Microsoft thanks Halo 2 players (free 3 months XBL, 400 points, Halo: Reach Beta)

RBH

CAGiversary!
With the impending discontinuation of the XBL service on the original Xbox, Microsoft has been sending out this e-mail to Halo 2 players apparently:

On April 15, 2010, we will discontinue the Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox games playable on Xbox v1 and Xbox 360. In our continuing efforts to evolve the service, we need to make changes to the LIVE service that are not compatible with original Xbox v1 games.

What does this change mean for you?
• It does not affect your ability to play original Xbox v1 games offline, but does remove LIVE connectivity and support for online multiplayer, leader boards, and other online features of these games.
• We realize that you are an avid Halo 2 fan. Unfortunately, with this change, you will not be able to play Halo 2 on Xbox LIVE going forward.
• Although it is difficult to say goodbye to Halo 2, the Halo franchise continues as the benchmark for multiplayer gaming in this generation with Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and soon Halo: Reach. On the Xbox 360, you will continue to have access to the LIVE service where you can enjoy hundreds of other LIVE-enabled games.

When will this change take effect?
• April 15, 2010.

What is Xbox LIVE doing for me?
• To thank you for being a loyal Xbox LIVE customer, we are giving you a free, three-month LIVE Gold membership and 400 Microsoft Points for you to use as you choose on Xbox LIVE.
• In addition, because you've been so loyal to Halo, we are inviting you to participate in the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta.

How do I get these offers?
• You will receive a token for 400 MS points. Check your Xbox LIVE account messages on the console. These points can be used for 365 days after you activate your token.
• We are extending your Gold membership by three months automatically. The extension will be directly reflected in your LIVE account.
• Finally, as the beta gets closer, you will receive an e-mail containing the code granting you access to the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta.

Thank you for being a loyal Xbox LIVE member. Please visit xbox.com/support if you have any questions or for more information.
The Xbox LIVE Team

Pretty nice gesture from MS.

Even if you haven't played Halo 2 in awhile, it's still worth checking your e-mail anyways for this since the message does point out "loyal Xbox Live" members.

[quote name='Tsukento']Anyone actually get this while playing Halo 2 on their 360 and owning a Gold account? I have a feeling this is just limited for Xbox Live v1 owners.[/QUOTE]

I have played ONLY on a 360 and I got it.

[quote name='Tsukento']Anyone actually get this while playing Halo 2 on their 360 and owning a Gold account? I have a feeling this is just limited for Xbox Live v1 owners.[/QUOTE]
I doubt it, what good would 3 months of xbl do once it ends in April, XBox v1 doesn't use points, and the beta can't be played on xbox v1. None of the items would be useful.

also, I hope this works for me. I just matched up with someone on Goozex for Halo 2, so at least I'll be able to send it off on a last hurrah. Hopefully I can sneak in a few matches and get me some 400 points, 3 months, and not have to rebuy that awful ODST to play in the beta, all for just $1. Here's to hoping.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']I have played ONLY on a 360 and I got it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for clearing that up.

[quote name='myl0r']I doubt it, what good would 3 months of xbl do once it ends in April, XBox v1 doesn't use points, and the beta can't be played on xbox v1. None of the items would be useful.[/QUOTE]
Incentive to switch to the 360's Live service and to play Halo 3 and up? :p

Been a long time since I played, but I'll definitely put it in for a couple rounds. Who knows, maybe it'll still get me the bonus? Of course, I'm still waiting for my last 400 point bonus so I'm sure this is YMMV.

Does anyone know if you had changed your gamertag does it transfer over and they still recognize all the games you played before?

Yes Bungie links your games even if u payed 800 points to change ur gamertag name... U can see the stats linked on Bungie.net as soon as u complete one match with the new name...

I've only played some SP a couple weeks ago, went into the lobbies to see how busy online was and dl'ed the map packs all on my new original xbox. No email yet. Maybe when I play some and dl the map packs on my replacement 360 which I just got back I'll qualify.

I can't believe they did this like they did. As soon as they announced that live was going down for original xbox games I turned on halo 2 and played 2 games. Got my point code in a message on my 360. I imagine a lot of none regular halo 2 players did this and were given the points.

Now that I think about it... I do recall playing a couple of offline MP games of the first two Halo games a few months ago (my 360 is always connected to Live though). Maybe that's why i got it... but I did get the message as soon as I got out of the game a few nights ago.

I started playing this again pretty heavily when they announced they were taking it down. No email or xbl message for me. Lame.

Bought Halo 2 to use on my 360 a few months ago on feeBay for $8. Good investment.

The 400 points token message showed up on Friday, but I'm also still waiting for the 3 months of Gold.

For the time being it's probably best to keep auto-renewal ON for our Gold accounts until we get the 3 months.

Take it off as soon as those 3 months show up. To do it online (you don't have to call India anymore) follow the site bellow:
http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/29/how-to-turn-off-xbox-live-account-auto-renewal.aspx

Wait, people already got the 400pt code? All I got was the message saying codes were on the way, no actual codes yet.

lol reading through some of the comments, people are so angry they didn't get a code. I got my code and three months. i could never be so happy! :) free stuff rocks

I got my code a day after I recieved the email. Unfortunately it says "Invalid Code" all 6 times I have tried to redeem it.
BUT my 3 free months of LIVE were added automatically!

Haven't gotten any points or XBL extension yet, but I'm still going to play Halo 2 every once in awhile. I forgot how much fun I had with this game. My Live runs out in April, so hopefully I get that extension so I can play the Reach beta.

hmm i popped in halo 2 recently because i had a craving to play it. i got the 400ms points and the 3 month live, but i dont remember reading anything about the halo reach beta (i accidently deleted the first message, the second message contained the ms points). if anyone actually has the two messages and clear things up, i would be most grateful. thanks!

Halo 2 multiplayer is more fun than Halo 3 multiplayer. I remember plenty of sleepless nights playing this while in college. I just played a couple of online matches and it brought good memories to mind.

I have checked my account as well as my sons active Live account and no email for this on either one.

How are they determining who gets it? My son has been active on Halo 2.

I told him to start playing it full time for the next month but I'm sure that won't make any difference. We both have play files dating back to 2007 too.

I haven't played Halo 2 in 2 years, no email from what I see but I do see my subscription is now "3 month prepaid Subscription". In no way do I remember entering in a 3 month code for my account, I believe the last code I entered in was 12 month code. I hope I get an email for the 400 MS points as well.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']I guess over 6,900 games and 34,000 + kills and games played since launch day doesn't qualify.[/QUOTE]

I'm not gonna get angry over $5 and a beta key, but I would really like to know what the qualifications are. Seems a bit random.

I just started playing Halo 2 again and so far no luck. I doubt Microsoft will let us know what the qualifier is to get this, but I really want the Halo Reach beta. I could careless about the points and the prepaid, but I want to get in Reach.

[quote name='ProggleRock']I'm not gonna get angry over $5 and a beta key, but I would really like to know what the qualifications are. Seems a bit random.[/QUOTE]

$5 + $20 for 3 Month Gold, and Beta Key to be exact aha, but I don't mind that much either. It seems that most of the people who got codes recently played it, one only played 2 games total and got it but it was during the time they announced Halo 2 was going to be shut off.

It was probably those of us who played Halo 2 in the past 1-3 months up until March 3rd when the notifications went out. I got it, and the last time I played Halo 2 was in January.

Has anyone actually had their extra 3 months show up yet? The points code came by message on LIVE and worked.

[quote name='Goatlord']I got my code a day after I recieved the email. Unfortunately it says "Invalid Code" all 6 times I have tried to redeem it.
BUT my 3 free months of LIVE were added automatically![/QUOTE]

Did you miss the last digit? I entered mine and got an invalid, but noticed the code read like this in the message:

6WSWT-AJ889-OMB71-AKSI

Asking a favor: Please check if you 3 month extension shows up on xbox.com account and/or consoles and report back.

For me the 400 points worked, but the 3 months aren't added on.

I just recently redeemed some "expired" 3 month cards and 400 point cards from 2006 LIVE headset bundles, do you think that has anything to do with the delay?

I actually wasted 45 minutes of my Spring Break calling the 4MyXbox hotline asking about it. It accomplished nothing. The second agent I spoke to was an American. He was pretty cool and just said the extension should come eventually (as another message). We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll check out the ol' I.Net mail and my account to see if I got any points, but if this thing is based off activity I think I have a better chance of finding a bag of free and clear money in my closet then getting anything from MS.

Nice thing for MS to do, and I do very much hope I got some points/renewal/future code, but I doubt it :lol: I haven't even tried to play Halo 2 online in a couple years.

havn't played halo 2 since gears of war came out
got it today from Goozex, popped it in, went 22-9 with 4 assists on FFA Shotguns, so I was very pleased(note-back when I played Halo every night, if I went 22-9, I would have been just as happy, because I kinda suck at that game)
but we'll see if I get the promo. I'll play a match or two here and there for a while.

Shocked I got this, as I rarely play XBOX, but I did DL the Halo 2 packs like 3 months ago... Anyways I randomly logged onto my XBOX 360 today to see 2 messages, both labeled 'LIVE'.

I didn't think anything of it, the first one was dated 3/4 and I opened it, read the first line and deleted it... (Stupid)

the second one though was dated 3/5 and I read it a little more thoroughly and noticed it had a code for 3 months LIVE and 400 points. I added the code but only got the points and not the 3 months, so my question is, is this because i'm SILVER? Anyone else have this similar problem?

Also did anyone get 2 messages on their dashboard with codes? (one from 3/4 and 3/5?)...

***UPDATE: I called XBOX support to let them know I didn't get the 3 months and they said they were aware of this... I guess it's not just me...

Curious if anyone else has a similar story though...

Same story here. The second dashboard message had the 400 points code. So the automatic 3 month extension is probably going to show up (on our LIVE memberships) in the next couple weeks, and the Beta access will come in early May.

I feel good about this now, we just need to be patient on the extension documentation and the Beta code.

This is the best LIVE deal since the free 300 Microsoft Points offer at Target last August.

Good stuff.

[quote name='XF Gator']Same story here. The second dashboard message had the 400 points code. So the automatic 3 month extension is probably going to show up (on our LIVE memberships) in the next couple weeks, and the Beta access will come in early May.

I feel good about this now, we just need to be patient on the extension documentation and the Beta code.

This is the best LIVE deal since the free 300 Microsoft Points offer at Target last August.

Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

Well the LIVE team said that they're gonna get back to me because I have Silver and apparently the mssg said something about "extending your current LIVE membership..."

I got the 400 points if I get the 3 months it's just an added bonus (plus the Halo Reach Beta)

Ugh this is bs I called and was told that I would get my points and 3 months live by/on april 15th and that the points were not given immediately... and now you guys are saying there was a 2nd live message that had the points on it? I never got that 2nd message with my points just the message stating about them and how I would receive them and the people on ms didnt help me at all -_- looks lime i may be stuck in limbo with this deal uugggggggghhhhhhhh

Obviously calling won't accomplish anything, just wasting your time and supporting call centers in India.

There were 2 messages on the console, the second had the points token. Keep your fingers crossed that yours is still on the way and didn't accidentally get deleted.

If you got the original e-mail than you're guaranteed the 3 month extension. It might take some time show up though. That seems to be the consensus based on this thread.

I could really use those 400 points with my plans to purchase Perfect Dark so I'd like to know who qualified as well. I actually finished the game just before Halo 3 came out. And of course, did some multiplayer. So what gives?

[quote name='awp']I could really use those 400 points with my plans to purchase Perfect Dark so I'd like to know who qualified as well. I actually finished the game just before Halo 3 came out. And of course, did some multiplayer. So what gives?[/QUOTE]

Like I stated before, I really think this has to do with who has logged into their Halo 2 servers within the last 6 months or so... Otherwise they would be giving out a ton of '400 point/3 month' codes...

All I did was DL the map packs around January and got the mssg...

[quote name='iHack']***UPDATE: I called XBOX support to let them know I didn't get the 3 months and they said they were aware of this... I guess it's not just me...

Curious if anyone else has a similar story though...[/QUOTE]

Did you call the main 1-800-4my-xbox, or another e-mail. I never got any LIVE messages off xbox, but was confused as to who to complain too xbox or bungie, as I thought this was a gift from bungie not xbox. Hmmm wondering if I should contact bungie?

Final word on the delivery of the freebies from Microsoft. The 400 points token arrived on the dashboard the day after the e-mail. However, the 3 months took 2 weeks to arrive. It did come though.

Both were 12 digit codes sent to the console.

Good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
MS sent reminders about the points in my messages a little while ago. Check yours in case you didn't receive one before as maybe some of you will get one now.

Any word on the "gift" you were supposed to receive by playing Halo 2 on the last day of live access? I've heard a rumor it's a special type of armor on Reach, but did not read that anywhere. Anyone hear anything semi concrete? And if it'll be an email or not?

[quote name='cancermatt']Any word on the "gift" you were supposed to receive by playing Halo 2 on the last day of live access? I've heard a rumor it's a special type of armor on Reach, but did not read that anywhere. Anyone hear anything semi concrete? And if it'll be an email or not?[/QUOTE]

Bungie said it would be some sort of "visual flair" in Reach, but they haven't decided on exactly what yet.

bread's done
Back