Michigan CAGS: Do you want to see the Final Fantasy Concert at the DSO?

except i doubt that Detroit has a chance at getting it seeing as how Chicago has had it

[quote name='Rihan']except i doubt that Detroit has a chance at getting it seeing as how Chicago has had it[/quote]

Representatives from the Detroit, Cincinati and Cleveland Symphonies went to the Chicago show to see if it would be worthwhile to bring the show to thier cities...
the person's email I posted actually made her email public in an attempt to gauge the interest of the Detroit public and to see if it was worthwhile to bring the show to the DSO.

Obviously the DSO has some interest in bringing in the show... if they didn't they wouldn't be asking for feedback.

[quote name='cdeener']JSweeney, where did you find out about this?[/quote]

Sunday's Detroit News/Free Press.

Im torn... I honestly dont give a rats ass about FF in general...but they do have good music...but how likely am i to actually go... argh...

If i can form some nice words later i'll throw an e-mail...it IS video games after all...

HEATHER NEWMAN: Night at the symphony that gamers would dig

February 20, 2005

BY HEATHER NEWMAN
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

The Detroit Symphony Orchestra may be about to add a whole new meaning to scoring in video games -- and metro Detroit gamers might get the chance to attend a really unusual music event.

Kendra Whitlock, programmer of pops events for the DSO, was scheduled to attend a concert of the Chicagoland Pops Orchestra on Saturday night in Rosemont, Ill. On the program: music from the "Final Fantasy" game series. She wasn't alone; symphony programmers from Cincinnati and Cleveland were also expected to check out the show.

Whitlock is enthusiastic about the idea, and assuming that it seems like a good mix, said the DSO could offer a similar concert as soon as this summer. The Chicago event was to include an afterglow party with the composer of the scores, which the DSO would also want to do here if it decided to go ahead with the project.

"When I heard the music, I thought, 'Wow, this would make a good show,' " she said Wednesday. "But sometimes it's better to see it before you get married to it. I'm really excited to see it."

Whitlock is a classically trained musician, no surprise given her position. But her enthusiasm about this concert could have something to do with her secret life as a gamer. She's a big fan of the "Tiger Woods" series and, in an unusual twist, the "Grand Theft Auto" games.

"I know, they're violent. I know, they're not politically correct. But I really like them," she said, laughing.

Whitlock said what she really wants to know is whether Detroit-area gamers would come to this kind of concert. She's so serious about finding out, she gave us her e-mail address and asked us to share it. So if you want to tell her you'd stand in line to attend -- or not -- drop her a line at [email protected].

It said "similar" show. So I doubt it would be the official show - it would be a something put on by the DSO which features videogame music.

[quote name='Machine']It said "similar" show. So I doubt it would be the official show - it would be a something put on by the DSO which features videogame music.[/quote]

Music from, and inspired by, Pokemon

The DSO presents "8 Bit Classics" - Thrill to the bleeps and bloops of such great games as Asteriods, Defender and Missile Command.

After all, it is the DSO - they've been having some budget problems so all they can afford is the public domain stuff.

[quote name='Machine']The DSO presents "8 Bit Classics" - Thrill to the bleeps and bloops of such great games as Asteriods, Defender and Missile Command.

After all, it is the DSO - they've been having some budget problems so all they can afford is the public domain stuff.[/quote]

The thrill of Pong summer event

I saw this on G4tech tv, they made fun of everyone there becasue they were nerds... thing is that the G4 people are nerds too.

The original "Dear Friends" concert actually looked good. I'm just afraid that you'll see a bunch of local symphonies try to cash in by doing videogame music concerts. After all, how else is a symphony going to get people under age 50 to go to a concert? Beethoven and Mozart just don't attract big audiences these days.

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='Machine']The DSO presents "8 Bit Classics" - Thrill to the bleeps and bloops of such great games as Asteriods, Defender and Missile Command.

After all, it is the DSO - they've been having some budget problems so all they can afford is the public domain stuff.[/quote]

The thrill of Pong summer event[/quote]

PacMan Fever- Instrumental :)

bread's done
Back