Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
619rEMhSazL._SL500_.jpg

I'd never gotten into the Might and Magic series back in the day, so other than some name recognition, this game didn't really have much of a draw when it was quietly released last week. Thankfully I looked at some really nice reviews when I saw Best Buy had it for $20 this week, and after purchasing it on Monday night I've dropped 7 hours into the game.

It's a really addictive and enjoyable puzzle strategy RPG, where you enter into battles with random arrangements of units on the bottom screen and need to set up chains of the same colored unit to construct walls for defense from or charge attacks against your enemy on the top screen. Standard units are essentially infinite, but Elite and Champion units can be lost in battles. Each type of unit has a different charge time, which indicates how many turns it will take to unleash the attack.

Outside of battle, you can purchase Elite/Champion units, accept bounties (optional battles), test your wits with puzzle battles (defeat all enemy units in one turn), and do some limited grinding in caves with random encounters.

The story takes you from the Sylvans (elves) to the Havens (humans) and beyond, each with different types of units and skills.

If it all sounds very overwhelming and confusing, it's because it's hard to explain or really wrap your head around until you pick up the game and run through the first few battles or clear the pretty quick tutorials.

I'm near the beginning of the second of five viewpoints, so it's probably a good 20-30 hour game for most people. I highly recommend anyone check it out.

With any luck, Youtube will be more effective than my paragraphs!

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV2ohHRC5jE
Gameplay (intro up to first battle): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6NggJUPQfY

I'll probably pick this up once it drops down in price. Its a Ubisoft published title unfortunately, so other than the Coach games, the price is going to drop like a brick soon. I will be there to pick up the pieces once it has. Thanks for the insight though. Now its actually something on my "want" list. :D

[quote name='Squarehard']I'll probably pick this up once it drops down in price. Its a Ubisoft published title unfortunately, so other than the Coach games, the price is going to drop like a brick soon. I will be there to pick up the pieces once it has. Thanks for the insight though. Now its actually something on my "want" list. :D[/QUOTE]
Generally I'd agree, but it seems like they didn't ship too many of this one (a couple Best Buys only had one or two copies left, and Amazon's waiting on another shipment) so I suppose how fast and how low it drops will depend on how they restock.

But hey, 1 purchase at $10 is better than 0 purchases at $20 or $30!

"Tactical Galaga RPG" seems to be the best way to describe this game, and I sort of want to check it out. The generic anime motif is offputting, given that M&M does better with a more traditional fantasy look (think Boris Vallejo, if I'm remembering that name correctly), but this might be fun to check out a bit later after the usual holiday baloo has calmed down.

Haven't really dug the newer Might & Magic games but this looks pretty good. I'll have to pick this one up

[quote name='Strell']think Boris Vallejo[/QUOTE]

Style-wise, yeah but the art for Might & Magic always had variety unlike Vallejo who always draws the same girl (his wife) with him in every painting (seriously, look at the faces of the big titty girls and the hero, it's always the same)

[quote name='botticus']Generally I'd agree, but it seems like they didn't ship too many of this one (a couple Best Buys only had one or two copies left, and Amazon's waiting on another shipment) so I suppose how fast and how low it drops will depend on how they restock.

But hey, 1 purchase at $10 is better than 0 purchases at $20 or $30![/QUOTE]

Actually went ahead and picked it up on the chance it will be a hard title to find, plus I just checked the review, and this is probably one of the highest reviewed games for an Ubisoft published title on the DS. So not taking my chances on this one. Plus, I just checked my RZ account and I have a $10 certificate and I get free shipping since I'm a Premier Silver member, so in the end I'll be getting the game for $10 anyways. I'm too lazy to wait for these kind of things, especially if they're a good game. :D

[quote name='Squarehard']Actually went ahead and picked it up on the chance it will be a hard title to find, plus I just checked the review, and this is probably one of the highest reviewed games for an Ubisoft published title on the DS. So not taking my chances on this one. Plus, I just checked my RZ account and I have a $10 certificate and I get free shipping since I'm a Premier Silver member, so in the end I'll be getting the game for $10 anyways. I'm too lazy to wait for these kind of things, especially if they're a good game. :D[/QUOTE]
Effort put into thread justified!

[quote name='Strell']Whoa, bubble. You manage to look at the faces? I always get distracted for obvious reasons.[/QUOTE]

when you see enough of it, T&A doesn't faze you. You look at it as actual art. When growing up with family members that are huge fans of Frazetta (though I dig his fantasy work, his realist touch on his non-fantasy work gets my attention) and the Hilderbrant brothers, that shit ends up happening.

I'll second the recommendation as it certainly has a Puzzle Quest type of addictiveness to it. The game is worth the full price so the $20 sale at best buy is a steal.

I'd even say its one of the Top 5 DS games of 2009.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']This game wasn't even on my radar until a Penny Arcade post the other day.[/QUOTE]
For me it was a recent issue of Edge that had both a review and an interview with the developers.

Though I love both puzzle and strategy games, I can't see myself picking this one up any time soon. My backlog's a bit overwhelming right now.

[quote name='blueshinra']For me it was a recent issue of Edge that had both a review and an interview with the developers.

Though I love both puzzle and strategy games, I can't see myself picking this one up any time soon. My backlog's a bit overwhelming right now.[/QUOTE]

I think my backlog will forever be overwhelming, so I can't use that excuse since it won't go down even if I stop buying games. XD

yep, it's a good game, though it's sad to see that it's hard to find. I won't be getting to best buy anytime soon so hopefully amazon will get another shipment.

pretty cool game. I can't say that I'm a big fan of they way they make you feel in being underpowered even when you beat everyone you come across in the bounty sidequests. Hopefully it opens up a bit more when you get to the meat and potatoes of the game but where I'm at in the prologue, I can play it perfectly but I still get schooled.

This shit's fabulously unbalanced. I just played vs. my friend who was using Fiona. :/

*Her dead units form walls immediately
*Her spell is overpowered hax
*Her bone dragon has 105 power and eats my units, gaining their power
*Her vampire eats my units, giving her health
*With blood ring, when her units kill mine, she gets health

Is there a strategy to beat this cunt? It's impossible to stall her unless you're charging up for one massive attack, but good luck with that, which means you can only get a chance if you launch an attack uber quickly, and good luck with that as well. I'll try out the other people who aren't Anwen or Godrick I guess, but this shit shouldn't be rock paper scissors.

I don't recall who in the campaign you used against someone who had Fiona's setup, but obviously it was possible to beat the CPU in that case.

I would think Anwen would negate a lot of the wall nonsense with the deer, and Godric's knights should be able to wear down the champion units decently, but I'm sure it's all a little different playing against an intelligent person. Though I guess I don't see why it's any more difficult for you to charge up for a champion attack than it is for her with the dragon. If you have access to Nadia, her Sorcerer Elites (2 turns to charge) will stop any units she hits from charging, so that might be the best defense against the dragons.

I finished up the game last night, the last few battles were mildly difficult but I beat the last boss with 4 HP left using lucky lightning strikes. Awesome game overall, though I doubt I'll ever do much multiplayer with it due to lack of Wi-Fi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping to pick it up cheap, it's Ubi anyways ;)

I always thought they could do an RPG or a TRPG like HoMM... it would be much similar to the AoE DS games, which did fairly well and I enjoyed them.

Just started this last night, seems really interesting. That battle system is pretty neat, not sure how long it will hold my interest, but a lot of people seem to be sinking hours into the game so that gives me hope for it to last me.

Finished last night. I loved it all around and will probably go through it again after I finish a few more games on my list. Anyway, thumbs up here.

I got this used and it didn't come with a manual. Does anyone know what the restrictions/differences are for single-card multiplayer vs multi-card multiplayer?

I tried playing one game with my wife (single-card, since we only have one copy of the game), and it just dumped us into a game without letting us choose our factions or even the units for the faction. No idea if we had a special item equipped or not. Is it always like that? In multi-card do you get to choose everything before the match, like in campaign mode? Thanks.

bread's done
Back