Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - $36.16 (Amazon)

This is a pretty solid deal - thanks OP.

Another option, if you already have 360 controllers (like many of us do), is to get the PC wireless receiver for $5-$10 shipped from ebay and use it with your existing controllers. It's not as elegant as getting the set in an inexpensive ($35) bundle from Amazon, though.

The 360 controller is good for the HIB5 games and even better for GOOD games.

Joking aside, I would rather have the wired variety any number of ways. I keep hearing that the power draw of the wireless receiver is huge and as a result the thing is unreliable. I don't want to have to rely on a dongle like that if I can avoid it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']

Joking aside, I would rather have the wired variety any number of ways. I keep hearing that the power draw of the wireless receiver is huge and as a result the thing is unreliable. I don't want to have to rely on a dongle like that if I can avoid it.[/QUOTE]

Got in on this in a lightning deal for the same price a few weeks ago. I've not had any issues with the wireless receiver, even using it with my 360 steering wheel with great response on Dirt 3. Very happy with this purchase.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The 360 controller is good for the HIB5 games and even better for GOOD games.

Joking aside, I would rather have the wired variety any number of ways. I keep hearing that the power draw of the wireless receiver is huge and as a result the thing is unreliable. I don't want to have to rely on a dongle like that if I can avoid it.[/QUOTE]

this is the only way to get an authentic wireless receiver anymore as I believe Microsoft doesn't sell it separately anymore. the only wireless receivers out there are chinese imitations which are known to be flaky. if you want a dependable receiver, it's awfully hard to get one without getting a kit like this.

a great price. Note that with 1 wireless receiver, you can use up to 4 360 controllers on the PC simultaneously.

I use it mainly for emulators.

[quote name='nwaugh']This is a pretty solid deal - thanks OP.

Another option, if you already have 360 controllers (like many of us do), is to get the PC wireless receiver for $5-$10 shipped from ebay and use it with your existing controllers. It's not as elegant as getting the set in an inexpensive ($35) bundle from Amazon, though.[/QUOTE]

I thought the deal was fucking awesome! Especially for those that lived in California.

Too bad price just jumped on Amazon. Sorry for those that lived in California (sales tax). :D

That's a GREAT price! I've never had a problem with my receiver, had it for a while now. Works really well. Only thing I would complain about is that you have to pop the batteries to get the controller to disconnect.

[quote name='omnicious']Where exactly is the $35 deal? I'm seeing $42 at both links.[/QUOTE]

On Newegg "$8 off w/ promo code EMCNEGJ57, ends 6/6"

You're right about Amazon though.

Hmm. Good deal. I remember getting my wireless controller without an adapter for $35. I'll have to think it over.

quick question: can i switch this between the 360 and pc?

the only difference is that it comes with receiver right?

thanks for the answer dirtyvu.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Newl']quick question: can i switch this between the 360 and pc?

the only difference is that it comes with receiver right?[/QUOTE]

yes, just hit the sync button and pair it up to either the 360 or the PC. every time you switch between the 360 or the PC, you'll have to pair it up again.

[quote name='dirtyvu']yes, just hit the sync button and pair it up to either the 360 or the PC. every time you switch between the 360 or the PC, you'll have to pair it up again.[/QUOTE]

and I'm pretty sure you'll be turning on your 360 every time you go to sync it to the PC.

One issue with these is that there's no real way to turn them off, outside of GFWL games. They will turn off automatically after not being used for awhile but if you shutdown windows while they're still on they will try to resync indefinitely until the batteries die from what I've read.

Someone made an app that'll do it but it's more of a manual thing, hold the guide button in a few seconds for the prompt but personally I'd rather something that just runs at shutdown and turns them off.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The 360 controller is good for the HIB5 games and even better for GOOD games.

[quote name='hollowfreak']and I'm pretty sure you'll be turning on your 360 every time you go to sync it to the PC.

One issue with these is that there's no real way to turn them off, outside of GFWL games. They will turn off automatically after not being used for awhile but if you shutdown windows while they're still on they will try to resync indefinitely until the batteries die from what I've read.

Someone made an app that'll do it but it's more of a manual thing, hold the guide button in a few seconds for the prompt but personally I'd rather something that just runs at shutdown and turns them off.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that what you guys hear is just that.. hearsay.

So far had no issues with it.. it turns off automatically while not in used even after you shut down your pc.

The steps are simple. Install software, plug in receiver, put in batteries and press/hold the center button to sync. If it blinks, re-sync by press/hold the receiver and press/hold the top button of the controller.

[quote name='CheapSteam']I can confirm that what you guys hear is just that.. hearsay.

So far had no issues with it.. it turns off automatically while not in used even after you shut down your pc.

The steps are simple. Install software, plug in receiver, put in batteries and press/hold the center button to sync. If it blinks, re-sync by press/hold the receiver and press/hold the top button of the controller.[/QUOTE]I can confirm that I did have issues with it when connected to my HTPC.

I had random disconnects of my Logitech keyboard and mouse when it was connected and when I removed it, those issues disappeared. Tried another receiver I had, same issues.

For you, there was no issue, though for me, I had an issue with the wireless receiver.

I switched to a wired controller + USB extension cable and have had no issues whatsoever.

[quote name='hollowfreak']and I'm pretty sure you'll be turning on your 360 every time you go to sync it to the PC.

[/QUOTE]

I pop off the battery pack for a split second to turn them off.

And yes, it's possible to turn your 360 on when syncing the controller to the PC. But it hasn't been an issue for me.

I just got mine, it's nice but it's not as plug n play as I'd like. Still have an issue with dead rising 2 and after one stage of sega classics version of Sonic it just stopped being recognized which is annoying but Im sure a little fiddling around will fix it.

bread's done
Back