Microsoft to purchase Capcom (Rumor)

I really hope it's not true. I hate the idea of 3rd parties getting purchased and then only making games for 1 platform plus this would probably stop all the Capcom DS and GBA games

This would kick so much ass in a way.

We would get ALL of Capcom's titles, however not everyone would purchase every Capcom title (there are so many). And what of the handheld titles? I would hope they would develop for the DS, or maybe Phoenix Wright for the Zune? The possiblities are endless.

Course the bad thing is when you buy developers, people leave. Rare lost alot of talent, whos to say the same wouldn't happen to Capcom?

This "rumor" got started in another forum earlier today other than the one the OP mentioned, made it's way on to digg, and has now spread on other forums. Back in 2001 the same "rumor" was also started and that never turned in to anything then either.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']A truly frightening piece of speculation...

the thought of no more Phoenix Wright makes Sailor Neorune cry.[/quote]
Microsoft allows their games to be released on the DS (MechAssult, Age of Empires). I doubt we have to worry about Capcom's DS games drying up if Microsoft buys them.

I find this extremely hard to believe, it would be such a massively stupid decision for Capcom to sell. Of course Microsoft wants to buy them, they'd buy a lot of guys if they were willing to sell. They wanted to buy Nintendo a while back.

^ don't forget Rare is working on Diddy Kong Racing for the DS. As long as MS has no competing product to the DS they will see it as another platform to make money. The day the Xboy or whatever comes out, that will change.

I hope this is not true either. It would not only be bad for Sony, but bad for Nintendo as well. Look at the VC potential of Capcom's catelog. Not to mention new titles like RE:UC.

[quote name='hhhdx4']Meh, what does Capcom even have nowadays besides RE and DMC?[/QUOTE]

Dead Rising
Lost Planet
Mega Man
Street Fighter
Viewtiful Joe
Power Stone

[quote name='Sporadic']Dead Rising - new franchise already on 360
Lost Planet - ditto
Mega Man - this franchise has long been dead except porting the old good games
Street Fighter - ditto
Viewtiful Joe - this one died after VJ 1, imo... Capcom seems to have forgotten about it
Power Stone - Same as Mega Man / SF[/QUOTE]

So... yea, Capcom dosen't have much else to put on the 360 other than and RE and DMC, and RE is already coming.

IMO, Capcom just rides the coat tails of its older dead franchises, its new franchises are where its at.

[quote name='Roufuss']

IMO, Capcom just rides the coat tails of its older dead franchises, its new franchises are where its at.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to Nintendo

[quote name='Kaijufan']Microsoft allows their games to be released on the DS (MechAssult, Age of Empires). I doubt we have to worry about Capcom's DS games drying up if Microsoft buys them.[/quote]

That ws before MS had a game playing machine called Zune...

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Tell that to Nintendo[/QUOTE]

Not quite getting what you mean... the Metroid Prime series is great, Twilight Princess is awesome, I'm too tired to look through at other Nintendo franchises that are still going strong since the NES / SNES days. Mario Kart also comes to mind. Nintendo has kept a good number of its core franchises alive and in good shape.

Capcom has done NOTHING with Street Fighter and Mega Man in years now, with no plans whatsoever to do anything with them in the future except just keep porting SF 2 and the decent Mega Man games.

Well, I forgot, they did make X7 and X8 but those were abominations.

Power Stone is by and large a dead franchise, Viewtiful Joe seems to be gone too... I love Capcom more than anyone but it's very easy to see most of their money and hype are coming from Dead Rising, Lost Planet, and new iterations of RE and DMC.

So why would MS buy Capcom? I don't think they would... they aren't that hard up to get DMC 4 and every other awesome Capcom title is already on the 360. MS stands to gain pretty much nothing.

Capcom might as well be exclusive anyways since they still haven't mentioned plans to port Dead Rising and Lost Planet anywhere yet, and even if they do, it'll be way after the fact.

Haha! I'm participating in the console warz! I like rehashes, ports, sequels and new IP. I'll also own all 3 systems. It's all pretty good. Except the PS3 right now, but I think everyone can agree that ATM, it sucks. Neutral FTW!

I wouldn't want to see this happen though...Capcom is very important to all 3 companies and if they were bought up, it would change the industry. I'm not sure how, but I would rather have things how they are right now (plenty of competition.)

[quote name='soonersfan60']That ws before MS had a game playing machine called Zune...[/QUOTE]
Games on the Zune will be about as games on the iPod. Which is to say pretty crappy. Even if it could handle good graphics (which it may or may not be able to do), the buttons just aren't set up for more than puzzle-type games.

we need a new Street Fighter game on par with Virtua Fighter, Tekken, or Soul Calibur. I don't know why they can't try. Sure 2-d games are fun on the VC and XBL Arcade, but not too many people would complain to see a SF revolution. Ryu and Chun-Li in 3-d with 30-40 moves would be pretty awesome.

[quote name='tayaf69']we need a new Street Fighter game on par with Virtua Fighter, Tekken, or Soul Calibur. I don't know why they can't try. Sure 2-d games are fun on the VC and XBL Arcade, but not too many people would complain to see a SF revolution. Ryu and Chun-Li in 3-d with 30-40 moves would be pretty awesome.[/quote]

They HAVE tried before, and it sucked terribly. Nothing wrong with 2D fighters with excellent sprite work.

They have their work cut out for them if they're going to top 3rd Strike.

I just hope it's exclusives of franchises (such as Dead Rising and Lost Planet)... let's hope it's nothing like them taking the Street Fighter franchise... Ryu vs. Gates.

[quote name='icruise']Oh sure, I'd love to see Capcom go the way of RARE... Their decline was so sad.[/QUOTE]

While I think their decline started after Perfect Dark (Banjo-Tooie, Conker, etc.), Viva Pinata is amazing and is hopefully a sign that they are on the path to recovery.

As for MS purchasing Capcom, I don't have a huge problem with it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I....don't want it to happen.

But I do want it to happen.

fuck.[/quote]

I'm int he same boat with you. When I saw this I had to do a double take. Almost spit out my drink.

[quote name='hhhdx4']Meh, what does Capcom even have nowadays besides RE and DMC?[/quote]

Okami, Mega Man, Street Fighter, Power Stone, Viewtiful Joe, DMC, Chaos Legion (a new sequel with improvements would be incredible. I really liked the game, but can admit that it got repetitive and linear after awhile. If they spruced it up next-gen style and modified it a bit it would simply be awesome), Lost Planet, Dead Rising, etc.

[quote name='captainfrizo']While I think their decline started after Perfect Dark (Banjo-Tooie, Conker, etc.), Viva Pinata is amazing and is hopefully a sign that they are on the path to recovery.

As for MS purchasing Capcom, I don't have a huge problem with it.[/QUOTE]

the one thing Rare can do to redeem itself is to resurrect Killer Instinct and make it into a good game. from there I'll forget most of the bad stuff they've done.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']
Okami, Mega Man, Street Fighter, Power Stone, Viewtiful Joe, DMC, Chaos Legion (a new sequel with improvements would be incredible. I really liked the game, but can admit that it got repetitive and linear after awhile. If they spruced it up next-gen style and modified it a bit it would simply be awesome), Lost Planet, Dead Rising, etc.[/QUOTE]

Why do people keep thinking Capcom will magically start reviving dead franchises? They won't.

Mega Man, Street Fighter, Power Stone, Okami, ESPICALLY Chaos Legion... these are all pretty much dead and buried. Yes, they DO have these franchises, but will we see new iterations? Probably not.

Capcom isn't going to waste time with a new Mega Man when it has a guaranteed cash cow in Lost Planet 2 or Dead Rising 2... they will wear the shit out of those two franchises until they are nothing but a shell of what they used to be and then they will move on to something else.

Resident Evil was dangerously close to this fate until RE 4 changed the entire series.

Capcom will pimp out its main 4 franchises, they will experiement with stuff on the side to see what sticks and what dosen't (Godhand, Okami), but I'm pretty sure they will never start going back into their old franchises unless it's to port the good old games.

I find it strange how people feel Rare declined. Also remember Microsoft also Aquired Bungie to produce halo so it's not always a bad thing -_-.........

Either way the Rare games on the xbox 360 are way better than any of the crap they released on the N64. Granted they did do some decent stuff on the SNES though.

[quote name='tayaf69']Ryu and Chun-Li in 3-d with 30-40 moves would be pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]
A new SF game would be nice, but after playing EX3 I hope the series never attempts at 3D again. I can't imagine having to use the awful 360 d-pad though.

[quote name='Zoglog']Either way the Rare games on the xbox 360 are way better than any of the crap they released on the N64.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, Kameo is WAY better than Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Goldeneye, etc. And Perfect Dark? A piece of crap compared to PDZ. /sarcasm.

You are all products of the now generation :(

Go buy the Capcom Collection discs... they made some of the best games in the 80s and 90s. Cap-tain Com-mando, Bionic Commando, 1942, Knights of the Round, all the D&D games, all the side scrollers, Ghosts and Goblins, and of course Street Fighters, Darkstalkers, Megamans, etc. How bout some new Rival Schools, more Resident Evil, a Pilot Wings-ish Legendary Wings, a better Viewtiful Joe, some Devil May Cry and Onimusha. Lost Planet plays great too :)

There are plenty of reasons to buy Capcom... but the question is, will the internal level of morale still remain high, or sink to the silt. I'll keep praying :)

AND YEAH... Street Fighter in 3-D was horrid :( but doesn't make it any less desired today, considering they'd have plenty to work with now :)

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I really hope it's not true. I hate the idea of 3rd parties getting purchased and then only making games for 1 platform plus this would probably stop all the Capcom DS and GBA games[/quote]
x2

id like it to stay true to its arcade roots & not focus on developing exclusive titles. just moving over awesome arcade games.

oh what i would give for a Capcom VS. SNK VS. Marvel game w/ good online play.. :bow::pray::joystick:

Capcom kicks total ass as a game company. Best company besides Nintendo IMO. Having them on 360 would defnitely make it the console to beat in the long run, even though it's currently the best console out this gen so far...

[quote name='icruise']Oh sure, I'd love to see Capcom go the way of RARE... Their decline was so sad.[/QUOTE]
Even with the rumor apparently killed, this makes no sense. Why would the same thing happen? It's two completely different companies.

[quote name='Roufuss']Capcom has done NOTHING with Street Fighter and Mega Man in years now, with no plans whatsoever to do anything with them in the future except just keep porting SF 2 and the decent Mega Man games.[/QUOTE]

Street Fighter 4 is coming within the next year or so. Bank on it.

bread's done
Back