Microsoft Store (B&M) - Free $20 Gift Card YMMV?

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
$20 promotion is not confirmed by others yet.

Apparently you can take a short lesson/class on Windows 8 and upon finishing it you receive a $20 gift card.

[quote name='dennisb407']Went to the MS store at 6am this morning to be one of the first 100 people in line to get the $99.99 Xbox Music Pass card and to check out the debut of the Surface tablet.

First time at the MS store because it's at a large mall that's mainly tourists so I try to avoid it all costs. I went early cause Im used to chaotic Apple events but the lines at MS didnt build up til 9am area. After opening they held an approx. 35 minute class on Windows 8, just 3 people and myself sat down to listen to speaker in a store full of people lol, but afterwards I received a $20 giftcard

I think the classes my be going on all week, every hour on the hour.[/QUOTE]

Old Information about Bing vs. Google challenge.
Went to the Microsoft Store today at Valley Fair Mall, San Jose CA. I did the Bing vs. Google challenge and was given a gift card voucher upon completion. It's worth 25 dollars and no minimum purchase required. The vouchers are good in store only and until the 25th of October.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY'] These are some of the better options I think other than pts or live gold cards. Seems like the South Coast Plaza store wont be "getting" any until friday. That is if they sell them in store.

4 Eneloop AA (AAA same price) $11
16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
8gb flash (fancy or something) $25
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
wireless keyboard 2000 $30
Samsung 55" LED HDTV $4000
HP large surge $25
Monster portable surge (3 outlets and usb, interesting) $25
weird usb home/car charger thing $30
Telephone headset for smartphone (girlfriend has been wanting one of these) $30
razer mousepad $35
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='V4oLDbOY']wait, online my store says they are going on for a while. Getting to know your windows device right?

How would they know if you bought one? I think they might have been confused about something else (the $15 upgrade offer is the date they told you, I dont know...) as that makes little to no sense. What about people who upgraded to win 8 or bought a win 8 device? Isn't that class/deal designed for them.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I could go today. Should I?

So I called. They said they'll be having classes for a couple weeks. Went today anyway. Got a card. She said it was $25. Might try again. 30 minutes long. This was at the Galleria in Houston.

I sat thru the whole hour listening to the guy talk, this couple comes in I swear on his last sentence and sat down and they received a gift card too lol I was pissed haha

[quote name='Xerxes']So I called. They said they'll be having classes for a couple weeks. Went today anyway. Got a card. She said it was $25. Might try again. 30 minutes long. This was at the Galleria in Houston.[/QUOTE]

OK, glad. I'm planning on going tomorrow with my gf. I would go on my own, but the south coast store has recognized me several times already. I want to get two gift cards so if I go alone I wouldn't ask my gf to go. BUt if we go together we each get one. If it works I'll tell my parents to do it, they actually did the bing it on a few times and the coupons they didn't use they gave to me. They just got wireless mice and car chargers.

If we do each get one that would pay off AC3 including the Forza preorder GC.

[quote name='Xerxes']So I called. They said they'll be having classes for a couple weeks. Went today anyway. Got a card. She said it was $25. Might try again. 30 minutes long. This was at the Galleria in Houston.[/QUOTE]

Is there any other day that they are doing it?

[quote name='LegendaryEnigma']Is there any other day that they are doing it?[/QUOTE]

I'd say call. The said weeks, but that means very little.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']OK, glad. I'm planning on going tomorrow with my gf. I would go on my own, but the south coast store has recognized me several times already. I want to get two gift cards so if I go alone I wouldn't ask my gf to go. BUt if we go together we each get one. If it works I'll tell my parents to do it, they actually did the bing it on a few times and the coupons they didn't use they gave to me. They just got wireless mice and car chargers.

If we do each get one that would pay off AC3 including the Forza preorder GC.[/QUOTE]

I got this for the Assassin's Creed preorder. I might try and slide in a class Tuesday when I pick it up for my Halo order. If it's going on that is. I feel like maybe I should shave my goatee and wear a cap.

I'm gonna stop by the South Coast store today. Just going to ask if they have the classes, then ask if I get anything for participating. Even if they say no I might just do it and see. Worth a shot for $40 off AC3.

Are the class schedules posted online accurate? It says there is a class at 3pm, planning on going to that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I'd say it's best to call still. My store only had it listed until yesterday but they told me over the phone that the promotion would be going on for weeks. I didn't ask him to clarify because I was really concerned about going yesterday to even see if it was real.

Tomorrow after I'll try to go in time enough to try and grab another one. Like 15 minutes after the hour so I can just slide in there. But I probably wouldn't ask for more info at the risk of "Hey you already been here."

Stopped by after work. I was told that the workshop where you get the gift card starts at a later date and that she didn't know when exactly it is. So don't go to the south coast store yet until its confirmed there. I hope it happens before halo 4 as that's the last thing I plan to buy there.

For those who got a gift card what is the exact name of the workshop so I can ask when that starts at the south coast store?

Haven't been able to pick up AC3 yet, but I have the day off tomorrow so I'm going to pick it up. I'll ask again about the $20 class/workshop and see what's up with it.

The cashier acknowledged that there was a $20 offer, but it hadn't started yet. So hoping I might be able to get one soon to use on Halo 4.

Anyone else have any updates on this? I know a few people got in on the deal, but it seems much more YMMV store to store than the bing it on deal.

called my store today, lady didnt know if there were giveaways.
i think im gunna ballz up and go in tomorrow, i need to get halo 4 for reeel cheap

[quote name='Xerxes']Seen this pop up on MS Store Face book page.
http://content.microsoftstore.com/store/surface/

"Getting to Know your Windows Device" is the class that got me the $20 GC. Only a few going on today and tomorrow. Tempted to run over there. But one guy knows my face a little too well. Too friendly. Don't like that when dealing. :p[/QUOTE]

I read the description and it sounded like that was for people that just bought a Windows 8 device. There is another class listed that is an Intro to Windows 8, but it's only on weekday afternoons at the local MS Store.

[quote name='Xerxes']Seen this pop up on MS Store Face book page.
http://content.microsoftstore.com/store/surface/

"Getting to Know your Windows Device" is the class that got me the $20 GC. Only a few going on today and tomorrow. Tempted to run over there. But one guy knows my face a little too well. Too friendly. Don't like that when dealing. :p[/QUOTE]
[quote name='bojay1997']I read the description and it sounded like that was for people that just bought a Windows 8 device. There is another class listed that is an Intro to Windows 8, but it's only on weekday afternoons at the local MS Store.[/QUOTE]
I had thought it was the "Getting to Know your Windows Device" too; I was planning to go tomorrow/today. Anyone else able to weigh in?

And a note, my friend (who did not research and went only because I mentioned it) went to the Intro to Windows 8 one, and he argued to get a gift card (which they reluctantly gave him $10)...so I think he just fucked up and wasn't even supposed to get one...(ie, I don't think its the Windows 8 class for the $20)

Okay so I picked up my AC3 preorder today. Asked again about the $20 gift card class adn was told this. He seemed like he didn't know exactly, but at least I got this much. This is the South Coast store so it seems this is a YMMV deal, similar to the bing it on one, but most stores offered that and allowed it to be used on pts cards.

The class they have right now, "Getting to Know Your Windows Device" gets your some book. Forgot what its called, but he knew exactly what it was and said "Yeah, everyone who does the class gets the XXX book" That class was starting at 6pm, a few minutes after I came, but I didn't want to stick around for the chance I might get $20. Time is worth more, if I knew I'd get one, hell yeah I sit through it.

When I mentioned the gift card he said "Oh, that one starts at a later date, not sure when. But I think you have to have purchased a Windows 8 device for that one"

Not sure what he meant by that. Is it just a Windows 8 class? Or do you actually need to have boughten a Windows 8 device at the store? I would assume its jut implied you bought one since that would be sort of weird having people bring in their receipts.

Or I guess maybe they want you to bring in your Surface tablet to the class, thats how they know. I dont know. I want that $20 GC.

I'm still going to pick up Halo 4 there since With the bing it on and the $10 GC from AC3 it'll be $40 plus the $25 GC. Still not bad, but $20 with this deal would be even nicer

p.s. Anyone hear anything about the Halo 4 midnight events? Someone mentioned that they would be giving away $25 coupons or something in the bing it on thread. Maybe they meant they would give away prizes similar to the Dance Central 3 launch night where they had a raffle.

I'd also like to know about the Halo midnight. I'm going today to switch over my AC3 pre-order to one for Halo 4, so I'll ask about if anything is planned (my store is in a mall, so idk how that works).

Looking at the link to store events, there's a bunch called "Getting to know your Windows Device" and on a couple days during the week, there's one called "Surface: A New Type of Computing". Could that be the one? Holding it at 4PM on a Monday is obnoxious, but I have vacation next week so I could look into it if there's another one.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Okay so I picked up my AC3 preorder today. Asked again about the $20 gift card class adn was told this. He seemed like he didn't know exactly, but at least I got this much. This is the South Coast store so it seems this is a YMMV deal, similar to the bing it on one, but most stores offered that and allowed it to be used on pts cards.

The class they have right now, "Getting to Know Your Windows Device" gets your some book. Forgot what its called, but he knew exactly what it was and said "Yeah, everyone who does the class gets the XXX book" That class was starting at 6pm, a few minutes after I came, but I didn't want to stick around for the chance I might get $20. Time is worth more, if I knew I'd get one, hell yeah I sit through it.

When I mentioned the gift card he said "Oh, that one starts at a later date, not sure when. But I think you have to have purchased a Windows 8 device for that one"

Not sure what he meant by that. Is it just a Windows 8 class? Or do you actually need to have boughten a Windows 8 device at the store? I would assume its jut implied you bought one since that would be sort of weird having people bring in their receipts.

Or I guess maybe they want you to bring in your Surface tablet to the class, thats how they know. I dont know. I want that $20 GC.

I'm still going to pick up Halo 4 there since With the bing it on and the $10 GC from AC3 it'll be $40 plus the $25 GC. Still not bad, but $20 with this deal would be even nicer

p.s. Anyone hear anything about the Halo 4 midnight events? Someone mentioned that they would be giving away $25 coupons or something in the bing it on thread. Maybe they meant they would give away prizes similar to the Dance Central 3 launch night where they had a raffle.[/QUOTE]
no guy said everyone gets 25 buck card and you can use it on halo 4 .
I still find it fishy tho, because their basically selling the game for 35 bucks to everyone?

I don't even have "Getting to know your Windows device" in my event calendar, so I guess I'll try to call them point blank and ask them if the Windows 8 class on Monday will net me the gift card. I just don't want to have to go to the class on at 6:30, and the sit there for like six hours lol.

Stopped by my store today, switched over my preorder credit (which was $10 of the $25 bing it on voucher) from AC3 to Halo 4. The manager had to walk him through it, but it went swimmingly and I'm glad the credit wasn't nullified since the voucher itself expired on 10/25.

I asked about the midnight, and his response was, "someone's actually buying a cake that's going to feed 50 people."

So... there's going to be cake...

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Definitely the best deal of the year so far for me. Second has to be the facebook Dance Central 3 deal where they gave out 400 pts per account. [/QUOTE]

Is that still live? I didn't hear about that til now.

[quote name='themixmaster']So... there's going to be cake...[/QUOTE]
The cake is a lie! (sorry had to do it). My store mentioned pizza/soda/raffle/tournament, which is why they did last year for the Halo Anniversary midnight launch. I don't recall there being cake though.

I called into the the store today and a lady said they arent giving away 25 dollar cards. This was the same lady who said bing ot on wasnt going on so idk. I rly want this to be true but i definitely dont want to go a stupid midnight launch for full price game.

The guy i talked to who told me this was pretty sure and i asked him several times if he was sure.
Either way microsoft store still sucks. They dont even know whats goin on in their stores

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']I called into the the store today and a lady said they arent giving away 25 dollar cards. This was the same lady who said bing ot on wasnt going on so idk. I rly want this to be true but i definitely dont want to go a stupid midnight launch for full price game.

The guy i talked to who told me this was pretty sure and i asked him several times if he was sure.
Either way microsoft store still sucks. They dont even know whats goin on in their stores[/QUOTE]
Which store was this at, out of curiosity? I'd been thinking about going to my local one tonight, but I don't think it's worth it if all I'll get out of it is some pizza.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']I called into the the store today and a lady said they arent giving away 25 dollar cards. This was the same lady who said bing ot on wasnt going on so idk. I rly want this to be true but i definitely dont want to go a stupid midnight launch for full price game.

Either way microsoft store still sucks. They dont even know whats goin on in their stores[/QUOTE]I assume you're referring to the Halo 4 Midnight Launch. I was told that they will be giving out gift cards during the midnight launch by way of a raffle system. I wasn't given any specifics on how exactly it would be run, but you need to have a pre-order on file in order to be eligible. In addition, food and drinks are going to be served. Couldn't confirm or deny the possibility of free swag, but encouraged people to arrive early if any are actually given out due to limited quantities. Doors open at 10 PM supposedly.

http://content.microsoftstore.com/store/detail/San-Diego-CA

Join us for another epic midnight launch party at the Microsoft Store as we prepare for the release of Halo 4! Stop by to enjoy gameplay, refreshments, and raffle prizes from 10pm-12:30am. When the clock strikes midnight, be among the first Halo fans to get their hands on the newest Halo game! ESRB Rating: Rating pending.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Wait, what? No 25.00 gift card for the preorder?[/QUOTE]We were referring to the gift cards that will be raffled away during the midnight launch in addition to the $25 gift card you get for pre-ordering.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']Its for oak brook store
Eh fuck it i guess im sure there will be a decent bf deal on halo[/QUOTE]
Oak Brook huh? Damn, that's my local store. They were rather odd about the Bing It On stuff as well, so I'm not surprised that it sounds like they have no idea what's going on tonight as well.

Ah well, guess I'll pass on it. I have a preorder, but it's with Amazon, so it won't do me any good to be there if the raffles and such are only going to be for those who have a preorder at the store.

I'll be going to the midnight launch thing, in hopes of getting some sort of extra coupon or something.

I already preordered Halo 4 with the bing it on challenge so $50 and then I'm going to use the $10 GC from AC3. So $40 and the $25 GC for preordering Halo 4. Hoping they will have something else to make it even cheaper.

Here at the Palo Alto MS store and its just about half a dozen guys hanging out. It is still about 45 mins before they open the doors but at this point the odds of winning something in a raffle are pretty good.

Around 15 people here now. At least 6 of them are Employees from the Apple store next door.

I am outside now Wathing them install halo on several 360s and putting together swag bags.

BAM! Pizza just arrived. It's on now.

They apparently went up and down the lines handing out raffle tickets but never got to my section of the line. They are apparently out of raffle tickets. Got one slice of pizza and I'm in a giant room filled with stinky people. Really kind of pointless to go to it when they ran out of raffle tickets. Wasn't expecting that.

They continue to give out tickets in Palo Alto even to folk arriving an hour late. Some literally just walked im the door and won the raffle. Prizes so far have been action figured and an Xbox controller.

I asked about the $20 certs for taking the windows class and the guy said they stopped giving those and now you just get a book.

Yeah personally I think the raffles should be limited to people with preorders. I know it's definitely the case that there were people who weren't even buying the game in prior launch parties eating pizza, some even winning prizes, etc. Really lame.

Oh it gets worse. The guy that just walked right in and won just won again. The least they could do was remove your number after you win the first time.

I did learn that you can do an ad hoc network between two 360s over wifi so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

So I bailed around 11, and came back at 12:15. There was a line outside, so I stood there. Turns out that line was for people that paid off entirely (I guess that was something I could have did? No one ever offered it) so now I'm in the line inside the store to pay for the game. 30 mins in and it looks like I have another 30 to go. Godawful, worse then the launches last year. Least then I was getting paid to see the worst preorder and pickup system known to man.

Yeah, they were saying that you had to buy the game and at midnight they would hand them out. Also that you couldn't pay after midnight. Got there at around 10:30pm and left after the first raffle at 11pm. Only raffled few things like a Halo figure or a LE copy of the game. They said they were only raffling off 10 items total.

Attended the launch at the Century City/Los Angeles store. They had a poorly organized 1v1 "tournament" where the winner would get a console and they were also raffling stuff off like $10/$25 GC, Halo Warthog, T-shirts, armor DLC codes.

Event was kind of an unorganized mess. They pissed off some of us pre-order people as apparently you were supposed to pay the balance between 10-12pm. So there ended up being two separate lines, one for people who had paid in full and those who had pre-orders but were never told they needed to pay already. In a nutshell, even though half of the people in attendance pre-ordered, a lot of us ended up having waiting in line a lot longer than the people who just walked in that night. What made me even more annoyed is that at the beginning of the night I asked one of the employees if I should pay now or just wait until midnight. She told me not to worry and never said anything about having to wait in a long ass line if I didn't pay the balance off. Even more insulting is that they have like 10 employees up by the register counter and apparently only two people were able to process credit card payment at a time.

The only cool thing was that they had the motion-capture actors and director on hand for autographs. I got a photo with the actors that play Chief, Cortana, and adult Lasky. They were signing copies of the game but I just decided to bail as it was already 12:30 and I didn't want to wait another half hour or more. Oh well. :p

bread's done
Back