Metal Gear Solid - The Essential Collection (PS2) $19.99 at Amazon

With MGS3 disc 2 you're losing the Metal Gear 1 & 2 MSX ports, Secret Theater and Metal Gear Online. Metal Gear Online is no longer playable since Konami shut down all the servers. You can probably view all the Secret Theater videos on Youtube. The only thing you're really missing out on are the MSX ports.

This is a great deal, worthy of dusting off the ole PS2.
cagus.smile.jpg
I agree with Fire_Thief wholly, this is one to jump on. :D

[quote name='UjnHunter']That's why the 60gb PS3 is the only way to go...[/QUOTE]

I'm on the same page as you. WOOT! :applause:

This is why I bought a 60GB PS3 two years ago when they were discontinuing it and the writing was on the way that Sony was going to give gamers the Unlubed Fist® again like they did with the Sixaxis rumble-free (cuz "rumble is last gen") controller. I prefer Xbox because it's simply a superior system top to bottom - it's habit of RRoDing notwithstanding - but I needed a Blu-ray player, too, and jumped on a Meijer CC deal that scored me mine for $360.

I picked up MGS4 when Meijer had it for $45 (IIRC) and since I'd only played a little of MGS2 on Xbox and hated it (after Spinter Cell with its free-moving camera, the fixed, enemies just offscreen, camera is a bad joke), I picked up this set so I could start from the beginning and be able to soak up the whole story. Boy, the PS1 graphics are eye-bleedingly awful to today's sensibilities! I'm up to the part where you're in the ice caves and the wolves are around. I'm still on the first disc. Yes, I suck and have no time to play.

BTW, how long are these games? 10, 20, 50 hours each? MGS4 has already dropped to lower than I paid for it in the time I haven't played the first 3; will MGS5 be out before I get thru the first 4? ;)

[quote name='DirkBelig']This is why I bought a 60GB PS3 two years ago when they were discontinuing it and the writing was on the way that Sony was going to give gamers the Unlubed Fist® again like they did with the Sixaxis rumble-free (cuz "rumble is last gen") controller. I prefer Xbox because it's simply a superior system top to bottom - it's habit of RRoDing notwithstanding - but I needed a Blu-ray player, too, and jumped on a Meijer CC deal that scored me mine for $360.

I picked up MGS4 when Meijer had it for $45 (IIRC) and since I'd only played a little of MGS2 on Xbox and hated it (after Spinter Cell with its free-moving camera, the fixed, enemies just offscreen, camera is a bad joke), I picked up this set so I could start from the beginning and be able to soak up the whole story. Boy, the PS1 graphics are eye-bleedingly awful to today's sensibilities! I'm up to the part where you're in the ice caves and the wolves are around. I'm still on the first disc. Yes, I suck and have no time to play.

BTW, how long are these games? 10, 20, 50 hours each? MGS4 has already dropped to lower than I paid for it in the time I haven't played the first 3; will MGS5 be out before I get thru the first 4? ;)[/QUOTE]

really depends on how you play. I found the first 3 games to be in the vicinity of 12 hours each on the first play through. MGS 1 was a little longer for me, and 2 was a little shorter. Also... honestly, if you really want to play MGS4 you can just watch the 2 Metal Gear Sagas which are basically all the cutscenes from the first 3 games with some additional stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love these games, and you should play them, ESPECIALLY MGS3, but if you really want to get to MGS4, you can get the story pretty well with those dvds (which are readily available on youtube)

Good find as I had a $10 off promotional code from when I bought my second BC MGS4 80GB PS3 from Amazon last month. I got the promotional code by calling them and letting them know that the advertised Pain(download game) voucher had expired. So $9.99 with 2 day shipping(doing the free prime trial) isn't bad at all for these games even with some missing features. Again thanks for thread originator for pointing this out.

[quote name='DirkBelig']
BTW, how long are these games? 10, 20, 50 hours each? MGS4 has already dropped to lower than I paid for it in the time I haven't played the first 3; will MGS5 be out before I get thru the first 4? ;)[/QUOTE]
Definately play all three of them. First off, Kojima will definitely release a better version of MGS4 sometime.

MGS
MGS: Integral
MGS2
MGS2: Substance
MGS3
MGS3: Subsistence
MGS4

Which is why Wombat proposed that MGS4: Subsandwich is going to happen.

Second, most people would probably say that 4 is the weakest of the series: after the first part, it becomes an action game, not a stealth game. I haven't played it yet, so I don't know if it's true, but it seems pretty universal.

Third, if you don't play them in order, and want to go back to MGS1, you'll be like "WTF is with the shitty graphics?"

Fourth, the story won't have much of an impact if you don't play the games. It'd be like the difference between knowing the Titanic sinks and watching the movie with a bunch of stuff leading into and following its sinking. One will trigger more of an emotional response.

I haven't beaten Metal Gear Solid 3 yet, but MGS2 is my favorite game ever, and MGS1 is my second favorite. So they're pretty good games that stand the test of time. (I played MGS1 for the first time in April 2008, and MGS2 for the first time in January of this year)

As for the play times, I played MGS1 on very easy :lol: and according to the game it was 12-20 hours. (don't remember) I kind of doubt that figure, I think that includes pauses to go look on GameFAQs. I played MGS1 from a Friday afternoon until Sunday at 5 PM. Besides sleep, eating, and some Internet time, that's all I did that weekend. Once I finished that, I started working on a huge project that was due the next day. #-o

MGS 2 I played on normal and it says I took 16 hours. Once again, that probably includes the time it takes for me to pause and look at GameFAQs.

Playing MGS3 right now, and its awesome, but I just started.

Sprung for the MGS set and Katamari Damacy as a filler. Defiantly a great price on awesome games. Still kinda disappointed that MGS3 doesn't include the bonus disc with the MSX versions - maybe I'll pick it up with the GS B2G1 sale...

[quote name='Doomed']Second, most people would probably say that 4 is the weakest of the series: after the first part, it becomes an action game, not a stealth game. I haven't played it yet, so I don't know if it's true, but it seems pretty universal.[/QUOTE]

Hell no. 4 was better than both 2 and 3 (I hated what I played of 3; hopefully this new camera will make me appreciate it more), and if it wasn't Movie Gear Solid 4, it would've been right up there with #1.

[quote name='Doomed']Second, most people would probably say that 4 is the weakest of the series[/QUOTE]

Not true in the slightest.

Snake Eater was my personal favorite, it was just so damn atmospheric. =)

Haven't played the 4th but I'm hoping when I do finally pick up a PS3 it'll live up to the hype.

[quote name='lolwut?']Hell no. 4 was better than both 2 and 3 (I hated what I played of 3; hopefully this new camera will make me appreciate it more), and if it wasn't Movie Gear Solid 4, it would've been right up there with #1.[/QUOTE]

god, play 3 subsistence. game is so amazing. I almost didn't try it cause i couldn't get anywhere in snake eater cause of the camera, but it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Never played "snake eater" so I bit on this despite owning that version. Would have liked to have the MSX games also but it's pretty tough to complain with this sweet package.

Bit on this one. I actually don't own any of these, so it's pretty awesome for me. I just remember playing these at friend's houses, and that they were good. Although I already beat MGS 4, but playing these should make it easier to understand what's going on in 4.

Got mine the other day. Think I may try and beat 1-4 before the end of the summer while new releases are stagnant, otherwise I probably won't get around to it until early next year. I sure am glad though that I own a copy of Twin Snakes for gamecube as the original PS1 release hasn't seemed to have aged well. I checked it out upscaled on my PS3, talk about brutal on the eyes. I forgot how jagged and blurry PS1 games looked.

[quote name='mang9432']god, play 3 subsistence. game is so amazing. I almost didn't try it cause i couldn't get anywhere in snake eater cause of the camera, but it's one of my favorite games of all time.[/QUOTE]

If you say so. I remember 3 sucking because you had to be stealthy, not because it had a bad camera. I didn't want to play dress up with Snake so that my outfit matched the grass.

I did get in on this deal though thankfully.

[quote name='lolwut?']If you say so. I remember 3 sucking because you had to be stealthy, not because it had a bad camera. I didn't want to play dress up with Snake so that my outfit matched the grass.

I did get in on this deal though thankfully.[/QUOTE]
Wait did you just say a Metal Gear sucked because you had to be stealthy?

Seriously...?? That's like saying Street Fighter sucks because of all the fighting.

I think he was referring to the less-forgiving nature of the stealth gameplay in Snake Eater. In MGS and MGS2, there was certainly a lot more room for error. If you were seen, you could usually find a locker or something to hide behind. If you had to get into a shoot-out, the enemies would usually funnel themselves right into a hallway or doorway, so you could mow them down. Plus, there was the radar.

I love all the MGS games. Just pointing out that I can see where he was going with his point.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I think he was referring to the less-forgiving nature of the stealth gameplay in Snake Eater. In MGS and MGS2, there was certainly a lot more room for error. If you were seen, you could usually find a locker or something to hide behind. If you had to get into a shoot-out, the enemies would usually funnel themselves right into a hallway or doorway, so you could mow them down. Plus, there was the radar.[/QUOTE]

Basically this. Yeah, it's great to sneak around, knocking on walls and crawling in vents to avoid detection, but in 1 and 2, if you want to just kill the patrolmen and advance, you could.

From what I remember of 3, you had to slowly creep your way through the grass, maybe wait for the guard to make an ominous stare out into the opening ahead and then knife him. I don't remember any guns besides the pistol, but then again, I didn't get very far because it rubbed me the wrong way. If I wanted to sneak around in the shadows and pick off guys with my peashooter, I would've played Splinter Cell.

Now 4, 4 was badass. Stealth was there, but if you wanted, you could just fucking run in guns blazing and rape the opposing force. No one would even notice, they were fighting a war in the streets. Now that shit was refreshing.

Like I said, I'll give it another chance, but I don't remember liking it at all.

OH HELL YEAH!! I completely forgot about this set! I already have some of the games anyway on different consoles, but you can't go wrong with a repackaged trilogy for $20! My one friend never played any MGS games so I've been trying to talk him into playing with me, so this is perfect! Great item for us collectors out there!

I got this set last year during Black Friday because it was 15 dollars. I have to say, even at full price I would jump on this set. Sadly it doesn't have The second disc to MGS3 but I'll live without it (unless I can find a cheap disc only copy of it) For MGS3, try to beat all the bosses with stamina depletion. You'll get some awesome gear that'll help out on your second playthrough and later on the first time around. I marathoned through the whole set over a weekend and came out of my room a man. I really need to play MGS4 now...

Also, spirit camo is the absolute best hands down. Regain stamina by choking guards, and you don't make noise when you walk anymore.

From a guy who values story and presentation more than the raw gameplay - 3 is the best, but 1 is great also. 4 has its moments, but overall it sucks. And 2 is terrible.

[quote name='lolwut?']
From what I remember of 3, you had to slowly creep your way through the grass, maybe wait for the guard to make an ominous stare out into the opening ahead and then knife him. I don't remember any guns besides the pistol, but then again, I didn't get very far because it rubbed me the wrong way. If I wanted to sneak around in the shadows and pick off guys with my peashooter, I would've played Splinter Cell.
[/QUOTE]

Just play it on very easy and use the EZ gun, it keeps your camo index at 80%. That creeping in the grass can get kind of tedious. And do finish it. I love the whole game, but some people have said that the first half is kind of slow. I disagree but understand their point of view.

Seriously, the last 3 hours of MGS3 alone are worth more than $20 IMO.

I have trouble deciding between 4 or 3 as my favorite. 3's ending was the most emotionally touching game I'd played.

Until Valkyria Chronicles anyway...

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']Just play it on very easy and use the EZ gun, it keeps your camo index at 80%. That creeping in the grass can get kind of tedious. And do finish it. I love the whole game, but some people have said that the first half is kind of slow. I disagree but understand their point of view.

Seriously, the last 3 hours of MGS3 alone are worth more than $20 IMO.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Even if the gameplay isn't your thing, Snake Eater's story is definitely worth the price of admission.

I was going to get in on this deal and literally right as I added the game to my cart the price reverted back to $29.99. :(

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']From a guy who values story and presentation more than the raw gameplay - 3 is the best, but 1 is great also. 4 has its moments, but overall it sucks. And 2 is terrible.[/QUOTE]

Haha, story? I'm sorry, but IMO the MGS story sucks balls. And if you liked story, I would've thought you would like 4 the most; it forces you to watch 10 hours of story while playing through the game.

Dr. I might try that, although I don't know if I can bring myself to select very easy mode, lol

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Yeah, the MGS story is garbage.[/QUOTE]

Garbage? No. There are a lot worse game stories out there. A little confusing at times? Yes.

[quote name='addicted2games']Garbage? No. There are a lot worse game stories out there. A little confusing at times? Yes.[/QUOTE]

At times? I'd say it's confusing all the way up until the end of 4, and then it's still confusing.

Granted, I wouldn't say it's "garbage" like Fire_thief, but it's still really out there, and takes a lot of thought to really put it together.

Doesn't make the games any less enjoyable though

[quote name='lolwut?']If you say so. I remember 3 sucking because you had to be stealthy, not because it had a bad camera. I didn't want to play dress up with Snake so that my outfit matched the grass.

I did get in on this deal though thankfully.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lolwut?']At times? I'd say it's confusing all the way up until the end of 4, and then it's still confusing.

Granted, I wouldn't say it's "garbage" like Fire_thief, but it's still really out there, and takes a lot of thought to really put it together.

Doesn't make the games any less enjoyable though[/QUOTE]
Soo... Thus far your gripes against Metal Gear are that 3 made you play stealthy and the story took too much thought...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why exactly are you playing Metal Gear in the first place?

Snake Eater is by far my favorite of the series. I get really obsessive about being undetected to the point that if I'm discovered I'll let myself die so I can try again.

hey whatsup, i beat snake eater and loved it, i tried to play mgs1 later, but i just couldnt becuase the graphics where so outdated, is mgs2 up to the same graphics of 3?

[quote name='wwe101']hey whatsup, i beat snake eater and loved it, i tried to play mgs1 later, but i just couldnt becuase the graphics where so outdated, is mgs2 up to the same graphics of 3?[/QUOTE]

Pick up the remake of MGS1 for Gamecube. It plays in 480p and graphics are even better than the two MGS games on PS2. MGS1 is a game that shouldn't be skipped over.

[quote name='afultz075']Pick up the remake of MGS1 for Gamecube. It plays in 480p and graphics are even better than the two MGS games on PS2. MGS1 is a game that shouldn't be skipped over.[/QUOTE]

hmm interesting, whats it called and how much does it go for?

bread's done
Back