Missing hard drive space...?

kamui34

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hello friends!

Been 6 years since I upgraded my computer, so I may not been up to date on new technologies.

My hard drive is a Samsung 320gb (HD322GJ model) which is the only in the system. After installation of Win 7 64bit, total space amounts to only 127gb and some. How can I get the rest of the space back?

Thank you for your assistance.

Did you format before the install, or as part of the install process? There's no reason for your drive to be missing that much space. You may want to format the drive and re-install windows.

If you did format, it could mean you have a TON of bad sectors and the drive is ready to kick the bucket. Try the Error Checking tool in Win 7 to see if it's got one foot in the grave.

There is nothing wrong with the drive. If you originally formatted it under XP it will only see that first 127GB since XP did not have LBA support until Service Pack 1.

[quote name='Nogib']There is nothing wrong with the drive. If you originally formatted it under XP it will only see that first 127GB since XP did not have LBA support until Service Pack 1.[/QUOTE]

So I'm assuming the remaining GB became unallocated. Is there anyway to get it back without having to redo a complete install?

Check Disk Management (Start -> Right Click "Computer" and select Manage). See if the space is unallocated or not. If it's not, then Samsung has two utilities that may help with the HDD space recognition:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_DiskManager.html
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/ES_Tool.html

The first one isn't really meant for Windows 7, but seeing as your computer is 6 years old, it may help. Use the Windows 2000 option if there isn't any newer option.

The second one is the utility to test your hard drive for any problems. It's recommended you backup your data first since it has an option that can wipe all your data in the menus and if you don't know what you're clicking, it could wipe your hard drive.

bread's done
Back