nice to play one of the most acclaimed games ever but I've been denied[/QUOTE]

It would be nice if the collection came with a voucher to download MGS from the PSN Store. However, if you missing it really bothers you (it would me), then just bite the bullet and pick it up off the store and play it on your PS3. It is definitely worth it.

Got mine, don't need any coupon after you claim the deal in your rewardzone account. Just scan your card there, but you have to claim it first online. Cheaper is always better, but with this game it's hard to know if this is the start of a glut of even cheaper copies or if it starts to disappear.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']You can't really make a PS1 game "HD" xD
Still a shame they couldn't include a download voucher for it though. You can buy it though off PSN and play on ur vita/ps3[/QUOTE]
Actually, a PS1 game can be made HD, the same way that a PS2 game can be made HD. In fact, there is a Perfect Dark HD remake on XBLA.

[quote name='Vigilante']Hmm...I have the Vita version already, but would it be worth trading in to BBY to "upgrade" to the :ps3: version for Peace Walker?

The thing I love about the Vita version is that I can play it on-the-go, and I have enough to get through in my backlog as it is, so would swapping versions be the way to go?[/QUOTE]

I think you should stay with the Vita bud. You said it yourself, you enjoy playing on the go. It's hard to resist the CAG in you when you want to "maximize" your deal but if you're cutting yourself short on enjoying the games you play then you just lose sight of this site. We all should save as much as we can so we can enjoy as much as we can :). So just finish MGS on the Vita and at some point Peace Walker can be found on some cheap MGS deal for the PS3/Xbox.

Peace Walker is a great game. An all time top 5 PSP game for me. So I still highly recommend to never miss out on this classic.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']You can't really make a PS1 game "HD" xD
Still a shame they couldn't include a download voucher for it though. You can buy it though off PSN and play on ur vita/ps3[/QUOTE]
They pulled it off with Resident Evil on the Gamecube last generation.

[quote name='Ashtaar']Yeah I guess but I've only played MGS2 so it would have been nice to play one of the most acclaimed games ever but I've been denied[/QUOTE]

Get a cheap PS1 copy from eBay. I see you have PSN, so this is assuming you have a PS3 since all of them play PS1 games.

Yeah i didn't need to print the coupon to get the discount the guy just typed in my phone number. He also said you could stack the 10 dollar off offer with a reward zone coupon, since they both weren't coupons. I forgot my rz coupon but i had 2 best buy cards and paid 92 cents outta my pocket.
I loved mgs 2 and especially 3, and can't wait to sit down and play peace walker.:drool:

Finally i get to experience the series from beginning to end, picked this up today and immediately moved it to the top of my gaming backlog, this is going to be the first thing i pop into my new ps3 when i get it during black friday!!!!!!

I found a 360 copy of the MGS collection at Target on clearance for $19.99 but still passed....still don't think it's worth it.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Get a cheap PS1 copy from eBay. I see you have PSN, so this is assuming you have a PS3 since all of them play PS1 games.[/QUOTE]

I thought only the original fat PS3s were backwards compatible?

[quote name='arbryant1']I thought only the original fat PS3s were backwards compatible?[/QUOTE]

They had ps2 BC in addition to ps1. All ps3's play ps1 games.

[quote name='arbryant1']I thought only the original fat PS3s were backwards compatible?[/QUOTE]

All PS3s can play PS1 games, but only the old models can play PS2 games. So buy away. Also.. did nobody mention that the first MGS is on PSN for $10?

Edit: got beat to it!

[quote name='mpaullin']All PS3s can play PS1 games, but only the old models can play PS2 games. So buy away. Also.. did nobody mention that the first MGS is on PSN for $10?

Edit: got beat to it![/QUOTE]

Awesome. I already own the original MGS on PS1, and I also bought Twin Snakes on Gamecube several years ago. My plan is to play MG and MG: Solid Snake and then replay MGS.

I was gonna hook up the Gamecube and play Twin Snakes, but I might just revisit my old PS1 copy! It's been so long since I originally played MGS on PS1 that I wasn't offended by Twin Snakes like a lot of people seem to be.

Man, I'm glad to have this knowledge. Gonna bust out my original Silent Hill PS1 disc as well!

i was gonna ask fellow CAGs about whether i should play mgs1 PS1 or should i aquire a copy of the twin snakes version for the Gamecube

Does anyone who has played both recommend one over the other???

[quote name='Mcast']i was gonna ask fellow CAGs about whether i should play mgs1 PS1 or should i aquire a copy of the twin snakes version for the Gamecube

Does anyone who has played both recommend one over the other???[/QUOTE]

I'd like to hear some opinions as well. I remember Twin Snakes having upgraded graphics, but they also replaced some of the voice acting. They also added some ridiculous cut scenes as well (Snake kicking a missile and changing its trajectory comes to mind).

[quote name='Mcast']i was gonna ask fellow CAGs about whether i should play mgs1 PS1 or should i aquire a copy of the twin snakes version for the Gamecube

Does anyone who has played both recommend one over the other???[/QUOTE]

The PS1 version is the way to go. The cutscenes in Twin Snakes are "Matrix style" crap that don't fit in at all with the game's style. The voice acting doesn't have the same quality. The game is substantially easier with MGS2 mechanics just kind of thrown in. It doesn't have VR missions.

The PS1 version is pretty ugly, but other than that, the gameplay that will hold up forever. There's a cool gritty quality to the whole thing that made it a lot of fun (versus the way too polished look of TS.)

It's hard to explain exactly why the original is better, because it probably seems like TS is better on paper.

Plus, PS1 version is $10 on PSN vs. $32, lowest price for MGSTS on amazon as of my post.

Edit: Here's a good rundown:
http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=160

the differences aren't so big that you're missing out heavily by playing Twin Snakes. I just think the original has the edge overall and it's cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. The PS1 version is superior. It's fun to play Twin Snakes once in a while, but using the MGS2 style controls fundamentally changed the way the game played, and not for the better.

The thing that bugs me the most in Twin Snakes is the voice acting. They use the same voice actors for almost all of the parts, but the actual acting is flat and monotone with no accents. It just doesn't have the same personality as the original game.

[quote name='GohanX']Agreed. The PS1 version is superior. It's fun to play Twin Snakes once in a while, but using the MGS2 style controls fundamentally changed the way the game played, and not for the better.

The thing that bugs me the most in Twin Snakes is the voice acting. They use the same voice actors for almost all of the parts, but the actual acting is flat and monotone with no accents. It just doesn't have the same personality as the original game.[/QUOTE]

yep. you can tell they're all really into it in the PS1 version. There's this cool urgency in every character's voice.

Anything special about the Vita version that would necessitate a re-buy if I already have it on PS3? (I know the Vita version doesn't include Peace Walker)

[quote name='tylerh1701']Anything special about the Vita version that would necessitate a re-buy if I already have it on PS3? (I know the Vita version doesn't include Peace Walker)[/QUOTE]

To play it on the go, which I LOVE!
It's also pretty cool to take screenshots. But other than that there really is not anything new added to it xD
If you are a huge MGS fan like myself though, it's worth owning just so you can play it anywhere

you can also share save data between the two versions. but there doesn't seem to be anything extra to make the vita version unique.

[quote name='zodiac308']Stupid question, but do I have to activate something on the website? Or just walk in and show RZ card?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you have to activate, or claim it on the website. You can also use the iPhone Best Buy app to do it as well, which is what I did. It didn't exactly go off without a hitch, but we got it done.

[quote name='Kazuya']Yeah, you have to activate, or claim it on the website. You can also use the iPhone Best Buy app to do it as well, which is what I did. It didn't exactly go off without a hitch, but we got it done.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Thanks! Go to know I still have time for this.

They coupon wouldn't ring up, even though I activated it online. The manager had to manually change the price to $19.99... was kind of a pain, but got it. Thanks!

[quote name='arbryant1']Awesome. I already own the original MGS on PS1, and I also bought Twin Snakes on Gamecube several years ago. My plan is to play MG and MG: Solid Snake and then replay MGS.

I was gonna hook up the Gamecube and play Twin Snakes, but I might just revisit my old PS1 copy! It's been so long since I originally played MGS on PS1 that I wasn't offended by Twin Snakes like a lot of people seem to be.

Man, I'm glad to have this knowledge. Gonna bust out my original Silent Hill PS1 disc as well![/QUOTE]

I felt the need to log in and let you know that the disk version of Silent Hill has an annoying glitch when played on PS3. Every time you use firearm weapons (and maybe others) in outside environments a loud buzzing sound occurs. This doesn't happen with the PSN version.

But definitely play that MGS PS1 copy, it works without issue

has anyone tried using this coupon more than once? I bought a copy for a gift and want to get a copy for myself. Any help would be appreciated!

I picked up the Vita version today. I already have the PS3 version. I had some trade credit so I figured I'd pick it up. I am excited to try the cloud save feature and play some on my Vita, and pick up where I left off on the PS3.

[quote name='trdmatrix88']has anyone tried using this coupon more than once? I bought a copy for a gift and want to get a copy for myself. Any help would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

it is tied directly to your Reward Zone account, and is specifically labeled as "1 per account".

I (unfortunately) have a still-sealed MGS trilogy set for PS2 which means that since I already paid for these games once, I can't pay more than $10 for the new edition. It'll hit that eventually...

[quote name='gamerdogbert']I (unfortunately) have a still-sealed MGS trilogy set for PS2 which means that since I already paid for these games once, I can't pay more than $10 for the new edition. It'll hit that eventually...[/QUOTE]

Your essentials collection has MGS1, IIRC the HD edition replaces MSG1 with Peacewalker.

Anyone think Vita is the better buy over PS3 since it is on the go? Can't seem to decide if Peace Walker is worth getting it on PS3 over Vita. Figured this deserved a bump due to all the new Vita owners for tomorrow's Amazon Gold Box.

[quote name='Kendro']Anyone think Vita is the better buy over PS3 since it is on the go? Can't seem to decide if Peace Walker is worth getting it on PS3 over Vita. Figured this deserved a bump due to all the new Vita owners for tomorrow's Amazon Gold Box.[/QUOTE]

PS3 def better buy, wouldn't pay more then $15 for Vita since it doesnt have PW

I just got the PS3 version. I wasn't going to go at BB because the website say there were no copies left, just that ship to store option so I can pick it up but my dad wanted to picked up something for him. I went 1st to check and it was the last copy. It was in a sealed plastic case. Glad my dad sent me, otherwise I wouldn't have had it.

bread's done
Back