Metroid Prime Trilogy - Out of Print (Thanks, Nintendo!)

[quote name='The Crotch']Where's this $35 price point coming from? I'd still be in for the Metroids, but I don't think I'd double-dip on anything else.

Also, Doomed - is that Calypso I see?[/QUOTE]

3800 yen = $36. I actually think it will launch at a $30 price point, but that's me.

I'm all up for some Metroid love, but I never played Jungle Beat, so I can't say what my chances of picking that up are. Maybe if it has favorable impressions with the new control scheme I will.

Ah.

I'll assume that that 3800 yen figure comes from somewhere and not bother tracking it down 'cause I've gotta get off to TRU and pick up some cheap-ish points cards.

[quote name='The Crotch']Ah.

I'll assume that that 3800 yen figure comes from somewhere and not bother tracking it down 'cause I've gotta get off to TRU and pick up some cheap-ish points cards.[/QUOTE]

It's in the IGN article linked in the first post.;)

[quote name='The Crotch']Ah.

I'll assume that that 3800 yen figure comes from somewhere and not bother tracking it down 'cause I've gotta get off to TRU and pick up some cheap-ish points cards.[/QUOTE]

What's this about cheapish points cards at TRU? Or is this more Canadien necromancy?

[quote name='The Crotch']
Also, Doomed - is that Calypso I see?[/quote]
Maybe. ;) Not 100% on it being my full-time avatar yet.

[quote name='theflicker']What's this about cheapish points cards at TRU? Or is this more Canadien necromancy?[/quote]

'Fraid it looks that way.

EDIT: And I didn't get them today, anyway. I ran into a grocery store on the way and remembered how hungry I was and that I was out of milk. So I bought milk, a bag of perogis, some yogurt, and a roll of duct tape.

EDIT2: Aw, fuck you Yanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not remake games that would really benefit from it?

like n64 games. Starfox 64 and Wave Race 64 with wii graphics would be just the stuff. Mario 64 maybe too.

[quote name='The Crotch']Might have been said already, but it's been confirmed that Pikmin 3 is not a remake.[/QUOTE]

Curses.

I was doing so good at guessing all the new ways Nintendo was going to break the collective spirit of their fans.

Them cheap points might be worth a looksee. Can't really think of any other games I'm interested in that makes the B2G1 all that worthwhile....maybe in a month when we begin sensory overload but not now.

Plus as we shuffle on toward the holimodays, I usually reserve that time to rack up the points by suggesting that as a gift from people who have no clue what to give me.

They can't really screw that up.

[quote name='Strell']Plus as we shuffle on toward the holimodays, I usually reserve that time to rack up the points by suggesting that as a gift from people who have no clue what to give me.

They can't really screw that up.[/QUOTE]

You haven't met my family.

Well this is interesting. I finished Prime 1 a few weeks ago and I thought the controls were perfect for that game. Looking over the controls for Prime 3 (I intend to play them in order), it looks a little restrictive in terms of the availability of the buttons.

So that begs the question: do I go with GC or Wii controls for Prime 2?

Surprised that they're Wii-making Mario Tennis, though. I would've thought with Strikers and Sluggers that a new Wii iteration would be released. On that note, where's Golf?

[quote name='Strell']Curses.

I was doing so good at guessing all the new ways Nintendo was going to break the collective spirit of their fans.
[/QUOTE]
It's good to hear that Pikmin Super Party Fun for the Wii (aka "Pikmin 3") is on its way. The series could use a break from RTS, and Mario Party will enjoy the company.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Well this is interesting. I finished Prime 1 a few weeks ago and I thought the controls were perfect for that game. Looking over the controls for Prime 3 (I intend to play them in order), it looks a little restrictive in terms of the availability of the buttons.

Surprised that they're Wii-making Mario Tennis, though. I would've thought with Strikers and Sluggers that a new Wii iteration would be released. On that note, where's Golf?[/quote]
It raises the question, motherfucker.

I like both, but chances are since MP1 and MP2 were designed for a GC controller, that would be better.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Well this is interesting. I finished Prime 1 a few weeks ago and I thought the controls were perfect for that game. Looking over the controls for Prime 3 (I intend to play them in order), it looks a little restrictive in terms of the availability of the buttons.

Surprised that they're Wii-making Mario Tennis, though. I would've thought with Strikers and Sluggers that a new Wii iteration would be released. On that note, where's Golf?[/quote]
Not restrictive in the least. I vaguely recall some people - okay, dmaul - having trouble bridging the gap between the "A" button and down on the d-pad, but to be fair, dmaul has trouble pushing a button and breathing at the same time.

I hated the controls in Metroid Prime - I couldn't even finish the game.

On the other hand I loved the Metroid Prime 3 controls, it just worked so well. I can't wait to buy the remakes with Wii controls.

I would recommend waiting for the Prime 2 remake.

I bought a bunch of these soon-to-be-remakes over the past year (used and in good shape, including spending $40 on a used copy of Pikmin 2). Also got Luigi's Mansion, Chibi-Robo, both Metroid Primes...

So of course NOW they're getting re-released and possibly "improved". Crap. However, if there's anything (including GC control schemes) missing from the new versions - then regardless of improvements, I'll be glad I bought the originals.

Wind Waker is just amazing. What a triumph of art design, just an amazing game. The style pretty much overrides the drawn-out treasure hunt that mars its second half.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I hated the controls in Metroid Prime - I couldn't even finish the game.

On the other hand I loved the Metroid Prime 3 controls, it just worked so well. I can't wait to buy the remakes with Wii controls.

I would recommend waiting for the Prime 2 remake.[/quote]

I treated Prime 1 like a platformer rather than as an FPS, and I think that's how the game was designed (more about jumping and searching than combat.) Could explain why I had so much trouble with the bosses (where agility and movement is key.)

Maybe the Wii controls will make Prime 2 easier, since I heard it's a lot harder than Prime 1.

Put me down for a Wind Waker remake with 16:9 and Wii controls. I've never bothered buying any Gamecube games for my Wii because I'm too used to wireless controls to bother.

--R.J.

I think everyone would like a 16:9 Wind Waker with PROPER Wii controls, none of this tacked-on Twilight Princess bullshit.

I'm down for MP, MP2, and Pikmin 2. I think I'd rather wait for a real Mario Tennis on Wii than a remake. Although, it is curious why they're just remaking it.

I would probably play through both Wind Waker and Luigi's Mansion if they re-released them with 16:9 and 480p support. I'm a sucker.

[quote name='javeryh']I would probably play through both Wind Waker and Luigi's Mansion if they re-released them with 16:9 and 480p support. I'm a sucker.[/QUOTE]

I'm there with Luigi's Mansion. Possibly Wind Waker too.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think everyone would like a 16:9 Wind Waker with PROPER Wii controls, none of this tacked-on Twilight Princess bullshit.
[/quote]
That's unlikely, since like Twilight Princess Wind Waker was designed for a Gamecube controller, not a Wiimote.

I personally didn't have any problems with the controls in Twilight Princess and I would most likely buy a Wind Waker Wiimake with a similar control scheme.

I know I'm gonna get an earful, but I've been wanting to play Sonic Adventure 1&2 for a while, but my sibs won't let go of them. I'd buy reremakes of those two for $20 a piece.

[quote name='VioletArrows']I know I'm gonna get an earful, but I've been wanting to play Sonic Adventure 1&2 for a while, but my sibs won't let go of them. I'd buy reremakes of those two for $20 a piece.[/quote]
I actually like most of Sonic Adventure and SA2. Although there's plenty to hate. Both have very cheesy and stupid story lines for most of the game, SA has Big the Cat, SA2 has the Tails/Robotnik/Knuckles/Rouge missions and making Knuckles black, both games make Tails even more useless, make use of clichés (oh noes an evil twin!!!), and are impossibly difficult to get 100% completion, I still like them enough to own them.

[quote name='Knoxximus']I would love for them to wii-make Zelda Four Swords Adventure with DS wifi compatibility...that would be teh secks.[/quote]

This. It's nearly impossible to get 4 GBAs, 3 friends, and 4 GBA-GC cables.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']This. It's nearly impossible to get 4 GBAs, 3 friends, and 4 GBA-GC cables.[/quote]
3 friends is easy, three Zelda loving friends is harder, three Zelda loving friends who will play it with you is very difficult. Most I got was 3 including me and we only played one level.

this is fucking terrible

all this will do is kill the value of nice rare gamecube games for collectors such as myself (pikmin2/MGS:TS) and what the hell seriously?

the gamecube bombed so they hope now that the wii is selling that they should bring back old games as if they're new ones?

I can see it now,

the little 12 year olds are like "OMG luigis mansion is the best wii game ever"
"uh it's a GAMECUBE game that came out when you were 5"
"shennnns, liesss, this is a brand new wiiiiiiiiiiiiii gameeeeee!!! the box says 2009 so stfu!!!!!!"

On top of that, unless MP1/2 have upgraded graphics to resemble MP3, 16:9/480p PLUS they bundle BOTH games for $29.99, it would be a rip off.

Boy, nintendo really hates people reselling their old games for profit, so their answer is to re-release them. I hope people don't support this and keep buying gamecube games on ebay for FAR less (mp1 goes for like $5).

On the other hand, maybe having gamecube games remade to bring more attention to them on the wii will help the gamecube resale market. IE, if viewtiful joe or MP1/2 comes out for the Wii for $29.99 then maybe the gamecube counterpart will sell for $10-15 instead of $3-5.

I could see the point remaking LoZ n64 remakes for the cube, since it can't play n64 games but this is plain dumb and a low blow.

nintendo reminds me of that asian guy in little china who grins from ear to ear trying to sell you 4 day old fish as if he just caught it today, even though you can see the flies flying around the rotting fish.

Woah, somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

This aweosme for me because I can not for the life of me find any gamecube games in my area. I was going to order a few online, but I think I'll wait until we get more info on this (price, upgrades, controls, etc)

[quote name='Casiotech']this is fucking terrible

all this will do is kill the value of nice rare gamecube games for collectors such as myself (pikmin2/MGS:TS) and what the hell seriously?
[/QUOTE]

What are all the GC collectors out there supposed to do? They've got kids to feed people! Think about the kids!

[quote name='dothog']What are all the GC collectors out there supposed to do? They've got kids to feed people! Think about the kids![/quote]

I dunno if you collect games or not but how would you like your nice collection of Gamecube games or whatever to be worthless literally overnight when they rerelease games that you spent like $80 to get (such as a sealed fire emblem PoR or sealed pikmin 2) Or how would you feel if you still had sealed copies of those games and you wanted to resell them not to feed your kids, but to buy more games?

yeah I'm sure you don't have valuable games so you don't care but I really think this is low, even for nintendo.

Investing in video games.

Didn't you say somewhere else you've got a few mortgages?

Oh yeah. I hope these sell like hotcakes!

[quote name='Strell']Investing in video games.

Didn't you say somewhere else you've got a few mortgages?

Oh yeah. I hope these sell like hotcakes![/quote]

all my properties with the exception of my primary residence are being leased.

I have been collecting games since i was a kid, I take joy in seeing my old games spanning from the NES-ps3 being worth something unlike the kids who trade all their games away because they can't afford a new game until they sold their old game.

Games are not a worthy investment. The only games that HAVE been are the extremely rare ones you hear about, which tend to be either A) an RPG from the 16 bit era that is still sealed, B) a game obtainable only from a promotional event (such as the NES World Games or whatever they are called), or C) something that just happens to end up being rare due to arbitrary reasons, such as an intentionally low print run.

They are not investment material. There is absolutely no reason to think of them as such. Just because a sealed Chrono Trigger goes for twelve hundred bucks on eBay doesn't magically mean any and all games are somehow a grand new thing to invest in.

Further, I'm pretty sure there's little evidence to support a reprint devaluing previous releases, since there will always be a crowd who wants the original. Since these new ones will no doubt be sold in Wii-colored white boxes, I'm willing to bet the connoisseur gamer might still pay big bucks to nab a Gamecube Pikmin 2.

Lastly, almost no Gamecube game has any value, and the ones that do aren't eclipsing 50-60 bucks a piece right now, and that includes sealed ones.

I'd rather more people get to experience a great game than sit around and feel sorry for the incredibly small minority of people who somehow think they need to only own games that have "value," when they also maintain that they aren't going to sell the games later on. You want to infuse even MORE value into 'em? Play them, share them with friends, convince people to buy them, have children and let them play them too.

Letting them rot on a shelf while you complain about a re-release (which, by the way, is only going to happen more as time goes on with the advent of digital distribution, and newer gamers becoming increasingly less worried about physical copies/manuals/coverart/etc) isn't all that valid when you actually consider all the factors.

You got theeeerved.

Seriously, we're supposed to think this is bad because you paid ridiculous prices for games so they could sit on a shelf? This is a good thing - more people will be able to play these games and that's why people make games, so that people can play them. Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for you.

[quote name='Doomed']3 friends is easy, three Zelda loving friends is harder, three Zelda loving friends who will play it with you is very difficult. Most I got was 3 including me and we only played one level.[/quote]

It'd be cool if FSA was released on Wii where you could use the DS and play with people over NWFC...if they had voice chat.

[quote name='Strell']Games are not a worthy investment. The only games that HAVE been are the extremely rare ones you hear about, which tend to be either A) an RPG from the 16 bit era that is still sealed, B) a game obtainable only from a promotional event (such as the NES World Games or whatever they are called), or C) something that just happens to end up being rare due to arbitrary reasons, such as an intentionally low print run. . . .[/QUOTE]
I'd have settled for a reply about how you had leased his mom (re: the leasing comment). By the hour.

Still, though, you certainly addressed the "games as investment-grade collectible" question.

[quote name='Strell']I was already talking about unworthy investments.[/QUOTE]
Oh ho ho.

Wait, are we talking about his mom or index funds?

[quote name='Strell']Games are not a worthy investment. The only games that HAVE been are the extremely rare ones you hear about, which tend to be either A) an RPG from the 16 bit era that is still sealed, B) a game obtainable only from a promotional event (such as the NES World Games or whatever they are called), or C) something that just happens to end up being rare due to arbitrary reasons, such as an intentionally low print run.

They are not investment material. There is absolutely no reason to think of them as such. Just because a sealed Chrono Trigger goes for twelve hundred bucks on eBay doesn't magically mean any and all games are somehow a grand new thing to invest in.

Further, I'm pretty sure there's little evidence to support a reprint devaluing previous releases, since there will always be a crowd who wants the original. Since these new ones will no doubt be sold in Wii-colored white boxes, I'm willing to bet the connoisseur gamer might still pay big bucks to nab a Gamecube Pikmin 2.

Lastly, almost no Gamecube game has any value, and the ones that do aren't eclipsing 50-60 bucks a piece right now, and that includes sealed ones.

I'd rather more people get to experience a great game than sit around and feel sorry for the incredibly small minority of people who somehow think they need to only own games that have "value," when they also maintain that they aren't going to sell the games later on. You want to infuse even MORE value into 'em? Play them, share them with friends, convince people to buy them, have children and let them play them too.

Letting them rot on a shelf while you complain about a re-release (which, by the way, is only going to happen more as time goes on with the advent of digital distribution, and newer gamers becoming increasingly less worried about physical copies/manuals/coverart/etc) isn't all that valid when you actually consider all the factors.[/quote]

first of all, you have no idea the scale to which I collect and even buy/sell video games. Last year, I sold more than 300 sealed copies of FE: PoR for $65 a piece on amazon/ebay which I purchased for $12 each. Doesn't sound like a bad investment does it? I still have multiple sealed copies of MGS, Pikmin 2, Black Label Sunshine, Windwaker, Ikaruga, Jedi Outcast, Beyond Good and Evil, Eternal Darkness, PoP, the list goes on and on.

Sure many games I own aren't worth more than I paid but NONE are worth less than the prices I find them for, so at worst I break even. I plan to sell 150+ gamecube games this holiday season when prices are at their prime and I've just been upgraded to a gold powerseller. Do you know what that means? I sell a minimum of $10k of items a month for a minimum of 3 months in addition to my amazon sales. As filthy as I find nintendo, after the wii, the gamecube and wii are by far the most profitable platform to sell software on.

And no, an original will not be worth anything if demand flops due to having a newer version come out on the wii. If 30 million wii owners are trying to play pikmin2 for the cube at one time or another and then they release a wii version, that's 30 million less people looking for pikmin for the cube. I doubt any wii owners are 'hardcore' enough to seek out the original gamecube version.

case in point, Twilight Princess is a GAMECUBE game which was 'wiimade' for the wii. The GC sold a pale comparison to the wii version because everyone who has a wii will want the wii version. Same with RE4 for the cube sold 1.6 million copies and has almost sold the same amount for the Wii in 1/3 the time.

what do I expect talking to a bunch of basement dwelling cheap ass'? Of course none of you would know anything about investing or collecting.

oh yeah, whip out the 'your mom' card, since none of you have a better retort.

[quote name='tsmvengy']You got theeeerved.

Seriously, we're supposed to think this is bad because you paid ridiculous prices for games so they could sit on a shelf? This is a good thing - more people will be able to play these games and that's why people make games, so that people can play them. Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for you.[/quote]

I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me. The dying economy hasn't affected me in any way thus far and for that, I'm grateful. If a kid can't afford to pay for a game, I don't think he should be allowed to play it. And I think anyone who pirates games should DIAF!

[quote name='Casiotech']I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me. The dying economy hasn't affected me in any way thus far and for that, I'm grateful. If a kid can't afford to pay for a game, I don't think he should be allowed to play it. And I think anyone who pirates games should DIAF![/quote]
If a person can't play the games he buys, I don't think he should be allowed to sell it.

See? I can be an ass too. Games are a poor investment because the vast majority of them sell for crap. You might get lucky, true. But that's like saying Pokemon cards or Beanie Babies are good investment because sometimes they sell for a high price.

bread's done
Back