MiiVerse - I'm not getting it.

Brad Bishop

CAGiversary!
So there's the MiiVerse. It looks like it's a graphical Twitter for the Wii U.

I don't get what the point of it is. People post things I don't care about (much like normal Twitter). Games ask me to post things that others don't care about (I've disabled that in the games).

It's appears to be the video game equivalent to Facebook's, "I'm eating a sandwich."

So, am I missing something larger with this or is that about it?

That's basically it. I can't say that I like it, but I guess I don't hate it? In Super Mario 3D World, when you beat a level you will see a bunch of posts scroll by. They can be really funny because of how corny they are, so there's that. I suppose it's good if you want to post a question, and get help? Though, I'm sure it's 1000x faster to just go on your PC or phone and find it quicker.

If anything, it's just something else to do.. I guess?

I wouldn't say I hate it.. It's a mild annoyance.

I can't imagine you posting, "Hey, can someone tell me how to get me past the whatever in world something-something?," and getting any sort or useful reply back. Most people posting to it just seem to be happy creating noise - not horrible noise, it's somewhere between useless and goofy.

When I got stuck in zombiU I asked a question and got the correct answer within 10 minutes. I think it's a cool feature and funny to read the comments, most people in there don't seem to know how to write in correct english.

Well that's pretty cool. I'd have thought that there was so much chatter that most don't pay attention to it.

I'm ancient in video game terms and I enjoy reading posts on miiverse. Games with it integrated are best (nsmbu, sm3dw).

Well that's pretty cool. I'd have thought that there was so much chatter that most don't pay attention to it.
Yeah, it might depend of what game you are asking about. I bet you would get no help in the funky barn community. (funky barn was giant bomb's miiverse community of 2012)

For SM3DW I like to post cryptic hints where some of the more obscure stars are located. Behind spoiler tags, of course.

ku-xlarge.jpg

MiiVerse needs to exist.

I'm warming up to it a bit. The big thing is to allow me to switch off bugging me in games while I'm playing to post.

That pic above is just sad.

OK - I like it. I posted a message with a question for a world on SM3DW and received an answer about 10min later. That was cool.

Some things I'm still not keen on BUT they can be turned off (so that's fine with me):

- I don't want to be prompted to post after each level

- The Miis running around in ghost mode didn't do much for me. I suppose if you were researching a level it might be useful but, in the cases where I'm stuck I'll just look at YouTube as there's always some 10yo kid who's figured this stuff out.

BUT I could see where others might like these things so it's nice there's an option. The Miiverse has changed my mind from: "What's this stupid thing?" (because you always want to assume something new is stupid and bad :) ) to: "Ok, it's a nice little close-nit community of like players and it's managed so you don't have to deal with jerks making it an unfriendly place."

I like it because it gives games a little more social aspect that Nintendo games have been lacking.  While not outright online multiplayer, for games like 3D world, NSMBU, and WWHD it's kind of a pseudo online multiplayer where players can interact with one another in a more controlled setting without the risk of making kids vulnerable to assholes on the internet (voice chat, etc).  

I also like that you can disable it in most games if you don't want spoilers or to be bothered with it while playing. 

I get that Nintendo wants to create a friendly environment and filter out the assholes, but I do hope they expand on this community aspect by eventually broadening their online multiplayer services for adult gamers. 

I think the miiverse is really fun. Granted there are a lot of little kids posting nonsense on there. But it's a good place to share gaming news/experiences with other people. WindWaker HD comes to mind with how much fun I had with miiverse. To each their own, but I enjoy it! :)

bread's done
Back