Missed the XBox boat. Is it worth it now?

G-Dog

CAGiversary!
I never picked up an XBox, and I want to play some of the games I missed. Considering the price of a used system and the games, is it still a sound investment or should I save up for when the 360's don't break as often?

I agree, and even if your not a modder, Head in to EB - You can find TONS of awesome games sub $6.

Check out Morrowind if you do get one. $6 at EB. Also Splinter Cell 1 & 2 are like $3 now.

So many good prices on great games - Nows a great time!

Buy a 360 and just buy backward compatible games.

I love my Xbox- but if I was starting today, I'd just buy a 360 and get the BC games.

Cheers.

[quote name='friedram']Buy a 360 and just buy backward compatible games.

I love my Xbox- but if I was starting today, I'd just buy a 360 and get the BC games.

Cheers.[/quote]

I will have to agree. If I was starting to get an Xbox today, I would go for the 360. Don't get me wrong though, I still use my original Xbox alot and I love it. I'm just saying that you might as well start with the new generation.

Right, but you can find a used Xbox for about $50. You can get tons of great games like Ninja Gaiden Black, Otogi, Phantom Dust, Halo 1&2, Psychonauts, Forza, etc for cheap as well. You could buy an Xbox and tons of kick ass games for the price of just the Xbox 360.

Ditto on the people suggesting you turn your XBox into a media center. You can do it for FREE without even opening the damn thing. Google "XBMC" to see what you can do. Also, I would say it would be worth it because, as a recent first-time buyer of an XBox, I have to say it has a LOT of great games to play that you have indeed missed out on.

With the 360, you miss out on Riddick and many PS2/Xbox dual releases, like Psi-Ops. Other than that, its basically down to... do you want to mod the Xbox or do you just want to get the 360? Between Buffy, UC2, Phantom Dust etc... the list goes on... you'll have most of the Xbox's finest... excepting Riddick.

I've seen some cool shit with a modded Xbox, but really none of it I'd have any use for. COOL stuff though.

[quote name='ananag112']Right, but you can find a used Xbox for about $50. You can get tons of great games like Ninja Gaiden Black, Otogi, Phantom Dust, Halo 1&2, Psychonauts, Forza, etc for cheap as well. You could buy an Xbox and tons of kick ass games for the price of just the Xbox 360.[/quote]

Where would you get a used XBOX for $50?

I pronounced my XBOX dead today -- I thought it was the power switch board, but replacing it didn't work and led to what looks like a motherboard failure.

I'd gladly pay $50 for another XBOX -- I have too many games, played and unplayed, that I would like to play.

[quote name='RollingSkull']With the 360, you miss out on Riddick and many PS2/Xbox dual releases, like Psi-Ops. Other than that, its basically down to... do you want to mod the Xbox or do you just want to get the 360? Between Buffy, UC2, Phantom Dust etc... the list goes on... you'll have most of the Xbox's finest... excepting Riddick.

I've seen some cool shit with a modded Xbox, but really none of it I'd have any use for. COOL stuff though.[/quote]

Riddick is being remade for the 360.

Seriously, just wait and buy a 360. Most of the ones worth playing are BC, and theres alot more new games to make up the ones that aren't.

Go to ebgames, go to the used section, and look over about more then 100 games. You cant play every game on xbox360 from xbox, so its wise to have both.

I picked up a used Xbox and 2 wireless controlers for like $100 bucks last month and I friggin love it. I picked up Halo and Fable at Best Buy, and hit up Gamestop for a bunch of random cheap games.

In the past 5 years I've had the PS2, Gamecube, and PSP, but never got an Xbox or moved up to next gen. I planned on just upgrading my PC until I discovered I would actually have to buy a new rig to move on to next gen PC gaming, so I decided I'd try new consoles. I was orginally going to get a Wii, but since it was NEVER in stock anywhere I just kept on waiting. Finally they got 5 in stock at my local Gamecrazy that no one knew about so I went to pick one up. While I was there I saw the Xbox for like $70 and $15 wireless controllers on the wall and just decided to screw the Wii and pick up an Xbox.

I was in the same boat you were in - deciding whether to wait for the better consoles and pick up a old Xbox or just go right to 360. After a lot of research online after buying my Xbox, I discovered that while the Falcon chips are now being put into Xbox360s they don't really make a huge difference in heat. The real problem is the GPU, which is getting a new chip called Jasper next summer and that will make a huge difference in performance. After finding that out, I knew I made the right choice. Plus, by that time next year I will have paid my damn car off (never buy new cars) so I'll have some extra cash in my pocket.

While you could just get a 360 and pick up games for original Xbox, not all of them are backwards compatible and some that are have flaws when run on the 360. My Xbox works fine except for some reason my discs have to be immaculate in order for it to read them properly. Not a big deal, but when you buy a used game it takes a couple tries before it starts up.

I still have to pick up some major titles like Ninja Gaiden and Halo 2. My brother-in-law tells me Blockbuster has a used copy of NG for $5 at Blockbuster, so I'm probably gonna pick that up as well.

I loved my Xbox before I got my 360 and I still do but they break down very easily. There's just nothing worse than losing several hours of game saves because the hard drive melts down.

hell yeah! it's worth it!

My personal picks that are:

MK: Shaolin Monks, Project Snowblind, Advent Rising, Area 51, Beyond Good & Evil, Brother's in Arms, Capcom vs SNK 2 EO, Demon Stone, R: Racing Evolution, Second Sight, Sudeki, SVC Chaos, Matrix: Path of Neo, X-men Legands.

These games are not backwards compatible.

It is worth it. There are some good games for the system. I actually have two xboxs in my media center. One is an original, which I have used too much lately since I've been into RPGs on my PS2. My other xbox is a cheap one I got from a garage sale. I softmodded and installed xbox media center on it.

Xbox media center is a pretty good program. I use it to watch tv shows I record with my computer. It's a good option if you can't afford a 360 or a HTPC. I think it's a better option for watching media than a 360 since it supports a wider amount of formats.

If you're still looking for a xbox. I have a xbox bundle for sale. shoot me a pm if you're interested in getting one. If not you can discard this message.

Xbox system w/ 3 controller: 1 Controller S, 1 regular fat one, and one third party controller. and the official headset.
Halo
Halo 2 + multiplayer map pack disc
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Dead or Alive 3
Ninja Gaiden
Silent Hill 4
Kingdom Under Fire:Heroes
Jade Empire
Manhunt
Madden 2005
Mechassault 2
Fable
Gunvalkyrie
X-Men Legends
Forza
Hunter The Reckoning
Conker live & reloaded

[quote name='Slayzz']If you're still looking for a xbox. I have a xbox bundle for sale. shoot me a pm if you're interested in getting one. If not you can discard this message.

Xbox system w/ 3 controller: 1 Controller S, 1 regular fat one, and one third party controller. and the official headset.
Halo
Halo 2 + multiplayer map pack disc
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Dead or Alive 3
Ninja Gaiden
Silent Hill 4
Kingdom Under Fire:Heroes
Jade Empire
Manhunt
Madden 2005
Mechassault 2
Fable
Gunvalkyrie
X-Men Legends
Forza
Hunter The Reckoning
Conker live & reloaded[/quote]

sorry, it's a little off topic.

hey man, nice collection! I call that the Xbox Essentials Bundle

One great thing about the old Xbox is that the games look great on an HDTV. A lot of the games do widescreen (even if the case doesn't mention it), and a few even do 1080 and 720 resolutions. The HD games I've tried play smoothly too, which is wild considering the Xbox is last generation hardware.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']One great thing about the old Xbox is that the games look great on an HDTV. A lot of the games do widescreen (even if the case doesn't mention it), and a few even do 1080 and 720 resolutions. The HD games I've tried play smoothly too, which is wild considering the Xbox is last generation hardware.[/quote]

The Xbox was the superior machine from the last gen so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. While everyone else swore by the PS2, I was more than happy to buy all the multiplatform games for the Xbox.

bread's done
Back