Microsoft's 360 Warranty

Saucy Jack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I have some questions about the warranty. The booklet from the 360 wasn't helpful, and neither was the website.

As you know, you get a card with the 360 offering you a 2-year unlimited warranty for $60.

I know that currently Microsoft is doing a replacement/repair method like this:

They overnight you a pre-paid overnight box, and you send them your console. They overnight it back to you when the exchange/repair is finished.

Is this their new policy? Free overnight shipping both ways? Or is this just temporary to appease those who got a bad launch console?

If this is their new policy (free overnight shipping both ways), it seems that their warranty is a great deal.

Anyone know about this, or have a warranty on their 360 with Microsoft?

Assuming it's the same as the Xbox warranty repair, here's some things you need to remember:

They don't overnight the shipping box to you, they ground ship it to you.
The shipment to them is standard ground, and back to you is the same, standard ground.

[quote name='shrike4242']Assuming it's the same as the Xbox warranty repair, here's some things you need to remember:

The shipment to them is standard ground, and back to you is the same, standard ground.[/QUOTE]

OK.

I mentioned overnight because that's what they are currently doing. They claim to have people's Xbox 360 systems back to them within a few days. So, I'm wondering if this overnight business is just for now.

So with the card thingie that came in the box for a $59.90 MS Service Contract, it says you have to complete & mail the thing "within 10 days". Sooooo... is that ten days after purchase or ten days after delivery? They don't ask for any kind of receipt or proof of purchase, they just ask for Purchase Date (which is more than 10 days ago because of shipping), so I don't know what the deal is here, if they'll ask for that later or what. Anybody know what the deal is?

Also, where is the dern serial number? Is it the unlabeled number in the USB flap?

Just want to know what I'm doing... had my first lockup today so I'm getting wary.

Technically, the form "requires" it to be sent in within 10 days of purchase, so I would assume that is what they mean because they have a line on the form for date of purchase.

With that said, I cannot see them rejecting your purchase of the warranty a few days later than that. The point of the warranty on their end is to allow some additional profit for MS, after all.

Once they deliver the final contract to you, that should be an acceptance on their part of the contract itself, unless they disclaim the fact that you purchased the warranty 10 days after the console's purchase, which would be in the terms of agreement (I don't have mine back yet, so I can't tell you). Even if this is so, you can cancel the warranty and get the remainder refunded.

If you are worried about it, give them a call. Just make sure to write down the operator number and the date in case you need to dispute it someday.

The serial number is one of the numbers on the back of the console (where the bar codes are). It is also on your box if you flip up one of the corners (it says serial number under flap or something as such).

Sorry to hear about the lockup. I had one with Call of Duty 2 the other day, but I am not going to be too worried unless it happens again.

Thank you kind sir. I'm gonna send it in tomorrow and see what happens, even though technically my purchase date was 11/18. I didn't get it until the 23rd, however...

I'm gonna be terribly vexxed if they deny it.

I bought it because my original Xbox had a thompson drive that starting getting DREs and I had to trade it in for credit and buy a new system, my PS2 got to the point where I had to keep adjusting the laser manually b4 I sold it to someone who fixed it. I don't want to go through that again so I figure $60 is well worth it just in case and will save me money if something does happen to it. I browsed the XBox forums and people were talking about usually a 1 - 1 1/2 week total time on the whole deal for sending back their Xbox. If they are overnighting now it's probably just because of someone getting a defective 360 at launch. An in store warranty would've been better and cheaper but I won my 360 and besides if something goes bad right away you are screwed because they can't give you another system.

Whenever people start receiving their warranty packets in the mail all the details will be clear. I wonder if you really gotta purchase it within the first 10 days like the brochure says... They do not require you to show when you bought it so how would they know?

[quote name='$hady']
I wonder if you really gotta purchase it within the first 10 days like the brochure says... They do not require you to show when you bought it so how would they know?[/QUOTE]

I know. That's what I am thinking.

Money is really tight right now because of the holidays, so I'm wondering if I can pass off my system as a Christmas gift, and then buy a warranty sometime in Late December / Early January.

The way I figure it; they should give you 90 days.

[quote name='minqqq']supposedly you can get the warranty within a years purchase.[/QUOTE]this makes sense, since the manufacturers warranty lasts one year. the 60 dollars would cover 2 years after the original manufacurers warranty ran out.

[quote name='thagoat']this makes sense, since the manufacturers warranty lasts one year. the 60 dollars would cover 2 years after the original manufacurers warranty ran out.[/QUOTE]

i think the man warranty is 90 days for labor

also, it's hard to imagine 10 days would be any cutoff since the many of the console's purchased at launch will not be opened until the holidays

i wouldn't worry about the 10 days since many of the launch consoles are intended to be opened during the holidays

You don't have to do it within the first 10 days' time.

When I called into Microsoft with the same question on my Xbox warranty, they said it could be within the first year of ownership, as long as the console was working, though they preferred that it happen while the console was still under warranty (90 days).

You shouldn't need to be in a mad rush to contact them for the warranty on day 10. If they bitch, the console is still under warranty from days 1-90, so they shouldn't have any issues allowing you to get the warranty on a console that's still under warranty.

Plus, since as a post above indicated, not everyone cracked theirs open to use immediately. Some of them are waiting for the holidays to be opened/used. If they bitch now, they're being assholes about it, and I'd make sure they understand that little fact.

MOD Edit: Merged the two topics together, since they were covering the same issue.

Just ordered this last night. You can purchase a one year warranty or a two year warranty. Unfortunately, if you get the one year you can't renew it a year later. In 30 days i should be recieving a packet with forms for me to fill out and return to Microsoft. All they ask for is the date purchased and serial number. The 2 year takes effect after the original 90 day warranty. Better than nothing.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']
I know that currently Microsoft is doing a replacement/repair method like this:

They overnight you a pre-paid overnight box, and you send them your console. They overnight it back to you when the exchange/repair is finished.

Is this their new policy? Free overnight shipping both ways? Or is this just temporary to appease those who got a bad launch console?

If this is their new policy (free overnight shipping both ways), it seems that their warranty is a great deal.

Anyone know about this, or have a warranty on their 360 with Microsoft?[/QUOTE]
I think it's just a temporary thing. I sent my xbox 360 back monday because of game freezing issues and I just got it back. They replaced it with a new one so hopefuly this one works!! LOL

[quote name='ace25one']I think it's just a temporary thing. I sent my xbox 360 back monday because of game freezing issues and I just got it back. They replaced it with a new one so hopefuly this one works!! LOL[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks. Well, I suppose that ground isn't bad, either...

I might buy a warranty in January, then.

One very imporant thing about this warranty.

Don't ever ever do anything to the stickers covering the case screws.

I had sent my Xbox to MS to get it repaired + warrantied, never been opened, and they sent it back to me unrepaired, plus the tamper stickers over the screws had been punched through like they attempted to repair it. I ended up with an Xbox they didn't fix (I did get my money back for the repair cost, of course) plus they blacklisted the serial number and it could never be fixed again.

I can't stress this enough. If you've touched those stickers, you're fucked.

So they broke the stickers over the screws and then sent it back to you without putting new tamper stickers on it? That's pretty fucked up.

[quote name='shrike4242']Assuming it's the same as the Xbox warranty repair, here's some things you need to remember:

The shipment to them is standard ground, and back to you is the same, standard ground.[/QUOTE]

Mine was overnighted, as was my brother's. It must be done on a case by case basis. I called on a Monday, had the box on Tuesday, and had a repaired XBox by Friday. I was actually impressed.

[quote name='wubb']So they broke the stickers over the screws and then sent it back to you without putting new tamper stickers on it? That's pretty fucked up.[/QUOTE]
Oh indeed, I was quite pissed off by that. They kept saying I had done it, and that they had photographic proof of it when it came into their center, and as I didn't expect them to take pictures of every console that rolled through they doors, I didn't take pictures of it beforehand. I didn't think I had a need to do so. :whistle2:s I sure as heck will the next time with this current one if it gets shipped up there. They kept saying it was my fault, and of course, why would I send an opened Xbox to them? :whistle2:s I filed a BBB complaint over it, and it's still open.

[quote name='mmercer13']Mine was overnighted, as was my brother's. It must be done on a case by case basis. I called on a Monday, had the box on Tuesday, and had a repaired XBox by Friday. I was actually impressed.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure it's done on a case-by-case basis, since mine was offered free shipping for the trip to them, and it came standard UPS (3 days) for the box and outbound to them the same way. Came back to me the same way, UPS ground.

bread's done
Back