Metroid: Other M - The CAG Thread

[quote name='KingBroly']Also I hear a lot of people think the VA for Samus fits her pretty well.[/QUOTE]

This is excellent news and was one of my biggest concerns about the game.

[quote name='Ryukahn']This is excellent news and was one of my biggest concerns about the game.[/QUOTE]

They said it fits, it doesn't mean the writing's good.

[quote name='KingBroly']They said it fits, it doesn't mean the writing's good.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have played several games lately with absolutely terrible writing/VAs, so anything at least decent is probably going to be a nice change of pace for me lol.

[quote name='jaredstorm']So stoked for this game. Anyone know what the length of the game will be?[/QUOTE]

Well the width will be 120mm.

[quote name='foltzie']Well the width will be 120mm.[/QUOTE]

Good I was hoping as such.

I keep hearing that the controls are bad. Then people on boards say the controls are fluid.

[quote name='jaredstorm']Good I was hoping as such.

I keep hearing that the controls are bad. Then people on boards say the controls are fluid.[/QUOTE]

I think that is because controls are pretty subjective and influenced heavily by personal preference. I thought Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 used the Wii controls pretty well, but personally thought the Metroid Prime 3 controls were poor and a step backwards for the series. However, I know there are people out there that prefer the Prime 3 controls and think Galaxy controls are too loose.

Hell, there are even people out there that defended the laggy control system of killzone 2 and people who defend the craptacular floaty jump physics in LittleBigPlanet.

From what I have read in articles, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Other M controls.

I'd like to bring up a Super Mario 64 DS analogy if I may. Super Mario 64 DS was ported without an analog stick in mind and thus the controls suffered. This game is being made with the d-pad in mind. There is a world of difference between the two.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'd like to bring up a Super Mario 64 DS analogy if I may. Super Mario 64 DS was ported without an analog stick in mind and thus the controls suffered. This game is being made with the d-pad in mind. There is a world of difference between the two.[/QUOTE]

Wait, d-pad, what? I preordered this long ago without knowing anything about it because I had those $30 trade-in promo coupons from Amazon last Fall that I had to use by the end of the year and this was one if the long term things I could preorder. When they came up with the $20 credit on top of that I figured I might as well keep it, but now I think I better read up on this game. I absolutely despise using the D-pad for anything beyond menu selection type stuff (and maybe weapon switching, etc - stuff not used frequently in any case). It's why I dislike NES/SNES type games (and pretty much anything console-related from that time period - I played computer games during that time).

I guess I thought this was going to be more Metroid Prime-like but it appears not. Oh well, too bad... And yeah, I never played the 2D Metroids, so sue me... I guess when I have time I'll watch a video or something ;).

[quote name='io']Wait, d-pad, what? I preordered this long ago without knowing anything about it because I had those $30 trade-in promo coupons from Amazon last Fall that I had to use by the end of the year and this was one if the long term things I could preorder. When they came up with the $20 credit on top of that I figured I might as well keep it, but now I think I better read up on this game. I absolutely despise using the D-pad for anything beyond menu selection type stuff (and maybe weapon switching, etc - stuff not used frequently in any case). It's why I dislike NES/SNES type games (and pretty much anything console-related from that time period - I played computer games during that time).

I guess I thought this was going to be more Metroid Prime-like but it appears not. Oh well, too bad... And yeah, I never played the 2D Metroids, so sue me... I guess when I have time I'll watch a video or something ;).[/QUOTE]

Mock Mock Mock, poke the moderator. Have you never played a platformer?

This seems like it will use something like the Paper Mario scheme. NES style controls for your basic movement, but Wiimote Pointing/Analog shooting when needed/wanted.

[quote name='foltzie']Mock Mock Mock, poke the moderator. Have you never played a platformer?

This seems like it will use something like the Paper Mario scheme. NES style controls for your basic movement, but Wiimote Pointing/Analog shooting when needed/wanted.[/QUOTE]

He got you guys good

I wish I could Metroid-ify my Avatar.

Japanese story trailer. As the trailer name implies, quite a few spoilers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMBerJtJjM

[quote name='Strell']This sounds like a challenge.[/QUOTE]

Could be.

I'm going to add a link to that trailer in the OP even though it's not in English.

I also put in a link to Stephen Totilo's impressions at Kotaku. Read the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kotaku impressions had me worried until I realized it's Kotaku.

"I hated the controls! Is this the end of good Metroid games!?!"

*go to end of article*

"I got used to the controls!"

I don't see why people are so negative on the controls when

A - They haven't played it
B - Metroid Prime had awkward controls

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't see why people are so negative on the controls when

A - They haven't played it
B - Metroid Prime had awkward controls[/QUOTE]

Exactly. People complained about Prime before it came out too. So I don't think listening to those people is a smart idea. Just go with your gut, and mine tells me this is gonna be amaze!

I'm going in with a pre-set notion of how to play the game. I usually do this with a lot of games, including a lot of Wii games. I basically look at it like Metroid Zero Mission with a little bit of Super Paper Mario. I still don't understand the whole "Concentration" mechanic, but I guess it won't be that hard.

I thought Nintendo was going to market this game well. They're not off to a good start.

thumb_tumblr_l6cu61hjPy1qzp9weo1_400.jpg

The September issue of Nintendo Power just arrived. It's wrapped in cellophane and comes with an Other M double-sided poster. Not much on the inside of the mag about the game though...

[quote name='KingBroly']Is that poster subscriber exclusive?[/QUOTE]

I can't confirm as I have not seen the issue on newstands yet

[quote name='thelonepig']Judge for yourself. :)

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:shock:

I'm gonna go buy the Nintendo Power September issue just for that deliciousness! haha

Wow, if that poster is not subscriber exclusive, I'll have to go find that magazine. Somewhere, I never have good luck on finding an issue of Nintendo Power around here. :p

Anyway, about thirty days till launch! Who pre-ordered and where? I got mine at Amazon because I wanted the extra $20 bucks, the stuff at GameStop didn't appeal to me.

been on the fence about picking it up on Amazon but seeing as it has 20$ credit I am prob not going to do any better so I might just keep it sealed for a couple weeks till I finish Prime Trilogy.

I preordered from Gamestop back with the 25% off code and a giftcard. As much as I'd like the $20 Amazon credit, I'm just going to stick with the GS order and get the postcard book or whatever freebie it is that they're giving out.

[quote name='M-PG71C']Wow, if that poster is not subscriber exclusive, I'll have to go find that magazine. Somewhere, I never have good luck on finding an issue of Nintendo Power around here. :p[/QUOTE]

I would guess it isn't, since the August edition comes with a SMG2 poster. Not doublesided like the Metroid poster, but still nice.

Preordered from Amazon.
Hopefully my guy at GS will give me the freebies. He usually does with leftover's. :D
[quote name='KingBroly']Must.Get.Poster.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thelonepig']Judge for yourself. :)
[/QUOTE]

I received my issue today! Wanted to check this thread first to see if my homeboys posted a shot of the poster before I ripped it open. Thanks thelonepig!

I love the portrait side of the poster, so awesome!

[quote name='TheLongshot']I would guess it isn't, since the August edition comes with a SMG2 poster. Not doublesided like the Metroid poster, but still nice.[/QUOTE]

My Auguest issue never came, wtf. I just got the September issue. What can I do about this?

[quote name='flameofdoom666']My Auguest issue never came, wtf. I just got the September issue. What can I do about this?[/QUOTE]

The September issue is the issue that came with the Other M poster.

I got a September copy of Nintendo Power today. It came with the poster, so that means it's not a subscriber exclusive.

Also, that was added to the OP.

bread's done
Back