Microsoft 2010 E3 - Worst Ever!!!

[quote name='BingoBrown']Eh, for all intents and purposes, Red Dead is pretty much a new franchise. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='BingoBrown']Red Dead Revolver came out in 2004. We got a sequel 6 years later that looks nothing like it, outside of the same developer and western setting. Not really a franchise. 90% of people that bought Red Dead Redemption probably don't even know that Red Dead Revolver exists.[/QUOTE]

Franchise, not a franchise, make up your mind ;)

[quote name='lordopus99']Franchise, not a franchise, make up your mind ;)[/QUOTE]

Okay, clarification. Red Dead Revolver was not a franchise. Clearly, with its massive critical success, Red Dead Redemption is starting a new franchise.

[quote name='OmegaRicochet']After watching Nintendo's conference, I'm curious to know how THAT crow tastes.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit it: Delicious. I'm glad Nintendo was able to actually get on stage and bring it (notice how Cammie wasn't there this year).

[quote name='Fjordson']Doesn't mean it isn't disappointing. I enjoy Call of Duty, Halo and some of the other big franchises. just wish there had been some more surprises. And you forgot Uncharted, Mass Effect, Red Dead and Left 4 Dead. I'm surely forgetting a lot also.

But I agree with you, I guess it shouldn't really be expected for the big name companies to bring out a bunch of surprise IP's. Those big name sequels are basically a license to print lots and lots of money.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to sound like an ass. I agree I wish there were more original IP's or at least support for some of the games I mentioned above. Unfortunately companies would rather spend $50 million advertising Modern Warfare 2 because they know it will bring them money.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Eh, for all intents and purposes, Red Dead is pretty much a new franchise. Yes, there was a game called Red Dead Revolver, but there aren't very many similarities between the two, outside of their developer and setting. It certainly wasn't an established franchise like Halo, Call of Duty, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Grand Theft Auto, etc.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I'm definitely considering Redemption as the start of a new franchise. The two games are so far apart in release date and pretty much the only things linking the two are the setting and the words "Red Dead".

I'm surprised there wasn't a play by play talkback like the other forums and instead we have a "Worst E3 show ever" thread here.

With that being said, it wasn't as good as Sony and Nintendo but I thought Microsoft did okay. Kinect actually looks great .... as a non gaming device. I'm sure a couple of games for it are going to do well (that dance game from Harmonix is the only one I'm interested in), but the idea of using the 360 through vocal commands and visual cues is fascinating and I'm sure other companies are going to incorporate this technology in future Blu Ray players, TV's, and other technology.

Call of Duty looked great along with Metal Gear, but aren't both of those games going to the Playstation as well? It didn't seem like a good idea to open the show with games coming to other consoles.

Plus I don't know what was creepier: Kinectimals or Kinect music defaulting to Justin Bieber.

The new Xbox model looks nice though. Is there any word on whether or not it will run quieter or have less risk of RROD?

The only horrible part about the MS press conference was the painfully rehearsed Kinect stuff. Some of those games look kinda fun, but the dorks who were up there saying their lines really, REALLY annoyed me. Everything else was great. Got to get me a Slim ASAP.

I think the Kinect stuff killed their conference. Completely. And all their pomp and circumstance introducing it. I just see not many people plopping $150 dollars for it and $60 for the games for it. Not going to happen. What momentum they had with Project Natal and all the buzz, was completely wasted and killed by their overreaction in the presentation they gave.
I think MS could recover by having core games with Kinect, but that could be at least 2 years off in the development cycle. By then, it would be too late and Kinect will be clearanced everywhere and cost MS tons of moolah.

$150 for Kinect?

The only way Microsoft can MAYBE survive with a $150 price tag for Kinect is if they bundle Fable 3 with it. Otherwise the consumers will give it the stiff arm. Even soccer moms won't budge. I guarentee it.

[quote name='Josh5890']
The only way Microsoft can MAYBE survive with a $150 price tag for Kinect is if they bundle Fable 3 with it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, MS literally took a giant dump on 30+ million 360 owners right on stage with that pricetag.

Instant failure. This will die faster than the HD-DVD add-on.

[quote name='Corvin']Yep, MS literally took a giant dump on 30+ million 360 owners right on stage with that pricetag.

Instant failure. This will die faster than the HD-DVD add-on.[/QUOTE]

What's really confusing me is that it's the same price as the Xbox 360 Arcade (with 2 free games) on Amazon, but the Kinect is outselling it as well as the new Xbox 360. I know I don't think it's worth $150, but maybe there are actually people that do... I guess we'll see what happens when it's released.

(People pay $99 for Wii Fit and it sold 22.61 million copies. There are also people that over $150 for those Rock Band sets... So who knows.)

You'll have a lot of Wii family/couple wannabe idiots that don't actually have a Wii yet thinking yayyers we can have our Wii and not throw the controller at our tv. Instead we'll just look like flappy retards.

[quote name='KillerRamen']
(People pay $99 for Wii Fit and it sold 22.61 million copies. There are also people that over $150 for those Rock Band sets... So who knows.)[/QUOTE]

You make a very good point but when Wii Fit came out, the Wii was still the hottest thing around so the popularity helped that alot along with the whole fitness fad. And when the first Rock Band set came out, the music genre wasn't completely swamped over yet with a new game every week and Rock Band offered something new, co-op all in one box.

Plus, those two sets also included GAMES. Unless Microsoft forgot to mention something, Kinect dosen't even come with a game? Just an ugly price tag.

[quote name='Corvin']funny, that's a common response to watching soccer. :)[/QUOTE]

Especially this year....fuck me, total fucking bore. Half the nations don't seem to be bothered to kick the fucking ball never mind win the game in other words, France :roll:

I'm expecting a huge marketing push for this thing. Expect to see it on day time talk shows and in magazine that appeal to the casual audience. I've showed a few of the games to people who don't game/casual gamers and they all get excited at the idea of no controller.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm expecting a huge marketing push for this thing. Expect to see it on day time talk shows and in magazine that appeal to the casual audience. I've showed a few of the games to people who don't game/casual gamers and they all get excited at the idea of no controller.[/QUOTE]

They've already done this. Cnet, jimmy fallon & some other stupid shows i can't remember. it's the pre-marketing to generate buzz. it's also how they will decide a price point based on the pre-marketing results.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']The only horrible part about the MS press conference was the painfully rehearsed Kinect stuff. Some of those games look kinda fun, but the dorks who were up there saying their lines really, REALLY annoyed me. Everything else was great. Got to get me a Slim ASAP.[/QUOTE]
That was 80% of the show...

I still think Dance Central is going to be good. It's Harmonix for crying out loud.

Is Kinect going to come with a game or a demo disc? I still like the concept but if they want me to decide between that and a $150 Wii .... well then, I should write a check to Nintendo right now.

Very lame. I have no interest in Kinect at any price (hate motion controls) and there were pretty much no major surprises in game announcements.

Rage looks like it could be good, but otherwise it was all games we already knew about--several I'm excited about. But kind of disappointing to not get any big non-Kinect game announcements etc.

The ESPN3 announcement is the only thing I'm excited about.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corvin']Yep, MS literally took a giant dump on 30+ million 360 owners right on stage with that pricetag.

Instant failure. This will die faster than the HD-DVD add-on.[/QUOTE]

MS only has so much control of the pricetag for Kinect. Speaking of dumped, MS has dumped a ton of money into Kinect's technology. If MS took a dump on 360 owners, it would be because the majority of 360 owners have limited interest in Kinect and that money would be better served developing new IPs to go along with Halo, Fable, Gears, etc.

[quote name='Cage017']I still think Dance Central is going to be good. It's Harmonix for crying out loud.

Is Kinect going to come with a game or a demo disc? I still like the concept but if they want me to decide between that and a $150 Wii .... well then, I should write a check to Nintendo right now.[/QUOTE]

Dance Central is probably going to be the highlight, given the pile of Nintendo rip-offs Microsoft is pushing out there.

Oh, and from what it looks like right now there won't be a pack-in.

I wonder how many older folks will accidentially buy Kinect, not realizing they need a 360 to play it?

I recall hearing about a lot of women buying Wii Fit, not realizing they need a Wii console as well.

It's funny how everyone who breaks down the pricing difference says:

200+ for an Xbox
150 for Kinect

or

200 for a Wii

you're forgetting about the millions of people that already have an Xbox, so for us it's just 150 as opposed to 200 for a Wii (if you don't own one), in which case anyone who owns and xbox but doesn't own a Wii is definatly saving money by going the Kinect route.

I however, have a Wii, barely/never use it and wouldn't spend $150 Kinect even if I didn't own a Wii, because I feel like that's way overpriced for a Microsoft Sensor Bar. But I will say, the graphics for the games look pretty impressive, way better than Wii graphics, navigating hands free (or by moving your hands>_

bread's done
Back