Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D $17.99 at Best Buy

I love MGS games. I could not get through these on the 3DS. I haven't tried with the Circle Pad Pro and I would assume that helps but I was not impressed.

Kinda disappointing to hear how it turned out, considering it was one of the more hyped 3DS games prior to launch (MGS3 in 3D just sounded awesome). Looks like the HD Collection on the Vita and Consoles is the way to go if I ever get the itch to replay MGS3.

It has a 78 on metastatic and a 7.6 on user score. I doubt its as bad as everyone is making it sound. I do remember it getting pretty strong reviews when it came out.

Considering there is a demo of this game, those interested should just try it for themselves. I played the original and the HD collections on Xbox and Vita. Tried this demo and did have lag/frame rate issues. If this is your only means if playing the game, then it is good enough. Though this is the worst running version of the game. (PS2 included)

[quote name='V878']Kinda disappointing to hear how it turned out, considering it was one of the more hyped 3DS games prior to launch (MGS3 in 3D just sounded awesome). Looks like the HD Collection on the Vita and Consoles is the way to go if I ever get the itch to replay MGS3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they did make a big deal about it, so really no excuse for an unoptimized port with framerate issues.

I would recommend the console version over this and the Vita version.

The game was meant to be played in the comfort of your home on a full fledged TV and with a traditional controller.

Even playing around with the Vita version, after a hour I couldn't bear playing it on such a small screen and the awkward controls.

[quote name='topplehat']Awful port, as others have said.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The hack at IGN who gave it a high score probably reviewed it without playing the game.

[quote name='bshirk']Agreed. The hack at IGN who gave it a high score probably reviewed it without playing the game.[/QUOTE]

Okay, but now we've got to explain what all those other hacks at all those other outlets did when reviewing the game.

on topic: I might jump on this, been waiting for it to get a price drop for a year now.

[quote name='bonesawisready']Okay, but now we've got to explain what all those other hacks at all those other outlets did when reviewing the game.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they read the IGN article and wrote their reviews based on that alone. But seriously, who knows? I'd have little incentive to wake up in the morning if my job required me to play eight hours of video games a day. Don't know how they put up with it.

[quote name='DRKnight']appears to be dead showing up at 29.99[/QUOTE]

You mean:

Snake?......Snake??..........S-N-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-K-E !!!!!!!

[quote name='UnlockPotential']Heavy lag on a cartridge? Wtf is going on in the world?![/QUOTE]
Lag occurs because of the amount /quality of things being processed on screen. Not due to load times. Even NES games had slow down.

Lol..typical best buy, it's "not available for shipping". THe moment the sale goes down, it also becomes available to ship once again.

[quote name='chair_home']Lag occurs because of the amount /quality of things being processed on screen. Not due to load times. Even NES games had slow down.[/QUOTE]

I'll be the first to admit that its cool to have Ps2 quality games on current gen handhelds, but honestly lag should not be occurring on current handheld cartridge based systems. I know that concessions were made to put the game on the 3DS, but games like Kid Icarus, Resident Evil revelations, and Star Fox have just as much amount/quality being processed and they don't lag. I love the MGS series and played it when it came out on the 3DS, but honestly compared to the Vita version its just plain sad.

I own the Vita and 3DS, and I never played this game, so 20 or less was always my sweet spot for getting this, and which ever system got there first, was going to win. I bought the Vita game a few months ago for 20, so this one is a little late to the party, but I think I would have enjoyed it. The crouch walk and 3D would have been cool to experience, but I'm happy with my Vita Metal Gear set, as I'm sure it was the better value overall.

just keep your eye out for clearance. i actually found one on clearance at a target near me 6 months ago. 11 bucks.

I own this game but I think I probably paid 30 bucks, never opened it, played demo and the controls felt terrible. May be one I get rid of.

[quote name='Deader2818']It has a 78 on metastatic and a 7.6 on user score. I doubt its as bad as everyone is making it sound. I do remember it getting pretty strong reviews when it came out.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, it's not that the game is bad, it's just that it's essentially the worst version of the game and there's not much reason to play it if you can on other platforms (even the PS2 version would probably be a better choice).

Like others have said, if you want a handheld version of the game and have a Vita, it's an infinitely better option, especially if you don't have the circle pad pro on the 3DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW6cmkuoT_E

What's really unfortunate is that the 3DS version actually had some specific improvements made to it, like more detailed character models and textures and more lighting effects such as bloom and normal mapping as well as adding a few gameplay features like crouch walking and third person aiming, but the framerate was just awful on it.

A great price for a great game. I didn't own a PS2 so this was my first experience with the game and I loved it from beginning to end.

Definitely worth it at $40, much less $18.

I have this game on Vita and 3DS. 3DS version isn't bad at all. Not nearly as bad as everyone is saying. I didn't experience any lag in the few hours I played. Only issues are control. Played perfect with circle pad pro, but i sold my 3DS for 3DS xl.

[quote name='maximumzero']A great price for a great game. I didn't own a PS2 so this was my first experience with the game and I loved it from beginning to end.

Definitely worth it at $40, much less $18.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry you experienced the worst version of the best PS2 game.

People are really overreacting in this thread. Game is NOT bad and yes there is some lag when using 3D, but if you turn off the 3D it is perfectly fine. Graphical improvements are specific to this version over the Vita version which is just a port of the HD remake from the console.

I played this with the circle pad pro with 3D off and it was very good. A lot of caveats, I know, but you can't really go wrong at this price.

The best buy in Torrance, CA has the HD collection marked at the 17.99 price. Just picked it up for the PS3. It's not a ticket error, so the system will ring the game up at that price.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Perhaps they read the IGN article and wrote their reviews based on that alone. But seriously, who knows? I'd have little incentive to wake up in the morning if my job required me to play eight hours of video games a day. Don't know how they put up with it.[/QUOTE]

Honestly? Payoffs. Everybody likes to pretend it doesn't happen, but it does quite a bit. If a company pays to advertise their game on any of the big sites, they almost always get a favorable review. If they don't pay to advertise it, the reviewer is encouraged to not pull any punches. There is the rare game like Aliens CM that is so bad that anyone will see through a good review a mile away, but even then they can butter it up and make it look better than it is.

I'd kill for a job that let me play games all day. The only problem is that they don't make any money. I remember hearing one of the bigshots on the IGN Nintendo Podcast awhile back bragging to the others about how he made $30,000 a year :applause:. I shudder to think what everyone else makes.

[quote name='Draknight']I'll be the first to admit that its cool to have Ps2 quality games on current gen handhelds, but honestly lag should not be occurring on current handheld cartridge based systems. I know that concessions were made to put the game on the 3DS, but games like Kid Icarus, Resident Evil revelations, and Star Fox have just as much amount/quality being processed and they don't lag. I love the MGS series and played it when it came out on the 3DS, but honestly compared to the Vita version its just plain sad.[/QUOTE]

Actually Resident Evil Revelations lags in the elevators but doesn't take away from the game at all.

bread's done
Back