Minidisc player opinions needed

dd_mcdoodle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
Hey all, I am thinking about getting a Sony Minidisc player, this one to be exact:
Link
I just wanted to know, if you have or have had a Minidisc player, what is your opinion on them? The price of the player and discs is not a problem for me. I would like to know about the quality (of the player and of the actual playback), the speed of transfer from computer, ease of use, etc.. Thanks and have a great day.

I have a netMD. I think it's the prior generation. I won it in a contest at work.

I love it. No skips, about 3-5 hours per MD, and I get hours and hours of playback.

Now, your questions.

1) Quality: At least equal to MP3s. If you take it down from a CD, I think it sounds better than an MP3.

2) Speed of transfer: I only have USB 1.1, but it's still pretty fast, about as fast as burning a CD.

3) Ease of Use: A drunken monkey could use it, but only if said monkey had not had a lobotomy.

Thanks for the reply, fanskad. I was planning on getting a netMD player. Would I really be able to fit 3-5 hours of music on one disc? I read somewhere that it can only hold that much at the lowest quality, and I want something like the quality of a 128kbps mp3 file. My computer also only has USB 1.1, but if you say it is about the same speed as burning a CD, it should be fine for me.

I routinely got 3-4 CDs on one MiniDisc without any problem. Entire CDs. THe software even put them in folders by Disc title and song title.

I always used about the high-average quality.

I guess about 15-30 minutes total to burn one MD (with 3-4 CDs on it.)

I use to love my Minidisc player before it broke and I got an iPod...

If your interested in having really high quality you should definatly get an MD considering my guitar teacher actually did some recording of his band on them. So yeah the quality is good.

If you just want to cram a ton of music on to them, as I did, I would check out the newer generation ones because they can hold up to ten hours of music. Oh yeah, another plus to MDs is the battery life which is almost unparraled. Buy one :)

Yeah, those new HiMDs can take 10 hours of music. plus, you can use them for data, just like an iPod.

I prefer the MDs to the iPods. I sell both at my job, and get better feedback from the customers who bought the MDs. Though... I haven't had any returns of either devices...

*EDIT* Spelling, a little tipsy, sorry.

THe biggest downside I came across with MD, is the software wasn't really good. It had to convert all the mp3 files into their own propritary format. The transfer speed is slower then my ipod, but some people don't care about that.

I have a home Sony MD deck and two Sharp recorders. mindisc.org is a great resource, and I typically buy my MD stuff from minidisco.com. Sony is a real bear about their ATRAC format, which sucks if you want to transfer digital songs between players. If you're starting from scratch and burning your CDs directly, and want to stick with Sony hardware, it should be no problem.

Ok, I have a question:

Whats better, the one the OP posted, or this one:

Sony MZ-NE410 Net MD Walkman Player/Recorder ?

Thanks

[quote name='dmpolska']Ok, I have a question:

Whats better, the one the OP posted, or this one:

Sony MZ-NE410 Net MD Walkman Player/Recorder ?

Thanks[/quote]

I believe it is the previous generation of the one the OP pointed to. Probably not very different, maybe a slight software update.

On another note, does anyone know a cheap, small way to add power to an unpowered mic? I have an mzn505 and would like to use it as a voice recorder.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']You won't find a better device for bootleg concert recordings. :twisted:[/quote]

Most of the ones mentioned don't have a line-in, so I would think almost anything with a mic would be better.

I bought a Sony Hi-MD player myself about a month ago, and I'm having unfathomably frustrating problems with their SonicStage software. Since a lot of MD owners have posted in this thread, perhaps I can get some help on this. I've attempted several times to burn a folder of MP3's (compiled into an album), but the program freezes on the last file every fucking time. I researched the problem online, and found two tidbits of information. I read that this could be being caused by Windows XP Service Pack 2; something about it not allowing full port access which SonicStage requires to wrap everything up. I also read that RealPlayer is capable of burning MD's as well, but I couldn't get it to recognize my player (probably since it only listed Net-MD and not Hi-MD). I can burn CD's to MD's perfectly, but burning MP3's just doesn't want to cooperate with me. Has anyone experienced this, or know a solution?

bread's done
Back