Metroid Prime 3 - Do Mother Brains' Have PMS? - 9.5 From IGN!

[quote name='whataboutbob?']I was late to the game w/ the GCN and just beat Metroid Prime a few months ago and havent made it to Metroid Prime 2 yet. Should i go ahead and get 3 and not worry about playing 2 or should i play 2 first? Is there any carry over story from 2 in 3?[/quote]As someone who only played 2 hours of the first game, I can tell you that you won't feel as if you're missing anything, if that's what you're worried about. If you're worried about the storyline spoiling something for you in an earlier game or potentially not getting the full understanding out of the whole plot, someone else will have to answer.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']I was late to the game w/ the GCN and just beat Metroid Prime a few months ago and havent made it to Metroid Prime 2 yet. Should i go ahead and get 3 and not worry about playing 2 or should i play 2 first? Is there any carry over story from 2 in 3?[/QUOTE]

the order doesn't matter. those story even, in my opinion, doesn't matter. i was late too. i've played most all of the metroids since the launch of the wii. starting with super metroid, the 2 primes, the 2 gba games. and now prime 3. but still not the first two. maybe someday.

i loved prime 2. but you should get ready for some serious backtracking. and some really difficult boss battles.

prime deals mostly with what happened to the chozo (the intelligent bird-like race that infused samus with their blood and gave her the power suit) and prime 2 just deals with what happened between prime and prime 3, storywise prime 1 was definitely ahead, difficultywise prime 2 is miles ahead, some of those bosses were just GRAAARGH, a certain
boostball
guardian comes to mind

Put in some more time tonight, beat the first boss on the Pirate Home World. Not to hard, did die once when I fell in the acid or something and died instantly. But did take a hell of a long time to kill her.

At least I don't have to worry about any spinoffs with these bounty hunters in the future as we discussed a few pages back. :D

As for the story debate which came up again, as earlier I don't think the games have that interesting a story. There's a decent bit there if you can and read all the lore stuff etc. across the 3 games. But I found it pretty generic scifi/fantasy stuff, and not all that compelling.

So I don't think anyone should feel that their missing anything major story wise if they don't play the first two. They're just missing a damn good game if they don't play the first one.

i'm on my second run through. i upped it to veteran difficulty. i'm to the final boss and i've failed 3 times. there were 3 bosses, including the last one that i beat my first try on my first run. but it's far more difficult on the veteran level.

i never give games second runs. but this one is just too fun. this is one of the few games that has both incredible action and puzzles.

You can SCAN the upgrades, yes, but they don't go in the logbook. Anything you scan that doesn't go in the logbook is and always has been worthless for unlocks in Prime.

EDIT: Rundas goes down like a bitch if you invoke hypermode. It makes the entire thing pure cheese, even on Veteran.

[quote name='The Crotch']Just wrecked my first Leviathan. Was it Chacrana who had trouble with the Moegnar guy? Can't understand how. I'm not exactly the best player ever, but I beat him first try on Veteran...
[/QUOTE]

I had a ton of trouble with him as well. Took me around 2 1/2 hours of trying to beat him. Not sure what it was. I've not had any problems with any other bosses through the first one on the Pirate homeworld...

I think part of it was just not having the controls down, and the other playing with batteries that were near dead and making the aiming sluggish as I beat him on the 2nd try after putting in fresh batteries.

Well, bombing Moegnar's feet is REALLY squirrelly, and considering how much you hemmorhage health from invoking overdrive, you can easily take enough damage to outpace the health Moe seems to shit at every opportunity and go down for the count. If you get a good pattern down and can actually nail the orbs... you're golden, but he can definitely bring the pain if you aren't careful.

Took me far too long to take out the first shield generator on Bryyo last night, partly because I didn't know where they wanted me to backtrack to, then I forgot all about that whole command visor thing, and then I sat there for at least 20 minutes fighting those fucking armored aerotroopers because I figured that's what I was supposed to do. Oops. At least I didn't die.

It may be part of the lore, or part of the story, or they notified me, and I didn't realize it, but I was just dorking around on the Valhalla, thinking I was golden, then hit a spot needing more Energy Cells than I installed (4). Oh well. I haven't started the Pirate world yet, that's my next stop.

I'm currently stuck at the part on Bryyo where you have to pull the levers to disable the turret while fighting the aerotroopers, so I'm still way at the beginning of the game. The first turret was a piece of cake, but this one's kicking my ass for some reason. Got pretty frustrated, so I've put it down for a while. Well, that and having to go out every night this week, plus an addiction to Pokemon Pearl.

Hopefully I'll get more playtime this weekend. I hear how far some of you are and how many of you have completed it and I feel shame.

damn it, it is too hard to post in this thread without spoiling the game.

Anyway Im here to ask if anybody else was having problems with flicking the nunchuk to make the grapple beam come out? I flick and flick but sometimes (every once in a while) no matter what I do it wont yank the damn thing off. It wont even come out of her left arm at all.

[quote name='pittpizza']damn it, it is too hard to post in this thread without spoiling the game.

Anyway Im here to ask if anybody else was having problems with flicking the nunchuk to make the grapple beam come out? I flick and flick but sometimes (every once in a while) no matter what I do it wont yank the damn thing off. It wont even come out of her left arm at all.[/quote]There are many times you can see a grapple point without being able to interact with it, which might be where the issue comes from. If you can grapple to a grapple point, you will see a little reticule spinning around the icon.

That said, I have not had any issues in the cases where it's applicable, though if I try to pull back too soon after grappling, it doesn't like it and the I have to pull back even farther. Kinda like fishing.

Thanks for the response botticus.

I know there are somethings you can and cant grapple quite yet.
Like the situation where you get the longer grapple and can swing from grapple points.
I am not talking about this.

I am talking about situations where I can and should grapple something. The icon to do it is there and I hold Z and flick and flick and flick but no grapple beam. It has happened twice so far and each time I tried eveyrthign (rebooting, cleaning disc, reconnecting Wii remote, etc...) and the only thing that worked was doing a system update. So far so good after the update. Words cannot express how frustrating this was though, especially since i only have the games (this and bioshock) for a few weeks due to a free trial of gamefly. What can I say, im a cheap ass gamer.

[quote name='Tybee']I'm currently stuck at the part on Bryyo where you have to pull the levers to disable the turret while fighting the aerotroopers, so I'm still way at the beginning of the game. The first turret was a piece of cake, but this one's kicking my ass for some reason. Got pretty frustrated, so I've put it down for a while. Well, that and having to go out every night this week, plus an addiction to Pokemon Pearl.

Hopefully I'll get more playtime this weekend. I hear how far some of you are and how many of you have completed it and I feel shame.[/QUOTE]

That was probably my least favorite part of the entire game. I wish I had some strategic advice, but I really don't -- if you can, watch for the one pirate who flies away to pull back the levers you've already done, and shoot him before the one who's up in your grill -- otherwise, it's just "kill faster, be patient."

[quote name='pittpizza']I am talking about situations where I can and should grapple something. The icon to do it is there and I hold Z and flick and flick and flick but no grapple beam.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify -- and I apologize if you're on top of this -- but what Botticus is talking about isn't just the grapple icon being there. There's actually a spinning reticle that appears around the grapple icon. There's a specific range that the grapple works at, so if the spinning thing isn't appearing, either get closer or back up. I couldn't grapple to save my life (literally) until I realized I was almost always standing too close.

OT, after beating this last week, I started in on BioShock, which is also a friggin' fantastic game. After all this time with Corruption, though, the aiming in BioShock feels sluggish and cumbersome, and the auto-aim super-lenient. It doesn't really detract from the game, but I'm increasingly convinced that Cassamassina's hype for the Advanced controls is actually Gospel: Corruption may very well be the best-controlling first-person-whatever yet.

[quote name='trq']
Just to clarify -- and I apologize if you're on top of this -- but what Botticus is talking about isn't just the grapple icon being there. There's actually a spinning reticle that appears around the grapple icon. There's a specific range that the grapple works at, so if the spinning thing isn't appearing, either get closer or back up. I couldn't grapple to save my life (literally) until I realized I was almost always standing too close.

OT, after beating this last week, I started in on BioShock, which is also a friggin' fantastic game. After all this time with Corruption, though, the aiming in BioShock feels sluggish and cumbersome, and the auto-aim super-lenient. It doesn't really detract from the game, but I'm increasingly convinced that Cassamassina's hype for the Advanced controls is actually Gospel: Corruption may very well be the best-controlling first-person-whatever yet.[/quote]

Yeah thanks trq for your help but I knew about how the icon actually needs to be spinning. I tried everything in teh game too, (standin in differnt places and re-locking onto it) it had to be a glitch or something but hopefully (knocks on wood) it wont happne again. 9 times out of 10 it worked fine but on two specific parts it would not grapple no matter how I flicked or where I was in the game. (This is while I am locked onto the spinning orange grapple icon).

[quote name='trq']OT, after beating this last week, I started in on BioShock, which is also a friggin' fantastic game. After all this time with Corruption, though, the aiming in BioShock feels sluggish and cumbersome, and the auto-aim super-lenient. It doesn't really detract from the game, but I'm increasingly convinced that Cassamassina's hype for the Advanced controls is actually Gospel: Corruption may very well be the best-controlling first-person-whatever yet.[/quote]

And supposedly the aiming mechanic in Medal of Honor Heroes 2 is even better. Granted that game is probably not going to set the world on fire, it's nice to see that FPS controls will continue to get better and better on the Wii.

[quote name='lebowsky']And supposedly the aiming mechanic in Medal of Honor Heroes 2 is even better. Granted that game is probably not going to set the world on fire, it's nice to see that FPS controls will continue to get better and better on the Wii.[/quote]

*Sadly forsees Call of Duty 4 totally overshadowing MoH Heroes 2, regardless of how stellar the controls are.*

I just wanted to jump in this thread to say that this is by far my most favorite game of the past two gens (wii and gamecube). It's definitely my favorite action/adventure game of all time (replacing OoT and ICO/Shadows of the Colossus). I haven't played a game in ages where I wanted to start again from the beginning as soon as the last credit passed me by.

The only part of this game I didn't enjoy was the Bryyo boss fight -- it didn't seem properly balanced for it being the first boss (no other boss gave me such a hard time) and my hands were aching after it was all over with.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']It may be part of the lore, or part of the story, or they notified me, and I didn't realize it, but I was just dorking around on the Valhalla, thinking I was golden, then hit a spot needing more Energy Cells than I installed (4). Oh well. I haven't started the Pirate world yet, that's my next stop.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, you need every energy cell to open up every part of the Valhalla. And if you want to get 100% of the pickups you need to do so... The first time I went there I only had 1 with me - that didn't get me too far. Then for the longest time at the end of the game I couldn't figure out where the last one was. Turns out it was right there on the floor of the Valhalla dock (and thus the easiest one to get, really). I just didn't see it up against the also scannable ship sitting there - a little tiny scannable thing right up against a big scannable thing.

[quote name='io']Well, yeah, you need every energy cell to open up every part of the Valhalla. And if you want to get 100% of the pickups you need to do so... The first time I went there I only had 1 with me - that didn't get me too far. Then for the longest time at the end of the game I couldn't figure out where the last one was. Turns out it was right there on the floor of the Valhalla dock (and thus the easiest one to get, really). I just didn't see it up against the also scannable ship sitting there - a little tiny scannable thing right up against a big scannable thing.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem. Then I found it and hit myself. :dunce:

[quote name='dmaul1114']I had a ton of trouble with him as well. Took me around 2 1/2 hours of trying to beat him. Not sure what it was. I've not had any problems with any other bosses through the first one on the Pirate homeworld...

I think part of it was just not having the controls down, and the other playing with batteries that were near dead and making the aiming sluggish as I beat him on the 2nd try after putting in fresh batteries.[/quote]Yeah, I just died twice at him tonight, I'll try again tomorrow. Just so I know I'm attempting the right strategy:

I shoot up his orbs until they're white (though I should probably focus on one at a time for efficiency), then blast it when open while in hypermode until it's yellow. Then I guess that needs to be done 4 times. Just doesn't seem like I have enough energy tanks to do that, and take a shitload of damage rolling around his feet bombing.

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, I just died twice at him tonight, I'll try again tomorrow. Just so I know I'm attempting the right strategy:

I shoot up his orbs until they're white (though I should probably focus on one at a time for efficiency), then blast it when open while in hypermode until it's yellow. Then I guess that needs to be done 4 times. Just doesn't seem like I have enough energy tanks to do that, and take a shitload of damage rolling around his feet bombing.
[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. As long as you keep destroying the red orbs he pulls in from the sides of the room before he repairs himself, and you keep absorbing the energy his floaty hand things drop when blown up, you should be able to top yourself up fairly well, to bust out hypermode as needed.

Doesn't he shoot little white orbs at you as well, or am I mixing him up with someone else? If so, make SURE you shoot those as they drop lots of health (in addition to the hands). If you just wait a few cycles you can get nearly all your health back.

I did this fight the super-hard way. I got all the orbs white, and THEN tried to hypermode them. Of course, if you aren't quick he'll get new orbs to replace them if they aren't destroyed yet. When I played through this part for my son the other day I did one at a time - MUCH easier...

Odd, the morphball bombing part I found to be the easiest part of it. I was wondering why they included that as it seemed so unnecessary (just slightly annoying). That hardest part, by far, for me was destroying the white orbs in hypermode - it would take me 2-3 attempts per orb, thus requiring lots of pickups to restore health.

Good news to anyone who found thus fight difficult: I'd say it is by far the hardest in the game so far and I've done everything but the very last bit. I need to force myself to do that tonight otherwise I fear I'll never finish. Like most games, I tend to get 95-99% through it and then lose interest. Gotta finish this one!

[quote name='Zen Davis']I have a feeling this won't break a million sales in the US.[/quote]Considering the second only sold some 800k, that would hardly be surprising.

[quote name='botticus']Considering the second only sold some 800k, that would hardly be surprising.[/QUOTE]

Considering the utter lack of marketing is more like it. Where's the fucking neon purple Chozo Rush gamer aid sports drink, Nintendo? One of the three big titles of the year, and it gets a whole "Hey, here's a trailer you can download" for its ad campaign. fucking ridiculous.

FINALLY finished! Clocked in at 23:18. I died twice on the final phase of the last boss. I'd definitely say that is harder than Moegenar (or whatever he is). Although on the third time I figured out the "trick" that made it much easier.
The first two times I stayed far back and stunned it (the floating aurora unit) and then never had enough time to run up under and shoot that one little spot underneath. The third time I ran right under there and blasted away - much easier. Though the aiming control for pointing up is definitely the weak part of the game. I would imagine it would be very hard without the advanced controls - stuff always snapping back to the middle and all. Lock helps, but the lock is finicky when the boss is that high and moving around.

I guess I got the "best" ending, having 100% of the pickups. I really don't see what else the ending could have been though :lol:. Does anyone want to spoiler tag the

[quote name='trq']Pretty much. As long as you keep destroying the red orbs he pulls in from the sides of the room before he repairs himself, and you keep absorbing the energy his floaty hand things drop when blown up, you should be able to top yourself up fairly well, to bust out hypermode as needed.[/quote]Bleh, I don't know what you guys did different, but I just fought him for ten minutes and saw exactly one energy charge. Managed to take out three of the four orbs this time, at least. I hope this doesn't turn into one of those bosses that ruins the game for me.

Edit: And thankfully, the next time, he did seem to drop more health, made it a bit easier, up till the last one. Yay, no game-ruining.

Put in some more time last night, picked up the spider ball and headed back to the pirate's homeworld and quit for the night.

Game continues to impress.

I can't scan those damn fire sparrow things in the second level. They move way too fast for me to scan before they crash into me. It's the only enemy thus far I haven't been able to scan. Granted, I'm early on, but I don't wanna keep moving on if I won't have a chance to scan them later.

The 75% ending:
Saumus sitting at Skytown with her helmet off, shows a video montage of Rundas, Ghor, and Gandreya.

The 100%:
Samus strips down to her skivies...I mean zero suit :D , gets on her ship and leaves Skytown. After she passes, a mysterious ship pops up and then warps away as well.

[quote name='Callandor']The 75% ending:
Saumus sitting at Skytown with her helmet off, shows a video montage of Rundas, Ghor, and Gandreya.

The 100%:
Samus strips down to her skivies...I mean zero suit :D , gets on her ship and leaves Skytown. After she passes, a mysterious ship pops up and then warps away as well.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yeah, I figured that last deal might be the 100% "secret". Pretty cool - definitely points to a sequel or a new series or something. I saw the 75% thing also in the 100% ending - so the 100% just gets you the extra bit I guess.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I can't scan those damn fire sparrow things in the second level. They move way too fast for me to scan before they crash into me. It's the only enemy thus far I haven't been able to scan. Granted, I'm early on, but I don't wanna keep moving on if I won't have a chance to scan them later.[/quote]The ones that are in pairs or threes that dive at you from the end of the hall? I've run into them a few times later in Bryyo, but I don't recall if I've had the chance to scan them yet.

[quote name='io']Thanks. Yeah, I figured that last deal might be the 100% "secret". Pretty cool - definitely points to a sequel or a new series or something. I saw the 75% thing also in the 100% ending - so the 100% just gets you the extra bit I guess.[/QUOTE]

My running thought: Metroid Dread. PLEASE be Metroid Dread...

[quote name='botticus']The ones that are in pairs or threes that dive at you from the end of the hall? I've run into them a few times later in Bryyo, but I don't recall if I've had the chance to scan them yet.[/quote]Yup, those bastards. I found another one I can't scan either. I can't get those things that flop out of the fuel gel, either.

On another note, I'm getting a hang of the controls now. I love being able to jump around and still precisely target things. I do wish the turning was a little speedier (I'm using Advanced). I can't imagine how it is in the other control modes.

[quote name='botticus']The ones that are in pairs or threes that dive at you from the end of the hall? I've run into them a few times later in Bryyo, but I don't recall if I've had the chance to scan them yet.[/quote]
Ah, the shriekbats? Those have always been fun. The scanning builds up though so if you partially scan it then the next time will take less time to finish scanning it.

For the shriekbats (and other fast-moving stuff) it's best to try to scan from a distance. If you don't want to get hit you can start scanning and then just jump behind something and just try to keep the reticle in the same are so you don't lose the lock. You can continue scanning when you're behind a wall as long as you start when you can see it (I learned that in the original Prime when scanning turrets :p).

Put in another marathon session tonight, just under 6 hours. Beat the seed in the pirates homeworld, that was probably the easiest major boss yet...

Then I hit up the Chozo observatory since I had all I needed to get all the item locations, and spent the next few hours hunting for pickups. Got them all on Sky Town and Norion, got several on Bryyo but still have a few left there. So next time I'll play I'll try to get those and then work on the pirate world before moving forward.

I'm sitting at 80% with the save around 16:30 (though adding up the play time in the Wii calendar puts it a bit over 27 hours).

Fantastic game, lots to do, long and hasn't gotten boring yet.

The bosses in this game are great so far. I just reached the last(?) one on Bryyo so I'm pretty early on. He's kicked my ass a few times now but I think I've figured him out. Now it's a matter of execution...

Making steady progress in SkyTown... just got the order to
hunt down Ghor.
The string of grapple points gave me fits until I discovered you can turn while swinging.

i still can't beat the end guy on veteran mode. have other people had more success at this. i beat the game on normal, and now i'm on my second run through but i just can't get past the last part. the specific part where i'm having trouble is
on the third part of the boss with the floating head. the only way i'm able to get any significant damage on him is to use my spin attack when he's spinning on the floor and then go around and blast him. when i phase him while he's floating i'm always too far away to attack him, and if i stay close, i can never dodge his weapons. and i always get hit by his lasers, i just can't dodge them well enough.

[quote name='buttle']i still can't beat the end guy on veteran mode. have other people had more success at this. i beat the game on normal, and now i'm on my second run through but i just can't get past the last part. the specific part where i'm having trouble is
on the third part of the boss with the floating head. the only way i'm able to get any significant damage on him is to use my spin attack when he's spinning on the floor and then go around and blast him. when i phase him while he's floating i'm always too far away to attack him, and if i stay close, i can never dodge his weapons. and i always get hit by his lasers, i just can't dodge them well enough.
[/QUOTE]

I lost that fight on normal twice until I changed tactics. I don't know how much harder it is in veteran but maybe this will help:
On my third try I just ran right in front of him. It is easier to blast that thing that comes out to stun him, and then just move under to hit the purple spot for damage. I never once tried to attack him when he was spinning. Also, you can avoid the lasers if you go into morphball and try to roll around directly underneath him. It is hard as you can't see him, but you can judge by where the lasers are. Then I just stayed in morphball after that as he does the spinning thing, When he goes back up I come out of morphball and get under him again for the shots. Oh, and I always used missiles as they do a big chunk of damage at once.

Did a lot more backtracking today than I needed to, apparently. Next time, I'll assume that the first weapon I find is the one I need even if it doesn't seem relevant. But, picked up a few upgrades back on Norion and Bryyo in the process so wasn't a total waste.

Put in a few hours this AM. Samus looks f'n badass with the
acid suit
. Now have the
nova beam
and got through the pirate world part where you're chaperoning the bomb guys. Went back to the observatory and launched a few satellites, including the pirate world one. Haven't yet been to the next pirate area. Got my message already that I completed 75%.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Put in a few hours this AM. Samus looks f'n badass with the
acid suit
. Now have the
nova beam
and got through the pirate world part where you're chaperoning the bomb guys. Went back to the observatory and launched a few satellites, including the pirate world one. Haven't yet been to the next pirate area. Got my message already that I completed 75%.[/QUOTE]

Exactly where I was after last night's marathon.

Put in another 3 hours or so tonight. Picked up all the pickups on Bryyo (including the ice section) and finished the Valhalla mission. Hopefully found everything there, since there's no item satellite for it--but I think I did as I was very thorough.

Sitting at 94% now, save at 18 something (didn't add up the wii log this time, should be a bit over 30 hours total play time). Now just to get the pickups I missed on the Pirate homeworld and then move forward to the end of the game.

bread's done
Back