MLB 09: The Show - March 3, 2009 - Demo Out Now!

Forgive me if the answer is obvious, but there's a lot of thread here- have the teams for the league already been chosen? I'm getting a PS3 next week, and I'd like to play as the White Sox if possible.

[quote name='Matt Young']Forgive me if the answer is obvious, but there's a lot of thread here- have the teams for the league already been chosen? I'm getting a PS3 next week, and I'd like to play as the White Sox if possible.[/quote]

Awesome that you're getting a PS3! This is THE game to get one for. To sum up, we're doing a fantasy draft, so actual rosters for teams will not apply (last year, lots of guys were screwed by the weekly roster updates, teams giving up, etc.) Plus, the majority believes it will be interesting to see how people form their team. It will really show who knows the game, and it will HOPEFULLY make us immune to real life injuries reflected in the roster updates.

My personal preference for choosing the teams we play as is to do a lottery and just allow people to choose their team. Based on all the information we have, it looks like teams will have to be decided first, so once I confirm all the people who will play in the league, I'll figure out some kind of lottery system to determine the drafting order for teams. The player draft will have its own lottery though (assuming The Show doesn't randomize it for us). Hope that covers what you need to know. I created an actual league thread a few weeks ago to allow people to sign up, but I think it got knocked down a page. I'll bump it back up for you so you can sign up if you're still interested.

EDIT: damn you Frisky and your quick responses...lol.

For those of you that used the custom playlist last year, it can now hold 240 songs this year instead of ~50, or whatever smaller number it was, that it was for 08.

If you have questions that I can reasonably answer (nobody's online yet though the first roster update is live) having gotten it today, feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the heads up. Found it at my local store. Won't have time to play until later, but at least I have it early. Will probably spend the first few hours setting custom batter walk-up music, and tinkering with the other new options.

[quote name='dragonjud']Thank you for the heads up. Found it at my local store. Won't have time to play until later, but at least I have it early. Will probably spend the first few hours setting custom batter walk-up music, and tinkering with the other new options.[/quote]

WHAT STORE??? DOES GAMESTOP HAVE THIS IN ALREADY????? WHY HAVEN'T THEY CALLED ME FOR MY PRE-ORDER?!?!?!

Sorry for the shouting. This game excites me...haha :)

[quote name='n8rockerasu']WHAT STORE??? DOES GAMESTOP HAVE THIS IN ALREADY????? WHY HAVEN'T THEY CALLED ME FOR MY PRE-ORDER?!?!?!

Sorry for the shouting. This game excites me...haha :)[/quote]

Local NY store (not gamestop). Anyone in the area can pm me, and I'll give you location. Won't put it here, so they don't get in trouble.

[quote name='Matt Young']Forgive me if the answer is obvious, but there's a lot of thread here- have the teams for the league already been chosen? I'm getting a PS3 next week, and I'd like to play as the White Sox if possible.[/quote]
Young, we need to play D'backs/Dodgers when I get this game. :cool:

I loved last years game, but I only rented it. I plan on buying 09 since it looks amazing, I'm only apprehensive about joining the league since I'm not very good (based on playing the demo.) Can someone who sucks join? :lol:

[quote name='yukine']I loved last years game, but I only rented it. I plan on buying 09 since it looks amazing, I'm only apprehensive about joining the league since I'm not very good (based on playing the demo.) Can someone who sucks join? :lol:[/quote]

Absolutely man! I mean, I don't think everybody here is a superstar or anything, but if you can accept losses as a "learning experience", I think you'd do fine. Even in my 2.0 league last year, we had a few guys learning as they went along. And you'll have 2 weeks to get familiar with the game anyway, since I'm not starting the league until at least March 17th. Being committed is the biggest thing. I think I speak for everybody when I say we appreciate committment more than skill. If that's you, feel free to sign up!

LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Spent about two hours setting up my roster (unfairly to my advantage), and setting my jukebox. Also setup all my batter walk-up music.
A few observations:
1) It looks better than it ever did.
2) Hall of Famers make the pool of your free-agency (want Nolan Ryan in your starting five?)...and of course Manny is still available.
3) A few new phrases in the commentary, but it consists mostly of the dialog from last year (It was always fine to begin with)
4) It's still the best Baseball game in town.

I noticed that the ability to save replays actually saves them to the XMB, so you can probably upload them to YouTube in the browser if you have plays to show off.

I'll go buy this right now if it's already out.

EDIT: called Gamestop, they told me March 3rd so where are you guys getting it?

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to load in that huge playlist that got linked a few pages back?

Mom and pop stores have it (Gamestops have it also) but the street date is March 3rd. You can try Wal-Mart, sometimes they break street dates.. Otherwise Frisky has it because he's a journalist.

These are the instructions they gave on OperationSports:

Download the Zips and after unzipping them throw the contents onto a flash drive and load into PS3. When looking at the flash drive through PS3 you have to (While hi-lighting the flash drive) hit the triangle and select "Show All". This allows the PS3 to see the secondary folders.
Then go to the main folders for each pack (which will be called the same as the PACKS: MISC Sounds and Instruments PACK, Crowd Vendor Ump PACK, Players and Team Extras PACK and lastly Songs Clip Pack) and hit Triangle and select "Copy". Do this for each main folder.

You may get 1 or 2 files when the copying is happening that come up with a box about it already copying that file. Select "New Save" and do not select overwrite. What is happening is it sees that same file data/code whatever already in another folder (assigned to a player or in the song clip folder depending on what folders you copy first)

Once done you should have different albums on the PS3 now. Player album, Specifically named team extras album for teams we had extra sounds for like HR music etc., Sound Clips album, Ump album, crowd album and a Misc Album.

I hope I explained it well enough. It worked on mine
smile.gif

And here's the link again in case people missed it the first time:
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/scea-sports-mlb/295341-custom-sound-packs.html

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Mom and pop stores have it (Gamestops have it also) but the street date is March 3rd. You can try Wal-Mart, sometimes they break street dates.. Otherwise Frisky has it because he's a journalist.[/quote]

ohhhh ok... yeah i called gamestop and they said weds.

Memory stick?

These trophies are hard to get, especially when a lot of them require you to play on All-Star or higher. Maybe I can get some of them with my 2nd controller. :whistle2:k

Amazon has my pre-order at "shipping soon". I won't get it by the 3rd, but at least it's in process a bit quicker than they did Killzone 2 for me.

[quote name='gunm']Amazon has my pre-order at "shipping soon". I won't get it by the 3rd, but at least it's in process a bit quicker than they did Killzone 2 for me.[/quote]
if you have Prime you can upgrade to release day delivery for free

[quote name='DestroVega']i don't have a flash drive though... is there any other way to do that?[/quote]

This is why I'm glad I bought my 60gb PS3 as soon as it got its first price drop. Having a card reader built in makes transferring shit so easy.

Any of you guys interested in a site dedicated entirely to Baseball gaming?

I just kicked it off earlier in the week. The forums went live today and are still in the works. The main page should be done sometime early next week.

Please give it a look and help this grow into one of the premiere Baseball gaming sites on the web!!!

http://www.nextgenbaseball.com/forums

[quote name='houtz']Any of you guys interested in a site dedicated entirely to Baseball gaming?

I just kicked it off earlier in the week. The forums went live today and are still in the works. The main page should be done sometime early next week.

Please give it a look and help this grow into one of the premiere Baseball gaming sites on the web!!!

http://www.nextgenbaseball.com/forums[/quote]

Sooo...pretty much, it's a site about The Show? That's interesting I guess. Thanks for the offer, but we've got our own group going on right here.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of the analog baserunning controls in Road to the Show since it's unresposive at times when my player doesn't move the way I tell him to. Not having the option to revert to the old controls wasn't a great move. I've also had some weird UI bugs with the HUD disappearing and the red circle, that highlights the ball when in play, was stuck on the ball when in my pitcher's glove.

Not really a huge deal, but I'm hoping I can get used to the new BR controls.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Sooo...pretty much, it's a site about The Show? That's interesting I guess. Thanks for the offer, but we've got our own group going on right here.[/QUOTE]

Not so much. It's a baseball site. Dedicated to everything Baseball news, and at the moment a huge dedication to Baseball gaming.

It wasn't as much me trying to break up what you have here but to expand on it. If you're happy playing the same guys that's fine, but if you guys want to join you're always welcomed.

Also, Anyone can start a league up over there and just use the forums. It's obvious you like these forums but the offer is always there.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I come bearing bad news:

http://www.pastapadre.com/6664/early-response-to-2k9-and-the-show-online-play#more-6664

Damnit Sony. :([/quote]

Apparently there is a patch coming at the end of next week that will address some online issues, but it is unknown if that will affect performance specifically.

That's all I need to see. They HAVE to know that this is their Achille's Heel. A patch can fix the way the game interacts with the servers, and therefore fix the lag. NHL 09 had similar server issues that were cleared up with a patch. I'm amazed that Sony hasn't dropped Sportsconnect though because it has been and always will be a crappy service. But as long as they show me an effort to improve things, I'll be happy.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/27/mlb-09-the-show-saving-interactive-replays-as-movies/

Some more info on the replay movie recording I mentioned earlier:
Hey everyone, Greg Batalucco (Game Designer) back here to bring you another blog installment for MLB 09 The Show. This post will focus on the new feature that many of you have been calling for, saving interactive replays out as movies. We know that everyone likes to show off great plays or even funny ones to their friends. Well, now you have the capability to create your own movie from within our replay system and do just that. Now it is easy and fun to make movies and let everyone see your specific highlights.

Have you ever hit a home run to win a game or made a diving catch in the field and wanted to make a movie to show off to everyone? In MLB 09 The Show, it’s possible and very simple. Here’s how it works.

In the game, select a replay you would like to record as a movie. You can either use the regular instant replay or our replay vault (As a side note, replay vault allows you to go back to any inning or player at any time to get the exact play you want). Now that you have selected the specific replay you want to record, you can get started. On the replay screen, you will notice a notification in the upper left-hand corner that lets you know that pressing the L3 button is for recording/stopping the movie. This is important because the user must press the L3 button to start the recording process, then again to stop recording. All replay menu controls are usable like fast forwarding and rewinding your replay to get the exact shot you are looking for. You can also zoom in and out, and move the cursor and camera around to get the proper focus and angles in your movie. This will help you to find the perfect play or spot in a particular play that you wish to record. You can record as many movies, of the same replay, as you like. There is no limit, other than your hard drive of course. All movies are saved out as MP4s, and depending on your hard drive size, you can record numerous movies to showcase to everyone.

Now once you have finished recording your movie, it will be automatically saved to the XMB. You can then go to the XMB to see your newly recorded movie. It is that simple (note: you must be back out of the game and in the XMB to actually view the movie…sorry, can’t view them while still in a game). Once in the XMB, look under the Video section to see your newly created movie folder. The initial folder will show the title MLB 09 The Show - enter it to view your created movies. Your new movie will have a file name of the exact play, date and time of recording and length of recording. From the XMB bar, you can copy this movie onto a Memory Stick or USB drive and take it to your PC to further edit, or post to any website for your friends viewing.

With the addition of saving interactive replays as movies for MLB 09 The Show, you now have the ability to showcase your great plays or not so great plays into movies. It is a very easy way to let your friends know what type of player you are. So have fun and enjoy making movies of your gameplay in this new feature for MLB 09 The Show. We appreciate your feedback and know that your ideas help to make the game the best it can possibly be. Thanks for your time and we hope you enjoy MLB 09 The Show and making movies!

And to get you ready for the game’s release on Tuesday, here’s a nice chunk of MLB 09 The Show gameplay to drool over:

Frisky, since you have the game (I think), can you please tell us if AA and AAA are the only playable minor leagues or if there is High A ball? Thanks.

that video just looks like a shitty internet connection on both sides. i barely had any problems last year when playing online. granted its not going to be as perfect as playing with someone sitting next to you, but its sure as hell isnt going to look like that if you arent a fool and try and play with the $10/month shitty dsl connection.

Ahhh...I can't even begin to comprehend how that is possible. How can a game that looks THAT good play so horribly online? That video looked frighteningly similar to the way 08 played. You'd think The Show was made by Nintendo with their "People don't care about online gaming" philosophy.

I'm praying the upcoming patch will at least improve it. If not, the league will more than likely be postponed until April 1st while we hash out exactly how bad it's going to be and who still wants to play. It's just sickening that of all the little tweaks they implemented, the server went completely untouched.

[quote name='lt_homer']that video just looks like a shitty internet connection on both sides. i barely had any problems last year when playing online. granted its not going to be as perfect as playing with someone sitting next to you, but its sure as hell isnt going to look like that if you arent a fool and try and play with the $10/month shitty dsl connection.[/quote]

While that might be fairly accurate, the problem is for whatever reason, The Show requires more bandwidth than any console game I've ever seen. The way it acts, you'd think the freakin Sportsconnect service was acting as a firewall because the two players never seem to be synced up and you get a lot of pauses for "traffic". It's been like this since 06. Not sure what's it's going to take to get it fixed.

I rather wait and see how it plays for me instead of commentng on some video where there are countless things that could be the problem.... but thats just me.

Anyone else get the call about picking up MLB The Show (or 2K9) at midnight tomorrow night at Gamestop? My GS is doing a midnight launch for Halo Wars, so apparently they're going to just release the baseball games as well at midnight.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Anyone else get the call about picking up MLB The Show (or 2K9) at midnight tomorrow night at Gamestop? My GS is doing a midnight launch for Halo Wars, so apparently they're going to just release the baseball games as well at midnight.[/quote]

Yeah, I got one. The GS I pre-ordered at is in a mall though (one that normally closes by 9pm), so I really don't know how that's going to work..if it even does. I need to call them and find out. Not to mention, I've got 11 inches of snow to contend with as well, haha.

When does Amazon ship for release date delivery? It comes out tomorrow and they still haven't shipped it out. Seems a little odd.

Nevermind they are finally preparing it, so I guess they use overnight shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even eager to get this too early, I dont even wanna start my franchise until everyone signs... which means Manny really. actually, i want that roster to show up with all the real AAA players before i start

bread's done
Back