Meteos Disney Magic Preorder $19.99

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up. I can tell by the cover art that they're shrewdly trying to keep the Disney aspect low key, so as to draw in both Disney fans and fans of the original game. I fall into both categories, so it's an easy sale.

This has already been posted, but thanks for helping out the community anyway.

[quote name='BouncingSoul']sorry, never saw it, and I even tried a search. oh, well[/QUOTE]

It was actually posted within another thread, so it probably would have been hard to find anyway.... :)

Well, now that we have a thread about it, is it a worthwhile purchase for someone who already has Meteos? Is it more like Meteos with Disney decoration, or is there substantial new content?

[quote name='blandstalker']Well, now that we have a thread about it, is it a worthwhile purchase for someone who already has Meteos? Is it more like Meteos with Disney decoration, or is there substantial new content?[/QUOTE]

I'd have to say yes. They've redesigned the game from the ground up. The fact that the screens are now oriented horizontally instead of vertically alone makes it intriguing (no more "scratching"). They're not including wifi support, which is very disappointing, but IMO it looks like there's enough there to make it a buy if you're a fan of the original (especially for $20).

Preview on IGN:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/740/740576p1.html

I thought $19.99 was MSRP. I've seen it advertised everywhere for that price.

blandstalker, there is a write-up on gamespot. Basically the tiles are bigger for easier grabbing, and the game is played with the DS rotated 90 degrees for a larger playfield. The unlockables are gone, and there is, of course, the Disney factor.

For me, the original version is preferable, and there is not a reason to pick this up.

I'm one of the few that skipped the first, so I'll definitely get this. I haven't touched my DS in months, this will give me incentive.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm one of the few that skipped the first, so I'll definitely get this. I haven't touched my DS in months, this will give me incentive.[/QUOTE]

The original is readily available for $20. And Disney is evil.

[quote name='ma']The original is readily available for $20. And Disney is evil.[/QUOTE]

I can easily get the original for less than $20. And no company that could make "The Fox and the Hound" could possibly be evil.

Personally, the ability to move horizontally takes a lot out of the game for me. Part of the challenge of the first one was that you could only move things vertically. Changing this is changing the whole nature of the game. Its like how they allowed you to spin tetris blocks indefinitely in tetris ds.

Unnecessary and unwanted from fans of the original.

[quote name='Nilbog']Personally, the ability to move horizontally takes a lot out of the game for me. Part of the challenge of the first one was that you could only move things vertically. Changing this is changing the whole nature of the game. Its like how they allowed you to spin tetris blocks indefinitely in tetris ds.

Unnecessary and unwanted from fans of the original.[/quote]

I feel exactly the opposite. I think this eliminates the biggest complaint about the original, that being that you could get through all but the most specific challenge stages by simply scratching your stylus randomly up and down all over the screen. You won't be able to do that now. You have to be more calculating and make deliberate moves. It might be less hectic, but it will also be more challenging.

[quote name='Tybee']I feel exactly the opposite. I think this eliminates the biggest complaint about the original, that being that you could get through all but the most specific challenge stages by simply scratching your stylus randomly up and down all over the screen. You won't be able to do that now. You have to be more calculating and make deliberate moves. It might be less hectic, but it will also be more challenging.[/QUOTE]

I understand how you feel, but I never did the scratching stylus thing. I can understand if you would want the game to be easier, but it was extremely challenging before. And several people managed to max out scores on certain levels in deluge before. Now just about anyone will be able to if they have any sense at all. It just seems like you're buying Meteos with an ultra ultra easy mode. And if you were scratching earlier, why were you even playing the game?

Just to clarify a few comments above:

1) I think MSRP is $29.99, not $19.99. I could be wrong, but I have seen only $29.99 listed elsewhere.

2) I don't think the cover art shown on the Amazon page is the final art--I think it is just a placeholder image.

Check out this link to see the much more Disney-obvious image on the Gamestop site (which also shows a $29.99 price)

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=180172

I'm personally undecided. I think it is a decent value, and I do love Disney myself, but I am just unsure about having another version of Meteos that in reality is just a variation on a theme.

Yeah a simple search through PriceGrabber and Froogle show its MSRP is $29.99 so this is a decent deal of 33% off.

[quote name='Nilbog']I understand how you feel, but I never did the scratching stylus thing. I can understand if you would want the game to be easier, but it was extremely challenging before. And several people managed to max out scores on certain levels in deluge before. Now just about anyone will be able to if they have any sense at all. It just seems like you're buying Meteos with an ultra ultra easy mode. And if you were scratching earlier, why were you even playing the game?[/QUOTE]

I never scratched, except when I was just trying so hard to move things that it in essence BECAME scratching. And I should say that I loved the gameplay as it was. I'm not one of these people that considered the game "broken" because scratching was possible, primarily because it really wasn't in situations where you were asked to clear the entire screen, or eliminate a certain amount of a color, or what have you. But in 70% of the game, it WAS an option for those inclined to use it, and I think that's a legitimate flaw that they were right to address. I fail to see how adding lateral movement makes the game easier. If anything, I think it makes it harder. More options = more ways to screw up.

From everything I've read this is dumbed-down Meteos without awesome music with Disney skins slapped on it. No thanks.

[quote name='Nilbog']Personally, the ability to move horizontally takes a lot out of the game for me. Part of the challenge of the first one was that you could only move things vertically. Changing this is changing the whole nature of the game. Its like how they allowed you to spin tetris blocks indefinitely in tetris ds.

Unnecessary and unwanted from fans of the original.[/quote]

Yep, you're right. I've played Meteos 2 and I can say that hardcore fans of the original may not like some of the things in Meteos 2. Fans of the original have to understand that this is not the same game (in the way Lumines 2 was to Lumines 1). The fundamental gameplay has been simplified and coated with Disney paint, all in an attempt to make the game friendlier and more mass-marketable.

Mmmm, give me a dumbed down Meteos with a Disney Coat of paint anyday. I liked Meteos but I'm glad I won't have to play simply more of the same.

[quote name='dragaron']Why does the title of this thread state "Meteos Disney Magic Preorder $19.99". Neither the Walmart link nor the Amazon link given lead me to a page that states the price as $19.99. I've read through this thread 3 times and don't get it. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
The price unfortunately changed on Amazon. :(

bread's done
Back