Minimum $100 Gift Card for PS3 or XBOX @ BB

Customer Service BBY employee here. Here are some things you guys should know about the trade it.

1) Any type of PS3/360 system is accepted.

2) No receipt is needed.

3) Must have all cords that came with the system (no controller = -$10)

4) Only test to see if it boots up. We don't connect it online to see if it's banned.

5) The $100 is applied at the very end. The transaction will say "$1" until it's at the last stage.

6) You have to give a TON of information such as your license, work place, work address, work number, and even a fingerprint.

If you guys have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer.
I'm sure you are a BBY employee but this post is no more helpful than one from any other random person. This deal is extremely YMMV and everything on your list except for number 1 and 5 are incorrect for some people. This if the first I've ever even heard of fingerprinting for trade ins. That seems pretty nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you are a BBY employee but this post is no more helpful than one from any other random person. This deal is extremely YMMV and everything on your list except for number 1 and 5 are incorrect for some people. This if the first I've ever even heard of fingerprinting for trade ins. That seems pretty nuts.
then you will love when they ask to take your picture, like you are a celebrity.

Yep i got finger printed. And not just for console trade in but also just regular game trade ins.

So pissed.

I found my old X360 that has the E74 error, the original box with all the manuals, a controller, a headset, and the component cables. Of course I can't find the damn power supply.

What if you don't have the cables the connect to the TV but instead give the ones that came with the XBOX  Slim. As just a way to complete the package is that acceptable?

What if you don't have the cables the connect to the TV but instead give the ones that came with the XBOX Slim. As just a way to complete the package is that acceptable?
For people asking what is needed you should call ahead and check with your BB, this seems to be very YMMV from store to store and it seems from customer rep to customer rep.

Long Island Best Buy's definitely need receipts for trade-ins. I had to go to Flushing to trade mine in and it was handled just fine. There were already a number of 360s sitting on the customer service desk when I went in.

I had a black Elite, HDMI (lost original component/composite cables), power brick, official wired controller that did not come with the system, and 120GB HDD. I had to sign some papers and give ID, but it was smooth.

They didn't turn on or test my system at the Flushing store, btw. Mine worked fine, anyhow.

Anyone think I can get more than $100 for a 1st generation iPad (16gb) on Craigslist?  Or should I take the $100 while I can?  It's only valued at $37 on BB's site normally.

They didn't turn on or test my PS3 or Xbox 360.  (Both had been repaired from YLOD and RROD.)  

They examined the warranty sticker, which was loose, on the PS3 but still did the trade in.

At best buy trading a xbox that I found at a pawn shop for $30 they checking it to make sure it works they hooked it up and tested the games

Anyone think I can get more than $100 for a 1st generation iPad (16gb) on Craigslist? Or should I take the $100 while I can? It's only valued at $37 on BB's site normally.
Ouch, just missed Target giving out $200 for any iPad. This is probably the highest you can get. Maybe like $150 on cragislist.

Got mine. All he did was plug it in and check the device storage, which it had none. I had no hard drive (left it in the car), and he took it:

Wireless Controller (With an empty AA pack and charging cable) , Power cable, console.

can one of you smart guys plz tell me how to clean up the ps3 before trading it in --- i want to remove my personal info/game downloads etc.

Just traded in an old 360. Went flawless and I bought Amazon GC with the BB one. There were about 25 people in line for the XBone at 6pm.

I found a working 20gb 360 (with HDD and L4D2 inside) for $20 at Goodwill today. I can't decide if I want to trade it or keep it. :whistle2:/

If I clear the data from my system (PS3 or 360), is there any way to get the data back through another 360? Is everything tied to your PSN name/Gamertag? I've always been confused about this. I don't game much these days, and I'd definitely trade in my 360 and PS3 if I can clear the data but somehow get it back if I were to buy a new 360/PS3.

just got back from trading in my 20 gig xbox. It was a bit of a struggle because the guy didn't know how to plug in component cables (he plugged in just the power cord and came up with the red lights). I felt like microsoft customer support (do you have the plugs in the right colors...is the hard drive secure lol). That experience and best buys trading system going super slow...it took me about 45 mins to get out of there.  but i got the gift card and all is well in the world lol.

I'll definitely try this. I have a Xbox I bought from a cousin that I've only used to play Bayonetta. It has no hdmi. Probably a first gen system.

JJSP, on 21 Nov 2013 - 9:10 PM, said:
I found a working 20gb 360 (with HDD and L4D2 inside) for $20 at Goodwill today. I can't decide if I want to trade it or keep it. :whistle2:/
That's an easy one. With what kind it is and where you found it, that thing is headed straight to RRODville.

Found it. Thanks for your help.

Got any more bogus Gamefly deals?
Posting an honest observation about Gamefly is far more honorable that knowingly trading in a broken console for $100.

People these days and their "get something for nothing" mentality. Really pretty pathetic.

Denied.

I brought in my Halo 3 edition Xbox 360. They said I needed the original 20g HDD. Without it I can't trade it in. If I can get it back from my sister in law then maybe I can get the $100 gift card.

I really dont want to trudge through 59 pages of this, does the 360 trade in require a hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

I really dont want to trudge through 59 pages of this, does the 360 trade in require a hard drive?

Thanks in advance.
Mine did not. But mine was an Arcade unit without a hard drive cover. I've seen where people have put non-Arcade machines without the hard drives and Best Buy just put it in as an Arcade unit. I've also seen where people haven't been so lucky.

Extremely YMMV here. Won't know until you try.

Mine did not. But mine was an Arcade unit without a hard drive cover. I've seen where people have put non-Arcade machines without the hard drives and Best Buy just put it in as an Arcade unit. I've also seen where people haven't been so lucky.

Extremely YMMV here. Won't know until you try.
YMMV. If you're in boston, the braintree store powers the console up and checks that everything is there. At the dedham store, they took in my RROD 360 w/out a hard drive. They did not even bother to power it up to check.

My brother in laws 20 Gb PS3 freezes up after he plays a game on it, but it'll do everything else just fine. Would he get in trouble if he traded it in and they later found out it can't play games after like 10 minutes?

Yeah, I second this, if you really wanted an Xbox I'd trade yours in and get a 4GB slim for $100 at wal mart next week.
It's somewhat YMMV in regards to what they're requiring for this, right? I've got the system, HDD, and power brick. If I keep it, I've gotta pick up an AV cable and controller.

Testing it so far and it plays like a champ. Powered on with no issue, doesn't sound like an airplane, etc. What scared me is the manufacturing date: this bad boy just turned 7.

Wait, so I noticed it says minimum of $100.00 dollars, so if I include my 2 controllers and my 120gb hard drive do I get more money? If not I'm going to leave the hard drive out.

Just traded in an old 360. Went flawless and I bought Amazon GC with the BB one. There were about 25 people in line for the XBone at 6pm.
This is going to be a sort of stupid question... but where are the Amazon CG usually in a BB store...?

It blows my mind that this is even possible...

Yeah, I second this, if you really wanted an Xbox I'd trade yours in and get a 4GB slim for $100 at wal mart next week.
How would you use a Best Buy Gift Card in walmart though. I want to trade my GF xbox for a newer slim as I know it's on it's way out but all the BF xbox deals are with a bundle. I rather just buy the slim and pay less for it.

bread's done
Back