Minimum $100 Gift Card for PS3 or XBOX @ BB

Just thought I'd share my trade in experience. I traded in a fatty old school 360 from 2008 with a power brick, simple AV cords, 20gb hard drive and wireless controller. The geek squad guy was certain I'd only get the base $6 for it but then he asked another CS guy and he knew about the promo. After taking my info (even fingerprinting me) they finished the transaction and I got a $100 GC. They only checked if it powered on and didn't bother trying the disc tray. Super easy...

Also decided to trade in about 8 games. Here's where things get weird... Online it says there is a 50% bonus, but in store I received 100% bonus + 10% for GCU. On top of that their system was acting weird and slow but they scanned my games in and told me I would get some ridiculous amount of credit. I was curious why but they guy behind the register just said bonus and promos, blah blah. Ok, so I take my GC and receipts and head home with A LOT more credit than I ever expected to get. I get home and look at the receipt and it looks like the guys scanned a few games 2-3 times. Is this something I should still feel guilty about, or is it their fault, their problem? Anyone know if they can remove credit from the gift cards I was given?

Sorry for the long first post, any advice would be nice.
The way I feel about situations like this (ie: cashiers not ringing you up for products, giving you extra change, etc.) is if you notice it while you're there/while it's happening, you have a moral obligation to let them know about the mistake. However, if you don't notice until you're home (or even in the parking lot), then fuck it.

Last edited by a moderator:
at this point no but you might want to inform the manager because if you went over the 3 game trade limit, they will ban you from trading in. If you didn't, just forget about it, there is nothing that can really be done.
Thanks. I don't want to derail the thread, but looks like my Gears of War Triple pack was scanned 4 times :(. This was my first time trading in at BB. So essentially it becomes a decision between keeping an extra ~$100 and being able to trade in again? I don't know how neither of us noticed during the whole trade in process. I wouldn't be banned from buying and using my GCU discounts tho right? Thanks again.

Thanks. I don't want to derail the thread, but looks like my Gears of War Triple pack was scanned 4 times :(. This was my first time trading in at BB. So essentially it becomes a decision between keeping an extra ~$100 and being able to trade in again? I don't know how neither of us noticed during the whole trade in process. I wouldn't be banned from buying and using my GCU discounts tho right? Thanks again.
no, you are probably flagged. you might as well go over the limit now.

Traded in my 360 Arcade version with 256 MB for $100.  Paid $100 for it brand new 4+ years ago, although I rarely used it.  Still had all my original packaging, the lady just glanced through the box, didn't test anything.  

dont worry, I've done more than 3 earlier this year and no bans.

no, you are probably flagged. you might as well go over the limit now.
I second this. If they scanned it 4 times, fuck it just go all out now. YOLO, unless you can convince the manager to call corporate and try to fix it.

I second this. If they scanned it 4 times, fuck it just go all out now. YOLO, unless you can convince the manager to call corporate and try to fix it.
there is nothing the manager can do, a third-party company sends out the ban hammer. they take their sweet sweet time to ban people anyway. you probably have atleast a year before it catches up to you.

Traded in 2 old white 360s, one 20GB and one Arcade. I didn't know which Arcade unit it was so it took forever. They were able to trade both in, but had to do them as seperate transactions.

Flipped a 360 + controller I picked up from Craigslist, scored $25 on top. which wasn't bad, I figure. I ended up trading about 10 games I had that were either 100% done or on PSN+ and scored about $128. Overall not bad. I'm almost done paying off the Xbox One finally.

there is nothing the manager can do, a third-party company sends out the ban hammer. they take their sweet sweet time to ban people anyway. you probably have atleast a year before it catches up to you.
So basically I can get banned for a mistake the BestBuy employee made? I didn't trick anyone or try to take advantage of a promo. I literally had single copies of games and they scanned a few of them multiple times. I can't even remember the geek squad guy scanning any particular game more than twice due to an error reading the bar code. Just got that $30 GCU extension email and wouldn't want to activate it if I wouldn't be able to use my account to get the benefits down the line.

So basically I can get banned for a mistake the BestBuy employee made? I didn't trick anyone or try to take advantage of a promo. I literally had single copies of games and they scanned a few of them multiple times. I can't even remember the geek squad guy scanning any particular game more than twice due to an error reading the bar code. Just got that $30 GCU extension email and wouldn't want to activate it if I wouldn't be able to use my account to get the benefits down the line.
Obviously it's their fault but you didn't look at the paper you signed?

Traded in one of my 360s with a cheap HDMI and even cheaper third party controller, and a 160GB slim PS3 that's been screeching at me lately (but still worked 100% fine).  Guy never tested any of them, just asked if they worked the last time I used them.  He had to do them as separate transactions to get the bonus for both, but it still only took about 20 minutes total.

but it still only took about 20 minutes total.
You're lucky your state is lenient on trade ins. In L.A. we have a sign on the electronic board, sign a printed paper, they have to scan the DL, then scan the right thumb print. The whole process is pain in the ass and very slow if a less experienced employee is encountered.

Obviously it's their fault but you didn't look at the paper you signed?
The signature area was its own sheet. I had to ask for the correct paper and once the guy found it, he looked at it and folded it and gave it to me, which I put in my backpack I had to bring in my xbox. Early merry Xmas to me, maybe? Guess I'll just ride it out and see what happens. Thanks for input everyone.

You're lucky your state is lenient on trade ins. In L.A. we have a sign on the electronic board, sign a printed paper, they have to scan the DL, then scan the right thumb print. The whole process is pain in the ass and very slow if a less experienced employee is encountered.
Yup. Took me a little over 45 minutes. I started to feel bad because the costumer service line behind me really started to build up.

atleast they didn't ask you for your picture. LOL

They asked me for a drivers license.

They didn't even check the condition of the controller just the xbox and if it turned on. Tried to buy 4 kindle cards but they only had 3, the end.

The signature area was its own sheet. I had to ask for the correct paper and once the guy found it, he looked at it and folded it and gave it to me, which I put in my backpack I had to bring in my xbox. Early merry Xmas to me, maybe? Guess I'll just ride it out and see what happens. Thanks for input everyone.
like i said, you are not automatically going to get ban, it takes atleat one year , or more. i would just not worry about it, and be very careful in the amount of of duplicates i trade in

They asked me for a drivers license.

They didn't even check the condition of the controller just the xbox and if it turned on. Tried to buy 4 kindle cards but they only had 3, the end.
gunnm, so you don't own any xbox 360 anymore?

gunnm, so you don't own any xbox 360 anymore?
I was able to get that $40 arcade from AWD which runs better then the xbox I traded in if I didn't have ghosts and asscreed 4 to play I probably would have traded this xbox in too. I traded in my resident evil xbox which only got $1 trade in prior to this promo.

Just thought I'd share my trade in experience. I traded in a fatty old school 360 from 2008 with a power brick, simple AV cords, 20gb hard drive and wireless controller. The geek squad guy was certain I'd only get the base $6 for it but then he asked another CS guy and he knew about the promo. After taking my info (even fingerprinting me) they finished the transaction and I got a $100 GC. They only checked if it powered on and didn't bother trying the disc tray. Super easy...

Also decided to trade in about 8 games. Here's where things get weird... Online it says there is a 50% bonus, but in store I received 100% bonus + 10% for GCU. On top of that their system was acting weird and slow but they scanned my games in and told me I would get some ridiculous amount of credit. I was curious why but they guy behind the register just said bonus and promos, blah blah. Ok, so I take my GC and receipts and head home with A LOT more credit than I ever expected to get. I get home and look at the receipt and it looks like the guys scanned a few games 2-3 times. Is this something I should still feel guilty about, or is it their fault, their problem? Anyone know if they can remove credit from the gift cards I was given?

Sorry for the long first post, any advice would be nice.
No, they can't do their job correctly then keep it.

I was able to get that $40 arcade from AWD which runs better then the xbox I traded in if I didn't have ghosts and asscreed 4 to play I probably would have traded this xbox in too. I traded in my resident evil xbox which only got $1 trade in prior to this promo.
should of traded both in, and get a slim xbox 360 on black friday

traded in an xbox 360 wouldnt let me trade it in without a hardrive so i went to gamestop and bought one for 20 bucks took it to em and they ran it through didnt check anything they didnt even know about the promo they wanted to give me 6 bucks im a happy man

traded in an xbox 360 wouldnt let me trade it in without a hardrive so i went to gamestop and bought one for 20 bucks took it to em and they ran it through didnt check anything they didnt even know about the promo they wanted to give me 6 bucks im a happy man
Comma and periods are your friends.

Forgot to mention that today what is weird is that the CS insisted on knowing my 360 was bought from BBY, I said no and she didn't look too happy, don't know what that was about.

Tried to trade in my old 512MB arcade system that had been collecting dust for a while.  First store said their system was down and told me to go elsewhere.  Second store wouldn't take it because I had a rechargable pack in the controller and they wouldn't take it without the AA battery holder.   :headache:  Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Traded in my old 20 GB Xbox 360 for the $100 also with Madden 25 for $32. Tried trading in Warriors Orochi 3 as well but it kept up only as .50 cents instead of the $6 as stated on the website plus the 100% bonus. Will try at another store tomorrow. Hopefully I can pick up a Xbox 360 at Walmart this Black Friday.

How are people having success with this ?

3 best buys in NY are saying they wont take it, one even said "theyre not allowed to buy used stuff because they dont have a pawn license?"

Wtf?
Not sure where in NY you are but a month ago I saw a guy trade an XBox360 and slew of games for it (and other consoles) at the Middletown, NY BB. I have traded a few games there too. I am pissed that 2 months ago I took my PS3 80GB fat apart to clean out the dust. Seems it is very much YMMV if they care about the seals. The little rubber thing was so dried out it fell apart. So all I have over that hole is a piece of black tape. I still might try it not sure yet. Put it towards a Vita probably if I do.

Sweet. I have a launch core 360 that would only net $50-$60 with the GameStop 90% extra trade in credit. I normally don't shop at best buy but what the hell...

Traded my 4gb slim in with some games for $164 credit. Then traded in my wireless controllers and play & charge kits to game stop for $32. Today was a good day. :)

make sure you put a new cover/good looking spray paint on the console if you plan to trade it in. if it's not flawless plating then they will make up that it was modded and won't take it. go figure, bs.

Tried to trade in my old 512MB arcade system that had been collecting dust for a while. First store said their system was down and told me to go elsewhere. Second store wouldn't take it because I had a rechargable pack in the controller and they wouldn't take it without the AA battery holder. :headache: Guess I'll try again tomorrow.
Wtf.. surprised they would even know the difference.

How are people having success with this ?

3 best buys in NY are saying they wont take it, one even said "theyre not allowed to buy used stuff because they dont have a pawn license?"

Wtf?
My store has these rules. We can only trade in items with a Best Buy receipt. Has to do with city pawn shop laws, and the fact every employee would need a background check and fingerprints on file for things to be legal. GameStop can work around it b/c from what I'm told they are grandfathered in and have so many less employees. It's terrible because I always have to give business to a Best Buy 10 minutes away from mine because they are in a different city and therefore are bound by different rules.

I think you guys with slims will get much higher selling on eBay.
For the 250gb, absolutely. However, the 4gb models look to be selling for $100-$120 if they don't have a box. After eBay and Paypal fees, you'd probably be walking away with about the same amount and Best Buy offers a lot less hassle. They really won't be getting as good of a deal as those turning in launch 360s.

Success with my original 20gb model w/o HDMI. The serial number didn't match the box, because I had two consoles RROD that MS replaced. No hassles, he just tested it. They didn't have SKUs to take the accessories and they weren't paying much for the games I had. I'm just giving them to a friend.

They required that I included a wireless (not wired) controller and headset.

I have a 120GB black Elite with a wired controller and HDMI cable. I don't have the original component/composite cables or headset. Am I out of luck or is this a YMMV thing?

bread's done
Back