Microsoft E3 2012 Discussion

[quote name='Sonne']Yeah, like was mentioned- it's more Nintendo catching up than getting a lead.

I don't want MSFT or Sony to be rushing to market with a new console, just because. I feel like Sony is going to be smart enough to sit back and wait a bit, but I don't know about MSFT. It would be advantageous for them to milk their HUGE consumer base for 2-3 more years before taking the next leap. That's what I'd hope for. There's still a lot that can be done in this current gen.

And as a CAG, do we really want to be buying new consoles?[/QUOTE]

Part of what I was looking forward to was seeing how they justify their new consoles...what can they do that they can't do now. And that's ultimately what I wanted to see...something new.

I thought the Spinter Cell gameplay looked awesome. I love Splinter Cell, both old and new, and I am very excited to play this. I guess I'm in the minority?

Uncharted who? DAMN Tomb Raider looked so amazing. I might even say that demo was more thrilling and more awesome than the whole uncharted 3 game. I cant wait to get my hands on Tomb Raider.

I would say the best thing i saw was Tomb Raider, then Gears of War trailer (just because im a huge gears fan) and 3rd halo 4 looked pretty sweet.

At the end i thought the dude who was hyping a game up was gunna say first DLC on XBOX, GTA V!!! But instead gave us Blops 2 :( Yeah that was disappointing. Im interested in seeing Blops 2 MP, but single player campaign i could care less about. It was kind of boring to watch too.

Thats about all i got excited about as for games. Dont care about forza, splinter cell, kinect junk, dancing games. But i did like that XBox will be getting NBA league pass. The NBA is one sport thats hard to watch if you dont have cable tv like me.

Stuff like Smartglass i dont care about. I dont even know how many people would actually use that. When i watch a movie i sit at the same tv for the whole thing. Never did i say, man i wish i could watch the rest on my phone, or small tablet, not even on another tv.

Overall it was okay i guess. Not as bad as some, but no really big surprises.

[quote name='mightymek']I thought the Spinter Cell gameplay looked awesome. I love Splinter Cell, both old and new, and I am very excited to play this. I guess I'm in the minority?[/QUOTE]

You're not the only one. Soon as I saw the Prepare & Execute markers pop up I was "OMG SPLINTER CELL, WWWOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!" I so cannot wait for it to release. Day one purchase right there. I am hugely disappointed that Michael Ironside isn't voicing Fisher in Blacklist. Just not going to be the same Sam.

Dullsville. Sequels, sequels, sequels, rinse, repeat. Nothing new, certainly nothing groundbreaking out of that whole show. The Spike panel were rightly pointing out that there were no new franchises and almost nothing for Kinect that came out of that press briefing.

I also agree the industry feels like it's in a rut...but I also think the door is once again opening for Nintendo to be in the right place at the right time. Yes, their new console might be more about them catching up technologically -- but in terms of innovation, MS didn't show anything today in that regard. Same old games with a fresh coat of paint. VERY disappointing.

[quote name='mightymek']I thought the Spinter Cell gameplay looked awesome. I love Splinter Cell, both old and new, and I am very excited to play this. I guess I'm in the minority?[/QUOTE]

Nope I thought the game looked awesome. I am not sure why Stealth has to be if you are seen for 1 millisecond you have to start over. I hate that actually. Stealth combined with bad ass take downs and some action is perfect in my opinion.

[quote name='matrix9280']Must be that time of the month with all the whining bitches in this thread. Just shut the fuck up.[/QUOTE]

I driving back from Subway thinking it is so nice that my biggest issue is bitching about video games...I need perspective sometimes.

[quote name='matrix9280']Must be that time of the month with all the whining bitches in this thread. Just shut the fuck up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, let's further reinforce Xbox is nothing but shooters and Madden and UNIVISION.

Enjoy your novellas that you can't understand. Ask Kinect to translate for you because that's all it's good for now: an overpriced-as-fuck microphone.

Three minute warning until EA's conference!

Did I just say.. THREE MINUTES?

2qjiyar.jpg

Also, just revealed: Forza is set in an open world Colorado. The backdrop is a music festival.

Favorites! Like finally! Why didn't they mention it?

Favorites. This is another request we’ve heard frequently. Favorites allows you to personalize the dashboard by saving your movies, TV, games, music and the web right to the home screen in the dashboard. Favorites will make it easier and faster than ever to get to your favorite content on Xbox and Xbox LIVE.

Finally can put our favorite games on the dashboard so they never get buried? Yeah! Well, presuming they didn't screw the effort up.

I liked this years presentation, nothing surprising, but great lineup. Halo 4, Black Ops II, Gears Of War Judgement, Tomb Raider...all look excellent along with the rest of the lineup.

XBOX Smartglass looks awesome too.

GODDAMN MADDEN TRAILER AFTER DEAD SPACE! I Heard the small bit of piano keys and I thought it was the Mirror's Edge theme and got goosebumps...WRONG!

DEAD SPACE 3 fuck YEAH!

Looks like the assault rifle has pretty much replaced the plasma cutter... though I'm sure there are some quieter moments in the game too. It looked fun, that's for sure.

Ellie
had two eyes?!

[quote name='cancerman1120']Nope I thought the game looked awesome. I am not sure why Stealth has to be if you are seen for 1 millisecond you have to start over. I hate that actually. Stealth combined with bad ass take downs and some action is perfect in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's because I don't play Stealth games very much, but don't they usually require some amount of stealth? I watched that trailer too, and I saw virtually none of that. Just regular run and gunning against downright incompetent enemy AI with automatic bullet time where Sam shoots everything so you don't have to, ending in a CINEMATIC TAKEDOWN for no other reason than visual flair (which again, kinda defeats the purpose of being stealthy). And to top it off, Sam calls in a damn missile strike? Blending stealth and action is one thing, but the game clearly blows any pretensions of stealth being at all important with that.

I missed the very beginning. Someone tweeted that EA basically started the conference justifying DLC...anyone care to summarize what they said?

[quote name='cancerman1120']I missed the very beginning. Someone tweeted that EA basically started the conference justifying DLC...anyone care to summarize what they said?[/QUOTE]

It was something to the effect of "Used to be, when you buy a game, that was what you got. Now, when a game ships, we don't stop creating"

Aaaand that's pretty much all for me with EA's conference. Don't care about sports games, no BioWare appearances, and Medal of Honor is a "maybe in a couple years when I can find it for $10 or less."

[quote name='Salamando3000']It was something to the effect of "Used to be, when you buy a game, that was what you got. Now, when a game ships, we don't stop creating"[/QUOTE]

That's very true. They don't stop creating because the games ship before they're finished now. ( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/ \

[quote name='Salamando3000']It was something to the effect of "Used to be, when you buy a game, that was what you got. Now, when a game ships, we don't stop creating"[/QUOTE]

Got it. Yeah it was pretty disheartening that so much of the MS conference was the DLC 1st on the 360...um lets get that game out before you talk about stuff you decided to leave out.

Holy crap, THQ lost the UFC license, EA now has it locked into a multi-year agreement

/edit: Confirmed

THQ AND ZUFFA ANNOUNCE TRANSFER OF ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP

VIDEOGAME LICENSE AGREEMENT

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. & LAS VEGAS, Nev., June 4, 2012 – THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) and Zuffa, LLC, today announced that they have reached an agreement to transfer THQ’s exclusive, worldwide license with Zuffa to publish videogames based on the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®) brand to Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA), effective today, in exchange for an undisclosed cash payment to THQ.

“Over the last three years, THQ has delivered best-in-class, all-encompassing experiences to MMA fans, sports enthusiasts and fighting gamers around the globe with its UFC Undisputed™ series. We want to thank them for their stewardship of our brand," said Lorenzo Fertitta, Chairman and CEO of Zuffa. “We look forward to joining forces with EA to leverage their sports platform, and expand our brand in the video game space.”

Brian Farrell, THQ’s Chairman and CEO, commented, “We have relished our relationship with UFC over the last several years and believe that the UFC gaming brand is in great shape. THQ’s more focused strategy moving forward meant that transferring the license to EA made sense to all parties. We would like to thank UFC for their great support and partnership and wish EA all the best moving forward.”

About Ultimate Fighting Championship®

Owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC, and headquartered in Las Vegas, Nev., UFC® is the world’s premier MMA organization and produces over 12 UFC live Pay-Per-View events annually around the globe. In 2012, FOX will broadcast four fights annually. In spring 2012, The Ultimate Fighter®, UFC’s signature weekly reality TV show, debuts on FX. UFC content is also distributed commercially to bars and restaurants through Joe Hand Promotions in the U.S. Globally, UFC programming is broadcast in over 149 countries and territories, reaching a half a billion homes worldwide, in 20 different languages.

UFC® also boasts a powerful presence online, with UFC.com attracting over seven million unique visitors per month, while also possessing one of the most powerful social media followings in all of professional sports. To date, UFC has over six million fans on Facebook and over 400,000 followers on Twitter. In addition, UFC President Dana White is one of the most accessible and most followed executives in sports with more than 1.7 million followers on Twitter. On January 22, 2011, UFC continued to set trends in social media, becoming the first major sports league to stream live, broadcast quality action on Facebook.

Ancillary businesses include best-selling DVDs, a magazine, the best-selling UFC “Undisputed” videogame franchise distributed by THQ, UFC GYM®, UFC Fight Club affinity program, UFC Fan Expo® festivals, branded apparel, trading cards, and articulated action figures.

About THQ

THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) is a leading worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software. The company develops its products for all popular game systems, personal computers, wireless devices and the Internet. Headquartered in Los Angeles County, California, THQ sells product through its global network of offices located throughout North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. More information about THQ and its products may be found at http://www.thq.com/. THQ and its logo are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of THQ Inc.

THQ Inc. Caution Concerning Forward-Looking Statements

This press release contains statements that are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, estimates and projections about the business of THQ Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively referred to as "THQ"), including, but not limited to, expectations with respect to the transfer of the UFC license from THQ to Electronic Arts. These statements are based upon management's current beliefs and certain assumptions made by management. Such forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, business, competitive, economic, legal, political, and technological factors affecting our industry, operations, markets, products, or pricing. Readers should carefully review the risk factors and the information that could materially affect THQ's financial results, described in other documents that THQ files from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal period ended March 31, 2011 and subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, and particularly the discussion of trends and risk factors set forth therein. Unless otherwise required by law, THQ disclaims any obligation to update its view on any such risks or uncertainties or to revise or publicly release the results of any revision to these forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release.

[quote name='Scorch']Holy crap, THQ lost the UFC license, EA now has it locked into a multi-year agreement[/QUOTE]
Kinda hypocritical of Dana White he shits on EA but lets them buy the rights or maybe it wasn't his call.

[quote name='GUNNM']Kinda hypocritical of Dana White he shits on EA but lets them buy the rights or maybe it wasn't his call.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was interesting as well. I guess the money was right this time.

[quote name='KingBroly']Metroid Prime 4 looked good. I wish Nintendo was making it though.

In all seriousness, this whole thing has sucked.[/QUOTE]

really? halo 4 looked awesome. so did splinter cell. tomb raider. south park. forza horizon. lots of good times ahead.

and I'm a bigger sports junkie than gamer so good times indeed...

[quote name='KrizB']I must've heard things wrong then when they said to leave the keyboard on the computer and use your Kinect or phone/tablet.[/QUOTE]

because he's saying that keyboards are necessary. not that you can't use them. you've always been able to use your USB keyboards on the 360. that's what I use when I need to write a lot of messages (chatpad is too slow for more than a msg or two).

[quote name='bardockkun']I Loved Conviction (especially the co-op mode) so without a doubt I am excited for Black List.[/QUOTE]

I'll get it that's for sure. I'm wondering if the controls will be like conviction.

So, open with Halo 4 (obviously, but still awesome) then a new Splinter Cell which is great. Looks like Assassin's Creed I think from Fisher's movements up walls / buildings but I guess thats okay. Wish it went back to the more stealthy gameplay in 1-3 but still cool.

..Then literally next 1.30 hours is a snooze fest.. It was pretty bad, Usher was laughable. They played a trailer for a new Gears game then nothing else? Isn't that a pretty big deal?

Black Ops 2 was boring for me, as i'm pretty much over the series now.

Nintendo and Sony literally have to do nothing to have a better conferences than Microsoft.

[quote name='dirtyvu']really? halo 4 looked awesome. so did splinter cell. tomb raider. south park. forza horizon. lots of good times ahead.

and I'm a bigger sports junkie than gamer so good times indeed...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Halo 4 did look good. It just looked A LOT like Metroid Prime.

Splinter Cell looked like a linear cooridor stealth game that turned into a Gears clone later on.

Tomb Raider...looked like a cooridor bow and arrow simulator with loads of QTE's and scripted sequences, devoid of any real platforming or exploration. Completely unimpressed.

South part looked GREAT. By far the best part of that show, you'd if you read 2 posts down from that.

Forza...I have nothing against Forza, but it just does nothing for me.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I liked this years presentation, nothing surprising, but great lineup. Halo 4, Black Ops II, Gears Of War Judgement, Tomb Raider...all look excellent along with the rest of the lineup.[/QUOTE]

Aside from Judgement, you've known those games were coming months, even more than a year ago.
Nah, that's not exciting to me.

Wtf @ Splinter Cell. No MICHAEL IRONSIDE????

New Forza is hopefully going to be TDU2 done right. TDU2 was a mess in terms of pretty much everything, but this forces me to finish TDU2 in anticipation of the new TDU (Forza)

Halo 4 looked great. As in my other comment Metroid Prime + Halo = Halo 4. Hell one of Prime's lead designers is supposedly working on the project.

[quote name='saunderscowie']
Nintendo and Sony literally have to do nothing to have a better conferences than Microsoft.[/QUOTE]
I don't think there was many moments where I was glued to my screen during the conference besides halo 4 and SC Blacklist. Majority of Microsoft's E3 conference is kinect integrated games and multimedia integration with other apps/devices.

No surprise games, and no mention of the next xbox. :drool:

It was a decent show. I'm looking forward to LocoCycle and the South Park game the most. Forza Horizon could be interesting, but they didn't show much so I'm not sure what the festival aspect of it is. If it was Forza meets MotorStorm, that could be interesting. I was surprised that any XBLA games were shown since I figured the show would be split up between apps, retail, and Kinect.

It looked like they're changing the dashboard again by adding a third row of spots on each of the tabs if I'm remembering correctly. I hope the performance improvements mentioned by Microsoft will fix as many of the issues with the current dashboard as they can.

[quote name='KingBroly']

Tomb Raider...looked like a cooridor bow and arrow simulator with loads of QTE's and scripted sequences, devoid of any real platforming or exploration. Completely unimpressed.[/QUOTE]

Im guessing that was just one small part of the game. Im sure there will be other parts of the game where you can explore, and climb stuff like normal TR games. I thought the demo was awesome.

[quote name='Aisha Taylor']Even the girls were checking out the girls. Admit it! We're all a little gay.[/quote]

Wow.

Also, boobs in the Far Cry 3 preview. Lots of 'em. Surprised they showed them.

And an f bomb!

Two Three Four Five Six Seven Eight.. at least three of which were mother fucker

Read something very interesting re Dead Space 3 on Neogaf. It's not going the Resident Evil 5 route for single player/co-op. When you're playing alone, the partner character is not present. The story and cutscenes change depending on whether there's another player there or not. And it is drop in/drop out co-op.

Thank you dude I thought I was the only person sick of the whining.
I'm happy with what was shown. Looking forward to SC Tomb Raider and Halo 4.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yeah, Halo 4 did look good. It just looked A LOT like Metroid Prime.

[/QUOTE]

The new enemies do look like ones from Prime but I'm looking forward to it either way. Halo 3 was kind of a dud for me but this game looks promising.

I know enough to avoid watching MS's conferences but at least it seems like it was hell of a lot better than the Kinect focused shows of the prior two years.

[quote name='Scorch']Wow.

Also, boobs in the Far Cry 3 preview. Lots of 'em. Surprised they showed them.

And an f bomb!

Two Three Four Five Six Seven Eight.. at least three of which were mother fucker[/QUOTE]
There were a few in Dead Space 3 gameplay if I remember right as well. Meaning F bombs, unless I missed a necromoprh titty somewhere.

And each time I close my eyes I imagine each of Aisha Tyler's sentences ending with "DAMMIT ARCHER!"

Does anyone know of a good summary site for the MS conference? It seems like they showed a million things but everyone's either bitching about Usher or jizzing over Halo 4.

[quote name='bardockkun']

And each time I close my eyes I imagine each of Aisha Tyler's sentences ending with "DAMMIT ARCHER!"[/QUOTE]

:lol: Gotta love Archer.

Gerstmann said it best on Twitter.

I think people getting all disappointed by this year's press conferences probably need a history lesson on what end-of-cycle E3s looks like.

Yes the MS presentation was lacking, but some of you guys are fucking ridiculous. Get over it. It's not gonna be megaton every year. Next year we'll have plenty of holy shit moments.

bread's done
Back