Metroid Prime 3 Controls revamped

ArthurDigbySellers

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
IGN is reporting that Retro Studios has added an "Expert" control option to MP3 which allows you to control the game just like a PC FPS. Instead of the wiimote only moving the aiming cursor, it will move the entire view like mouse movement in an FPS. They said that the game play is incredible with this setup.

I'm excited that someone is finally doing this right. Red Steel, take a page out of the Retro playbook, mofos.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732737p1.html

You know, I was thinking about this exact thing the other night, and all I could tell myself was "why in the fuck can they not do it like that?"

Good to see it was included. Chances are good I'll be using it.

Actually I'm a little confused as to how this will be implemented. You tilt the controller to turn to the right, but what happens when you "reset" your hand?

You recenter?

You move a mouse to the right to turn, and then when you move the mouse back to the center, you're looking straight again.

I think this will be good, cause I suck at the way the controls are implemented in Metroid Prime now.

[quote name='botticus']You recenter?

You move a mouse to the right to turn, and then when you move the mouse back to the center, you're looking straight again.[/QUOTE]Yeah but you would lift the mouse off the pad (or whatever surface you're using) when you re-center it. Otherwise you'd just turn left when you move the mouse back to the "center" position. I'm not sure what the Wiimote equivalent is for "lifting the mouse" when you want to re-center.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yeah but you would lift the mouse off the pad (or whatever surface you're using) when you re-center it. Otherwise you'd just turn left when you move the mouse back to the "center" position. I'm not sure what the Wiimote equivalent is for "lifting the mouse" when you want to re-center.[/quote]
Not really. If you were moving right, and then lifted the mouse to recenter, you would keep moving right, because your pointer didn't recenter when you moved the mouse. And you don't need to keep moving the remote farther and farther right like you do with a mouse, so there's no need to keep lifting and recentering to move farther.

If we're talking about different things, I apologize, it's just hard to discuss mouse-moving habbits on a message board.

When I recenter the mouse, I just move it back the opposite direction and stop it when the pointer gets to the center. Lifting the mouse is only dependent on your reach (mouse sensitivity) and the size of your mouse pad.

If I understand correctly, the reason why we need to "re-center" the Wiimote is because otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn 360 degrees in-game (since you'd have to rotate around 360 degrees in real-life).

Hence, a re-center is needed after the first 90-180 degree rotation, to continue on the rest of the arc while your body remains facing the TV.

Does that make sense?

Ah yes, I get it. I'm betting there will probably be a way to snap the remote back to center with a button click or something.

Thinking about this more, I'm thinking the two control types are as follows:

(a) "Red Steel" style, where the on-screen cursor/crosshairs moves around the screen, following the point of the Wiimote. Moving the on-screen cursor closer to the left, right edges causes in-game rotation in the respective direction.

(b) "Expert" style. This is not quite mouse and keyboard FPS style, which would require re-centering. This is a variation of the "Red Steel" type above, but the cursor/crosshairs is fixed at the middle of the screen. Aiming the Wiimote left or right will cause the in-game screen to rotate, without moving the crosshairs.

Can anybody think of why (b) wouldn't work? I haven't thought this entirely through, but on the surface it seems to fit.

Yeah jerfgoke nailed it. Another thing I'm wondering about... if I interepret the original report correctly, aiming the pointer up will have you "look up" in the game. So if I point at something in the air to shoot at it, the whole view tilts up... so the targeted opject is now in the center of the screen, but I'm not actually pointing at it anymore?

Eh, I'm probably analyzing this too much right now. No biggie, if I end up not liking the expert control I'll just stick with point 'n' shoot.

[quote name='jerfgoke']Thinking about this more, I'm thinking the two control types are as follows:

(a) "Red Steel" style, where the on-screen cursor/crosshairs moves around the screen, following the point of the Wiimote. Moving the on-screen cursor closer to the left, right edges causes in-game rotation in the respective direction.

(b) "Expert" style. This is not quite mouse and keyboard FPS style, which would require re-centering. This is a variation of the "Red Steel" type above, but the cursor/crosshairs is fixed at the middle of the screen. Aiming the Wiimote left or right will cause the in-game screen to rotate, without moving the crosshairs.

Can anybody think of why (b) wouldn't work? I haven't thought this entirely through, but on the surface it seems to fit.[/quote]

In expert mode, when the crosshair gets close to the edge, the screen rotates. The crosshair isn't locked to the center. On the MP3 hands-on there is a new vid. The guy in the game rotates the crosshair around the screen. Then he goes into the options and changes the sensitivity from normal to expert. Now when he turns, he can do it much faster.

[quote name='BlaqRenaissance']In expert mode, when the crosshair gets close to the edge, the screen rotates. The crosshair isn't locked to the center. On the MP3 hands-on there is a new vid. The guy in the game rotates the crosshair around the screen. Then he goes into the options and changes the sensitivity from normal to expert. Now when he turns, he can do it much faster.[/QUOTE]I'll have to check that vid out later; sounds like it may answer a lot my questions!

[quote name='BlaqRenaissance']In expert mode, when the crosshair gets close to the edge, the screen rotates. The crosshair isn't locked to the center. On the MP3 hands-on there is a new vid. The guy in the game rotates the crosshair around the screen. Then he goes into the options and changes the sensitivity from normal to expert. Now when he turns, he can do it much faster.[/QUOTE]I just watched the video. It looks to me like it's the same as the Red Steel style, but far more sensitive. Indeed, it is not what I described above. It looks excellent.

bread's done
Back