Midway Announces 6 Arcade Games For Playstation Network

sullyj

CAG Veteran
The six downloadable titles are: Mortal Kombat® II, Gauntlet®II, Joust®, Rampage World Tour®, Rampart® and Championship Sprint®. Each title was specifically chosen because of its multiplayer capability, allowing players to experience each of these classics with their friends in the comfort of their own living room, or anywhere else through an internet connection. All of the titles will be offered for PLAYSTATION 3 system download exclusively through the PLAYSTATION Network.

"We knew these titles would be a perfect fit for the PLAYSTATION Network, and based on Sony Online Entertainment's legacy in the online space as well as their intimate knowledge of the PLAYSTATION Network, it was an obvious decision they would be a top company to work with to bring this project to fruition," said Steve Allison, chief marketing officer, Midway.

Not bad, but I wonder about pricing? MK2 is worth $5 or more, especially online, but the others? Not to me.

[quote name='elwood731']Not bad, but I wonder about pricing? MK2 is worth $5 or more, especially online, but the others? Not to me.[/QUOTE]

It's comparable to XBLA's offerings, which combine classics as well as "modern" (in the sense that MKII is not Gauntlet) content. Online MKII sounds like it could be a blast.

I'd be interested to see how Sony's direct pricing approach (telling you the $ price instead of dealing with "points" bullshit) will effect sales. I like their honesty, but as a cheap ass, it kills off the ability to buy points cards on sale.

[quote name='schuerm26']$500 to play MK2. Brilliant idea.[/quote]

yup.. in my case $600... Mk fan always!

unless they put it on live.. but i guess that wont happen since this is supposedly exclusive...

Um... where did they say these would be playable online? They just said multiplayer capability, but unless I missed something, they never said these would be playable online.

It says "Or anywhere else with an internet connection" but that could mean that wherever there is an internet connection you can download these... the whole thing is worded very shitty.

[quote name='Roufuss']It says "Or anywhere else with an internet connection" but that could mean that wherever there is an internet connection you can download these... the whole thing is worded very shitty.[/QUOTE]

Well, y'know, Midway is busy counting reams of cash they make on ports while they have a handful of developers making even shittier games (see: Blitz) working on perfecting the titles. ;)

[quote name='schuerm26']$500 to play MK2. Brilliant idea.[/QUOTE]

That's $500 to play MK2 *online*, Cindy. Why aren't you busy having fun with Donkey Kong, Jr. Math?

[quote name='guyver2077']unless they put it on live.. but i guess that wont happen since this is supposedly exclusive...[/QUOTE]

I bet it's circumstantially exclusive - didn't MS say they didn't want XBLA cluttered with multiple revisions of the same game/series?

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, y'know, Midway is busy counting reams of cash they make on ports while they have a handful of developers making even shittier games (see: Blitz) working on perfecting the titles. ;)

I bet it's circumstantially exclusive - didn't MS say they didn't want XBLA cluttered with multiple revisions of the same game/series?[/QUOTE]

I could see MS retracting that shit really fast to throw MK 2 up just to have a counter.

And again, I'm not so sure these will be online... the whole thing is worded really ambigiously (pretty sure I'm using the right word...). I mean, the article on the OP IMPLIES online, but it never came out and said "Hey play with your friends online!!".

Yeah I agree with Roufuss it doesn't exactly say they will be online. If they are it might bode well for the system's future in that area but I wouldn't exactly hold my breath.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'd be interested to see how Sony's direct pricing approach (telling you the $ price instead of dealing with "points" bullshit) will effect sales. I like their honesty, but as a cheap ass, it kills off the ability to buy points cards on sale.[/quote]

Sony said that they will be selling pre-paid cards you can use to order things online. I know that will make them like gift cards (what you pay is how much they are worth), but do you think there might be some way to get deals on those in the future via store coupons and what not?

[quote name='NamPaehc']Sony said that they will be selling pre-paid cards you can use to order things online. I know that will make them like gift cards (what you pay is how much they are worth), but do you think there might be some way to get deals on those in the future via store coupons and what not?[/quote]

Have you ever been able to use a coupon/tricks to get a gift card for less?
Not that I know of.

Well, Victoria's Secret employees get a discount when they buy a gift card.
It's like they're buying more money with less money.

There are not Playstation points.

These pre-paid cards are basically gift cards. I don't see anyone getting a discount on those.

I just wanted the Gamespot video. Sounds like they plan to offer them one a month starting in March which seems a bit odd to me.

wow.... mk2 looks so......... mk1-ish..

pixy.gif
ces-2007-midway-classics-hands-on-20070110071234120.jpg

[SIZE=-1]Mortal Kombat II[/SIZE]
pixy.gif
Mortal Kombat II: MKII is one of the highlights of the six Midway games coming to the PlayStation Store. Although not as ideal as an arcade joystick, the PlayStation 3 d-pad works well with Mortal Kombat II. Pounding out the classic moves took as long as it took to dust off the MK section of our brains and remember how to do them. The game looks and plays just the same way as it did in the arcade, straight down to the huge spouts of blood that only a well placed upper cut can deliver. The one new addition to the game is an online multiplayer mode and leader boards. It wasn't up and running yet though, so we weren't able to give it a try. The matchmaking will be a simple affair of just looking for a quick match and being put into a game with another player or creating a private and password protected match. The only real downside to this port of Mortal Kombat II is that Stryker, the most hilarious MK fighter, wasn't put into the series yet.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/754/754555p1.html

[quote name='Roufuss']Um... where did they say these would be playable online? They just said multiplayer capability, but unless I missed something, they never said these would be playable online.

It says "Or anywhere else with an internet connection" but that could mean that wherever there is an internet connection you can download these... the whole thing is worded very shitty.[/quote]

The title (MKII) will support 720p and feature online multiplayer (which we didn't get to try yet) as well as online leaderboards.
http://www1.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mortalkombat2/news.html?sid=6163911&mode=previews&tag=previews;title;2

It's the same for the others that GameSpot previewed, so there's your answer.

[quote name='Thomas96']what's the release date for Mortak Kombat II?[/quote]
What I've heard is that they may, starting in March, release one of them a month. In what order is anybody's guess.

[quote name='NamPaehc']How do you guys feel about the "one a month" plan?[/QUOTE]

If that's just the Midway releases, that's fine (assuming other content comes in between those weeks). But Sony has to realize they need to step up and get people aware of their digital distribution store, as well as help people anticipate releases.

[quote name='jkam']Yeah I agree with Roufuss it doesn't exactly say they will be online. If they are it might bode well for the system's future in that area but I wouldn't exactly hold my breath.[/QUOTE]Yes, these will be online, and here's confirmation:
Arcades may be all but gone for gamers in North America, but the advent of digital distribution with the new generation of consoles is ensuring that they aren't completely forgotten. Sony Online Entertainment today announced that it has licensed the rights to sell downloadable versions of a half-dozen Midway arcade games for the PlayStation 3.

The six games announced in the deal are Mortal Kombat II, Gauntlet II, Joust, Rampage World Tour, Rampart, and Championship Sprint. Sony Online said those titles were chosen specifically for their multiplayer components--the company is adding online play for all six.

The first titles from the deal should be made available in "early 2007." Sony Online Entertainment also hinted that this would be only the beginning of the company's downloadable PS3 offerings. The company's senior vice president and CFO John Needham said in a statement, "SOE will continue to explore additional opportunities to bring fun and unique digital content to the PlayStation Network."
You were just owned. These will be having online play, which is why Sony Online Entertainment is having them. Another victory for the PlayStation Network. Now I just hope they don't overcharge for them, like 80% of the XBLA downloads already are.

Awesome, I get to play the best MK game on my PS3, online. :D

LAS VEGAS--Although we just caught our first look at Midway's upcoming retro titles at CES earlier this month, we had to check them out again at Midway's press event. As we noted before, the games are being developed by Digital Eclipse and published by Sony Online Entertainment. While DE is hard at work on the games, reps from SOE were on hand with updated versions and a bit of news on pricing. All the titles were at the event, but we zeroed in on the one that we're most looking forward to: Mortal Kombat II.

The updated game still wasn't online, though we were told an online-enabled version is just about ready to go into testing. The biggest update to the game was its button layout, which is now set up in the traditional configuration rather than the awkward one that tripped us up in the last version of the game. Beyond that, the graphics and gameplay were on point, making this one of the best conversions of MKII we've seen in a long while. Though the release timing wasn't available for any of the games, SOE reps did confirm pricing: The retro titles will run for $4.99 each when they hit the PlayStation Store in the next few months.
Link

MKII, with online play, for $4.99 = steal. I'm definitely downloading that game. Pretty good deal if you ask me. The pricing on PSN is definitely beating the competitors.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Link

MKII, with online play, for $4.99 = steal. I'm definitely downloading that game. Pretty good deal if you ask me. The pricing on PSN is definitely beating the competitors.[/quote]
Damn. That's a nice price compared to the other retro game releases on Wii and 360. How much is UMK3 for XBLA?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Damn. That's a nice price compared to the other retro game releases on Wii and 360. How much is UMK3 for XBLA?[/quote]

From Wiki site it says:

Wii-
NES $5
TurboGrafx-16 $6
Mega Drive/Genesis $8
SNES $8
N64 $10

And for UMK3 I see it says "800 points" which I think translates to $10.

[quote name='NamPaehc']From Wiki site it says:

Wii-
NES $5
TurboGrafx-16 $6
Mega Drive/Genesis $8
SNES $8
N64 $10

And for UMK3 I see it says "800 points" which I think translates to $10.[/quote]
I know VC prices. I know that XBLA pricing isn't structured and just wasn't sure what UMK3 cost 360 owners.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I know VC prices. I know that XBLA pricing isn't structured and just wasn't sure what UMK3 cost 360 owners.[/quote]

Well, honestly, that stuff wasn't for you. At least not until the last part but I wanted to show the numbers so people could compair prices regardless.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Link

MKII, with online play, for $4.99 = steal. I'm definitely downloading that game. Pretty good deal if you ask me. The pricing on PSN is definitely beating the competitors.[/QUOTE]
$5 for MK2 is a no brainer.

And seriously, QFT x10 about the PSN pricing.

[quote name='whoknows']$5 for MK2 is a no brainer.

And seriously, QFT x10 about the PSN pricing.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but the PSN selection of PSOne titles for PSP is severely lacking, and they already undercut themselves by allowing the PSOne emulator to be hackable so quickly.

[quote name='mykevermin']I agree, but the PSN selection of PSOne titles for PSP is severely lacking, and they already undercut themselves by allowing the PSOne emulator to be hackable so quickly.[/QUOTE]From what I heard, there are indeed several PS1 games ready to go. Sony just doesn't want to release all at once, for they can keep the PS Store updated (I thought I remember hearing they had over 100 mostly finished a while ago). For now, most of the downloadable games will be from SCEA and Namco, followed by Capcom and possibly other publishers. It won't be easy to get most all third party games on the PS Store, since the 3rd parties do own the rights to their games, and they've have to agree about the pricing structure (I believe Sony tried to get Square Enix to participate, but they decided they rather remake/port the games to PSP and charge $40 for them). Japan though seems to have a larger third party selection, and they also got Rhapsody (Atlus has the rights to that one in the U.S.), Arc The Lad (Working Designs had the rights to the first in the U.S.), etc.

Eventually, the PS1 games will be played on PS3 (sometime this year), which cannot be hacked as easily I believe (It's hacked only on PSP atm).

To beat a dead horse, we get old arcade classics for 4.99, with on-line, while you have to pay 10.00$ for them on Virtual Console w/o mp, yet everyone bashes sony and Nintendo gets a free pass. If this was on the Wii, every media outlet would be covering it like the holy grail.

Anywho, Sony IMO definitely has been offering the best prices for it's PSN games.

bread's done
Back