Mickey Rourke Kisses Oscar Goodbye

lombarvm

CAGiversary!
Mickey Rourke has reportedly agreed to appear at Wrestlemania according to Access Hollywood. This is the equivalent of Eddie Murphy getting snubbed for his Dreamgirls performance by "acting" in Norbit. The Academy is composed of a bunch of ignorant fraks who would love nothing more than to snub Rourke for his WWE appearance.

This fits Rourke's style more than an Oscar.

So fuckin' what? The Oscar is an award on a show full of the most gladhanding, pat-yourself-on-the-back Hollywood prats one can imagine. It's a fucking circle jerk of people who exist in that strange world between straight-to-video releases and not-gonna-hit-the-first-run-theater areas.

So Rourke's snubbing a bunch of pretentious assholes for a bunch of hillbillies. Seems like a six of one/half dozen of the other thing.

[quote name='lombarvm']Mickey Rourke has reportedly agreed to appear at Wrestlemania according to Access Hollywood. This is the equivalent of Eddie Murphy getting snubbed for his Dreamgirls performance by "acting" in Norbit. The Academy is composed of a bunch of ignorant fraks who would love nothing more than to snub Rourke for his WWE appearance.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it'll make a difference, as the Wrestlemania thing isn't happening until after the Oscars. Norbit came out right during the middle of the Oscar voting period. In any case, last night's SAG win for Sean Penn is more of a blow for Mickey's Oscar chances, SAG is mostly (but not always) an indicator of where the acting Oscars will go.

Judging by what Mickey has been wearing to these awards shows, I doubt he gives a crap about what the Academy or anyone else thinks about him.

[quote name='lombarvm']Judging by what Mickey has been wearing to these awards shows, I doubt he gives a crap about what the Academy or anyone else thinks about him.[/quote]

He was dressed in full pimp regalia, complete with cane, on Graham Norton's show last week.

It comes down to this: would he get paid for an Oscar? I doubt he's doing the wrestling thing for free...

Go where the money is. I appreciate that honesty far more than industry mutual masturbation awards...

I think Mickey Rourke couldn't care less about getting an Oscar. No one's expected shit out of him in years, and the critics love his film. A big fat WM payday in front of several thousand wrestling fans that saw his movie just cause it was about wrestling? Much cooler than a bunch of his peers kissing his ass.

Though I'd love for him to say "Suck it, Hollywood" if he wins.

[quote name='JJSP']I think Mickey Rourke couldn't care less about getting an Oscar. No one's expected shit out of him in years, and the critics love his film. A big fat WM payday in front of several thousand wrestling fans that saw his movie just cause it was about wrestling? Much cooler than a bunch of his peers kissing his ass.

Though I'd love for him to say "Suck it, Hollywood" if he wins.[/QUOTE]

Or walloping Y2J with one of those phony Oscars you can buy at stupid novelty stores for the pinfall.

He may have kissed Oscar goodbye but only after several weeks of increasingly risky and degrading sexual adventures, after which nobody can even compare. The thrill is gone and Oscar is left with only memories.

Winning an Oscar makes you richer.. producers are willing to pay quite a bit more for a name that allows them to write "with the Oscar award-winning Mickey Rourke" on the the trailer/poster/DVD slip.

[quote name='Koggit']Winning an Oscar makes you richer.. producers are willing to pay quite a bit more for a name that allows them to write "with the Oscar award-winning Mickey Rourke" on the the trailer/poster/DVD slip.[/quote]
So that's how Cuba Gooding Jr. isn't on the streets...

Personally, I'd be much more interested in a film advertised as including 'renowned lunatic Mickey Rourke.'

Kim Basinger in 9-1/2 Weeks had a far more profound and memorable effect on generations of men, of which only a fraction could correctly answer for what film she got her Oscar.

[quote name='epobirs']Personally, I'd be much more interested in a film advertised as including 'renowned lunatic Mickey Rourke.'

Kim Basinger in 9-1/2 Weeks had a far more profound and memorable effect on generations of men, of which only a fraction could correctly answer for what film she got her Oscar.[/QUOTE]

LA Confidential of course...

As for Cuba Gooding Jr... that guy made a series of bad movie choices

bread's done
Back