Metroid Prime 3 post-mortem @ Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy open house

dafunkk12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
openhouseinviteqn2.jpg

For any Orlando, FL, area CAGs, my graduate school program is hosting an Open House event. Along with a tour of the facility, we're hosting Bryan Walker from Retro Studios as he gives a post-mortem on the development of Metroid Prime 3.

Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy is a collaboration of the University of Central Florida and Electronic Arts. We offer real Masters Degrees in Interactive Entertainment in a fast-paced 16-month program, with heavy emphasis on team-based projects.

http://fiea.ucf.edu

I just spoke with our PR director about that. He says he needs to ask if Bryan will let it be recorded, and if so, the school will record it for posting. If things work out favorably, I'll update with links.

The talk was recorded by the school and was ~1.5hrs with Q&A. I'll update with word of links if/when we post it. (It was on our high-def camera, but it's of a Powerpoint presentation, and I'm sure it'll be super-compressed for streaming, so don't look for anything fancy. Though, those pipeline flowcharts with tiny-text would make a lot more sense in high-def.)

Some fun stuff, especially when there was almost a "mutiny" and mass exodus from the company when Nintendo announced the Revolution was just going to be a Gamecube Turbo, before they even knew about the motion control. Apparently the environments were going to be super-ridiculously detailed but had to be reduced by 75% when the bad news came. And apparently the Japanese just called her a "bounty hunter" because they felt it was a cool word; they didn't like when Retro pointed out that we westerners more associate the term with someone like Boba Fett or a mercenary.

[quote name='dafunkk12']
Some fun stuff, especially when there was almost a "mutiny" and mass exodus from the company when Nintendo announced the Revolution was just going to be a Gamecube Turbo, before they even knew about the motion control. Apparently the environments were going to be super-ridiculously detailed but had to be reduced by 75% when the bad news came. [/quote]
Makes you wonder what coulda been.

Here's another fun non-fact: Retro never had any interaction with John Woo's company when he had the rights to the Metroid movie. They didn't even assist with pre-production if it was even ever worked on.

That's something I asked Bryan after the talk, so consider that a bonus tidbit. He also kind of neglected to answer my question about just how much Nintendo, if any, tried to keep on its exec. sales team. However, it was always in the company's mind that they were suffering greatly by not having offices in the Bay Area. A lot of this has to do with Ziff-Davis' presence in the area and not being able to communicate locally.

bread's done
Back