Metroid: Other M - The CAG Thread

I'm okay with the tiny d-pad, but it does hurt after a while, especially on Hard Mode. Nintendo Thumb ahoy I guess.

That analog solution doesn't look to be ideal, though.

So things really picked up once the
Deleter
comes into play. I ended up dropping 5 hours into the game yesterday, finishing at about 3am. My final time was 8:36 with a 43% collection rate.

The story ended up really drawing me in, which I wasn't expecting. By the end of the game, Samus's detached, lifeless responses fit the character more and more and took on a very melancholic tone.

The controls are another issue entirely. My thumb still aches. By the end, I didn't mind so much the first-person mechanic. My biggest gripe is that it's overly sensitive. The slightest movement and suddenly I'm no longer locked on. This came into total frustration when
MB called out the enemies at the end. I could not for the life of me move or target fast enough. I died a dozen times before I finally was able to make it through that portion.

And finally, a question that I'm curious about:
Who was the Deleter? I can think of several possibilities that make sense within the story, but am wondering if I missed the definitive answer somewhere in the story.

[quote name='thelonepig']So things really picked up once the
Deleter
comes into play. I ended up dropping 5 hours into the game yesterday, finishing at about 3am. My final time was 8:36 with a 43% collection rate.

The story ended up really drawing me in, which I wasn't expecting. By the end of the game, Samus's detached, lifeless responses fit the character more and more and took on a very melancholic tone.

The controls are another issue entirely. My thumb still aches. By the end, I didn't mind so much the first-person mechanic. My biggest gripe is that it's overly sensitive. The slightest movement and suddenly I'm no longer locked on. This came into total frustration when
MB called out the enemies at the end. I could not for the life of me move or target fast enough. I died a dozen times before I finally was able to make it through that portion.

Who was the Deleter? I can think of several possibilities that make sense within the story, but am wondering if I missed the definitive answer somewhere in the story.
[/QUOTE]

I finished 100% last night, good times :)

I liked the story too. But I think I'd like Samus talking a little less... she seemed to go on too much IMO.

I had alot of trouble at the end with MB too, but then I realized you had to shoot HER and not the other enemies. Then I beat it first try :)

the other way the controller would work is the support classic control and have super metroid style control

[quote name='thelonepig']So things really picked up once the
Deleter

[/QUOTE]

James was the Deleter. In the cutscene in Sector 3, the Deleter is depicted to have a faded "07" on his helmet. Wouldn't you know it that James has a faded "07" on his helmet.

Is Bergman 3 feet tall or something? In that cut scene with Samus, she is at least 2 feet taller than her. Samus seems the same size in and out of her suit.

Samus is taller in her suit than she is out of it. It becomes pretty clear during the final cutscene. Well, you'd have to think back to an earlier cutscene to draw a comparison, though. It's like a foot difference.

Been playing it, 3 things made this game suck

first you can't shoot missiles without locking on, the whole going into first person is OK but in the heat of battle with no movement makes it to awkward. If they would have made the B button missiles and holding it do a super missile that would have been a lot more fun. Also the lack of strafing is epically lame.

second, there is no point in killing any enemy unless its to open a locked door, since enemies don't leave anything when they die you can just run past them, also I die frequently since I cannot recharge my health above 99 once I'm out of energy tanks.

third, The whole story isn't right for the metroid series, a series with virtually no dialog and the feeling of being alone has been a theme with all except this one. That is why this game fails on so many levels but I'm not going to complain anymore since I got it for free.

I've only played through the first boss, and I already don't think I'm going to bother with this game. The controls just don't work.

[quote name='phantasyx']
second, there is no point in killing any enemy unless its to open a locked door, since enemies don't leave anything when they die you can just run past them, also I die frequently since I cannot recharge my health above 99 once I'm out of energy tanks.
.[/QUOTE]

You will get items that let you concentrate past 99 into your energy tanks.

The point of killing enemies is that once the room is clear, the map shows you the locations of the items.

You don't "have to" kill enemies in a lot of Metroid games in order to progress. You usually just do it anyway.

[quote name='Corvin']Interesting. Do post some feedback when you get it. The tiny d-pad is getting on my nerves.[/QUOTE]

Will do. I'll probably post my impressions/pics next Friday or Saturday.

[quote name='nbballard']Is Bergman 3 feet tall or something? In that cut scene with Samus, she is at least 2 feet taller than her. Samus seems the same size in and out of her suit.[/QUOTE]

Anthony seems taller outside of his suit than in it. WTF?

[quote name='phantasyx']third, The whole story isn't right for the metroid series, a series with virtually no dialog and the feeling of being alone has been a theme with all except this one. That is why this game fails on so many levels but I'm not going to complain anymore since I got it for free.[/QUOTE]

You get that feeling later on in the game.

[quote name='evanft']I've only played through the first boss, and I already don't think I'm going to bother with this game. The controls just don't work.[/QUOTE]

Stick with it. I found the last 2 bosses easy compared to the first two. The controls work, they just take awhile to get used to.

Is the chase sequence you guys are talking about a post game event?

Just finished it, and the last cinematic was beautiful, but that was such an anti-climax I was honestly surprised when the credits started.

[quote name='nbballard']Is the chase sequence you guys are talking about a post game event?

Just finished it, and the last cinematic was beautiful, but that was such an anti-climax I was honestly surprised when the credits started.[/QUOTE]

Reload your save to do the epilogue.. there is a new boss and some new story there.

The whole authorization thing makes Samus out to be a submissive drone to me. I mean, if I was running through a high temperature area and had the option to protect myself, I would do so no matter if a guy who I really don't have to answer to says it's ok or not. I can see him not wanting her to use Super Bombs and her other destructive equipment but there is no reason to stop her from using the grapple beam, speed boost and varia suit. It just does not make one ounce of sense and tarnishes the character in my opinion. There had to have been a better way.

Different mission, different circumstances. Yes, the Varia Suit one is very stupid, but you don't really need the Grapple Beam and Speed Booster until those sections come up. She followed pretty strict orders in Fusion about where to go, what to do/kill, etc. They also do get away from that later in the game.

[quote name='KingBroly']Different mission, different circumstances. Yes, the Varia Suit one is very stupid, but you don't really need the Grapple Beam and Speed Booster until those sections come up. She followed pretty strict orders in Fusion about where to go, what to do/kill, etc. They also do get away from that later in the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you don't need the grapple or speed boost to progress but there are several spots where they could be used to get items before they are authorized. Of course going back for items with new equipment is one of the main themes of the series but the reasoning behind not being able to use them at those points is a colossal slap in the face to logic. I usually don't nitpick but it's just so outstandingly stupid I can't help myself...lol. I didn't play Fusion but I hope the reasoning wasn't as ridiculous as it is here.

[quote name='Killbomb']The whole authorization thing makes Samus out to be a submissive drone to me. I mean, if I was running through a high temperature area and had the option to protect myself, I would do so no matter if a guy who I really don't have to answer to says it's ok or not. I can see him not wanting her to use Super Bombs and her other destructive equipment but there is no reason to stop her from using the grapple beam, speed boost and varia suit. It just does not make one ounce of sense and tarnishes the character in my opinion. There had to have been a better way.[/QUOTE]
I agree, but I think i may have thrown up in my mouth a bit if she crashed her ship and broke all her cool weapons for the 7th time.

[quote name='Killbomb']Yeah, you don't need the grapple or speed boost to progress but there are several spots where they could be used to get items before they are authorized. Of course going back for items with new equipment is one of the main themes of the series but the reasoning behind not being able to use them at those points is a colossal slap in the face to logic. I usually don't nitpick but it's just so outstandingly stupid I can't help myself...lol. I didn't play Fusion but I hope the reasoning wasn't as ridiculous as it is here.[/QUOTE]

In Fusion, Samus got infected by a parasite, so she lost her suit and her powers. To get some upgrades back (Suits, Space Jump, Screw Attack, Charge Beam) you had to defeat certain enemies. Other items like missiles and bombs were gotten by stepping in "Data Rooms". There's no real way to get them out of order, either. You were told where to go by a computer AI.

Like I said, different missions, different circumstances. And in the grand scheme of things, she's always following orders of the Galactic Federation, sometimes the rules are loose, others they are tight.

Played for about two hours and I have to say, this game is pretty damn awesome. Great looking Wii game and the controls aren't that tricky.

[quote name='Bloodbooger'] Great looking Wii game[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but I have to disagree. The Prime series were great looking games, OM is very 'meh by comparison, especially once you hit the outdoor scenes with the team. The characters are lifeless, the environment lacks any detail and it's just ugly. Zelda can ride the stylized look in SD(WWaker anyway, TP was ugly) but Metroid is one series that demands HD, IMO and it's never been more clear than in this game.

You can tell great care and time was spent on Samus in the cut scenes, but everyone else looks and moves horrendously like they were an afterthought in the development process. It's nice that we finally get some story on Samus, but imagine it if the quality was on par with something like Heavenly Sword, Gears or GoW series.

Where is the classic Metroid score and sound f/x? They are far too understated for my liking. It's too quiet and the typical themes and sounds are barely audible.

Now, controls... so far they aren't game breaking, but if Samus is going to move in 3d space in a 2d game why not just use the freakin' nunchuck instead of this BS Wiimote "flip?" You would get the analog which would be far more intuitive and the wiimote would constantly be pointed at the screen ready for action. It's just an asinine design choice.

I'm really enjoying the game, but it really has a lot more flaws than just 'emo-Samus.'

I actually disagree on the Art Folio; I like the packaging, but 4-5 of the 16 6x9 cards are in-game screenshots. Really? Some of them are more interesting, but overall I was disappointed.

Re: the game, it's frustrated me in a couple places, the most recent of which was
where you are pinned to the ground and have to shoot the purple creature's tail. It seemed like no matter what I did, I was too slow on the draw and couldn't lock on fast enough. Took about 4 tries.

>THIS NEXT STATEMENT IS MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE TO THE PRECEDING ONE (for Broly)<

I too am just mystified as to why the nunchuk wasn't used for movement. Depending on how simple it is to go back and grab stuff I missed at the end, I may not bother with 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corvin']I hate to say it, but I have to disagree. The Prime series were great looking games, OM is very 'meh by comparison, especially once you hit the outdoor scenes with the team. The characters are lifeless, the environment lacks any detail and it's just ugly. Zelda can ride the stylized look in SD(WWaker anyway, TP was ugly) but Metroid is one series that demands HD, IMO and it's never been more clear than in this game.

You can tell great care and time was spent on Samus in the cut scenes, but everyone else looks and moves horrendously like they were an afterthought in the development process. It's nice that we finally get some story on Samus, but imagine it if the quality was on par with something like Heavenly Sword, Gears or GoW series.

Where is the classic Metroid score and sound f/x? They are far too understated for my liking. It's too quiet and the typical themes and sounds are barely audible.

Now, controls... so far they aren't game breaking, but if Samus is going to move in 3d space in a 2d game why not just use the freakin' nunchuck instead of this BS Wiimote "flip?" You would get the analog which would be far more intuitive and the wiimote would constantly be pointed at the screen ready for action. It's just an asinine design choice.

I'm really enjoying the game, but it really has a lot more flaws than just 'emo-Samus.'[/QUOTE]

I was thinking last night that outside of bad controls, this game's biggest issue is that it is a sequel to what are considered 3 of the best games ever. I didn't play all of them to completion, but I played all of them long enough to see that every little thing was lovingly and perfectly crafted. There are moments in OtherM where my thoughts range from "That's cool- but PRIME did it better" to "Who thought this was a good idea?"

Thanks for the reviews guys; gonna flip this back to Amazon without wasting my time on this game. Was planning on borrowing a system to try it, but I was just fooling myself thinking I could play past horrible controls. I'd rather just play Super Metroid again TBH.

Accidentally triggered the final sequence while i was going for my 100%. I finished at 86%. I may or may not bother with the rest of it, since I'm done with the story portion of the game. That said, the post game events are better than the stuff that happens in the game-- and it's a shame that a lot of players won't realize that it is there.

The theater mode on this game is GREAT! It fills in the gaps between cutscenes smoothly, so you can watch them all together without feeling like you missed something.

[quote name='Jodou']Thanks for the reviews guys; gonna flip this back to Amazon without wasting my time on this game. Was planning on borrowing a system to try it, but I was just fooling myself thinking I could play past horrible controls. I'd rather just play Super Metroid again TBH.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, the game has the same control scheme as Super Paper Mario- the only problem is that the controls are a lot more demanding in this title. Broly is right- as you play further into the game, they get to be less of a bother- but they don't ever truly disappear into the experience.

Less of a bother? Talk about a spin on what I said. I think the controls are good. I said it takes a while to learn the controls and how to play the game.

[quote name='KingBroly']Less of a bother? Talk about a spin on what I said. I think the controls are good. I said it takes a while to learn the controls and how to play the game.[/QUOTE]
Earlier you said that they got better as the game progressed. I was agreeing with that statement. Not so much the more recent ones that say they were good.

Story Question:
Earlier, someone mentioned that James was the deleter, but we found him dead (Possibly from Ridley). At the end of the game though, if you look at the character profiles, it shows all of the people that are dead, and indicates that one of the crew members is still alive but missing. Am I forgetting some part of the story where someones body disappeared or are they implying that he is the deleter?

[quote name='nbballard']Earlier you said that they got better as the game progressed. I was agreeing with that statement. Not so much the more recent ones that say they were good.

Story Question:
Earlier, someone mentioned that James was the deleter, but we found him dead (Possibly from Ridley). At the end of the game though, if you look at the character profiles, it shows all of the people that are dead, and indicates that one of the crew members is still alive but missing. Am I forgetting some part of the story where someones body disappeared or are they implying that he is the deleter?
[/QUOTE]

What I mean was you learned the controls. Bad controls cannot be learned or salvaged in any way, because they are inherently broken. This a a new control set, so it does take some time to get used to. If they put a Nunchuck in your hands, they put on a reticle on screen, and suddenly the game becomes impossible to play because there'd be way too much stuff to point and shoot at. This isn't Metroid Prime, and it's not trying to be. It's trying to be Metroid Fusion from a controls standpoint.

Story part
James is the deleter. When KG is pushed into the lava, you can see that the deleter's helmet number is faded. James' helmet has a faded number. KG might be the one missing, but that might be because they didn't find his body, and I don't think they're going to look in lava to find it ;)

[quote name='KingBroly']
Story part
James is the deleter. When KG is pushed into the lava, you can see that the deleter's helmet number is faded. James' helmet has a faded number. KG might be the one missing, but that might be because they didn't find his body, and I don't think they're going to look in lava to find it ;)
[/QUOTE]
You are right- that was the guy I was talking about.

I'm glad I could answer that for you then.

Even if you don't go for 100% (to unlock Hard Mode), I still recommend trying the
Double Secret Probation Ending
. Also, you could probably just download a game save off Gamefaqs or something to look at the rest of the gallery because this isn't an online game.

Also, I hope you know about the trick when entering first person when there's an enemy on-screen
Hold B

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I got my 100% and the rest of it this morning. It was worth the time. I probably won't try it on hard though. I don't have a huge backlog right now- and i've got to keep pace if I want to stay on top of it through January.

You should check out the Gallery at least. Really good stuff in there, especially the character designs. I think the character designs overall were pretty damn good. One question though
Brown jacket, green pants and white knee high boots for Samus? I guess they wanted to give her some other outfit besides the Zero Suit. I guess space taste is different.

My god. I can't believe it, but I think this game is getting worse the more I play it. I mean, how shitty can the camera, controls, and combat get?

[quote name='evanft']My god. I can't believe it, but I think this game is getting worse the more I play it. I mean, how shitty can the camera, controls, and combat get?[/QUOTE]

See now I think you're just flat out lying about playing this game.

[quote name='KingBroly']See now I think you're just flat out lying about playing this game.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because no one who actually plays the game can think that the controls, camera, and combat can be shitty.

The camera was never an issue for me. If you hate it in this game, you must have hated it in God of War because it's nearly identical to that.

How is the combat shitty?

Anyway, I played a little bit more getting some upgrades. I always hate it when I go back to one and realize I could have gotten it a long time ago.

[quote name='icedrake523']The camera was never an issue for me. If you hate it in this game, you must have hated it in God of War because it's nearly identical to that.

How is the combat shitty?

Anyway, I played a little bit more getting some upgrades. I always hate it when I go back to one and realize I could have gotten it a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

Yea- sometimes I missed them because they were in areas near one of my new power ups- so I naturally assumed that I was supposed to use that power to get the item. Then I went back later and noticed a big hole in the wall, or something stupid like that.

Regarding the camera, I didn't have a problem with it- but I thought it was funny how the game randomly decided how it was going to treat corners / curved parts of the map. Sometimes the camera would lock on and turn with the room, and sometimes it would just stay behind you (only example that specifically comes to mind is the Glass Hallway in the snow field).

Probably because you'd end up with something weird like Devil May Cry in how it changes its' camera when you keep moving in an area like that. You keep going in that direction until you stop/move, then you're disoriented.

[quote name='KingBroly']Even if you don't go for 100% (to unlock Hard Mode), I still recommend trying the
Double Secret Probation Ending
.[/QUOTE]

Do explain this further, please. :D

bread's done
Back