Microsoft Office currupt somehow. Telling me to run CHKDSK, which won't work. Help...

Sofa King Kool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Title pretty much says it all, but a more detailed version:

I believe I was just watching some TV when in my peripheral I saw my laptop screen flash, or something. I'm not really sure what it did, but it went all wonkey for a moment. I really can't explain it, but I went to go check it out and the only problem seemed to be that my background image was a fraction of an inch smaller on the left and right sides. Also, ever since then, Microsoft Office has been acting a little weird. I can still run Word (that's all I've tried), but only if I open some of my saved work and start a new sheet from there. The icon I was using in the start menu is just...gone. On top of all that, Word frequently tells me that there's something wrong with the "Normal" template.

I really have no idea what happened. This weird screen flash thing just happened out of the blue, and Office has been fucked ever since. SpyBot is telling me that Office is corrupt and I need to run CHKDSK. I have no idea how to do that. Though, I'm a little more concerned with the question "What the hell was that weird flash/wonkey screen thing?" I did a scan and found nothing.

I'm worried something bad is going to happen, like suddenly losing my work. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
check disk does exactly what it says. checks your disk for bad sectors and if you tell it to, it tries to repair them/recover information.

open command prompt and type chkdsk

takes for-fucking-ever and you can't have anything open from that disk.

I dunno why SpyBot would say that unless it thought your hard drive was corrupt. Just uninstall/reinstall MS Office unless running check disk does turn up some issues. Then you might need a new hard drive or to format.

Also, since you're a lazy fuck:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Do you have an antivirus? Something like Spybot is good for malware and adware, but you need a good antivirus as well. I recommend Avast -- it's free, and it's got a boot-time scan feature.

As for CHKDSK -- open My Computer, right click your C drive, click Properties, and then the Tools tab. It's the first option, under Error-Checking. Select both options in there, and click Start. You're probably going to have to reboot the machine to let it run.

[quote name='PR Mega X']As for CHKDSK -- open My Computer, right click your C drive, click Properties, and then the Tools tab. It's the first option, under Error-Checking. Select both options in there, and click Start. You're probably going to have to reboot the machine to let it run.[/QUOTE]

I rebooted, and it's still telling me I can't use it while the disk is in use.

[quote name='crystalklear64']start backing important stuff up imo better safe than sorry[/QUOTE]

I want to, but I have nothing to back it up on...

My brother told me to defragment. Doing it now.

[quote name='crystalklear64']lol?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I cannot for the life of me to get check disk to run.

run msconfig from the start menu.

go to the boot tab.

tick safe boot.

restart.

it'll run check disk and boot into safe mode.

when its done, do the same thing and uncheck the box and restart.

[quote name='crystalklear64']run msconfig from the start menu.

go to the boot tab.

tick safe boot.

restart.

it'll run check disk and boot into safe mode.

when its done, do the same thing and uncheck the box and restart.[/QUOTE]

Just tried it twice. Check didn't run.

[quote name='crystalklear64']did it say something along the lines of it did not find any integrity violations?[/QUOTE]

It didn't say anything. It just reached 100%, lingered for a moment, then closed.

Btw, this is the message SpyBot is giving me:

chkdsk.jpg

open up your command prompt again. cmd @ start

paste the following into it:
sfc /SCANFILE="C:\Windows\System32\chkdsk.exe"

See what it says.

(we're making sure your chkdsk isn't fucked before i try to force it)

you typed SCABFILE, not scanfile..

and you had an apostrophe instead of a slash after system32.

just copy what i typed, right click in command prompt and paste it >.>

[quote name='crystalklear64']you typed SCABFILE, not scanfile..

and you had an apostrophe instead of a slash after system32.

just copy what i typed, right click in command prompt and paste it >.>[/QUOTE]

#-o

Sorry. It wouldn't let me paste so I tried typing it myself. Trying again.

right.

in command prompt type the following:
chkntfs /d

next, type:
fsutil dirty set c:

afterwards type:
chkntfs /c c:

when you have done this type:
shutdown -r -t 0

This will shutdown your computer and restart it. Quickly.

If that doesn't get it to run, I dunno what to tell ya.

[quote name='crystalklear64']right.

in command prompt type the following:
chkntfs /d[/QUOTE]

Mmm'kay. I got an allow/deny change prompt from SpyBot. I allowed it.

if you want to know what exactly this is doing:
i'm resetting the defaults with /d

marking your c: as "dirty" as in needing a check

/c tells the comp to check dirty disks at boot

the restart is just for shits. you could go to start menu and restart if you want.

[quote name='crystalklear64']if you want to know what exactly this is doing:
i'm resetting the defaults with /d

marking your c: as "dirty" as in needing a check

/c tells the comp to check dirty disks at boot

the restart is just for shits. you could go to start menu and restart if you want.[/QUOTE]

Alright. Restarting now.

ok from start menu:

type regedit

in the registry, go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
SessionManager (double click on this)

in the pane on the right you should see BootExecute right under Default.

[quote name='crystalklear64']ok from start menu:

type regedit

in the registry, go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
SessionManager (double click on this)

in the pane on the right you should see BootExecute right under Default.[/QUOTE]

I see it.

Oh, hold on.

assuming you have ad-aware installed that's exactly what it should be. so that was a lot of work for nothing : /

alright something else you can try if you have your vista disks.

boot off the cd, skip the automated recover thing. look for an option to repair your installation from the disks themselves.

[quote name='crystalklear64']assuming you have ad-aware installed that's exactly what it should be. so that was a lot of work for nothing : /

alright something else you can try if you have your vista disks.

boot off the cd, skip the automated recover thing. look for an option to repair your installation from the disks themselves.[/QUOTE]

Vista came pre-installed. No disks :(

[quote name='crystalklear64']i dunno what else to suggest other than trying a system restore which you hopefully have turned on.[/QUOTE]

Alright. I'll look into that tomorrow, then. I think I know a guy that might have a few answers, so I'll give him a call too.

Seriously, thank you for the help. I can't believe you stayed this long. I appreciate it.

bread's done
Back